Arrest of a Senior DIG
The Trial-at-Bar hearing of the brutal murder of school girl Vithya Sivaloganathan in Punkuduthivu, Jaffna has led to the arrest of Senior Deputy Inspector General of Police, Lalith Jayasinghe who was serving in Jaffna when the terrifying incident took place in May 2015.
The Police sleuths have found the Senior DIG's alleged involvement in paving the way for the prime suspect Mahalingam Sasikumar alias Swiss Kumar to leave Jaffna soon after he was placed under Police custody in connection with the murder of Vithya.
The investigations carried out in the past two years have made startling revelations of suspects in the rape and murder of the seventeen-year-old Vithya having links with an international network of pornography.
The gruesome murder of Vithya shook not only the Jaffna Peninsula, the barbaric incident had also sent shockwaves throughout the country making several women's rights organizations to seek justice over the murder of Vithya.
Senior DIG Lalith Jayasinghe who is presently serving in the Central Province is the very first senior serving Police officer to be taken into custody in connection with a murder case.
Soon after the brutal incident occurred in Jaffna, DIG Lalith Jayasinghe was clueless when the press had come out with several questions on carrying out the preliminary investigation into the murder of Vithya.
It is interesting to note that the Vithya Sivaloganathan murder trial has turned into a high profile affair, with not only the alleged involvement of a senior serving DIG, but also the alleged links the former Dean of the Colombo Law Faculty V.T. Thamilmaran had with the prime suspect Swiss Kumar.
Though the prime suspect, Swiss Kumar has been known as a person who arrived from Switzerland, however,the Swiss Embassy in Colombo has clearly stated that the suspect was not a Swiss citizen.
The former Law Faculty Dean, Thamilmaran being a native of Punkuduthivu, the area where the tragedy had occurred, had already given evidence before the Trial-at-Bar on handing over the prime suspect to the Police after he surrendered in his presence.
However, senior DIG Jayasinghe has denied all allegations levelled against him in connection with the prime suspect escaping from Jaffna after being placed under police custody.
According to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) substantial evidence is in the possession of Police sleuths going over the DIG's alleged involvement with regard to the issue of Swiss Kumar.
Vithya's brutal murder has thrown a huge challenge in the backdrop of initiatives taken to gain the confidence of the people regarding law enforcement to strengthen law and order in the Northern Province with the end of the separatist war.
Already several Police officials have been convicted for their involvement over various nefarious activities and some of them continue to be under close scrutiny over incidents such as the mysterious death of rugby player Wasim Thajudeen and now a senior serving DIG has been taken into custody for his alleged involvement in the murder of Vithya Sivaloganathan.
The brutal murder of Vithya was even described as the outcome of the anarchic situation which prevailed for nearly three decades as a result of the collapse of law and order in the Northern Province.
Vithya's murder which had led to the study on the changes which had occurred due to the three decades of a darker period, revealed how far antisocial elements had stretched their arms in taking law into their hands.
