Corruption is one of the factors that promotes political violence and other forms of human rights abuses. Sri Lanka went through such a stage during the previous administration. The people reacted strongly against corruption by changing the corrupt administration by the power of the ballot in January 2015 at the presidential election and again at the parliamentary election in August 2016.
Columns News - CEYLON POLITICS
President Maithripala Sirisena emphasized on making a full swing against corrupt politicians and to ensure good governance will be achieved, though not overnight, but eventually as he was determined to lay the foundation for that and commit the next four years in office giving priority to this endeavour.
Today will be the D-day. For the country and for many prominent figures in the political and administrative sphere as all political parties set to show their power as Sri Lanka too celebrates May Day despite deviating far from its true spirit of commemorating the Haymarket riots, which occurred in Chicago on 4 May 1886 or the legal recognition of the 8-hour work day.
President Maithripala Sirisenain at his home town Polonnaruwa addressing his people to greet them for the Sinhala and Tamil New Year said that he will not allow so-called economic experts to burden the public with increased taxes.
He added that some experts are not aware of the suffering of the people and he will ask such experts to go home. President was commenting on the media reports that the government plans to increase VAT, which is an indirect tax which affects you more if you belong to low income groups.
The Yahapalana Government lead by President Maithripala Sirisena and Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, seems to have taken a complete U-turn in its foreign policy adopted over a year ago, with the latter taking up his maiden visit to China last week to negotiate inking several strategic economic agreements.
With multiple explosions taking centre-stage in the world arena posing a terrorist threat globally, a suicide jacket that surfaced amongst other explosives in Chavakachcheri last Wednesday (30) was creating a political conundrum here in Sri Lanka.
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe celebrated his 67th birthday last week having President Maithripala Sirisena by his side while the Yahapalana Government was juggling two power crises; on one hand generating power and on the other securing political power.
The dry weather prevailing as a result of the heat wave developing across Indian Ocean by Friday, stopped power generation in all hydropower plants across the country, while the government was struggling to breathe some life into the Norochcholai Coal Power Plant. As a precautionary measure, the government said it will take over three privately-owned diesel power plants and the Cabinet last week granted its approval for it. However, another Cabinet memorandum presented to purchase emergency power from various other private sources had to be wrapped up due to protest by some ministers.
Last week was important because of two historic events. First was when Sri Lanka completed 20 years of becoming World Champions in One Day International (ODI) Cricket by beating Australia at Lahore in 1996. Second was, the general public ... .. .
President Maithripala Sirisena called a special meeting with Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and Foreign Minister Mangala Samaraweera ahead of last week's Cabinet .. .. .
Twenty six new Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) District and Electoral Organizers were appointed by President Maithripala Sirisena earlier last week, replacing .. .. .
The Head of the State and his Foreign Minister seem to stand poles apart when it comes to getting foreign expertise in the process of investigating .. .. ..
The presence of certain controversial individuals in the close proximity of President Maithripala Sirisena on few occasions during his historic State visit to Germany .. .. .
President Maithripala Sirisena seems to want to put an end to the indignities he suffered over the past one year, when he insisted that he knows how to lead his Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) to victory in the coming Local Government .. .. ..
- Namal slaps CBK with defamation 3345
- Pakistan still eyeing JF-17 Thunder Fighter sale to Sri Lanka 3141
- CID grills govt Printer, Director, others 3178
- LRC seeks Police protection 3134
- MR to meet Tamil and Muslim leaders 3187
- Leprosy hits western province 3140
- skipper of ill-fated boat remanded 3129
- Raggers will be promptly expelled 3151
- Double-speak from SB on Wimal 3155
- VX nerve agent killed Kim Jong-nam 3134
- More snags foul up Constitution making 3254
- NFPWHR warns of massive protest 3131
- Mangala meets US HDP delegation 3138
- SL Police deny ‘hunting’ refugees in HK 3129
- 1500 students denied Uni education 3182
- SLFP CMs to boycott meeting 3129
- Wimal not a party leader – Dayasiri 3131
- New Zealand-bound boat people held 3122
- Pension for disabled ex-soldiers 3123
- Divorce case ends after 18 years 3178
- Payagala death toll now 16 3953
- MR hits out at CBK 4054
- ONUR refutes Army claims 3948
- Case against Rohitha on 5 March 3956
- Nearly 10% of children don’t attend school – Survey 4112
- February – a celebratory month 3110
- Political mayhem 3123
- Significance of Sri Lanka’s legal profession 3114
- A house divided 3102
- Building castles in the air 3107
- Upholding children’s rights 5648
- Ronaldinho launches soccer academy in China 2211
- French possess fear factor, says Zebo 2218
- UB Finance main sponsor for STC Rugby for 2017 2212
- New circular issued to allow player poaching 2258
- Malinda claims seven scalps 2215
- Trinity destroys Wesley 2225
- Derailed in Sri Lanka 3654
- Wigneswaran’s irrationality Leading Tamil’s astray 3757
- A tale of woe and courage 3040
- On the Grapevine 2952
- 10 children and 33 grandchildren Centenarian vows to live 104 years 2940
- Is India Still Interested Developing Trincomalee Port? 3333
- SAITM students will not be accepted by any country– Prof. Hiran Amerasekera 3137
- I have no issues with the Minister– Anoma Gamage 3502
- LG elections should be under new system 3332
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2896
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3045
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 2010
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 2360
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3750
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3627
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3872
- UPS delivery drone has glitch at launch event 2691
- Arik Air investment offer rejected by Ethiopian Airlines 2689
- Facebook confusion over fake cancer babies U-turns 2690
- A guided tour of the cybercrime underground 2687
- Google’s self-driving firm sues Uber 2687
- JTB awarded for promotion of brand Jamaica at Rio Olympics 2691
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2727
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3044
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3076
- Malayalam film - “Orazhcha” (A week) 4553
- Sri Lanka’s Finest Talent – but Who Cares? 4549
- The mesmerizing mystery of Mozart’s music – Mass in C major KV317 (Coronation) 4531
- A Showstopping Performance 4765
- House for Rent 4553
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - part 9 4509
- Junsu 1507
- The fate of our woods 1506
- Celebrate ‘A month of love’ 1505
- Five new branch openings 1509
- THINC Sri Lanka Networking Conference 2017 1583
- ‘Our Shop’ for staff welfare 1509