BMW ‘committed' to Mexican plant despite Trump
BMW has told the BBC that it is "absolutely" committed to a new plant in Mexico despite Donald Trump's hostility to imported cars.
The president-elect has threatened to impose a "border" tax on firms that make cars in Mexico for the US market.
BMW is spending $1bn on a plant in Mexico, while other firms are investing in the US or moving production back.
On Sunday Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) announced a $1bn (£816m) plan to produce three Jeep models in the US.
FCA will also move the production of a Ram pickup truck from Mexico to the US.
Last week Trump criticized General Motors for building cars in Mexico for the US market.
"General Motors is sending Mexican-made model of Chevy Cruze to US car dealers tax-free across border. Make in USA or pay big border tax!" he tweeted.
He also threatened Toyota with a border tax if it went ahead with a plant in Mexico.
BMW sales and marketing director Ian Robertson told the BBC that the firm was "absolutely" committed its new plant in San Luis Potosi, which will make its 3 Series cars for sale across North America.
He added that the company was investing $1bn in its plant in South Carolina and pointed out that BMW was the biggest exporter of cars, in terms of value, from the US.
"I don't think there's any discussion that BMW is not at home in the United States. Yes we are building a plant in Mexico. Yes we built a plant in Brazil last year. Yes we are building plants in other parts of the world as our capacity increases. But that's part of a normal strategic manufacturing direction," Robertson said.
Last week Ford cancelled a $1.6bn plan to build a plant in Mexico and instead decided to expand operations in Michigan.
Ford boss Mark Fields said the decision was partly due to falling sales of small cars and partly a "vote of confidence" in Trump's policies.
On Sunday, FCA said it would invest in a plant in Michigan, so that it can produce two new Jeep sports utility vehicles (SUVs) and take on the production of a Ram truck, currently made in Mexico.
Also, an Ohio plant will be retooled to make a new Jeep pickup truck.
As a result, FCA says that 2,000 jobs will be created.
Its announcement was the second phase of a plan, first outlined in January, to expand in the market for pickup trucks and SUVs. (BBC)
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2422
- Wag the Dog 2388
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2342
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2364
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2400
- dead man was near fashion mall 2407
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2383
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2377
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2390
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2396
- Government can be sent home 2942
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2397
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2355
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2369
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2372
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2307
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2269
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3120
- Singapore in the crossfire 3168
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3126
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2010
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2067
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2025
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2053
- Palace shock Arsenal 2002
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2016
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1985
- Murray returns from injury 2000
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1959
- Galle win by 188 runs 1966
- Kapugedera ton boosts Kandy 1808
- Pakistan charges Jamshed in spot-fixing case 1812
- IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete 1821
- Game evenly poised 1813
- Saumy Zainab wins Championship 1907
- Keeping Cool 2012
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2024
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2606
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2354
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1616
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2787
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2087
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2042
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2027
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2029
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2031
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2000
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 2029
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 2007
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 2011
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1990
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 2008
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 2002
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1970
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 2001
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 2003
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2058
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2039
- Economics of gambling 1967
- Trans National Aural Identity 3592
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3674
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3670
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3741
- From Couture to Kutir 3654
- Hybrid Sources 5041
- With a festive bang! 1252
- Easter Fun 1249
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1296
- Avurudu on the streets 1301
- Tick control 1333
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1260
- It’s time to save the world 1293
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1339
- Expert skincare and makeup 1340
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1319
- Exo 1343
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2425