Trump has ‘great meeting’ with Alibaba boss Jack Ma
US President-elect Donald Trump has held what he said was a 'great meeting' in New York with Jack Ma, chairman of the e-commerce site Alibaba.
After the meeting Ma said that both had agreed that US-China relations "should be strengthened, should be more friendly and do better".
Ma said he would help US businesses create a million new jobs by using his website to sell to China.
During his campaign Trump threatened to place tariffs on Chinese imports.
"Jack and I are going to do some great things," Trump told reporters gathering in the Trump Tower lobby as the two emerged from the lift together.
Calling the future US President 'smart' and 'open-minded', Ma described his company's plan to attract one million small US businesses to its platform in order to sell goods to Chinese consumers.
Company spokesman Bob Christie said that one million new jobs will be created over the next five years as small American businesses hire new employees who will be tasked with interacting with Alibaba.
Ma, who is one of the richest people in China, specifically said that farmers and small clothing makers in the US Midwest should use the Alibaba online marketplace to reach Chinese consumers.
It is estimated that up to 80% of Chinese online purchases are made on the Alibaba platform.
The New York real estate mogul has said that 45% import taxes could be placed on Chinese goods and would come in response to currency manipulation and illegal subsidies by the world's second largest economy.
He has been highly critical of Chinese trade practices, and has appointed noted China critics to key economic Cabinet positions in the White House.
Market researchers fear that punitive tariffs would lead to a retaliatory response from China, triggering a trade war.
- Desk thumping greets Jayaratne crossover 3696
- Vasu challenges Rajitha 3693
- Sensational dig in Wilpattu 3696
- Indian HC presents credentials 3691
- Don’t attend Nugegoda rally 3695
- Coach assaults 14-year-old 3690
- Govt seeks Rs 26.9 M for ECT 3693
- JVP urges Parliament probe 3690
- 50% Lankan docs employed abroad 3691
- Pillaiyan ordered killing – AG 3693
- Won’t rest until ‘Govt sent home’ – Wimal 3693
- UFO sightings unlikely – expert 3693
- Brexit requires Parliament Nod – UK Supreme Court 3690
- Govt to Seize Perpetual Treasuries’ Funds 3700
- Soldiers turn tables on CR 3694
- Why The Black Sea? 3694
- Student turns out trishaw ambulance 3695
- Budu Medura opened at SEUSL 3692
- Lankans amongst top Swiss asylum requests in 2016 3693
- CLARIFICATION 3687
- Canine and feline companions 3019
- Nixon’s Heir 3017
- Radical paradigm shift in Trump foreign policy 3026
- Sumo National Championship today 2814
- Sri Lanka U-19’s 303/6 2816
- De Villiers back as captain 2817
- Helitha Vithanage scores second ton 2815
- Lasith Fernando scores century 2814
- UPUL THARANGA TO CAPTAIN ODI team 2817
- SL in series decider 2816
- Venus ‘living the dream’ as hot Coco awaits 2809
- Federer blitzes Zverev to set up Wawrinka semi 2810
- Italian junior in tears after controversial DQ 2809
- Prince of Wales Joint Champions 2809
- Smartphones are ruining sports skills and awareness 2810
- Hot shot Warner happy to rest for tough India test 2809
- Citizens Dev. Business champions 2809
- Matches postponed until 11 February 2809
- Bogus claims of foreign investments! 3433
- Docs threaten TU action if... 3440
- Coal industry mafia sacked me 3666
- BT European chief to resign over Italian scandal 3038
- Boosting FDI a must for wealth creation 3037
- Education Sector has created a surplus of engineers 3039
- Aus and NZ moot ‘TPP 12 minus one’ 3038
- Money printing 6 times greater than liquidity 3038
- Acclaimed scientist urges SL to retire coal plants 3039
- Mahendran not working here 3034
- A350 penalty only Rs 14.7B 3035
- Asian markets mixed as Trump acts 3035
- Habitat for Humanity breaks ground in Aranayake 3034
- CIM Sri Lanka to hold first Talking Point Programme for this year 3030
- Micromax launches two power-packed phones 3030
- Singer Sri Lanka tops in LMD 100 3031
- SLID poses the question on Women in the Boardroom, ‘Are men ready for it?’ 3030
- Sri Lanka at Spanish International Tourism Trade Fair 3030
- Way for True Conciliation! 3918
- Mathews is confident of bouncing back 2698
- Djokovic still the biggest rival, says Murray 3289
- Odissi dance recital Taal Taranga 4592
- Candid and Undeterred remarks on Luke Wright 4660
- Enchanting scrutiny into historical novels 4612
- Davena Vihagun (aka Burning Birds) for The Ingamar Bergman Film Award 4627
- Rev. Fr. Harold Panditharatne – Teacher Par Excellance 4608
- Postnational cinema? 4756
- Authentic poetry rewarded 2582
- Kala Pola 2017 2567
- A mighty platform for the creative writer 2568
- The start of a new year 2571
- Special Chinese New Year food festival 2571
- Escape to Sigiriya 2575
- Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-joo 2795
- A clash over hybrid blood and power 2801
- The augmented reality game experience 2794
- Classrooms of the future 2796
- Aiming for the diehard fans 2797
- Sri Lanka enters endurance racing 2792