Constitution through a referendum Will the people win?
By Ananda Ariyarathne
"If all the citizens with voting rights have been made aware and therefore there is no room for misunderstandings or misconceptions. That way, the opinions have not been led, making them adulterated than genuine and pure. As all those voters can vote with a supreme sense of responsibility it shall be a truly unbiased outcome.
The known fact that a 'Referendum' is a tool for political expression sought for a specific confirmation of opinion on an extremely important matter, makes it more important. Can there be any other more democratic measure than a "referendum" to prove to the world, about the genuineness of the aspirations linked to the features which would constitute the intended Constitution?"
In whatever manner the efforts are made to look decent and good in the eyes of the people, the promoters of the "new concept" for the Constitution must understand that the "damage" was done when the whole process gave the impression that there are several undercurrents flowing through with some trying to rush matters through. It looked obvious that there seem to have been so many cooks, very active behind the scene, casting doubts about the genuineness of the whole process. They gave the indications that it has been inching towards an inevitable "constitutional soup". While some of the "constitutional cooks", who could not hide their "die-hard secessionist aspirations" showed their hand, that aspects was further confirmed by the well known "fire breathing self proclaimed champions" of the unsuspecting Tamil people. In addition, there have been some "constitutional cooks" who have been busy in preparing the soup might have sincerely thought that there was a very convenient opportunity brewing up in their favour, to solemnise all the self inflicting victims of an abnormal justification of homosexuality, through camouflaged terminology, showed their aspirations openly.
It is really amusing to note that the screams to trim the powers of Executive Presidency have quietly given way to ensure the erosion of the powers of the central government in the federal system planned by them.
The unitary state is an essential requirement for a land like Sri Lanka as it is the only way to ensure the best opportunities for the people, regardless of their ethnicities found anywhere in the country. The fact that almost 29 per cent of the Tamil population is quite comfortable already among the "monstrous Sinhalese" now shall not be logically possible after such an embarrassing change, wedging feelings of suspicion between the people of the two main communities. That in turn will cause the possibilities for friction which can come out of an eventual imposition of a system like what has been shown. That will be the eventual development, as the political destination determined by some eccentric politicians who cannot understand the pulse of the people.
The magnitude of the drug menace that has been gaining almost freely under the innocent looking camouflage provided under the "fishing in the troubled waters" aimed at the Southern regions may bring in huge revenues to the "Northern State" while destroying the society there calling for Police action. In the meantime, Northern State will be a haven for such criminals. Will not such a situation create friction? It will be a never ending series of incidents straining relations and at the end, what would we have got in trying to solve problems?
The best and the most realistic solution should have been to ensure equal rights and opportunities for all the citizens.
Significance of the features
Although it is very much shrouded, except for some aspects that have come out into the open, which too looked mostly unintentionally, there seems to be a variety of exposures which came to the attention of general public, but only in bits and pieces. By the indications which are now visible, some of those may be justifiably linked to an issue like "Power sharing" taking the shape of "self rule" and the other features fall into a lower category as components taking the shapes of facilitating factors under the same category.
The main issue before the people was the need to get rid of the Executive Presidency. While the signals on that are very feeble now and there are more powerful signals now about 'self rule' kept on surfacing within Sri Lanka and in the international scene, in very aggressive ways up to very recent times, till the American people got themselves a new president.
The newly elected American President was openly critical about the role played by the leadership of the USA and the removal of those officials who were busy trying to blame the Sri Lankan Government for war crimes, atrocities and genocide in the effort to blackguard the government here to prop up the Tamil separatist elements who were busy in trying to prepare the Tamil mindset here. The ultimate aim was to prepare a positive background to promote a "self rule", as the first step towards a separate State to be carved out here.
However, this made the fire breathing Tamil politicos to contribute more towards the disruption to efforts on reconciliation which became a status that had a direct effect on international pressure through Geneva to compel the government to push for a new Constitution governed by stipulations made by the authorities there. It is a known fact that it had reached even the European Union, which has been engaged in an arm-twisting exercise for a long time now. That way, the proposed Constitution is more an artificial burden on Sri Lanka and her people. It has been the main reason for the amusing behaviour of Constitution promoters who preferred the awareness of the citizens to be kept at a very low level.
