Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, more commonly known by it's Korean title Dokkaebi which literally translates to Goblin, is a South Korean television series starring Gong Yoo, Lee Dong-wook, Kim Go-eun, Yoo In-na and Yook Sung-jae. The 16 episode drama airs on cable network tvN every Friday and Saturday since 2 December 2016.
In ancient times, Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) is an unbeatable general in wars, but the young King (Kim Min-Jae) is jealous of Kim Shin and kills him. Kim Shin becomes a Goblin, possessing an immortal life. At first he thinks that he is blessed, but he realizes that he is cursed.
Closer to the present day, Kim Shin has waited 900 years for a human bride to end his immortal life. One night, he saves a dying pregnant woman (Park Hee-Von) who is destined to die. Meanwhile, the Grim Reaper (Lee Dong-Wook) is unable to find the dead pregnant woman. The woman gives birth to a baby girl named Ji Eun-Tak (later played by Kim Go-Eun). Nine years later, Eun-Tak lives with her mother and is able to see ghosts. One night, her mother suddenly dies. On that night, she meets the Grim Reaper.
In the present day, Ji Eun-Tak is a high school student. She still sees ghosts and hears their whisper of "Goblin's bride." She now lives with her aunt's family, but she is mistreated by them. On her birthday, Eun-Tak sits by the sea with a lighted birthday cake. At that time, Kim Shin suddenly appears in front of her. Kim Shin does not know why, but he can hear her voice and appears in front of her against his will. Coincidentally, Kim Shin lives with the Grim Reaper at the same house.
Now, Kim Shin appears in front of her against his will, whenever she turns off the lights. One day, Eun-Tak tells him that he is a Goblin and that she is his bride.
Gong Yoo as Kim Shin, also known as Goblin
A 939-year-old immortal goblin and protector of souls who is looking for his bride, the only one who can remove the sword he was killed with, in order to turn him into ashes and rest in peace. He can travel through doors, freeze time, and save lives among other things when he wants to.
Lee Dong-wook as Wang Yeo, also known as Grim Reaper
A good-looking, amnesiac grim reaper. Those who have committed great sins become grim reapers in their next lives. He is the reincarnation of the King who banished Kim Shin and sentenced his family to death out of jealousy. Reaper cries when he sees the jade ring and meets Sunny.
Kim Go-eun as Ji Eun-tak
Han Seo-jin as young Ji Eun-tak
An optimistic and bubbly high school student who is also the legendary goblin's bride. She has the ability to see and speak to dead spirits. Immune to Goblin's powers, she can go through doors with him and when Goblin stops time it doesn't affect her.
Yoo In-na as Kim Sun, also known as Sunny
A bright and attractive owner of a chicken shop who falls in love with Wang Yeo. Kim Sun is Goblin's sister and the queen reincarnated. She always sees a fortune teller who warns her about the grim reaper, but she ignores it. Despite all the warnings she falls for Reaper Kim.
Yook Sung-jae as Yoo Deok-hwa
Jung Ji-hoon as young Yoo Deok-hwa
A rebellious chaebol heir and only grandson of the Yoo family. After being coerced by his grandfather, he has promised to look after and be a companion to the goblin.
Lee El as Samshin, goddess of birth and fate
Kim Sung-kyum as Deok-hwa's grandfather
Yum Hye-ran as Ji Yeon-suk, Eun-tak's aunt
Jung Yeong-gi as Park Kyung-shik, Eun-tak's male cousin
Choi Ri as Park Kyung-mi, Eun-tak's female cousin.
The series was written by Kim Eun-sook, who also wrote the popular series The Heirs (2013) and Descendants of the Sun (2016). It is Kim's second collaboration with director Lee Eun-bok after both working on Descendants of the Sun.
The first script-reading was held at Nuri Dream Square in Sangam-dong, Seoul, South Korea, on 30 August 2016. The historical scenes were filmed on 22 September in Gimje, North Jeolla Province, South Korea. The cemetery scenes were shot in Quebec City, Canada in October.
In Sri Lanka, Brunei, Malaysia and the Maldives episodes of the drama are exclusively streamed on Iflix within 24 hours of its original South Korean broadcast with English subtitles.
In Brunei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, the drama airs on Oh!K with subtitles.
In Japan, the drama will start airing in March, 2017 on Mnet Japan.
The series is available on-demand on Viu in Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia with English, Chinese, Indonesian and Malay subtitles.
Outside of Asia, the drama streams on DramaFever and Viki, both with subtitles.
In Thailand, the drama will start airing in early 2017 on True4U.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2183
- Wag the Dog 2195
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2145
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2167
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2170
- dead man was near fashion mall 2213
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2175
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2186
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2178
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2191
- Government can be sent home 2726
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2191
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2164
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2178
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2176
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2144
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2130
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 2953
- Singapore in the crossfire 3026
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 2974
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1814
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1860
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1830
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1817
- Palace shock Arsenal 1807
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1818
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1795
- Murray returns from injury 1805
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1789
- Galle win by 188 runs 1793
- Kapugedera ton boosts Kandy 1713
- Pakistan charges Jamshed in spot-fixing case 1713
- IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete 1716
- Game evenly poised 1710
- Saumy Zainab wins Championship 1777
- Keeping Cool 1811
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1821
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2403
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2158
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1417
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2535
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1865
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1809
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1830
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1808
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1837
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1799
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1818
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1817
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1813
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1808
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1812
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1815
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1805
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1803
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1810
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1857
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1825
- Economics of gambling 1705
- Trans National Aural Identity 3392
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3418
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3433
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3544
- From Couture to Kutir 3427
- Hybrid Sources 4829
- With a festive bang! 1047
- Easter Fun 1036
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1069
- Avurudu on the streets 1084
- Tick control 1061
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1055
- It’s time to save the world 1118
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1117
- Expert skincare and makeup 1142
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1103
- Exo 1131
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2224