Wiggy now thinks differently?
Northern Province Chief Minister C.V. Wigneswaran made a mind boggling speech, for the first time in a practical manner, realizing the ground realities of the Northern Province, since he became the first Chief Minister of the Province in October 2013.
Wigneswaran's speech at the newly opened centre for local products in Jaffna last Tuesday (4) was a treat for the right thinking Tamil political 'think tanks' who think that the confrontational attitude in dealing with the political and humanitarian issues of the North and the East will only lead to more and more catastrophic situations instead of finding amicable solutions to the problems.
After his retirement from the Supreme Court, Wigneswaran was leading a very peaceful life focused on spiritual and cultural activities. It was on the insistence of the Tamil elites in Colombo, Jaffna and abroad Wigneswaran came forward to enter politics with the backing of the Tamil National Alliance hierarchy.
The illankai Tamil Arasu Katchchi (ITAK) Leader and Parliamentarian Mavai S. Senathiraja was considered the most eligible politico for TNA's Chief Ministerial candidacy. However, Senathiraja became a 'kingmaker' by supporting Wigneswaran to become the Chief Minister of the Northern Province.
As the three decades of war had annihilated several Tamil political bigwigs in a ruthless manner there was a big vacuum for a refined lot on the Tamil political scene who could deal with the post-war political and humanitarian issues while strengthening peace and reconciliation in the country.
From the time Wigneswaran became the Chief Minister with his unblemished background in the legal fraternity, he genuinely voiced for the people affected by the war without any reservation or hidden agendas.
mixed reaction from political observers
Wigneswaran's firm stance in highlighting the grievances and seeking justice for the people victimized by the war led to a mixed reaction from the political observers, whether the outspoken Chief Minister's comments would damage the hard earned normalcy in the North and the East or would lead to amicable solutions for the problems.
However, the speech made by Wigneswaran last Tuesday has very well highlighted though the Chief Minister was aggressive in expressing his views he was very much aware that the confrontational approach in Tamil politics was not going to help at all in achieving the political aspirations of Tamils while settling their humanitarian issues.
Wigneswaran in his address at the opening ceremony of the centre for local products in Mankumban, Jaffna said that several politicians act in a vengeful manner.
"Our people have suffered immensely in the past. Several of our politicians prefer to lead their political life without thinking constructively. They keep on coming out with accusations. Of course we have been victimized, politically. But we should not give room for enmity in our hearts and minds. Traversing the path of vengeance and adopting a confrontational approach towards the challenges we come across will only lead to destruction. Our mindset should change. We must evaluate our strength and our opponent's strength along with the strength of those who come forward to helping us. At the recent UNHRC session in Geneva we were able to understand the ground realities.
"We must adjust ourselves to the political environment around us. We cannot achieve anything by anger or hatred.
"We have to identify those in the government who remain supportive to solve our problems and we must join hands with them," Wigneswaran said.
Focusing on the economic side he emphasized that instead of expecting government jobs, the job seekers in the Northern Province should come forward to develop their own resources and become self-made entrepreneurs.
A few months ago Wigneswaran kept himself away from attending an economic development forum organized by Northern Province Governor Reginald Cooray in Jaffna with the participation of Central Bank Governor
Dr. Indrajith Coomaraswamy.
However, Wigneswaran attended an event organized by Minister of Development Strategies and International Trade Malik Samarawickrama a few weeks ago in Jaffna to promote the export opportunities of nearly 2,000 local entrepreneurs.
Appreciating the initiative in Jaffna by Minister Samarawickrema, Chief Minister Wigneswaran emphasized the need of changing the Northern Province into a highly developed region in the future.
So, Wigneswaran's new thinking which was reflected by his speech last Tuesday in Jaffna has well indicated that it had taken nearly four years, since he became the Chief Minister, to understand that the confrontational approach will only complicate issues further.
On the other hand, those who attempt, locally as well as abroad, to 'stir the hornet's nest' in Tamil politics by misleading Wigneswaran will also get the message from his latest speech that it is high time for them to have changed their mindset and worked towards fulfilling the political aspirations and developing the war-torn North and the East without adopting an antagonistic approach.
