I am under tremendous pressure- CB Guv.
By Ishara Gamage
Ceylon Finance Today: Sri Lanka's Central Bank Governor Dr. Indrajit Coomaraswamy (66) is under tremendous pressure in his bank confidence-building process, however, he said he is ready to accept those challenges and committed to introduce a more transparent and efficient Central Bank system very soon.
"Yes, I'm now under more pressure than three months ago when I was appointed as the Governor of the Central Bank", he told Ceylon FT at the sidelines of the November post Monetary Policy media conference on Tuesday evening.
He said there were some irregularities exposed in the onsite examination report which was compiled and submitted to the Monetary Board by the Central Bank Non-bank Supervision Department with regard to the controversial primary dealer Perpetual Treasuries, however he said they were taking further legal advice before coming to a conclusion.
"We need to see what the situation is. What do we have the power to do? What can we do?" the Governor said.
He also said that even though there were allegations against Central Bank...
...officers (as the latest COPE report indicated), he cannot take any action without finding proper evidence.
The Monetary Board will meet for the second time this week on Friday for a special session to consider the three reports released on the bond fiasco including the onsite examination report, COPE report and the document compiled by the special committee appointed by Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe last year.
"What I can assure you is that the Monetary Board would pay special attention to the recommendations in those reports, when they meet next Friday," he said.
He also said that the bank has been considering all options to enhance the countries' public debt management process.
"We have already stopped the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) trading in the secondary market, and also established the Bloomberg system that tracks transactions in real time, and also started a pre-bid brief to primary dealers and established an auction calendar," he said.
Responding to Ceylon FT queries he said that the Central Bank has already build natural firewalls to enhance the transparency of the bond transactions.
"Now all bond auction procedures must go through three different independent committees such as the tender board, technical committee and domestic debt management committee," he said.
The bank has also sought feedback from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and World Bank (WB) on a proposed new auction system which will be hard to manipulate.
"No system is perfect, but we want to improve it, so current auction-only system of the bond market could change depending on IMF and WB recommendations," he said.
The bank is also considering strengthening its Finance Investigation Unit to stop the ponzi schemes and other illegal financial dealings.
Failed finance companies
The governor also told Ceylon FT that the bank is now studying a perfect legitimate model to restructure the failed finance companies.
"We will soon announce our deposit repayment procedure for three failed finance companies which we named last month," he said.
- Human Library held in Sammanthurai 4334
- SEUSL gets Faculty of Technology 4581
- Japan honours Speaker Jayasuriya 4359
- Public sector employment census on 17 Nov 4419
- Falls 73 cents in seven days ER down Rs 150.19 2nd lowest value ever 4320
- Clean drinking water project SL to get US$ 60 M from ADB 4331
- Attempt to smuggle elephant calf foiled 4356
- UK Minister for the UN and Commonwealth Baroness Anelay to visit Sri Lanka 4369
- New Police Division To protect victims and witnesses 4351
- Amending Muslim Marriage & Divorce Act Azwar condemns government’s decision 4422
- Bond scam a political project of UNP 4357
- Presidential Elections and US Nuclear Policy 4330
- Russia-China Bonhomie: India Has No Reason To Worry 4324
- Can oil markets survive an OPEC implosion? 4293
- Legendary Musician no more Funeral on 5 Nov 4493
- Bond scam probe President promises impartial judicial process 4265
- Ranil arrives in HK 4248
- Mahendran returns 4299
- Port City project Lanka clears environment concerns 4278
- Marriage & Divorce Laws Muslims protest against proposed changes 4810
- Saving children from accidents 3348
- OFFENCES RELATING TO DOCUMENTS: FORGERY 3393
- The Blair Years Part Three Privatization’s disastrous route 6690
- Police Rugby has made an Indelible Mark 3602
- Cops target top four finish 3284
- SLT e Sports championship Phase 2 in Kandy 3284
- Visakha- Ladies Annual Water Polo Visakha in 6th consecutive win 3282
- Lanka Plate Snooker in Kandy today 3283
- De Mazenod. St. Benedict’s and Isipathana on first inning POINTS 3294
- Windies end Test win drought 3285
- TILAK ABEYSINGHE NO MORE 3483
- 47th Sir John Tarbet Championship Ladies Makes History 3294
- Imesh hat-trick in Peterite victory 3245
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Dimuth makes second ton 3253
- Sailors, Cops clash in opener 3266
- AFC Cup Football Tournament Laos edges-out Sri Lanka 2-1 3221
- Namal to coach CH 3268
- Triangular American Football League 2016 Colombo Lions take on Peshawar WolfPak 3319
- Criminality within societies 3854
- T-Bill, T-Bond market outflow, tip of the iceberg Rupee and interest rates in peril 7085
- CB bonds controversy reaches fever pitch 5537
- Dealing with Corruption Systemic Change not political victimizations – Prof Rajiva Wijesinha 8874
- Entire Police force is not to blame for this tragedy An unfortunate isolated incident 10847
- ‘Footnote group’ belittled AG 10235
- BASEL III FROM JANUARY-CBSL 3875
- Cabinet nods migrant worker pension scheme 2976
- We expect special treatment Rishad tells WTO in Geneva 2926
- ETCA a must given current situ – W.A. Wijewardena 2959
- Carson Cumberbatch’s Equity One delisted 2993
- Shares gain for second day 2966
- Japanese SMEs eye SL for India access 2956
- Alliance Finance wins CMO Asia award 2947
- Egypt floats currency Currency value quickly reduces by almost 50% against dollar 2945
- Sri Lankan students to China with Huawei 3040
- Commercial Leasing opens branch in Borella 3030
- Emerging Media wins Flame Award 2965
- RV Fashion wins award at FLAME 2016 3032
- BoC’s Green Banking goes with digitization 3211
- Commercial Bank offers exciting revamped website 3125
- Cigarettes Relation between price and consumption 7201
- Safeguarding its citizens 8367
- MISCHIEF AND ILLEGAL REMOVAL OF WRECKS 9367
The Flash returns 2973