Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, more commonly known by it's Korean title Dokkaebi which literally translates to Goblin, is a South Korean television series starring Gong Yoo, Lee Dong-wook, Kim Go-eun, Yoo In-na and Yook Sung-jae. The 16 episode drama airs on cable network tvN every Friday and Saturday since 2 December 2016.
In ancient times, Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) is an unbeatable general in wars, but the young King (Kim Min-Jae) is jealous of Kim Shin and kills him. Kim Shin becomes a Goblin, possessing an immortal life. At first he thinks that he is blessed, but he realizes that he is cursed.
Closer to the present day, Kim Shin has waited 900 years for a human bride to end his immortal life. One night, he saves a dying pregnant woman (Park Hee-Von) who is destined to die. Meanwhile, the Grim Reaper (Lee Dong-Wook) is unable to find the dead pregnant woman. The woman gives birth to a baby girl named Ji Eun-Tak (later played by Kim Go-Eun). Nine years later, Eun-Tak lives with her mother and is able to see ghosts. One night, her mother suddenly dies. On that night, she meets the Grim Reaper.
In the present day, Ji Eun-Tak is a high school student. She still sees ghosts and hears their whisper of "Goblin's bride." She now lives with her aunt's family, but she is mistreated by them. On her birthday, Eun-Tak sits by the sea with a lighted birthday cake. At that time, Kim Shin suddenly appears in front of her. Kim Shin does not know why, but he can hear her voice and appears in front of her against his will. Coincidentally, Kim Shin lives with the Grim Reaper at the same house.
Now, Kim Shin appears in front of her against his will, whenever she turns off the lights. One day, Eun-Tak tells him that he is a Goblin and that she is his bride.
Gong Yoo as Kim Shin, also known as Goblin
A 939-year-old immortal goblin and protector of souls who is looking for his bride, the only one who can remove the sword he was killed with, in order to turn him into ashes and rest in peace. He can travel through doors, freeze time, and save lives among other things when he wants to.
Lee Dong-wook as Wang Yeo, also known as Grim Reaper
A good-looking, amnesiac grim reaper. Those who have committed great sins become grim reapers in their next lives. He is the reincarnation of the King who banished Kim Shin and sentenced his family to death out of jealousy. Reaper cries when he sees the jade ring and meets Sunny.
Kim Go-eun as Ji Eun-tak
Han Seo-jin as young Ji Eun-tak
An optimistic and bubbly high school student who is also the legendary goblin's bride. She has the ability to see and speak to dead spirits. Immune to Goblin's powers, she can go through doors with him and when Goblin stops time it doesn't affect her.
Yoo In-na as Kim Sun, also known as Sunny
A bright and attractive owner of a chicken shop who falls in love with Wang Yeo. Kim Sun is Goblin's sister and the queen reincarnated. She always sees a fortune teller who warns her about the grim reaper, but she ignores it. Despite all the warnings she falls for Reaper Kim.
Yook Sung-jae as Yoo Deok-hwa
Jung Ji-hoon as young Yoo Deok-hwa
A rebellious chaebol heir and only grandson of the Yoo family. After being coerced by his grandfather, he has promised to look after and be a companion to the goblin.
Lee El as Samshin, goddess of birth and fate
Kim Sung-kyum as Deok-hwa's grandfather
Yum Hye-ran as Ji Yeon-suk, Eun-tak's aunt
Jung Yeong-gi as Park Kyung-shik, Eun-tak's male cousin
Choi Ri as Park Kyung-mi, Eun-tak's female cousin.
The series was written by Kim Eun-sook, who also wrote the popular series The Heirs (2013) and Descendants of the Sun (2016). It is Kim's second collaboration with director Lee Eun-bok after both working on Descendants of the Sun.
The first script-reading was held at Nuri Dream Square in Sangam-dong, Seoul, South Korea, on 30 August 2016. The historical scenes were filmed on 22 September in Gimje, North Jeolla Province, South Korea. The cemetery scenes were shot in Quebec City, Canada in October.
In Sri Lanka, Brunei, Malaysia and the Maldives episodes of the drama are exclusively streamed on Iflix within 24 hours of its original South Korean broadcast with English subtitles.
In Brunei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, the drama airs on Oh!K with subtitles.
In Japan, the drama will start airing in March, 2017 on Mnet Japan.