The efforts to insert a silly feature to give respectability to grant rights to homosexuals raises the question of the genuineness of the intentions of the new Constitution promoters. Medically and psychologically, the human behaviour of homosexual tendencies have been identified as abnormal and here, our great thinkers are trying to give respectability to such a malign aspect that will destroy the healthy minds as well as the future of a the very nation we are trying to serve. The concern is whether all the citizens got adequate awareness of its pros and cons.
It became evident that the whole process had been to satisfy international promoters of Tamil separatists in Sri Lanka. All the features and trimmings came into the picture of the new Constitution came that way only.
Citizens are expected to vote in a referendum and the brains behind it are concerned more about the strategies to win only. Not to win ethically. Rather than singing "Yes Sir..Yes Sir Three bags full" they should guide the President and the Prime Minister when they see pitfalls.
What is good for India bad for Lanka?
Although it is declared that Sri Lanka will not be divided under the new Constitution, have those responsible people ever shown any Constitutional checks and controls like the Indian Constitution has done?
Can it be true, if it is suggested that the Constitution makers were unaware that there were movements and a lot of agitation in Tamil Nadu to fight for 'self rule' to become an independent nation and the fact that even a person like Mahathma Gandhi who is considered even now as the pioneer in non-violent agitation, did not support the idea and a leader like Jawaharlal Nehru went further and the result was the Constitution (16th Amendment) Act 1963? Below is an excerpt from the Act.
It is proposed to give effect to these recommendations by amending clauses (2), (3) and (4) of article 19 for enabling the State to make any law imposing reasonable restrictions on the exercise of the rights conferred by sub-clauses (a), (b) and (c) of clause (1) of that Article in the interests of the sovereignty and integrity of India. It is also proposed to amend Articles 84 and 173 and forms of oath in the Third Schedule to the Constitution so as to provide that every candidate for the membership of Parliament or State Legislature, Union and State Ministers, Members of Parliament and State Legislatures, Judges of the Supreme Court and High Courts and the Comptroller and Auditor-General of India should take an oath to uphold the sovereignty and integrity of India.
It is a clear indication of sincerity in Tamil Nadu politicians wanted separation, Indian Prime Minister prevented such a disaster from happening to achieve a better future for all the Indians regardless their ethnicities.
Mahathma Gandhi was not a racist who wished to discriminate Tamils of Tamil Nadu. What he said and promoted was the need to stay together. Now, the people of Tamil Nadu do not regret that as they had a better opportunity to be prosperous. Imagine the Tamil leaders who were from the same land where the great Tamil civilization started and flourished.
If Sri Lanka is divided, there will be more problems than solutions. The so-called constitutional experts have conveniently forgotten the unnecessary friction that would arise. They either do not have the courage or simply do not have the capacity to visualize better opportunities for the Tamil people if they stay together.
Voters in a referendum should weigh the pros and cons before casting their votes.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2307
- Wag the Dog 2302
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2249
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2272
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2288
- dead man was near fashion mall 2319
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2283
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2291
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2298
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2292
- Government can be sent home 2828
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2299
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2270
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2284
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2281
- Redefining Rape 2455
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1928
- First adventures in Europe 2013
- Inspiration for writers 1985
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2328
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2184
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1919
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1966
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1942
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1930
- Palace shock Arsenal 1904
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1928
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1899
- Murray returns from injury 1916
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1877
- Galle win by 188 runs 1888
- Keeping Cool 1914
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1926
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2515
- In the heart of the old country 2340
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2167
- No moral right to play with public funds 2101
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 2016
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 1942
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1757
- Health authorities in denial? 2247
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2263
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1518
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2670
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2045
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2458
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3123
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1978
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1952
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1941
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1933
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1945
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1902
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1932
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1912
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1921
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1907
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1912
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1912
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1892
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1913
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1909
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1967
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1934
- Economics of gambling 1840
- Trans National Aural Identity 3503
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3561
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3561
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3651
- From Couture to Kutir 3546
- Hybrid Sources 4936
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 5001
- Poetry and its possibilities 5053
- With a festive bang! 1159
- Easter Fun 1153
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1199
- Avurudu on the streets 1207
- Tick control 1184
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1165
- It’s time to save the world 1214
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1235
- Expert skincare and makeup 1255
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1221
- Exo 1252
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2336