Sri Lankan Cricket has grown healthier
By roshan abeysinghe
In my last column dwelling on the first Test match and at a very early stage of the game my poser was, has Sri Lanka turned the corner? Writing after just one day's play in the second Test, it appears that way. True Pakistan is the sixth ranked team in the world of Test cricket which is one place above the Lankans, but it's about the penetration of the fortress of their cricket and that's the UAE.
Pakistan has been untouched in these parts of the world and Sri Lanka's efforts so far have simply caused panic and to some extend confusion in the Pakistan camp. To start with, their strategy of turning tracks seemed to have backfired. The Herath special and good and true tracks too, have been utilized better by the Lankans.
As for the team itself, one of the biggest pluses has been Dimuth Karunaratne who has taken a massive role upon himself. In the past, considered more a second innings player, Karunaratne needed to step up with his efforts in the first inning too, that was lacking and wanting. In the UAE, the world has seen a different Karunaratne in the first innings. Pacing his innings with more determination and also showing a lot of positive intent Karunaratne appeared to have shrugged off his hoodoo and looks a far more relaxed and a confident player in this series.
Skipper Chandimal who was almost like a marathon man in Abu Dhabi seems to enjoy the extra load as batsman captain. It has definitely made him a more assured player who has cut out the frills in his batting. Looking at his innings' constructed so far in the series, it is definitely very mature and of quality.
The brightest out of the batting though brief was Sadeera Samarawickrama. Starting the tour with an outside chance of featuring in the playing eleven, the youngster would have been most surprised to see vice-captain Thirimanne being ruled out with a back injury.
To start with though he is not arrogant as a personality, he is certainly one with the bat in hand. The manner he tucked in to the bowling of Yasir Shah not allowing him to settle in was beyond a Test debutant as young as he was.
His inside out shot over extra cover and his loft for six stood out besides the many drives and pulls that were in the range of his innings. He definitely has the potential to be the most special player amongst the youngsters we have seen in the last five years which includes, Chandimal, Thirimanne, Mendis and Dhananjaya. He looks more exciting than all of them from what was on show.
As for the second Test match, it's far too early to predict any result especially when one considers the manner the last day the Abu Dhabi pitch played. It just came from nowhere and it's not clear what surprises Dubai could throw up. But going forward Sri Lanka seems to be getting healthier with their cricket. Look at options outside the squad of batsmen. Mathews, Gunaratne, Dhananjaya are quality and are in the options range for the selectors.
Prasad when fit, Chameera and Lahiru Kumara are bowling options that will compete amongst the quicks. It was heartening to see the recall of Vandersey and the inclusion of Aponso in the A team which gives more teeth to the spin department.
Over all one can say that the picture which looked bleak and also hopeless not so long ago is suddenly looking brighter for Sri Lanka Cricket. The key here is to utilize the available resources unlike in the past and maximize its benefits.
The inclusion of Samarawickrama and Roshen Silva seems to be a confirmation of that policy where the selectors will pay more emphasis to current form and performance than potential or history. This would mean greater opportunities for the quality players who kept missing out for some inexplicable reason in the past. It appears that Sri Lanka Cricket is in for some exciting times days ahead.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Millennials and Marriages
- Abu Dhabi to acquire ‘Salvator Mundi’
- MacOs High Sierra security fix
- Are Lemurs Going Extinct?
- An Echo of Womanhood
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide