BMW ‘committed' to Mexican plant despite Trump
BMW has told the BBC that it is "absolutely" committed to a new plant in Mexico despite Donald Trump's hostility to imported cars.
The president-elect has threatened to impose a "border" tax on firms that make cars in Mexico for the US market.
BMW is spending $1bn on a plant in Mexico, while other firms are investing in the US or moving production back.
On Sunday Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) announced a $1bn (£816m) plan to produce three Jeep models in the US.
FCA will also move the production of a Ram pickup truck from Mexico to the US.
Last week Trump criticized General Motors for building cars in Mexico for the US market.
"General Motors is sending Mexican-made model of Chevy Cruze to US car dealers tax-free across border. Make in USA or pay big border tax!" he tweeted.
He also threatened Toyota with a border tax if it went ahead with a plant in Mexico.
BMW sales and marketing director Ian Robertson told the BBC that the firm was "absolutely" committed its new plant in San Luis Potosi, which will make its 3 Series cars for sale across North America.
He added that the company was investing $1bn in its plant in South Carolina and pointed out that BMW was the biggest exporter of cars, in terms of value, from the US.
"I don't think there's any discussion that BMW is not at home in the United States. Yes we are building a plant in Mexico. Yes we built a plant in Brazil last year. Yes we are building plants in other parts of the world as our capacity increases. But that's part of a normal strategic manufacturing direction," Robertson said.
Last week Ford cancelled a $1.6bn plan to build a plant in Mexico and instead decided to expand operations in Michigan.
Ford boss Mark Fields said the decision was partly due to falling sales of small cars and partly a "vote of confidence" in Trump's policies.
On Sunday, FCA said it would invest in a plant in Michigan, so that it can produce two new Jeep sports utility vehicles (SUVs) and take on the production of a Ram truck, currently made in Mexico.
Also, an Ohio plant will be retooled to make a new Jeep pickup truck.
As a result, FCA says that 2,000 jobs will be created.
Its announcement was the second phase of a plan, first outlined in January, to expand in the market for pickup trucks and SUVs. (BBC)
- Since taking over from Avant Garde Navy’s OBST earns Rs 3 B for Govt 3825
- Schools big match season 22 vehicles in custody 3793
- President hints at Cabinet reshuffle 3837
- Three Lankan pilgrims die Extremely cold weather in Dambadiva 3792
- 2,484 dengue patients in Trinco 3784
- Wimal taken to prison hospital Hunger strike enters fifth day 3798
- President misled on Wilpattu issue – ECT Gazette provides zero relief for destruction 3809
- R’kanth’s Jaffna visit dropped 3775
- Rajinikanth’s SL tour cancellation Welcomed by Parties barring BJP 3781
- IUSF in 65 anti-SAITM protests Demand scrapping of Institute 3788
- JVPer claims paddy sold to distillery at Rs 28 3833
- Maligawa Road will remain closed – Kiriella 3810
- Suspect arrested with revolver 3780
- Soma Agnes Maduragoda dies George Perera’s Mother-in-law 3781
- Strike in Afghanistan US confirms al-Qaida figure killed 3776
- Soaring dengue cases 3768
- Visit My Mosque Open day for everyone 3766
- 25 held in pre-dawn Police swoop Illicit liquor, narcotics seized 3764
- Kalkudah distillery runs into snag PS approval in limbo 3772
- South Eastern University shuns ragging 3767
- From Russia with friendship: ‘Kandyan Kastane’ 3289
- Is the Government attempting to STIFLE PUBLIC’S RIGHT TO PROTEST? 3284
- Protests, fisticuffs and fast unto death 3236
- Richmond emerge champions 2712
- SL in deep slump 2724
- Lyon claims four key wickets 2710
- Joes beat Antonians 2703
- Muthuthanthri set for captaincy ? 2739
- Vettel wins Australian Grand Prix 2712
- Arrogate wins Dubai World Cup thriller 2714
- Federer, Wawrinka advance in Miami 2711
- Latham shines in New Zealand gloom 2704
- Dutch suffer World Cup shock 2709
- Diverse Flying Backgrounds Fuel Competition at Red Bull Air Race 2703
- Southern and Central secure titles 2699
- Sri Lanka new minnows in World Cricket 2715
- Tamim century guides Bangla to 324 2579
- Only SLC opposes Manohar at ICC 3079
- The roles people play Prioritizing Sex & Gender 3162
- Typical double standards & hypocrisy 3029
- Main cause of kidney diseases 3076
- Rewarded for sensitizing rights of the disabled 3116
- Foreign Judges can hear cases – Niran Anketell 3086
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3230
- G20 drops pledge to fight protectionism Bows down to US opposition in spite of China 3317
- Chinawood: The merging of ‘Hollywood’ and ‘Made in China’ 3297
- Facebook to challenge YouTube and Spotify 3296
- Revised IMF deal expected by April Disbursement by June – Central Bank 3304
- Sri Lankan to maintain fleet position 3448
- High production costs hurting shipbuilding industry 3302
- Pak PM keen to fully utilize SL FTA 3304
- Flemingo to open new BIA duty free on 1 July 3301
- NTB arranges $20M syndicated loan for Maldivian firm 3303
- Banker award recognizes our financial discipline – Ravi K 3312
- HYUNDAI LANKA CONDUCTS FREE TUCSON CAR CLINIC 3294
- Asia-Pacific Economic Preview: 27-31 March 3300
- Remittances and exporter conversions to boost rupee 3299
- OPPO launches Selfie Expert F3 plus with Dual Selfie Camera 3314
- LAUGFS Group Chairman receives ‘Deshabandu’ national honour 3299
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3495
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2439
- Limelight on Sri Lanka again 2443
- Musicalisation of Narrative 3892
- The Many Faces of Galle -Part 2 3922
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction- Part 14 3898
- Afternoon Shadows 3911
- Living up to ideals 4057
- Clash of the Titans in Nuwara Eliya 3943
- The plight of our corals 1725
- India’s largest international décor mall launched in Bangalore 1704
- The games gods and politicians play 1701
- A challenged life 1691
- The Threshold: Patching up our privileged defeats 1760
- Animal assisted therapy 1696
- Empowering vocational studies 1816
- Your dream gaming machine 1815
- An enchanting remake 1813
- Refreshingly delicious 1816
- Xiumin 1815
- Batteries to firebombs 1328