Asian markets dip, dollar hit by US security adviser resignation
Asian markets dipped Tuesday after a three-day rally but analysts said there was likely room for further gains as traders bet Donald Trump will help fire up the US economy.
Shares around the world have resumed their Trump surge since the tycoon promised Thursday to unveil details of tax reform, while also softening his stance on key trade partners China and Japan.
While most markets across Asia were in the red on Tuesday, there was some support from data showing a surge in Chinese factory gate prices, indicating a further pick-up in the world's number two economy.
Tokyo's Nikkei index tumbled 1.1 per cent on profit-taking and as the yen rebounded against the dollar after Trump's national security advisor Michael Flynn resigned over his contacts with Russia.
"The news dampens slightly the expectations for a smooth implementation of various policies," Minori Uchida, head of global market research at Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, told Bloomberg News.
But he added: "Market expectations on Trump are about his economic policies, and while Flynn's post is significant, it isn't directly related."
Hong Kong was flat in the afternoon and Shanghai also barely moved as profit-taking overshadowed news that China's producer price index hit 6.9 per cent in January – its highest level since 2011. The PPI is closely watched as a guide to future consumer prices.
The consumer price index also improved, rising 2.5 per cent.
There are hopes the rise in inflation will put upward pressure on prices around the world, fuelling much-needed inflation to spur the global economy.
In other markets Seoul slipped 0.2 per cent and Sydney reversed morning gains to finish 0.1 per cent off. Singapore shed 1.2 per cent, while Manila, Jakarta and Bangkok also slipped.
The losses came despite another record close on Wall Street and healthy gains in Europe, where dealers cheered an upward revision of eurozone growth for this year and next.
However, Greg McKenna, chief market strategist at CFD and FX provider AxiTrader, said in a note that confidence was rising and dealers were putting "faith in Donald Trump's ability to deliver and implement his transformative policies for the US economy".
He added that "traders are betting his focus is back on the positive aspects of the tax, regulatory and growth aspects of his policy platform".
The focus now turns to Federal Reserve boss Janet Yellen's two-day grilling in Congress that starts later Tuesday. Her testimony will be pored over for clues about the central bank's monetary policy plans, hoping she will shed light on when it will next lift interest rates. In Japanese trade Toshiba dropped eight per cent after it delayed releasing financial results expected to include billions of dollars in losses from its ailing US nuclear power unit. (AFP)
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2498
- Wag the Dog 2448
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2397
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2429
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2458
- dead man was near fashion mall 2464
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2452
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2445
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2453
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2461
- Government can be sent home 3015
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2468
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2412
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2431
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2440
- Redefining Rape 2890
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 2061
- First adventures in Europe 2159
- Inspiration for writers 2148
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2952
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2333
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2082
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2131
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2081
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2113
- Palace shock Arsenal 2063
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2068
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 2039
- Murray returns from injury 2052
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 2018
- Galle win by 188 runs 2022
- Keeping Cool 2070
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2078
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2678
- In the heart of the old country 2490
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2330
- No moral right to play with public funds 2276
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 3196
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 2120
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1938
- Health authorities in denial? 2448
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2423
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1692
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2847
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2223
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2682
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3267
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2156
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2094
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2073
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2100
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2094
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2061
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 2091
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 2068
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 2078
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 2055
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 2065
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 2064
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 2031
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 2066
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 2062
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2125
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2105
- Economics of gambling 2044
- Trans National Aural Identity 3656
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3750
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3729
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3808
- From Couture to Kutir 3725
- Hybrid Sources 5100
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 5137
- Poetry and its possibilities 5282
- With a festive bang! 1316
- Easter Fun 1312
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1347
- Avurudu on the streets 1363
- Tick control 1445
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1318
- It’s time to save the world 1353
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1406
- Expert skincare and makeup 1398
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1384
- Exo 1420
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2506