Trump has ‘great meeting’ with Alibaba boss Jack Ma
US President-elect Donald Trump has held what he said was a 'great meeting' in New York with Jack Ma, chairman of the e-commerce site Alibaba.
After the meeting Ma said that both had agreed that US-China relations "should be strengthened, should be more friendly and do better".
Ma said he would help US businesses create a million new jobs by using his website to sell to China.
During his campaign Trump threatened to place tariffs on Chinese imports.
"Jack and I are going to do some great things," Trump told reporters gathering in the Trump Tower lobby as the two emerged from the lift together.
Calling the future US President 'smart' and 'open-minded', Ma described his company's plan to attract one million small US businesses to its platform in order to sell goods to Chinese consumers.
Company spokesman Bob Christie said that one million new jobs will be created over the next five years as small American businesses hire new employees who will be tasked with interacting with Alibaba.
Ma, who is one of the richest people in China, specifically said that farmers and small clothing makers in the US Midwest should use the Alibaba online marketplace to reach Chinese consumers.
It is estimated that up to 80% of Chinese online purchases are made on the Alibaba platform.
The New York real estate mogul has said that 45% import taxes could be placed on Chinese goods and would come in response to currency manipulation and illegal subsidies by the world's second largest economy.
He has been highly critical of Chinese trade practices, and has appointed noted China critics to key economic Cabinet positions in the White House.
Market researchers fear that punitive tariffs would lead to a retaliatory response from China, triggering a trade war.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2305
- Wag the Dog 2300
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2247
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2268
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2285
- dead man was near fashion mall 2315
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2282
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2286
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2296
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2291
- Government can be sent home 2827
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2298
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2268
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2281
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2278
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2225
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2205
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3038
- Singapore in the crossfire 3101
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3057
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1918
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1965
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1941
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1928
- Palace shock Arsenal 1903
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1926
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1897
- Murray returns from injury 1914
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1874
- Galle win by 188 runs 1886
- Kapugedera ton boosts Kandy 1757
- Pakistan charges Jamshed in spot-fixing case 1753
- IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete 1759
- Game evenly poised 1755
- Saumy Zainab wins Championship 1835
- Keeping Cool 1911
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1922
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2513
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2261
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1517
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2667
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1975
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1950
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1939
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1931
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1945
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1901
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1930
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1911
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1920
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1905
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1911
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1910
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1891
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1911
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1907
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1963
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1930
- Economics of gambling 1839
- Trans National Aural Identity 3501
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3557
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3555
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3649
- From Couture to Kutir 3543
- Hybrid Sources 4935
- With a festive bang! 1157
- Easter Fun 1149
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1197
- Avurudu on the streets 1205
- Tick control 1182
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1164
- It’s time to save the world 1212
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1234
- Expert skincare and makeup 1253
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1220
- Exo 1250
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2335