Lee Kuan Yew’s ‘manthra’ for a reconciled state
Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe met a group of young Buddhist monks at the Temple Trees on Wednesday (12) and discussed various important issues, particularly on ensuring the dignity of Buddhism.
The Prime Minister assured the young monks that Leader of the Opposition and Tamil National Alliance R. Sampanthan will not oppose Buddhism being the premier religion in the country and pointed out to the monks that when the Malwatte and Asgiriya chapters faced a crisis situation during former President Rajapakse's regime, the TNA leader stood by the two foremost Buddhist chapters.
The Tamil leaders from the British period always stood by safeguarding Buddhism and one of the pioneers of Sri Lanka's independence struggle Sir Ponnambalam Ramanathan and his family members Sir Ponnambalam Arunachalam and Dr. Ananda Coomaraswamy were in the forefront in highlighting the importance of Buddhism and the marvels of Sinhala culture.
Sir Ponnambalam Ramanathan addressing participants at an event at the country's prestigious Buddhist institution Ananda College, Colombo, encouraged the Sinhalese students to speak in Sinhala when the Sri Lankan students showed an aversion to speaking in their native languages at schools.
Dr. Ananda Coomaraswamy doing researches and authoring several books on Buddhism and Sinhala culture – another member of the Ramanathan clan, Sir Ponnambalam Arunachalam who was a historian wrote extensively on ancient Sri Lanka and Buddhism's influence in the country.
Late Tamil United Liberation Front leader M. Sivasithamparam's house in Colombo was also severely attacked when the 'Black July' riots occurred in Colombo.
Commenting on the damage caused to his residence M. Sivasithamparam who was a trilingual eminent lawyer said that he virtually lost everything but he was happy to see that the statue of Buddha which was kept in his study remained intact.
The historic Buddhist shrine in Nagadeepa in the North has a portrait of late R. Ramachandran, who is a native from Ngadeepa Isle, which is known as Nainatheevu in Tamil, for the charity work he had done for the Buddhist shrine in the Isle. Late R. Ramachandran had been a senior official at the Sri Lanka Railways, and he was the father of two well known Sri Lankans – former Deputy Inspectors General of Police R. Suntheralingam who later ended up as a member of the Interpol, and renowned Eye Surgeon Dr. R. Pararajasingam.
Another prominent Sri Lankan Tamil who had taken Buddhism to great heights internationally was late Foreign Minister Lakshman Kadirgamar and it was on his initiative Vesak was declared as the day of International observance.
The Tamil intellectuals have always considered Buddhism as the refined version of Hinduism.
Therefore, it was realizing the contribution made by the Tamils in the country to Buddhism and Leader of the Opposition R. Sampanthan's broad outlook towards the religions, that Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe with his rich Buddhism background has enlightened the Young Buddhist Monks Front led by Ven. Welimada Chandrarathana Thera.
At the end of the meeting with the young monks the Prime Minister also made a fervent appeal to them not to use religion for political purposes and create problems over religious issues.
Sri Lanka being a country of several scholarly Buddhist monks had even experienced several setbacks politically due to the interferences of Buddhist monks in the country.
The latest announcement by the prelates of the premier Buddhist chapters in the country on bringing out a new Constitution has even made the minorities particularly the people in the North and the East to think how far their political aspirations will be fulfilled by overcoming racism and religious fanaticism.
Veteran Tamil politician and the Secretary General of the Tamil United Liberation Front (TULF) V. Anandasangaree in response to the announcement by the Buddhist prelates on rejecting the new Constitution has even appealed to the prelates in the country to give their blessings for peace in accordance with the noble principles of Buddhism, instead of creating obstacles to the moves to maintain unity and integrity in the country by making adverse comments on the moves put forward towards strengthening peace and reconciliation.
The TULF Secretary General in his latest statement has also appealed to the Leader of the Opposition R. Sampanthan to hold a meeting with the Buddhist prelates over the obstacle faced in bringing out a new Constitution towards fulfilling the political aspirations of minorities in the country.
Moves have even been mooted by the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) circles to hold a meeting between the TNA hierarchy and the Buddhist prelates to explain how best through a new Constitution a durable settlement could be reached for the ethnic question in the country.
Since Sri Lanka successfully preventing the country being divided by ending the three decades of separatist war, racism and religious fanaticism should not be allowed to rise again ridiculing the immense sacrifices made towards strengthening peace and reconciliation for an economically prosperous Sri Lanka.
From the Sri Lankan leader late President J.R. Jayewardene onwards, dreaming of building Sri Lanka on par with Singapore, it is important at this juncture to look into a famous saying of the architect of Singapore Lee Kuan Yew on fanaticism.
Lee Kuan Yew building a highly successful Singapore with the support of his late colleague Rajaratnam who hailed from Sri Lanka once said: "Churchmen, lay preachers, priests, monks, Muslim theologians and all those who claim divine sanction or holy insights, take off their clerical robes before you take on anything economic or political."
