Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, more commonly known by it's Korean title Dokkaebi which literally translates to Goblin, is a South Korean television series starring Gong Yoo, Lee Dong-wook, Kim Go-eun, Yoo In-na and Yook Sung-jae. The 16 episode drama airs on cable network tvN every Friday and Saturday since 2 December 2016.
In ancient times, Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) is an unbeatable general in wars, but the young King (Kim Min-Jae) is jealous of Kim Shin and kills him. Kim Shin becomes a Goblin, possessing an immortal life. At first he thinks that he is blessed, but he realizes that he is cursed.
Closer to the present day, Kim Shin has waited 900 years for a human bride to end his immortal life. One night, he saves a dying pregnant woman (Park Hee-Von) who is destined to die. Meanwhile, the Grim Reaper (Lee Dong-Wook) is unable to find the dead pregnant woman. The woman gives birth to a baby girl named Ji Eun-Tak (later played by Kim Go-Eun). Nine years later, Eun-Tak lives with her mother and is able to see ghosts. One night, her mother suddenly dies. On that night, she meets the Grim Reaper.
In the present day, Ji Eun-Tak is a high school student. She still sees ghosts and hears their whisper of "Goblin's bride." She now lives with her aunt's family, but she is mistreated by them. On her birthday, Eun-Tak sits by the sea with a lighted birthday cake. At that time, Kim Shin suddenly appears in front of her. Kim Shin does not know why, but he can hear her voice and appears in front of her against his will. Coincidentally, Kim Shin lives with the Grim Reaper at the same house.
Now, Kim Shin appears in front of her against his will, whenever she turns off the lights. One day, Eun-Tak tells him that he is a Goblin and that she is his bride.
Gong Yoo as Kim Shin, also known as Goblin
A 939-year-old immortal goblin and protector of souls who is looking for his bride, the only one who can remove the sword he was killed with, in order to turn him into ashes and rest in peace. He can travel through doors, freeze time, and save lives among other things when he wants to.
Lee Dong-wook as Wang Yeo, also known as Grim Reaper
A good-looking, amnesiac grim reaper. Those who have committed great sins become grim reapers in their next lives. He is the reincarnation of the King who banished Kim Shin and sentenced his family to death out of jealousy. Reaper cries when he sees the jade ring and meets Sunny.
Kim Go-eun as Ji Eun-tak
Han Seo-jin as young Ji Eun-tak
An optimistic and bubbly high school student who is also the legendary goblin's bride. She has the ability to see and speak to dead spirits. Immune to Goblin's powers, she can go through doors with him and when Goblin stops time it doesn't affect her.
Yoo In-na as Kim Sun, also known as Sunny
A bright and attractive owner of a chicken shop who falls in love with Wang Yeo. Kim Sun is Goblin's sister and the queen reincarnated. She always sees a fortune teller who warns her about the grim reaper, but she ignores it. Despite all the warnings she falls for Reaper Kim.
Yook Sung-jae as Yoo Deok-hwa
Jung Ji-hoon as young Yoo Deok-hwa
A rebellious chaebol heir and only grandson of the Yoo family. After being coerced by his grandfather, he has promised to look after and be a companion to the goblin.
Lee El as Samshin, goddess of birth and fate
Kim Sung-kyum as Deok-hwa's grandfather
Yum Hye-ran as Ji Yeon-suk, Eun-tak's aunt
Jung Yeong-gi as Park Kyung-shik, Eun-tak's male cousin
Choi Ri as Park Kyung-mi, Eun-tak's female cousin.
The series was written by Kim Eun-sook, who also wrote the popular series The Heirs (2013) and Descendants of the Sun (2016). It is Kim's second collaboration with director Lee Eun-bok after both working on Descendants of the Sun.
The first script-reading was held at Nuri Dream Square in Sangam-dong, Seoul, South Korea, on 30 August 2016. The historical scenes were filmed on 22 September in Gimje, North Jeolla Province, South Korea. The cemetery scenes were shot in Quebec City, Canada in October.
