Meteorologists’ forecasts ignored
"A man's value becomes apparent based on the decisions he makes during a crisis"
– Andrew Carnegie
While the entire country was tangled in a crisis, it was possible to see persons with overflowing humanity. At the same time the disease of delaying making decisions and judgments was also apparent in some places.
Not only during the disaster of the floods but during all events due to the severely punishing decisions of nature (except for the Salawa explosion) it was the tri-forces which protected the government and saved face for them. It was the same, this time too.
"When people are faced with disaster you can measure their extent" - Ho Chi Minh
During all of these disasters it was possible to see the extent of loving people whose hearts melt. Similarly it was possible to see within this country, while people in the country were victims of an extremely horrendous disaster, how some dastardly politicians, being greedy for political power, to fulfil their political requirements, to establish their power even through the disaster of floods, fought and struggled and carried out political atrocities amidst the floods, in a disgusting manner.
The flood and landslide disasters did not affect only members of the UNP. Neither, were they only SLFP members, nor JVPers nor Communist or Sama Samaja party members. Also it did not affect only Tamil and Muslim people who were loyal to other political parties.
It was the people living in Sri Lanka who were affected. Here, there were no party, race or nationality differences. However, the blatantly unprincipled politicians who engaged in shameless politics in the flood waters, among the hills which had experienced landslides leading to the collapse of houses should feel utterly ashamed of themselves. Certain narrow-minded power-hungry politicians made extremely naive, wretched statements. One robed person renowned to be learned had said that this massive disaster took place because the heroes of this country are being called thieves. How low a mentality can it be?
In the month of May in the year 2016, the people of our country faced disaster due to heavy rains. Meteorologists with international knowledge had pointed out and predicted that during the monsoon rains in 2016 as well as in 2017, accidents and disasters as well as earth slips could take place. This warning had been issued several months ago.
Dr. Roxy Mathew Koll
It was reported in the media that, Dr. Roxy Mathew Koll, Meteorologist of the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology had made this forecast in the 'Roar' website of 13 February 2017.
Dr. Koll had stated that due to the increase in global warming causing an increase in the temperature of the Indian Ocean, there could be enormous change in the pattern of monsoonal rains in tropical countries. Based on these circumstances, the media reported that Dr. Koll had said, Sri Lanka will have to face a lengthy drought and short-term heavy rains which would cause immense disasters.
It is quite clear that responsible officials of the Ministry of Disaster Management in Sri Lanka and Ministers had not taken into consideration or taken much notice of the predictions and forecasts of such international level scientists.
The Minister who did not consider the predictions which Meteorologists had made that the disasters that occurred in 2016 will be repeated during the same period of time in 2017, was in Mexico when the disaster hit. The Minister had gone to attend the international conference, Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction, 2017.
There were media reports that the Minister had stated at this conference that the Sri Lankan Ministry of Disaster Management was pre-prepared to face any type of emergency disaster that takes place in Sri Lanka.
However, it did not take long, after the Minister's speech for the world to get to know that the pre-preparedness of the Ministry was nothing but false.
There is a Chinese saying, "If the future is not considered the present will be sorrowful". What happens in the country and will happen is the reality of this saying.
Martin Luther King had stated, "Racism is being blood-thirsty". The meaning of this statement was confirmed by the 'Naanasaaras' of the 'Abasaranang' Sect, and certain activities of their attempts at making this country a pool of blood were swept away in the currents of the floods. Even then those sinful activities could once again raise their heads. The projects will be prepared by these persons who stormed into the Homagama Courts in order to bring to the fore their sinful intentions, while giving the face of political extremism as well as a racist face to the floods and the landslides, and behaving in an improper manner which landed them in remand but were subsequently released on bail.
Citizens of Sri Lanka
Nature does not discriminate between races. There are no religious differences either. It was the citizens of Sri Lanka who suffered due to flood waters, landslides and drought.
As a responsible government it should ensure that these members of the group led by 'Asaaranaana' which is trying to put a face of racism on the disasters that the people have had to suffer, which nature doles out sans any discrimination of race, caste, religion and so on, do not spread out across the country. It is curious why the government is maintaining a deafening silence without listening to the challenging statements which could set the entire country aflame in a few minutes.
It is no secret that the government and the government Ministry of Disaster Management have failed to supply the relief people expected when they were rendered destitute through droughts, floods, disasters, falling trees, landslides at garbage dumps, explosions and so on.
Setting aside the welfare of the people, at least these people should consider their future political protection and think about safeguarding it and bring about a change in this sluggish, pattern of administration. If not what will happen is that room will be created in the minds of the people for the dishonest wishes of the power-hungry, the extremists and racists. It would be very damaging to the Maithri-Ranil government.
