Facebook takes aim at Youtube with new standalone TV app
Facebook is to roll out an app that lets users watch the platform's video content on television.
The move could allow it to eventually better compete with the likes of YouTube and traditional television channels for advertising revenue.
Users with Apple TV, Amazon's Fire TV and Samsung's Smart TVs will be able to watch Facebook's user-generated videos directly on their televisions.
The announcement is in line with Facebook's increasing focus on video.
The company has recently been paying creators for exclusive premium video content, and is heavily promoting the Facebook Live feature that allows users to live stream events.
Facebook says the standalone app will be released «soon».
The only screen Facebook doesn›t dominate right now is the biggest one in your home.
The company›s decision to launch these TV apps - which we›ve been expecting for some time now - is the first significant step the company has made to build its challenge to the likes of Netflix and Hulu.
To do that, though, it will need to offer programmes that are of a far higher quality than what is on Facebook right now. That will require big investment in getting top talent to make Facebook-only video.
One interesting move will be how it plans to make money from TV. If Facebook feels it can make its content free (with income coming from advertising), then it could give subscriber services like Netflix and Amazon Prime serious pause for thought. The announcement by the social media giant was made together with several other news about the company›s video features.
Videos will now autoplay sound in the news feed and will be displayed in full, even if they are vertical.
- Army Major, 2 soldiers remanded 2250
- Foreign investors withdrew Rs 100B 2560
- Govt. extends deadline for more competition – Kabir 2618
- China mulls maritime regulation 2248
- Vasu challenges Govt 3311
- New laws to punish offenders 3378
- Wimal seeks permission 3330
- JO women plan protest 3287
- COPE to grill five more 3290
- Prez orders Rs 10,000 per family 3265
- Delimitation report still problematic – JVP 3308
- JO to meet at MR’s residence 3303
- JO vows to block ratification 3275
- Prez to lead SLFP polls campaign 3282
- Contaminated milk dumped into reservoir 3270
- FR case against PM dismissed 3490
- Gota grilled over gold statue 3300
- Rs 25,000 fine for dumping dogs 3276
- Prez will intervene in SAITM issue – Dilan 3265
- Lankan fishing boat found abandoned in Indian waters 3262
- Workshops and Balkans again 3390
- Protests in ‘Chaos’ Signs of life 3401
- Whither higher education in Sri Lanka? 3394
- Let children collect funds for school development 3374
- The ‘Uncle’ syndrome 3384
- How Prabhakaran killed his opponents 4285
- Soldiers fight Sailors for semi-spot 1272
- Malinga charts course to Champions Trophy 1273
- Sumanasinghe passes 1,000 runs mark 1270
- Sri Lanka and Pakistan set to qualify for WC 1273
- Havies march on to semis 1269
- Trinity awards cricket and rugby players 1272
- Rice at a price 1313
- Step in the right direction 1237
- Decriminalize homosexuality 1236
- Ruffling judicial feathers 1230
- SAITM still tossed on a stormy sea 1423
- Where are we headed? 1229
- I believe in cooperative politics – Karuna 1821
- I like to talk to diehard Sinhala chauvinists – Wigneswaran 1897
- Justices should be subject to judicial audits 3702
- Traders have imported rice under local branding– Duminda Dissanayake 3591
- CTSU to protest SAITM ruling-on the streets 3823
- ‘Unity Government’ A golden opportunity... 3386
- GoSL’s interest cost comes down by Rs 1.3B 58
- The Club HNB opens its doors to their esteemed Clients 1264
- LOLC Group clinches NBE Award 2016 1259
- LankaClear bags Silver at NBE Awards 1262
- A brief description of the National Business Excellency awards 1262
- Pan Asia Bank shines at National Business Excellence Awards with two coveted awards 1261
- Digital Transformation: A Conversation with Alberto Granados 1263
- A MUCH-MALIGNED WORD AMONG BANKRUPT POLITICIANS 1276
- Crysbro provides drinking water to war heroes 1262
- Abans innovative LG Dual Cool Air Conditioners 1261
- GSP+ To sustain economy or to Mutate society? 2987
- Fully fledged Media Commission by June – DGI 3028
- Way for True Conciliation! 4194
- Malayalam film - “Orazhcha” (A week) 2328
- Sri Lanka’s Finest Talent – but Who Cares? 2330
- The mesmerizing mystery of Mozart’s music – Mass in C major KV317 (Coronation) 2330
- A Showstopping Performance 2387
- House for Rent 2326
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction - part 9 2315
- Junsu 1123
- The fate of our woods 1124
- Celebrate ‘A month of love’ 1124
- Five new branch openings 1124
- THINC Sri Lanka Networking Conference 2017 1134
- ‘Our Shop’ for staff welfare 1124
- A musical kaleidoscope 891
- Challenging the hospitality industry 890
- Sci-fi action from start to finish 893
- Helping children in need 891
- An action soaked 886
- Health is wealth 890