Asian markets dip, dollar hit by US security adviser resignation
Asian markets dipped Tuesday after a three-day rally but analysts said there was likely room for further gains as traders bet Donald Trump will help fire up the US economy.
Shares around the world have resumed their Trump surge since the tycoon promised Thursday to unveil details of tax reform, while also softening his stance on key trade partners China and Japan.
While most markets across Asia were in the red on Tuesday, there was some support from data showing a surge in Chinese factory gate prices, indicating a further pick-up in the world's number two economy.
Tokyo's Nikkei index tumbled 1.1 per cent on profit-taking and as the yen rebounded against the dollar after Trump's national security advisor Michael Flynn resigned over his contacts with Russia.
"The news dampens slightly the expectations for a smooth implementation of various policies," Minori Uchida, head of global market research at Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, told Bloomberg News.
But he added: "Market expectations on Trump are about his economic policies, and while Flynn's post is significant, it isn't directly related."
Hong Kong was flat in the afternoon and Shanghai also barely moved as profit-taking overshadowed news that China's producer price index hit 6.9 per cent in January – its highest level since 2011. The PPI is closely watched as a guide to future consumer prices.
The consumer price index also improved, rising 2.5 per cent.
There are hopes the rise in inflation will put upward pressure on prices around the world, fuelling much-needed inflation to spur the global economy.
In other markets Seoul slipped 0.2 per cent and Sydney reversed morning gains to finish 0.1 per cent off. Singapore shed 1.2 per cent, while Manila, Jakarta and Bangkok also slipped.
The losses came despite another record close on Wall Street and healthy gains in Europe, where dealers cheered an upward revision of eurozone growth for this year and next.
However, Greg McKenna, chief market strategist at CFD and FX provider AxiTrader, said in a note that confidence was rising and dealers were putting "faith in Donald Trump's ability to deliver and implement his transformative policies for the US economy".
He added that "traders are betting his focus is back on the positive aspects of the tax, regulatory and growth aspects of his policy platform".
The focus now turns to Federal Reserve boss Janet Yellen's two-day grilling in Congress that starts later Tuesday. Her testimony will be pored over for clues about the central bank's monetary policy plans, hoping she will shed light on when it will next lift interest rates. In Japanese trade Toshiba dropped eight per cent after it delayed releasing financial results expected to include billions of dollars in losses from its ailing US nuclear power unit. (AFP)
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2372
- Wag the Dog 2353
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2312
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2332
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2358
- dead man was near fashion mall 2364
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2335
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2343
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2352
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2353
- Government can be sent home 2892
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2351
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2319
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2336
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2328
- Redefining Rape 2567
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1973
- First adventures in Europe 2055
- Inspiration for writers 2050
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2520
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2230
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1969
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2028
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1990
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2000
- Palace shock Arsenal 1956
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1980
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1948
- Murray returns from injury 1962
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1923
- Galle win by 188 runs 1933
- Keeping Cool 1975
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1981
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2566
- In the heart of the old country 2391
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2224
- No moral right to play with public funds 2171
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 2096
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 2005
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1816
- Health authorities in denial? 2318
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2319
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1568
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2740
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2093
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2528
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3174
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2031
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2004
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1987
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1985
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1996
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1957
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1988
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1968
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1970
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1953
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1966
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1966
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1938
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1958
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1966
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2024
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1995
- Economics of gambling 1915
- Trans National Aural Identity 3550
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3627
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3627
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3699
- From Couture to Kutir 3606
- Hybrid Sources 4997
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 5043
- Poetry and its possibilities 5130
- With a festive bang! 1210
- Easter Fun 1211
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1245
- Avurudu on the streets 1263
- Tick control 1266
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1219
- It’s time to save the world 1252
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1295
- Expert skincare and makeup 1307
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1275
- Exo 1297
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2391