Asian markets dip, dollar hit by US security adviser resignation
Asian markets dipped Tuesday after a three-day rally but analysts said there was likely room for further gains as traders bet Donald Trump will help fire up the US economy.
Shares around the world have resumed their Trump surge since the tycoon promised Thursday to unveil details of tax reform, while also softening his stance on key trade partners China and Japan.
While most markets across Asia were in the red on Tuesday, there was some support from data showing a surge in Chinese factory gate prices, indicating a further pick-up in the world's number two economy.
Tokyo's Nikkei index tumbled 1.1 per cent on profit-taking and as the yen rebounded against the dollar after Trump's national security advisor Michael Flynn resigned over his contacts with Russia.
"The news dampens slightly the expectations for a smooth implementation of various policies," Minori Uchida, head of global market research at Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, told Bloomberg News.
But he added: "Market expectations on Trump are about his economic policies, and while Flynn's post is significant, it isn't directly related."
Hong Kong was flat in the afternoon and Shanghai also barely moved as profit-taking overshadowed news that China's producer price index hit 6.9 per cent in January – its highest level since 2011. The PPI is closely watched as a guide to future consumer prices.
The consumer price index also improved, rising 2.5 per cent.
There are hopes the rise in inflation will put upward pressure on prices around the world, fuelling much-needed inflation to spur the global economy.
In other markets Seoul slipped 0.2 per cent and Sydney reversed morning gains to finish 0.1 per cent off. Singapore shed 1.2 per cent, while Manila, Jakarta and Bangkok also slipped.
The losses came despite another record close on Wall Street and healthy gains in Europe, where dealers cheered an upward revision of eurozone growth for this year and next.
However, Greg McKenna, chief market strategist at CFD and FX provider AxiTrader, said in a note that confidence was rising and dealers were putting "faith in Donald Trump's ability to deliver and implement his transformative policies for the US economy".
He added that "traders are betting his focus is back on the positive aspects of the tax, regulatory and growth aspects of his policy platform".
The focus now turns to Federal Reserve boss Janet Yellen's two-day grilling in Congress that starts later Tuesday. Her testimony will be pored over for clues about the central bank's monetary policy plans, hoping she will shed light on when it will next lift interest rates. In Japanese trade Toshiba dropped eight per cent after it delayed releasing financial results expected to include billions of dollars in losses from its ailing US nuclear power unit. (AFP)
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2098
- Wag the Dog 2124
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2065
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2076
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2088
- dead man was near fashion mall 2120
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2088
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2099
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2088
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2100
- Government can be sent home 2633
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2098
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2084
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2087
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2090
- Redefining Rape 2124
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1723
- First adventures in Europe 1808
- Inspiration for writers 1805
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 1865
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 1944
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1726
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1760
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1744
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1728
- Palace shock Arsenal 1724
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1734
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1725
- Murray returns from injury 1721
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1713
- Galle win by 188 runs 1710
- Keeping Cool 1732
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1732
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2303
- In the heart of the old country 2149
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 1944
- No moral right to play with public funds 1886
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 1763
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 1716
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1549
- Health authorities in denial? 2012
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2070
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1324
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2419
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 1839
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2137
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 2939
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1760
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1725
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1747
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1727
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1747
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1718
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1734
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1734
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1722
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1725
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1730
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1725
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1724
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1725
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1727
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1771
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1735
- Economics of gambling 1598
- Trans National Aural Identity 3298
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3320
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3345
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3447
- From Couture to Kutir 3317
- Hybrid Sources 4721
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 4797
- Poetry and its possibilities 4805
- With a festive bang! 948
- Easter Fun 946
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 965
- Avurudu on the streets 980
- Tick control 948
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 959
- It’s time to save the world 1027
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1019
- Expert skincare and makeup 1035
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1002
- Exo 1025
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2107