- Traders violating controlled prices being rounded up – Media Minister
- Kataragama Esala Maha Perahara today
- BIA to be closed for three months
- Esala Full Moon Poya Day today
- Strategic discussion between the armed forces of India and SL
Rs 2 B cocaine haul rocks Colombo
By Premalal Wijeratne
The discovery of Sri Lanka's largest cocaine haul, a Rs 2 billion bust by the STF men, concealed in a Shipping Container from......Brazil, yesterday, drew President Maithripala Sirisena and Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayake to the site at the Customs Rank Container Terminal (RCT) Unit at the Orugodawatta Yard.
The STF was brought in by Customs officials who suspected the container held merchandise other than that which was invoiced. The STF team found packs containing an aggregate 91 kilograms of cocaine with a street value of approximately Rs 2 billion.
This largest seizure of cocaine in the country's recent history was concealed in three jute hessian bags marked 'SUGAR' with invoices supporting it. A leading sugar importer and two assistants have been arrested and are under interrogation by the STF in this connection.
STF DIG Ranjith Perera told this paper that following information gathered by the Police Intelligence Services Unit the container had been transported to the Orugodawatta Yard yesterday before it was opened for inspection.
Sources stated that inquiries were being conducted to determine whether the cocaine had been detected by the harbour scanning machine at the harbour, but other sources said there was doubt that the scan machine had detected the Cocaine.
DIG Perera said President Maithripala Sirisena had rushed to the yard as soon as he had received information of this unprecedented Cocaine haul adding that Minister of Finance Ravi Karunanayake had also visited the Orugodawatta Yard yesterday on hearing the news.
Sri Lanka Customs sources said the person who had imported the Cocaine is a rather well known sugar importer who has been in the business for over 40 years. He had declared the goods in the container as being a consignment of sugar.
The Cocaine haul has been handed over to the Police Narcotics Bureau (PNB) for further investigations.
The next largest narcotics haul was also nabbed by the STF back in 2014 when traced a Rs 800 million stock in Colombo.
- Human Library held in Sammanthurai 3881 🕔2016-11-04
- SEUSL gets Faculty of Technology 3911 🕔2016-11-04
- Japan honours Speaker Jayasuriya 3883 🕔2016-11-04
- Public sector employment census on 17 Nov 3924 🕔2016-11-04
- Falls 73 cents in seven days ER down Rs 150.19 2nd lowest value ever 3875 🕔2016-11-04
- Clean drinking water project SL to get US$ 60 M from ADB 3857 🕔2016-11-04
- Attempt to smuggle elephant calf foiled 3873 🕔2016-11-04
- UK Minister for the UN and Commonwealth Baroness Anelay to visit Sri Lanka 3887 🕔2016-11-04
- New Police Division To protect victims and witnesses 3868 🕔2016-11-04
- Amending Muslim Marriage & Divorce Act Azwar condemns government’s decision 3961 🕔2016-11-04
- Saving children from accidents 2918 🕔2016-11-04
- OFFENCES RELATING TO DOCUMENTS: FORGERY 2924 🕔2016-11-04
- Bond scam a political project of UNP 3871 🕔2016-11-04
- Presidential Elections and US Nuclear Policy 3862 🕔2016-11-04
- Russia-China Bonhomie: India Has No Reason To Worry 3854 🕔2016-11-04
- Police Rugby has made an Indelible Mark 2964 🕔2016-11-04
- Cops target top four finish 2852 🕔2016-11-04
- SLT e Sports championship Phase 2 in Kandy 2852 🕔2016-11-04
- Visakha- Ladies Annual Water Polo Visakha in 6th consecutive win 2835 🕔2016-11-04
- Lanka Plate Snooker in Kandy today 2850 🕔2016-11-04
- De Mazenod. St. Benedict’s and Isipathana on first inning POINTS 2853 🕔2016-11-04
- Windies end Test win drought 2841 🕔2016-11-04
- TILAK ABEYSINGHE NO MORE 2972 🕔2016-11-04
- 47th Sir John Tarbet Championship Ladies Makes History 2845 🕔2016-11-04
- Imesh hat-trick in Peterite victory 2833 🕔2016-11-04