The series is available on-demand on Viu in Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia with English, Chinese, Indonesian and Malay subtitles.
Outside of Asia, the drama streams on DramaFever and Viki, both with subtitles.
In Thailand, the drama will start airing in early 2017 on True4U.
- Cabinet approves President’s proposal 3314
- UNICEF appeals for US$1m funding for SL drought 3305
- Three nabbed brewing moonshine 3300
- Two nabbed with narcotics 3300
- Madras HC issues directive 3305
- ‘Bunty’ captured in Sellakataragama 3309
- JVP condemns Govt attempts to protect criminals 3307
- UK bans laptops and tablets on flights from six ME countries 3301
- Tax on Palmyrah industry hits Northerners hard 3305
- Highest number of TB patients in Kalmunai 3300
- Contradictory messages on transitional justice 3319
- Can China save the global order? 3302
- Russia in Libya 3300
- Cabinet approves Ravi’s proposal 3309
- Buddhika sets Parliament record for petitions 3306
- Police to guard girls’ schools 3299
- ‘Find a good lawyer’ 3297
- President receives warm welcome in Moscow 3297
- Wimal to stay hungry 3298
- Army Chief of Staff 3296
- AA to send 12 Athletes for Asian Grand Prix 2806
- Junior Golf Championship from 18-21 April 2311
- Training Command win men’s/women’s titles 2311
- Milestone event on 26 March 2312
- Nestlè powers Kids Athletics 2311
- Ex-Wallaby details childhood sex abuse 2313
- U-19 Schools Div. Two L/O Cricket Annites meet Sebs in semi-final 2312
- Hamilton looks for fast start to new season 2312
- No.1 Kerber looking for Miami boost 2305
- Mortaza- Mahmudullah century stand in vain 2306
- Six rugby players held in rape probe 2305
- Richmond take on Maliyadeva in semis Today 2302
- Three schools advance to quarter finals 2304
- Milinda to replace injured Kusal in ODIs? 2381
- ‘Battle of Golds’ on 24th and 25th March 3421
- Jaffna Prepares for Chronic Kidney Disease 3303
- A Blueprint for Disintegration 3303
- Refugee returnee safety still in doubt? 3301
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3107
- LTTE atrocities also have to be investigated 3697
- Exporters to EU must be educated on Brexit – GM ECCSL Srinath 3251
- Manjula Amarasinghe new CEO of AM Kreations 2313
- Ceylinco Life honours 24/7 trailblazers of 2016 2311
- BOC Cards offer special discounts for Avurudu Shopping 2312
- BMICH remembers founder on Women’s Day 2310
- LAUGFS Eco Sri launches ‘YOU’ for Women’s Day 2311
- CEAT introduces 7 new tyre sizes Increases radial portfolio to 40 sizes 2312
- Unilever’s Vaseline ‘Skin Health Week’ addresses skin care issues 2311
- Cybersecurity: Best practices for CFOs Combating the vulnerability of finance to malicious attacks 2312
- The disruptive and destructive potential of fake data 2313
- WATERCARE CERTIFIED WITH ISO 14001 FIRST WATER TREATMENT COMPANY IN SRI LANKA TO BE CERTIFIED 2313
- KDU wins National Moot Court Competition 2310
- RED FM and Infinity Events present Red Lounge Let the rhythm spread like Wildfire! 2312
- DrinkDrive combats drunk driving accidents Sri Lankans get first taste of lifesaving new transportation service 2313
- SLIM RESOURCE PANEL GET-TOGETHER 2017 2311
- Cabinet approves SEC act Amendments 2314
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3456
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2400
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2397
- Musicalized Version of Nostalgia 5216
- The Many Faces of Galle 6079
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 13 5236
- Fiesta for Theatre lovers 5691
- Viramaya 2017 – Phenomenal success 5223
- Sri Lankan movie at Geneva film festival 5268
- To be or not to be 1290
- Kids get cooking 1288
- Mindfulness for successful living 1299
- The age of nastiness 1289
- 20 years of singing celebrated 1284
- How do we prevent rape and abuse? 1285
- Batteries to firebombs 1289
- The mundane yet entertaining 1282
- It’s bigger and better 1286
- Jimin 1290
- A brilliant match 1963
- Battle of the Maroons 1881