‘Sword Fights’ all the way!
Six gangsters of the Jaffna's sword wielding notorious Ava group with their leader were arrested in Colombo a few days ago and they have been remanded till 22 August when they were produced before the Jaffna Magistrate.
The crackdown on Ava group was intensified following the sword attack on two Police personnel in Kokuvil in Jaffna two weeks ago.
Inspector General of Police Pujith Jayasundara made directives by visiting Jaffna on curbing the Ava menace soon after the incident and it was the Police Chief's direct involvement that led to the speedy action towards arresting the key members of the notorious Ava gang.
So far Ava gangsters have carried out several attacks and Jaffna's civil society elites have pointed out that the notorious group has posed a huge challenge to law and order in the Peninsula.
The Catholic Bishop of Jaffna Rt. Rev. Dr. Justin Gnanapragasam in a recent interview with Ceylon Today even mentioned that the sword wielding gangsters behave in a manner like the actors in present day Tamil cinema films carry out attacks. Despite priority being given to stabilizing law and order in the Northern Province soon after the end of the separatist war by reopening the Police Stations and Court Houses, the notorious gangsters remain a threat to the law abiding citizens in the North.
As the general security situation remains tensed with sword wielding gangsters even targeting law enforcement officials in a region which was devastated by the ruthless separatist war, the political climate in the Northern Province also remains gloomy with Leader of the Opposition in the Northern Provincial Council S. Thavarasa urging the Council to be dissolved.
While Chief Minister C.V. Wigneswaran remains defiant in taking his own decision to appoint new ministers to the Northern Provincial Council (NPC) with a reshuffle he intends to make shortly, the Illankai Tamil Arasu Katchchi (ITAK) which is the premier party in the Tamil National Alliance (TNA) led Northern Provincial Council had decided not to accept any ministerial position in the reshuffled NPC.
Leader of the Opposition and TNA R. Sampanthan met Chief Minister Wigneswaran in the presence of the leaders of the constituent parties of the TNA last week.
The meeting which was held at the Chief Minister's residence in Nallur had heated arguments among the gathering over the powers of the Chief Minister in the NPC.
Chief Minister Wigneswaran being a member of the ITAK, the party leader Mavai S. Senathiraja, in contrast to Wigneswaran's stance on taking his own decision over the NPC ministerial appointments, has requested the fourteen ITAK Councillors in the NPC not to accept the ministerial portfolios in the reshuffled Cabinet at the NPC.
Sampanthan being the leader of the TNA, Chief Minister's defiant stance on taking his own decision on appointing new NPC ministers has led to a conflict situation in the TNA with the ITAK Councillors getting sidelined by Councillors of the three constituent parties such as PLOTE, TELO and EPRLF taking the upper hand in the NPC.
ITAK Leader, Mavai S. Senathiraja, has even stated at a meeting with the ITAK NPC Councillors at the Party's Jaffna office that Chief Minister Wigneswaran has become the puppet of other three constituent parties in the TNA sidelining the ITAK.
Therefore, the latest political situation in the Northern Province has clearly highlighted, as it was in the past, the Tamil politicians were not going to remain united forever not only in regional politics, in National politics as well.
The people in the North and the East who expect a stable political atmosphere on the regional level as well as on the National level to resolve several post-war grievances worry about the sad state of Tamil politics, and witness that history repeats itself in Tamil politics.
In the backdrop of sword wielding gangsters with other anti social elements such as drug traffickers and alcohol dealers posing severe threats to the post-war Jaffna society, the cyclonic atmosphere which remains in the Northern political scene is somewhat another form of 'sword fight' within the Tamil political hierarchy slashing the political aspirations of the people in the North and the East.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Hambantota Port to China India raises security concerns
- Indian Air Force Chief at passing out parade
- Statement from the Embassy of the State of Palestine
- Interesting battle at Havelock Park
- Thurstan win inaugural golf tourney
- History making Pulisic US men’s footballer of the year
- Knicks down Nets despite early exit for Porzingis
- 34th Mercantile Individual Tournament 2017 McLarens shuttlers Overall Champions
- Retired Hewitt takes tilt at Aussie Open doubles
- Lamborghini World Final 2017 Malagamuwa finishes third
- Committee clears Thilaka as SL coach
- Basnayake uncontested president at SLCF
- Premier League Club Cricket Primosh scores second ton
- Astron wins again at SLIM NASCO 2017
- NDB brings Santa to the doorstep
- Com Bank opens branch No. 259 in Yatiyantota
- Amãna Takaful relocates Matale Branch
- Lotus Tyres rewards sales agents
- DFCC Bank sponsors 2017 Inter-School Golf Tournament
- Huawei announces Christmas promotion
- Elephant House recognized by Interbrand
- Singer (Sri Lanka) partners with Pan Asia Bank
- Disney deal suggests the Tax bill may mean little for the economy
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- A Time of Gifts Winding up
- Landmine deaths soar in 2016 With record number of child victims monitors
- Unravelling Nietzsche’s ‘death of God’ mystery
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- We want a change in Muslim representation– Hasen Ali
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Millennials and Marriages
- Abu Dhabi to acquire ‘Salvator Mundi’
- MacOs High Sierra security fix
- Are Lemurs Going Extinct?
- An Echo of Womanhood
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!