"The government should be fearless. At the same time thoughtful. That is everybody's opinion. However it never happens". Not confirming this statement made by John Gardner can ensure victory for the Maithri – Ranil government. If not, what will happen is extremists, power-hungry individuals and racists will become stronger.
The government should succeed in realizing that it is extremely damaging to them, to their political future, to the country and the citizens of the country and act accordingly. If not it will turn out to be unsuccessful and will fail.
- Police media spokesman quits 2775
- IUSF Convener remanded 2750
- Reserves Grow To $ 7B 2750
- US, EU Growth To Aid Exports 2753
- Govt’s response ‘most brutal’ says MR 2863
- Heavy showers as SW Monsoon Breaks 2758
- IMF’s 3rd tranche in July 2741
- Former Govts Racketed in Bonds 3075
- Automatic pricing mechanisms for CEB, CPC 2767
- Hard landing for SriLankan Board? 2772
- Ravi K behind stink in alcohol industry – Anura Kumara 2911
- VAC says Aloysius dodging taxes 2754
- Won’t dump garbage in Meethotamulla 2740
- CB Governor Lowers Growth Forecast 2802
- Prado Imports for Ministers, MPs …Rs 3,000 Million lost in Taxes – PAC 2749
- Interviews completed 2734
- Gang of four busted 2746
- Malaysia First Lady in flood donation 2731
- Monks with a heart for the country 2747
- Batticaloa declared mine risk free 2728
- June brides smell fresh! 2339
- Longest serving royal consort 2344
- In praise of idleness 2341
- A Sri Lankan perspective Right to self determination 2410
- Sri Lanka Crisis and foresight 2792
- Sri Lanka to gear up for IRONMAN triathlon 2387
- Muroya soars to double repeat in Japan 2339
- Red Bull Campus Cricket returns 2381
- Verstappen dominate opening practice 2334
- Etisalat snaps-up Marija, Srinath 2339
- Pregnant 'Wonder Woman' Montano takes more baby steps 2337
- Dharmaraja win by an innings 2334
- ‘Shakspeare Shield’ Golf on 2 July 2340
- Three schools teams win 2334
- Our team is well educated says Rodrigo 2357
- Making a case for coconut oil 3115
- Wahhabism: The curse of Islam and Sri Lankan Muslims 3014
- Sri Lanka’s child marriage law Wounded victims 1999
- Appreciation Tribute to Dr. Asoka Thenabadu on his first death anniversary 2159
- Voyage of Rediscovery 2147
- Lanka ranked global 5th in marine pollution– GENERAL MANAGER OF THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY DR. TERNEY PRADEEP KUMARA 3277
- NGO funded ‘traitors’ don’t want peace in Sri Lanka – Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe 4593
- Wigneswaran and Copose no threat to the State 4101
- Move to oust Wigneswaran 3060
- ETCA is being played very badly politically – Prof. Razeen sally 2818
- Prostate cancer blood test ‘helps target treatment’ 2343
- Two Britons arrested over Microsoft hack 2340
- Parkinson’s disease ‘may start in gut’ 2340
- Measuring muscle gap ‘helps players back on their feet’ 2335
- Cardiologist: Breast implants skew heart attack test 2334
- Green light for UK driverless car road trials 2334
- Sega debuts free classic games on mobiles 2336
- WhatsApp rises as a major force in news media 2344
- HS2 franchise: Bidder shortlist revealed 2337
- Wimbledon champion Boris Becker declared bankrupt 2346
- A time of gifts Beginning of my second year 2336
- Enlightening the younger generation 2669
- India needs to re-calibrate relations with Sri Lanka 3523
- The Brains behind Royal and Regal 1474
- Way to go France 1468
- In commemoration of late President Ranasinghe Premadasa’s 93rd birth Anniversary (23.06.2017) AN ODE 1644
- Soul Searching with Yoga Om to you on International Yoga Day 1625
- Highend Collecting 1614
- Bound Angle pose Baddha Konasana 1747
- The Christlike Life of Lahiri Mahasaya 1800
- Planets located in the 1st House and their effects 1808
- TRANSIT IN EMPLOYMENT 2 1724
- Birth Nakshatra says what you are – Part 3 1749
- Pickpockets! 3624
- Haunted House 3567
- Violin recital 3590
- Banku Weeraya 3550
- Letters to a Young Novelist 3595
- Indexicality in Cinema 3564
- Early detection saves life 1215
- The predicament of the dead fish 2791
- Spectacular art extravaganza 2653
- Guatemala 2623
- History of astrology 2588
- Design redefined 2600