Quite the amusing classroom
By Shanuka Kadupitiyage
Assassination Classroom is the anime adaptation of a manga done by Matsui Yuusei with the same title. The series has two seasons, a spin-off manga and anime known as Koro-sensei Q, two live action movies and an anime film.
The story revolves around the students of Class E in a prestigious junior high school. This class is filled with students who are academically behind their fellow students and those who have broken the school's rules. These students are shunned by the other students and teachers.
The classroom itself isn't even on the school campus, but rather in a makeshift log cabin out in the middle of the woods. Class E soon gets a new teacher. However, one thing to keep in mind here is that the teacher is not what you expect.
He is a superhuman creature that looks like a yellow octopus that has destroyed 70% of the moon and threatens to destroy Earth next March. The teacher also has the ability to move at the speed of mach-20 and is virtually indestructible. To make things worse, he turns out to be the best teacher they could ever have, and these misfits are tasked with killing him.
The plot itself is amusing and has a high appeal towards the target audience; teenage children. And maintains a light-hearted attitude, even if the ending will undoubtedly be a tragedy either way.
Studio LERCHE did a great job with this series, keeping the art and animation quality consistent throughout all the episodes. The contrast between the vivid and bright colour palette for the happy, light, classroom scenes, while using dark, murky colours for more dramatic scenes is extremely noticeable. The animations used for the action scenes are fluid and well directed while the directing style taken with this title is not the most innovative, yet is very effective.
Because the whole story revolves around a classroom, and more importantly a school itself, the cast is huge, making the task of giving each character adequate screen time and attention a hard task. This made some of the characters feel flat and uninteresting. However everything became smoother by the arrival of the second season.
Many characters even got full backstories in the second season, and every character got a lot more fleshed out. Not all the students got the same amount of development, but this was actually a good choice and it didn't take away from the enjoyment of the series at all.
The music is nothing noteworthy. It does what it's expected to do but it was tough to find a track that stood out. All the opening tracks for both seasons were done by several character voice actors.
Assassination Classroom is a solid creation that adheres to its main theme very strictly; "What should we teach to students?"
Each episode has consistent quality which is good enough but with a great story. Assassination Classroom is definitely a story to be watched.
- Army Major, 2 soldiers remanded 2250
- Foreign investors withdrew Rs 100B 2560
- Govt. extends deadline for more competition – Kabir 2618
- China mulls maritime regulation 2248
- Vasu challenges Govt 3311
- New laws to punish offenders 3378
- Wimal seeks permission 3330
- JO women plan protest 3287
- COPE to grill five more 3290
- Prez orders Rs 10,000 per family 3265
- Delimitation report still problematic – JVP 3308
- JO to meet at MR’s residence 3303
- JO vows to block ratification 3275
- Prez to lead SLFP polls campaign 3282
- Contaminated milk dumped into reservoir 3270
- FR case against PM dismissed 3490
- Gota grilled over gold statue 3300
- Rs 25,000 fine for dumping dogs 3276
- Prez will intervene in SAITM issue – Dilan 3265
- Lankan fishing boat found abandoned in Indian waters 3262
- Workshops and Balkans again 3390
- Protests in ‘Chaos’ Signs of life 3401
- Whither higher education in Sri Lanka? 3394
- Let children collect funds for school development 3373
- The ‘Uncle’ syndrome 3384
- How Prabhakaran killed his opponents 4285
- Soldiers fight Sailors for semi-spot 1272
- Malinga charts course to Champions Trophy 1273
- Sumanasinghe passes 1,000 runs mark 1270
- Sri Lanka and Pakistan set to qualify for WC 1273
- Havies march on to semis 1269
- Trinity awards cricket and rugby players 1272
- Rice at a price 1313
- Step in the right direction 1237
- Decriminalize homosexuality 1236
- Ruffling judicial feathers 1230
- SAITM still tossed on a stormy sea 1423
- Where are we headed? 1229
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 1821
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 1897
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3702
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3591
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3823
- ‘Unity Government’ A golden opportunity... 3386
- GoSL’s interest cost comes down by Rs 1.3B 58
- The Club HNB opens its doors to their esteemed Clients 1264
- LOLC Group clinches NBE Award 2016 1259
- LankaClear bags Silver at NBE Awards 1262
- A brief description of the National Business Excellency awards 1262
- Pan Asia Bank shines at National Business Excellence Awards with two coveted awards 1261
- Digital Transformation: A Conversation with Alberto Granados 1263
- A MUCH-MALIGNED WORD AMONG BANKRUPT POLITICIANS 1276
- Crysbro provides drinking water to war heroes 1262
- Abans innovative LG Dual Cool Air Conditioners 1261
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 2986
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3027
- Way for True Conciliation! 4194
- Malayalam film - “Orazhcha” (A week) 2328
- Sri Lanka’s Finest Talent – but Who Cares? 2330
- The mesmerizing mystery of Mozart’s music – Mass in C major KV317 (Coronation) 2330
- A Showstopping Performance 2387
- House for Rent 2326
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - part 9 2315
- Junsu 1123
- The fate of our woods 1124
- Celebrate ‘A month of love’ 1124
- Five new branch openings 1124
- THINC Sri Lanka Networking Conference 2017 1134
- ‘Our Shop’ for staff welfare 1124
- A musical kaleidoscope 891
- Challenging the hospitality industry 890
- Sci-fi action from start to finish 893
- Helping children in need 891
- An action soaked 886
- Health is wealth 890