LATEST NEWSRead More
- Govt to issue fresh statement 3107
- GMOA threatens another strike 3067
- Rs 40 Bn more needed to correct flaws 3579
- Two more students arrested 3061
- Teachers threaten strike 3063
- Scot stranded in SL begs for help to return home 3065
- Return of Lanka’s boat people 3064
- GHSATD on strike 3055
- Daylight heist in Ragama 3052
- Six million in disaster prone areas 3051
- Details on Parliament vehicles withheld 3068
- Dambulla Rock Temple 3054
- India challenges China’s intentions 3059
- Surviving the Trump problem 3060
- Foreign policy geared to promoting unity –Ravi K 3056
- Strike cripples postal services 3057
- Garbage disposal facility at Puttalam 3049
- Anti-garbage drive in WP 3047
- J-SLPFL offers flood relief 3042
- Tea growers in doldrums after floods 3046
- The march of folly Uses and instruments of disinformation 1940
- TRUMP BREAKS EID TRADITION AT WHITE HOUSE 1946
- Amsterdam – Canals, Bicycles, and Rembrandt 1946
- The Ideal of Islamic Charity 2383
- Eid-Ul-Fitr a Unique Festival Time of Joy for Muslims 2386
- Frank de Boer appointed Crystal Palace manager 2379
- SLC hires Podiatrist from Aussie 2435
- De Villiers to meet with CSA in August to decide future 2381
- Galle CC players yet to be paid 2388
- Samitha seals Bronze in Korea 2380
- Mahela dismisses report about Indian coaching job 2383
- Jayantha follows Ford’s footsteps 2961
- Akash, Taniya, Dhuwarshan, Yannik and Reshan on Top 2381
- Ricciardo wins in Baku 2380
- Coleman downed again as upsets hit trials 2380
- Social media changing our lives 1746
- Correlation between terrorism and Islam Fact or fiction? 1759
- Eid-ul-Fitr A day of thanksgiving to God in all humility 2388
- I regret introducing commercial whale watching – Ranawake 2747
- Beaten but not defeated 2728
- Railway worries and TU action 3779
- TNA jittery over TPC – C.V. Wigneswaran 2246
- TPC with a hidden agendaSeeks to weaken ITAK – Senathirajah 2148
- Lanka ranked global 5th in marine pollution– GENERAL MANAGER OF THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY DR. TERNEY PRADEEP KUMARA 3577
- NGO funded ‘traitors’ don’t want peace in Sri Lanka – Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe 4655
- Amaranthé Bay wins ‘2017 Certificate of Excellence’ 1982
- Vespa and Aprilia SR 150 launched in Sri Lanka 1985
- The adversity of Trumponomics and Philippines goes 'Blink' 1981
- The need for a ‘Smarter Trade Strategy’ to be discussed 1981
- ThreadSol – Key to accelerating apparel exports 1982
- DR. SAMAN KELEGAMA: A STUPENDOUS CONTRIBUTION TO THE STATE, PRIVATE SECTORS 2002
- Exciting new leasing promo from Commercial Bank and United Motors 1981
- Kanrich Finance receives Carbon Conscious Certificate 1984
- Mastercard expands Labs in Asia Pacific 1983
- Sampath Bank named ‘Most Innovative Bank’ in Sri Lanka 1977
- Holistic social intervention The crying need for waste management 3836
- A time of gifts Beginning of my second year 2359
- Enlightening the younger generation 2692
- Explore what lies under the waves With the Power Ray Drone 1030
- She’s the Man: Review 1024
- Understanding Rheumatoid Arthritis 1291
- Eid-ul-Fitr A day of Love and Compassion 1297
- The Brains behind Royal and Regal 1511
- Try this when people come to you with their problems 3450
- International Yoga Day Celebration 3431
- Females born under Maha Bhagya Yoga 3444
- Latest Findings on Coconut Oil Kills Cancer in Two Days! 3705
- Birth Nakshatra says what you are – Part 4 3424
- Flying with the Flamingos Saga of the survival of the human spirit 3899
- Hindustani Vocal recital 3838
- Flying with Flamingos Literary exploration into protracted conflict 3899
- Battles and Laments 3890
- Six walks in the fictional woods 3847
- Argus-eye Indexical Dimension of Sign-Making 3826
- Latest lady chef in city 914
- Horton Plains invaded 1040
- Haiti 901
- GERMANY 878
- Invention of coloured crayons for kids 888
- Sri Lankan contingent to take wing 893