Guardian: The Lonely and Great God, more commonly known by it's Korean title Dokkaebi which literally translates to Goblin, is a South Korean television series starring Gong Yoo, Lee Dong-wook, Kim Go-eun, Yoo In-na and Yook Sung-jae. The 16 episode drama airs on cable network tvN every Friday and Saturday since 2 December 2016.
In ancient times, Kim Shin (Gong Yoo) is an unbeatable general in wars, but the young King (Kim Min-Jae) is jealous of Kim Shin and kills him. Kim Shin becomes a Goblin, possessing an immortal life. At first he thinks that he is blessed, but he realizes that he is cursed.
Closer to the present day, Kim Shin has waited 900 years for a human bride to end his immortal life. One night, he saves a dying pregnant woman (Park Hee-Von) who is destined to die. Meanwhile, the Grim Reaper (Lee Dong-Wook) is unable to find the dead pregnant woman. The woman gives birth to a baby girl named Ji Eun-Tak (later played by Kim Go-Eun). Nine years later, Eun-Tak lives with her mother and is able to see ghosts. One night, her mother suddenly dies. On that night, she meets the Grim Reaper.
In the present day, Ji Eun-Tak is a high school student. She still sees ghosts and hears their whisper of "Goblin's bride." She now lives with her aunt's family, but she is mistreated by them. On her birthday, Eun-Tak sits by the sea with a lighted birthday cake. At that time, Kim Shin suddenly appears in front of her. Kim Shin does not know why, but he can hear her voice and appears in front of her against his will. Coincidentally, Kim Shin lives with the Grim Reaper at the same house.
Now, Kim Shin appears in front of her against his will, whenever she turns off the lights. One day, Eun-Tak tells him that he is a Goblin and that she is his bride.
Gong Yoo as Kim Shin, also known as Goblin
A 939-year-old immortal goblin and protector of souls who is looking for his bride, the only one who can remove the sword he was killed with, in order to turn him into ashes and rest in peace. He can travel through doors, freeze time, and save lives among other things when he wants to.
Lee Dong-wook as Wang Yeo, also known as Grim Reaper
A good-looking, amnesiac grim reaper. Those who have committed great sins become grim reapers in their next lives. He is the reincarnation of the King who banished Kim Shin and sentenced his family to death out of jealousy. Reaper cries when he sees the jade ring and meets Sunny.
Kim Go-eun as Ji Eun-tak
Han Seo-jin as young Ji Eun-tak
An optimistic and bubbly high school student who is also the legendary goblin's bride. She has the ability to see and speak to dead spirits. Immune to Goblin's powers, she can go through doors with him and when Goblin stops time it doesn't affect her.
Yoo In-na as Kim Sun, also known as Sunny
A bright and attractive owner of a chicken shop who falls in love with Wang Yeo. Kim Sun is Goblin's sister and the queen reincarnated. She always sees a fortune teller who warns her about the grim reaper, but she ignores it. Despite all the warnings she falls for Reaper Kim.
Yook Sung-jae as Yoo Deok-hwa
Jung Ji-hoon as young Yoo Deok-hwa
A rebellious chaebol heir and only grandson of the Yoo family. After being coerced by his grandfather, he has promised to look after and be a companion to the goblin.
Lee El as Samshin, goddess of birth and fate
Kim Sung-kyum as Deok-hwa's grandfather
Yum Hye-ran as Ji Yeon-suk, Eun-tak's aunt
Jung Yeong-gi as Park Kyung-shik, Eun-tak's male cousin
Choi Ri as Park Kyung-mi, Eun-tak's female cousin.
The series was written by Kim Eun-sook, who also wrote the popular series The Heirs (2013) and Descendants of the Sun (2016). It is Kim's second collaboration with director Lee Eun-bok after both working on Descendants of the Sun.
The first script-reading was held at Nuri Dream Square in Sangam-dong, Seoul, South Korea, on 30 August 2016. The historical scenes were filmed on 22 September in Gimje, North Jeolla Province, South Korea. The cemetery scenes were shot in Quebec City, Canada in October.
In Sri Lanka, Brunei, Malaysia and the Maldives episodes of the drama are exclusively streamed on Iflix within 24 hours of its original South Korean broadcast with English subtitles.
In Brunei, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, the drama airs on Oh!K with subtitles.
In Japan, the drama will start airing in March, 2017 on Mnet Japan.
The series is available on-demand on Viu in Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia and Malaysia with English, Chinese, Indonesian and Malay subtitles.
Outside of Asia, the drama streams on DramaFever and Viki, both with subtitles.
In Thailand, the drama will start airing in early 2017 on True4U.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2098
- Wag the Dog 2124
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2065
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2076
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2088
- dead man was near fashion mall 2120
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2088
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2099
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2088
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2100
- Government can be sent home 2633
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2098
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2084
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2087
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2090
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2061
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2067
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 2890
- Singapore in the crossfire 2962
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 2916
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1726
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1760
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1744
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1728
- Palace shock Arsenal 1724
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1734
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1725
- Murray returns from injury 1721
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1713
- Galle win by 188 runs 1710
- Kapugedera ton boosts Kandy 1689
- Pakistan charges Jamshed in spot-fixing case 1686
- IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete 1685
- Game evenly poised 1682
- Saumy Zainab wins Championship 1731
- Keeping Cool 1732
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1732
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2303
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2070
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1324
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2419
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1760
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1725
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1747
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1727
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1747
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1718
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1734
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1734
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1722
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1725
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1730
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1725
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1724
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1725
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1727
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1771
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1735
- Economics of gambling 1598
- Trans National Aural Identity 3298
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3320
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3345
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3447
- From Couture to Kutir 3317
- Hybrid Sources 4721
- With a festive bang! 948
- Easter Fun 946
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 965
- Avurudu on the streets 980
- Tick control 948
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 959
- It’s time to save the world 1027
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1019
- Expert skincare and makeup 1035
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1002
- Exo 1025
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2107