In Sri Lanka, Brunei, Malaysia and the Maldives episodes of the drama are exclusively streamed on Iflix within 24 hours of its original South Korean broadcast with English subtitles.
In Brunei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, the drama airs on Oh!K with subtitles.
In Japan, the drama will start airing in March, 2017 on Mnet Japan.
The series is available on-demand on Viu in Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia with English, Chinese, Indonesian and Malay subtitles.
Outside of Asia, the drama streams on DramaFever and Viki, both with subtitles.
In Thailand, the drama will start airing in early 2017 on True4U.
- More job opportunities for local seafarers 291
- Tamil Diaspora lobbies against GSP plus 294
- Foreign exits pass Rs 75B mark 291
- Peace Airways to fly six A 380s from Mattala 298
- Poor quality fuel re-enters market 291
- Wiggy returns from Canada with ‘cough’ 4588
- Control the price of rice 3756
- 15 families move into DS office 3759
- SLFP moots LG polls under ‘FPP’ 3764
- Conman takes parents on Rs 3 M ride 4004
- Hakeem wants Govt rethink 3777
- Delimitation report gazetted soon 3749
- Six injured in home-and-home feud 3764
- Fine increased to Rs 200,000 3789
- Tamil ‘State Language’ in Tamil Majority Areas 3775
- Imported Rice Not above Rs 76 a kilo 3746
- President appeals: ‘Avert energy crisis’ 3742
- ‘I’ll turn the tables in a jiffy’ 3771
- JVP ups Anti-Govt Initiatives 3746
- Taboo to SLFPers 3763
- Molligoda in final 33
- CCC take first innings points 35
- Nipun scores second ton 35
- SL rout Zim by 7 wickets 37
- SL returns to Wanderers to save the series 35
- Kandy seal win with first-half blitz 35
- Ports Authority CC lead 30
- Raonic beats Simon 29
- Renown SC thrash Solid SC 29
- Fans turn critics after failures 30
- Kurera emerges champion 3064
- Lost his trophy, lost his edge – is Djokovic era over? 3057
- Murray, Federer masterclass wows Aussie Open 3053
- Vithanage and Karunaratne score tons 3068
- Colombo FC shoots to strong position 3061
- Coal industry mafia sacked me 117
- I have a responsibility to correct this Govt 117
- A NEW CONSTITUTION A MUST 3337
- China’s economy grows 6.7% in 2016 77
- Back-up plan to seek partner for SriLankan 76
- China posts weakest growth in 26 years 77
- Political ramifications complicate fiscal consolidation 78
- CBSL retires Rs 34.1B T-Bills 79
- FTA with NZ in the offing 77
- Economic region with India and S’pore planned 71
- Govt. looks to Diaspora for FDI 71
- Blue Mountain breaks ground for Achilleion 71
- DFCC Bank opens new Pettah branch 72
- Union Bank relocates Balangoda branch 71
- Commercial Bank raises stakes with ‘Gedarata Thégi’ 71
- SDB bank opens 89th branch in Mannar 71
- NDB joins Senok to offer great leasing packages 71
- American Airlines introduces Basic Economy 71
- Way for True Conciliation! 3864
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2669
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3264
- Odissi dance recital Taal Taranga 176
- Candid and Undeterred remarks on Luke Wright 177
- Enchanting scrutiny into historical novels 179
- Davena Vihagun (aka Burning Birds) for The Ingamar Bergman Film Award 176
- Rev. Fr. Harold Panditharatne – Teacher Par Excellance 177
- Postnational cinema? 177
- Authentic poetry rewarded 45
- Kala Pola 2017 44
- A mighty platform for the creative writer 46
- The start of a new year 46
- Special Chinese New Year food festival 46
- Escape to Sigiriya 45
- Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo 50
- A clash over hybrid blood and power 51
- The augmented reality game experience 50
- Classrooms of the future 50
- Aiming for the diehard fans 50
- Sri Lanka enters endurance racing 50