- Traders violating controlled prices being rounded up – Media Minister
- Kataragama Esala Maha Perahara today
- BIA to be closed for three months
- Esala Full Moon Poya Day today
- Strategic discussion between the armed forces of India and SL
Rs 2 B cocaine haul rocks Colombo
By Premalal Wijeratne
The discovery of Sri Lanka's largest cocaine haul, a Rs 2 billion bust by the STF men, concealed in a Shipping Container from......Brazil, yesterday, drew President Maithripala Sirisena and Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayake to the site at the Customs Rank Container Terminal (RCT) Unit at the Orugodawatta Yard.
The STF was brought in by Customs officials who suspected the container held merchandise other than that which was invoiced. The STF team found packs containing an aggregate 91 kilograms of cocaine with a street value of approximately Rs 2 billion.
This largest seizure of cocaine in the country's recent history was concealed in three jute hessian bags marked 'SUGAR' with invoices supporting it. A leading sugar importer and two assistants have been arrested and are under interrogation by the STF in this connection.
STF DIG Ranjith Perera told this paper that following information gathered by the Police Intelligence Services Unit the container had been transported to the Orugodawatta Yard yesterday before it was opened for inspection.
Sources stated that inquiries were being conducted to determine whether the cocaine had been detected by the harbour scanning machine at the harbour, but other sources said there was doubt that the scan machine had detected the Cocaine.
DIG Perera said President Maithripala Sirisena had rushed to the yard as soon as he had received information of this unprecedented Cocaine haul adding that Minister of Finance Ravi Karunanayake had also visited the Orugodawatta Yard yesterday on hearing the news.
Sri Lanka Customs sources said the person who had imported the Cocaine is a rather well known sugar importer who has been in the business for over 40 years. He had declared the goods in the container as being a consignment of sugar.
The Cocaine haul has been handed over to the Police Narcotics Bureau (PNB) for further investigations.
The next largest narcotics haul was also nabbed by the STF back in 2014 when traced a Rs 800 million stock in Colombo.
- Human Library held in Sammanthurai 4235 🕔2016-11-04
- SEUSL gets Faculty of Technology 4388 🕔2016-11-04
- Japan honours Speaker Jayasuriya 4247 🕔2016-11-04
- Public sector employment census on 17 Nov 4319 🕔2016-11-04
- Falls 73 cents in seven days ER down Rs 150.19 2nd lowest value ever 4231 🕔2016-11-04
- Clean drinking water project SL to get US$ 60 M from ADB 4229 🕔2016-11-04
- Attempt to smuggle elephant calf foiled 4245 🕔2016-11-04
- UK Minister for the UN and Commonwealth Baroness Anelay to visit Sri Lanka 4272 🕔2016-11-04
- New Police Division To protect victims and witnesses 4249 🕔2016-11-04
- Amending Muslim Marriage & Divorce Act Azwar condemns government’s decision 4316 🕔2016-11-04
- Saving children from accidents 3253 🕔2016-11-04
- OFFENCES RELATING TO DOCUMENTS: FORGERY 3295 🕔2016-11-04
- Bond scam a political project of UNP 4254 🕔2016-11-04
- Presidential Elections and US Nuclear Policy 4236 🕔2016-11-04
- Russia-China Bonhomie: India Has No Reason To Worry 4227 🕔2016-11-04
- Police Rugby has made an Indelible Mark 3464 🕔2016-11-04
- Cops target top four finish 3212 🕔2016-11-04
- SLT e Sports championship Phase 2 in Kandy 3202 🕔2016-11-04
- Visakha- Ladies Annual Water Polo Visakha in 6th consecutive win 3192 🕔2016-11-04
- Lanka Plate Snooker in Kandy today 3186 🕔2016-11-04
- De Mazenod. St. Benedict’s and Isipathana on first inning POINTS 3213 🕔2016-11-04
- Windies end Test win drought 3196 🕔2016-11-04
- TILAK ABEYSINGHE NO MORE 3382 🕔2016-11-04
- 47th Sir John Tarbet Championship Ladies Makes History 3204 🕔2016-11-04
- Imesh hat-trick in Peterite victory 3175 🕔2016-11-04