The Deputy Prime Minister of Singapore Tharman Shunmugaratnam who is another Singaporean of Sri Lankan origin being a pillar of strength to the present Prime Minister of Singapore Lee Hsien Loong making the country of racial and religious harmony focused towards its economic prosperity, the quotation from Lee Kuan Yew remains a 'manthra' for Sri Lankans to focus more on a reconciled peaceful nation.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- US Counter Measure to China-Pakistan Economic Corridor 3691
- NEW CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMS EXECUTIVE PRESIDENCY: MAIN BONE OF CONTENTION 3765
- Soldier arrested on sexual abuse claim Girl (15) the victim 3722
- Govt trying to pass Constitution in a corrupt manner – Wimal 3677
- Price index for coconuts Action against black marketeers – CCB Chairman 3677
- Call to hike tax on cheap fags Prevent switch by high brand smokers 3672
- Overseas job market Drop in women recruits – Thalatha 3669
- Two-thirds of Americans oppose strike on NK Majority trust military to handle crisis 3672
- Man held in mobile narco bust Cancer pills sold at Rs 100 each 3679
- Fowl story… a mega egg This Hen has been fouled! 3865
- SWRD Commemoration tomorrow 3656
- SAITM should get priority over Constitution – Premajayantha 3669
- Gag on JMP at Ja-ela Bala Mandala Ravi accused of instigating issue 3667
- Detaining young couples found in Parks HR activists cry foul 4291
- New laws to promote tourism Bid to boost economy – Ranil 3664
- Rumours linking him to Rohingya Rishad complains to CID 3668
- TUs act according to political agendas – Rajitha Govt to take over estate hospitals 3751
- Bite worse than bark Stray dogs & the spread of rabies 3125
- Claiming Defamation of Judiciary BASL requests CJ take action against Ranjan 2627
- Polls to 3 PCs after delimitation 2621
- Unitary or united, undivided and indivisible Executive Presidency or Westminster Premier 3102
- Water, a key issue in South Asian Geopolitics Sino-Indian battle over Brahmaputra River 3063
- Geneva Resolution Govt. commits ‘hara kiri’ 3145
- Samukka:A Novel by Jayani Pinnawale- Translated by Edmund Jayasuriya 3007
- Govt passes bill,loses MP 3015
- Royal, Visakha clinch waterpolo crowns 3494
- Sri Lanka clinch Plate 3491
- Asian Indoor Athletic and Martial Art Games Lankan grapplers crash out 3431
- SLC seeks support on ICC inquiry 3434
- S. De S. Jayasinghe emerge champions 3425
- Marquez wins Aragon GP 3427
- 43rd National Sports Festival 2017 Janaka and Vidusha best athletes 3465
- India on course to clinch series 3420
- 25th Singer – MCA Premier League 2018 MAS Unichela records 6th win in a row 3419
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under 19 Cricket Innings win for Antonians and Thomians 3418
- CEB JTUA’s continuous strike A 10% salary hike solves the family conflict 2924
- Interim report of the Steering Committee of CA Deep divisions in political parties 2931
- Enter Arjuna Mahendran! 3835
- Interim report on constitutional reforms Salient features 3088
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3265
- Betel chewing main cause of oral cancer – Dr. Hemantha Amarasinghe 3205
- Lankan lawmakers have a ‘unitary mindset’ -Jayampathy 2797
- No cause to panic that LTTE will raise head again – DEFENCE SECRETARY KAPILA WAIDYARATNE PC 3008
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4144
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 3374
- Andhra Pradesh keen on industrial corridor 3400
- US $100M Japanese loan for tea sector 3413
- Glyphosate ban has cut tea production by 20% 3478
- MV registrations down 40% in Aug 3642
- Global development financing short on capital supply 3397
- New Accounting body should not degrade Chartered Accountants - Bathiudeen 3407
- Mark Zuckerberg drops controversial stock plan 3387
- Asia markets close lower on Friday 3390
- World markets themes this week 3388
- Risk free policy environment needed to achieve 100% RE goal 3397
- Executing an Executive order 2798
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2620
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3641
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo? 2536
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2537
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2530
- best workout songs 1872
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1989
- close look at dreaded Sakata Yoga 2600
- Fortune and misfortune depicted in horoscope 2604
- Know the zodiac sign of your partner 2602
- Time to read first letters to toddlers 2582
- Secret Mantra that cures headache 2583
- CIBF and impact of culture on economy 2601
- Classical Chinese Poetry with a modernist face – 2 2596
- Time Never Waits 2607
- Hindi Diwas-2017 Indo-Lanka Hindi Sammelan 2593
- Music for Three 2586
- Handa Eliyata Wedi Tiyanna 2586
- Books, glorious books! 1933
- Every little heart deserves the best care 1933
- IN THE NICK OF THE TIME BUT YET.. 1933
- The Sri Lankan who always went places 1923
- The treatment of Diabetic Foot 1934
- Sri Lankans and their right to know 1925