I am under tremendous pressure- CB Guv.
By Ishara Gamage
Ceylon Finance Today: Sri Lanka's Central Bank Governor Dr. Indrajit Coomaraswamy (66) is under tremendous pressure in his bank confidence-building process, however, he said he is ready to accept those challenges and committed to introduce a more transparent and efficient Central Bank system very soon.
"Yes, I'm now under more pressure than three months ago when I was appointed as the Governor of the Central Bank", he told Ceylon FT at the sidelines of the November post Monetary Policy media conference on Tuesday evening.
He said there were some irregularities exposed in the onsite examination report which was compiled and submitted to the Monetary Board by the Central Bank Non-bank Supervision Department with regard to the controversial primary dealer Perpetual Treasuries, however he said they were taking further legal advice before coming to a conclusion.
"We need to see what the situation is. What do we have the power to do? What can we do?" the Governor said.
He also said that even though there were allegations against Central Bank...
...officers (as the latest COPE report indicated), he cannot take any action without finding proper evidence.
The Monetary Board will meet for the second time this week on Friday for a special session to consider the three reports released on the bond fiasco including the onsite examination report, COPE report and the document compiled by the special committee appointed by Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe last year.
"What I can assure you is that the Monetary Board would pay special attention to the recommendations in those reports, when they meet next Friday," he said.
He also said that the bank has been considering all options to enhance the countries' public debt management process.
"We have already stopped the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) trading in the secondary market, and also established the Bloomberg system that tracks transactions in real time, and also started a pre-bid brief to primary dealers and established an auction calendar," he said.
Responding to Ceylon FT queries he said that the Central Bank has already build natural firewalls to enhance the transparency of the bond transactions.
"Now all bond auction procedures must go through three different independent committees such as the tender board, technical committee and domestic debt management committee," he said.
The bank has also sought feedback from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank (WB) on a proposed new auction system which will be hard to manipulate.
"No system is perfect, but we want to improve it, so current auction-only system of the bond market could change depending on IMF and WB recommendations," he said.
The bank is also considering strengthening its Finance Investigation Unit to stop the ponzi schemes and other illegal financial dealings.
Failed finance companies
The governor also told Ceylon FT that the bank is now studying a perfect legitimate model to restructure the failed finance companies.
"We will soon announce our deposit repayment procedure for three failed finance companies which we named last month," he said.
- Human Library held in Sammanthurai 4120
- SEUSL gets Faculty of Technology 4204
- Japan honours Speaker Jayasuriya 4141
- Public sector employment census on 17 Nov 4190
- Falls 73 cents in seven days ER down Rs 150.19 2nd lowest value ever 4118
- Clean drinking water project SL to get US$ 60 M from ADB 4109
- Attempt to smuggle elephant calf foiled 4131
- UK Minister for the UN and Commonwealth Baroness Anelay to visit Sri Lanka 4160
- New Police Division To protect victims and witnesses 4123
- Amending Muslim Marriage & Divorce Act Azwar condemns government’s decision 4203
- Bond scam a political project of UNP 4141
- Presidential Elections and US Nuclear Policy 4120
- Russia-China Bonhomie: India Has No Reason To Worry 4097
- Can oil markets survive an OPEC implosion? 4089
- Legendary Musician no more Funeral on 5 Nov 4295
- Bond scam probe President promises impartial judicial process 4074
- Ranil arrives in HK 4056
- Mahendran returns 4103
- Port City project Lanka clears environment concerns 4095
- Marriage & Divorce Laws Muslims protest against proposed changes 4525
- Saving children from accidents 3161
- OFFENCES RELATING TO DOCUMENTS: FORGERY 3167
- The Blair Years Part Three Privatization’s disastrous route 6494
- Police Rugby has made an Indelible Mark 3295
- Cops target top four finish 3103
- SLT e Sports championship Phase 2 in Kandy 3102
- Visakha- Ladies Annual Water Polo Visakha in 6th consecutive win 3087
- Lanka Plate Snooker in Kandy today 3082
- De Mazenod. St. Benedict’s and Isipathana on first inning POINTS 3109
- Windies end Test win drought 3096
- TILAK ABEYSINGHE NO MORE 3270
- 47th Sir John Tarbet Championship Ladies Makes History 3093
- Imesh hat-trick in Peterite victory 3086
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Dimuth makes second ton 3065
- Sailors, Cops clash in opener 3067
- AFC Cup Football Tournament Laos edges-out Sri Lanka 2-1 3047
- Namal to coach CH 3090
- Triangular American Football League 2016 Colombo Lions take on Peshawar WolfPak 3112
- Criminality within societies 3678
- T-Bill, T-Bond market outflow, tip of the iceberg Rupee and interest rates in peril 6851
- CB bonds controversy reaches fever pitch 5324
- Dealing with Corruption Systemic Change not political victimizations – Prof Rajiva Wijesinha 8644
- Entire Police force is not to blame for this tragedy An unfortunate isolated incident 10656
- ‘Footnote group’ belittled AG 9973
- BASEL III FROM JANUARY-CBSL 3262
- Cabinet nods migrant worker pension scheme 2781
- We expect special treatment Rishad tells WTO in Geneva 2761
- ETCA a must given current situ – W.A. Wijewardena 2781
- Carson Cumberbatch’s Equity One delisted 2795
- Shares gain for second day 2784
- Japanese SMEs eye SL for India access 2759
- Alliance Finance wins CMO Asia award 2787
- Egypt floats currency Currency value quickly reduces by almost 50% against dollar 2754
- Sri Lankan students to China with Huawei 2806
- Commercial Leasing opens branch in Borella 2807
- Emerging Media wins Flame Award 2778
- RV Fashion wins award at FLAME 2016 2822
- BoC’s Green Banking goes with digitization 2958
- Commercial Bank offers exciting revamped website 2923
- Cigarettes Relation between price and consumption 6815
- Safeguarding its citizens 8173
- MISCHIEF AND ILLEGAL REMOVAL OF WRECKS 9162
The Flash returns 2754