Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, more commonly known by it's Korean title Dokkaebi which literally translates to Goblin, is a South Korean television series starring Gong Yoo, Lee Dong-wook, Kim Go-eun, Yoo In-na and Yook Sung-jae. The 16 episode drama airs on cable network tvN every Friday and Saturday since 2 December 2016.
In ancient times, Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) is an unbeatable general in wars, but the young King (Kim Min-Jae) is jealous of Kim Shin and kills him. Kim Shin becomes a Goblin, possessing an immortal life. At first he thinks that he is blessed, but he realizes that he is cursed.
Closer to the present day, Kim Shin has waited 900 years for a human bride to end his immortal life. One night, he saves a dying pregnant woman (Park Hee-Von) who is destined to die. Meanwhile, the Grim Reaper (Lee Dong-Wook) is unable to find the dead pregnant woman. The woman gives birth to a baby girl named Ji Eun-Tak (later played by Kim Go-Eun). Nine years later, Eun-Tak lives with her mother and is able to see ghosts. One night, her mother suddenly dies. On that night, she meets the Grim Reaper.
In the present day, Ji Eun-Tak is a high school student. She still sees ghosts and hears their whisper of "Goblin's bride." She now lives with her aunt's family, but she is mistreated by them. On her birthday, Eun-Tak sits by the sea with a lighted birthday cake. At that time, Kim Shin suddenly appears in front of her. Kim Shin does not know why, but he can hear her voice and appears in front of her against his will. Coincidentally, Kim Shin lives with the Grim Reaper at the same house.
Now, Kim Shin appears in front of her against his will, whenever she turns off the lights. One day, Eun-Tak tells him that he is a Goblin and that she is his bride.
Gong Yoo as Kim Shin, also known as Goblin
A 939-year-old immortal goblin and protector of souls who is looking for his bride, the only one who can remove the sword he was killed with, in order to turn him into ashes and rest in peace. He can travel through doors, freeze time, and save lives among other things when he wants to.
Lee Dong-wook as Wang Yeo, also known as Grim Reaper
A good-looking, amnesiac grim reaper. Those who have committed great sins become grim reapers in their next lives. He is the reincarnation of the King who banished Kim Shin and sentenced his family to death out of jealousy. Reaper cries when he sees the jade ring and meets Sunny.
Kim Go-eun as Ji Eun-tak
Han Seo-jin as young Ji Eun-tak
An optimistic and bubbly high school student who is also the legendary goblin's bride. She has the ability to see and speak to dead spirits. Immune to Goblin's powers, she can go through doors with him and when Goblin stops time it doesn't affect her.
Yoo In-na as Kim Sun, also known as Sunny
A bright and attractive owner of a chicken shop who falls in love with Wang Yeo. Kim Sun is Goblin's sister and the queen reincarnated. She always sees a fortune teller who warns her about the grim reaper, but she ignores it. Despite all the warnings she falls for Reaper Kim.
Yook Sung-jae as Yoo Deok-hwa
Jung Ji-hoon as young Yoo Deok-hwa
A rebellious chaebol heir and only grandson of the Yoo family. After being coerced by his grandfather, he has promised to look after and be a companion to the goblin.
Lee El as Samshin, goddess of birth and fate
Kim Sung-kyum as Deok-hwa's grandfather
Yum Hye-ran as Ji Yeon-suk, Eun-tak's aunt
Jung Yeong-gi as Park Kyung-shik, Eun-tak's male cousin
Choi Ri as Park Kyung-mi, Eun-tak's female cousin.
The series was written by Kim Eun-sook, who also wrote the popular series The Heirs (2013) and Descendants of the Sun (2016). It is Kim's second collaboration with director Lee Eun-bok after both working on Descendants of the Sun.
The first script-reading was held at Nuri Dream Square in Sangam-dong, Seoul, South Korea, on 30 August 2016. The historical scenes were filmed on 22 September in Gimje, North Jeolla Province, South Korea. The cemetery scenes were shot in Quebec City, Canada in October.
In Sri Lanka, Brunei, Malaysia and the Maldives episodes of the drama are exclusively streamed on Iflix within 24 hours of its original South Korean broadcast with English subtitles.
In Brunei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, the drama airs on Oh!K with subtitles.
In Japan, the drama will start airing in March, 2017 on Mnet Japan.
The series is available on-demand on Viu in Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia with English, Chinese, Indonesian and Malay subtitles.
Outside of Asia, the drama streams on DramaFever and Viki, both with subtitles.
In Thailand, the drama will start airing in early 2017 on True4U.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2422
- Wag the Dog 2388
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2342
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2364
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2400
- dead man was near fashion mall 2407
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2383
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2377
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2390
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2396
- Government can be sent home 2942
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2397
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2355
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2369
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2372
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2307
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2269
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3120
- Singapore in the crossfire 3168
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3126
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2010
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2067
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2025
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2053
- Palace shock Arsenal 2002
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2016
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1985
- Murray returns from injury 2000
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1959
- Galle win by 188 runs 1966
- Kapugedera ton boosts Kandy 1808
- Pakistan charges Jamshed in spot-fixing case 1812
- IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete 1821
- Game evenly poised 1813
- Saumy Zainab wins Championship 1907
- Keeping Cool 2012
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2024
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2606
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2354
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1616
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2787
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2087
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2042
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2027
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2029
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2031
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2000
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 2029
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 2007
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 2011
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1990
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 2008
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 2002
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1970
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 2001
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 2003
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2058
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2039
- Economics of gambling 1967
- Trans National Aural Identity 3592
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3674
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3670
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3741
- From Couture to Kutir 3654
- Hybrid Sources 5041
- With a festive bang! 1252
- Easter Fun 1249
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1296
- Avurudu on the streets 1301
- Tick control 1333
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1260
- It’s time to save the world 1293
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1339
- Expert skincare and makeup 1340
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1319
- Exo 1343
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2425