Trump has ‘great meeting’ with Alibaba boss Jack Ma
US President-elect Donald Trump has held what he said was a 'great meeting' in New York with Jack Ma, chairman of the e-commerce site Alibaba.
After the meeting Ma said that both had agreed that US-China relations "should be strengthened, should be more friendly and do better".
Ma said he would help US businesses create a million new jobs by using his website to sell to China.
During his campaign Trump threatened to place tariffs on Chinese imports.
"Jack and I are going to do some great things," Trump told reporters gathering in the Trump Tower lobby as the two emerged from the lift together.
Calling the future US President 'smart' and 'open-minded', Ma described his company's plan to attract one million small US businesses to its platform in order to sell goods to Chinese consumers.
Company spokesman Bob Christie said that one million new jobs will be created over the next five years as small American businesses hire new employees who will be tasked with interacting with Alibaba.
Ma, who is one of the richest people in China, specifically said that farmers and small clothing makers in the US Midwest should use the Alibaba online marketplace to reach Chinese consumers.
It is estimated that up to 80% of Chinese online purchases are made on the Alibaba platform.
The New York real estate mogul has said that 45% import taxes could be placed on Chinese goods and would come in response to currency manipulation and illegal subsidies by the world's second largest economy.
He has been highly critical of Chinese trade practices, and has appointed noted China critics to key economic Cabinet positions in the White House.
Market researchers fear that punitive tariffs would lead to a retaliatory response from China, triggering a trade war.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2422
- Wag the Dog 2388
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2342
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2364
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2400
- dead man was near fashion mall 2407
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2383
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2377
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2390
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2396
- Government can be sent home 2942
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2397
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2355
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2369
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2372
- May Day Rally …or the Boot ! 2307
- Auspicious Times presented to President 2269
- Johnston sacked SLFP reshuffles K’gala 3120
- Singapore in the crossfire 3168
- Park impeachment and SK foreign policy 3126
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2010
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2067
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2025
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2053
- Palace shock Arsenal 2002
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2016
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1985
- Murray returns from injury 2000
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1959
- Galle win by 188 runs 1966
- Kapugedera ton boosts Kandy 1808
- Pakistan charges Jamshed in spot-fixing case 1812
- IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete 1821
- Game evenly poised 1813
- Saumy Zainab wins Championship 1907
- Keeping Cool 2012
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2024
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2606
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2354
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1616
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2787
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2087
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2042
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2027
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2029
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2031
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2000
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 2029
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 2007
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 2011
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1990
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 2008
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 2002
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1970
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 2001
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 2003
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2058
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2039
- Economics of gambling 1967
- Trans National Aural Identity 3592
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3674
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3670
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3741
- From Couture to Kutir 3654
- Hybrid Sources 5041
- With a festive bang! 1252
- Easter Fun 1249
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1296
- Avurudu on the streets 1301
- Tick control 1333
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1260
- It’s time to save the world 1293
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1339
- Expert skincare and makeup 1340
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1319
- Exo 1343
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2425