Therefore, the arrest of former Jaffna Senior DIG Lalith Jayasinghe in the Vithya Sivaloganathan murder case , whether the Police 'bigwig' is guilty or not, has highlighted the need for those who have been tasked with maintaining law and order to be ever vigilant, committed and focused with the issues which come under their purview.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- US Counter Measure to China-Pakistan Economic Corridor 3691
- NEW CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMS EXECUTIVE PRESIDENCY: MAIN BONE OF CONTENTION 3765
- Soldier arrested on sexual abuse claim Girl (15) the victim 3723
- Govt trying to pass Constitution in a corrupt manner – Wimal 3677
- Price index for coconuts Action against black marketeers – CCB Chairman 3677
- Call to hike tax on cheap fags Prevent switch by high brand smokers 3672
- Overseas job market Drop in women recruits – Thalatha 3669
- Two-thirds of Americans oppose strike on NK Majority trust military to handle crisis 3672
- Man held in mobile narco bust Cancer pills sold at Rs 100 each 3679
- Fowl story… a mega egg This Hen has been fouled! 3871
- SWRD Commemoration tomorrow 3656
- SAITM should get priority over Constitution – Premajayantha 3670
- Gag on JMP at Ja-ela Bala Mandala Ravi accused of instigating issue 3667
- Detaining young couples found in Parks HR activists cry foul 4292
- New laws to promote tourism Bid to boost economy – Ranil 3664
- Rumours linking him to Rohingya Rishad complains to CID 3669
- TUs act according to political agendas – Rajitha Govt to take over estate hospitals 3751
- Bite worse than bark Stray dogs & the spread of rabies 3125
- Claiming Defamation of Judiciary BASL requests CJ take action against Ranjan 2627
- Polls to 3 PCs after delimitation 2621
- Unitary or united, undivided and indivisible Executive Presidency or Westminster Premier 3102
- Water, a key issue in South Asian Geopolitics Sino-Indian battle over Brahmaputra River 3064
- Geneva Resolution Govt. commits ‘hara kiri’ 3145
- Samukka:A Novel by Jayani Pinnawale- Translated by Edmund Jayasuriya 3007
- Govt passes bill,loses MP 3015
- Royal, Visakha clinch waterpolo crowns 3494
- Sri Lanka clinch Plate 3491
- Asian Indoor Athletic and Martial Art Games Lankan grapplers crash out 3431
- SLC seeks support on ICC inquiry 3434
- S. De S. Jayasinghe emerge champions 3425
- Marquez wins Aragon GP 3427
- 43rd National Sports Festival 2017 Janaka and Vidusha best athletes 3465
- India on course to clinch series 3420
- 25th Singer – MCA Premier League 2018 MAS Unichela records 6th win in a row 3419
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under 19 Cricket Innings win for Antonians and Thomians 3418
- CEB JTUA’s continuous strike A 10% salary hike solves the family conflict 2925
- Interim report of the Steering Committee of CA Deep divisions in political parties 2931
- Enter Arjuna Mahendran! 3836
- Interim report on constitutional reforms Salient features 3088
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3265
- Betel chewing main cause of oral cancer – Dr. Hemantha Amarasinghe 3205
- Lankan lawmakers have a ‘unitary mindset’ -Jayampathy 2797
- No cause to panic that LTTE will raise head again – DEFENCE SECRETARY KAPILA WAIDYARATNE PC 3008
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4144
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 3374
- Andhra Pradesh keen on industrial corridor 3401
- US $100M Japanese loan for tea sector 3413
- Glyphosate ban has cut tea production by 20% 3478
- MV registrations down 40% in Aug 3642
- Global development financing short on capital supply 3397
- New Accounting body should not degrade Chartered Accountants - Bathiudeen 3407
- Mark Zuckerberg drops controversial stock plan 3387
- Asia markets close lower on Friday 3390
- World markets themes this week 3388
- Risk free policy environment needed to achieve 100% RE goal 3397
- Executing an Executive order 2798
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2620
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3641
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo? 2536
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2537
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2530
- best workout songs 1872
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1989
- close look at dreaded Sakata Yoga 2600
- Fortune and misfortune depicted in horoscope 2604
- Know the zodiac sign of your partner 2602
- Time to read first letters to toddlers 2582
- Secret Mantra that cures headache 2583
- CIBF and impact of culture on economy 2601
- Classical Chinese Poetry with a modernist face – 2 2596
- Time Never Waits 2607
- Hindi Diwas-2017 Indo-Lanka Hindi Sammelan 2594
- Music for Three 2586
- Handa Eliyata Wedi Tiyanna 2586
- Books, glorious books! 1933
- Every little heart deserves the best care 1933
- IN THE NICK OF THE TIME BUT YET.. 1933
- The Sri Lankan who always went places 1923
- The treatment of Diabetic Foot 1934
- Sri Lankans and their right to know 1925