Kia’s GT fastback ‘Stinger’ stuns
Kia, one of the most popular automobile brands in Sri Lanka, has unveiled the brand's highest performing vehicle yet – the all-new 2018 Stinger – as the first step in a new direction for the design and performance driven company.
Kia's GT Concept Car come to life as a true Gran Turismo fastback, the 2018 Stinger was developed by team headed by, BMW's M Division former Vice President, Albert Biermann and now head of Vehicle Test & High Performance Development at Kia.
The Stinger has been described as 'a Korean car with a heavy dose of Teutonic DNA' – a reference to its German designer, German engineer and trials at the Nürburgring in Germany.The Kia team includes Chief Designer Peter Schreyer, the man behind Stinger's striking looks, who was head of design at Audi and Volkswagen before he joined Kia.
In a recent report on the Stinger, 'Business Insider' headlined its commentary "Kia has a new car that should scare BMW and Audi.'
The Kia Stinger offers a choice of two turbo -charged engines, a 2.0-litre 4-cyl generating 255 horsepower and a 3.3-litre twin-turbo V6 engine delivering 365hp, both matched with a 2nd generation 8-speed automatic transmission with five drive modes for exhilarating performance and a premium sports car feel.
Unveiled at the 2017 North American International Auto Show where it won two top awards, the all-new Kia Stinger is available with rear-wheel or all-wheel drive (AWD), and its luxury amenities, head-turning design and superior performance have been hailed as a redefining of the Kia brand.
"Although it may be some time before we see a Stinger on local roads, its arrival is great news for Kia enthusiasts, because it is anemphatic affirmation of the brand's true credentials in the high-performance motoring segment," said Kia Motors (Lanka) Limited MD, Mahen Thambiah.
Kia's first sedan with available AWD, the Stinger has a new Dynamic Stability Damping Control suspension that adapts to different styles of driving.
The sporty and aggressively styled exterior with its fastback silhouette and sleek rear-wheel-drive proportions exudes disarming confidence. Longer and wider than a BMW 4 Gran Coupe, with a longer wheelbase than the Lexus GS, the Kia Stinger delivers elegance and athleticism. From the back, four oval exhaust pipes lend a commanding presence even during departure.
Praised as 'intimate yet expansive' and 'minimal yet luxurious,' the Stinger's cocoon-like interior is intelligently configured and is more traditional than futuristic with a sporty upscale feel and premium materials. It features aircraft-style spoked vents, metal-ringed gauges and satin chrome trim. Available ultra-soft Nappa leather covers the deeply contoured seats, and the driver's seat has available adjustable bolsters for outstanding comfort.
Kia Motors Europe's Chief Designer Gregory Guillaume says of the new automotive masterpiece: "The new Kia Stinger is a true gran turismo, a car for spirited long-distance driving. It's not about outright power, hard-edged dynamics and brutal styling at the expense of luxury, comfort and grace. The Stinger has nothing to do with being the first to arrive at the destination – this car is all about the journey. It's about passion."
Cars.com named the Kia Stinger 'Best in Show'at the North American International Auto Show (NAIAS) for its combination of luxury and performance in a sports sedan. It was also recognized with the EyesOn Design award for Production Car Design Excellence. The honour is awarded for the best vehicles making their worldwide debut at NAIAS.
A maker of quality vehicles for the young-at-heart, Kia Motors Corporation (www.kia.com) was founded in 1944 and is Korea's oldest manufacturer of motor vehicles. Over 3 million Kia vehicles a year are produced in 10 manufacturing and assembly operations in five countries, which are then sold and serviced through a network of distributors and dealers covering around 180 countries. Kia Motors Corporation's brand slogan – 'The Power to Surprise' – represents the company's global commitment to surprise the world by providing exciting and inspiring experiences that go beyond expectations.
Kia Motors (Lanka) Limited has represented the Kia brand in Sri Lanka since 1996.
- NUJ 109th Birth anniversary 2687
- Mangala to urge 24-month extension 2689
- Namal slaps CBK with defamation 3389
- Pakistan still eyeing JF-17 Thunder Fighter sale to Sri Lanka 3145
- CID grills govt Printer, Director, others 3184
- LRC seeks Police protection 3137
- MR to meet Tamil and Muslim leaders 3190
- Leprosy hits western province 3144
- skipper of ill-fated boat remanded 3131
- Raggers will be promptly expelled 3154
- Double-speak from SB on Wimal 3157
- VX nerve agent killed Kim Jong-nam 3137
- More snags foul up Constitution making 3283
- NFPWHR warns of massive protest 3134
- Mangala meets US HDP delegation 3141
- SL Police deny ‘hunting’ refugees in HK 3130
- 1500 students denied Uni education 3208
- SLFP CMs to boycott meeting 3129
- Wimal not a party leader – Dayasiri 3132
- New Zealand-bound boat people held 3122
- February – a celebratory month 3112
- Political mayhem 3127
- Significance of Sri Lanka’s legal profession 3118
- A house divided 3103
- Building castles in the air 3108
- Upholding children’s rights 5649
- Now or never for Havies 1610
- Bad light saves day for Isipathana 1610
- Golfer Arumugam no more 1609
- Royal resist late Joes’ onslaught 1610
- Sadeera's 177 n.o. guides SL 'A' 1609
- Sadeera pushes for Test spot 1613
- Wimal gets short shrift 2395
- BASL in the dock 2393
- Ragging: The ugly truth 2392
- Govt gambling with our lives – KPP protesters 2390
- Keppetipola mansion in bad shape 2390
- Diesel Mafia raises its head again... 2390
- SAITM students will not be accepted by any country– Prof. Hiran Amerasekera 3144
- I have no issues with the Minister– Anoma Gamage 3503
- LG elections should be under new system 3334
- Dr. Sivamohan reiterates preference for foreign intervention 2896
- RICE SHORTAGE AND HIGH PRICES BIG MILL OWNERS TO BLAME SAYS ACPF 3045
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 2010
- Google's self-driving firm sues Uber 1812
- Colombo Fashion Week dates for Summer season, 13 – 18 March 1813
- International Thunder Cat Power Boat Racing in Bentota- a thrilling experience 1813
- BPPL Holdings Limited announces Rs. 368 Mn IPO 1814
- Durdans Lab Service adds ‘Predictive Tests’ for disease prevention 1813
- INSEE Cement wins Green Platinum Award at HarithaSihinaya 2017 1813
- CIC to elevate education in rural Agri-Communities 1812
- NTB rewards 50 lucky American Express Cardmembers with latest iPhone 7 1812
- HNB offers new benefit package through agreement with Indra Traders 1815
- Crescent Global sponsors Insurance Awards 1813
- Valencia stun Real Madrid 2729
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 3045
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3078
- A musical evening-Hindi film songs 2025
- Sitar recital 2023
- Alston Koch to sing at the ‘OSCARS’ after party 2024
- Luang Prabang – A Journey into Sublimity 2025
- Blue all the way 2025
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - Part 10 2026
- Employees rewarded 1273
- Training in excellence 1272
- Human – elephant conflict rears up again 1275
- Nature in its wild pristine beauty 1275
- A touch of Yalpanam 1275
- Blood facts 1273
- SS501 1331
- An immersive and inclusive learning experiences 1332
- Emerging future trailblazers 1331
- An educational celebration 1331
- A campaign to target8.4 million Lankans 1333
- An epic battle 1331