GOOGLE LOON MAY BE DOOMED
By Ishara Gamage
Sri Lanka might abandon the two-year-old Google Loon project trial, if the Sri Lanka's regulatory authorities fail to allocate the much needed spectrum facility, Minister of Telecommunication and Digital Infrastructure Harin Fernando told yesterday.
Last December Ceylon FT exclusively reported that Sri Lanka might abandon this project due to objections made by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
He said due to this Sri Lankan spectrum issue, Google is now considering to shift this project in to another country, most probably a country not bound by the ITU regulations.
Addressing a press conference in Colombo with regard to the Google Loon Project, he said, on 30 November 2016 Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL) has sought clarification from the ITU .
"They have informed ICTA that the required frequencies cannot be released for the proposed test of Google Loon".
Ceylon FT learned that the ITU has strongly advised the TRCSL not to authorize this experiment without prior consultations with Sri Lanka's neighbouring countries and the public of Sri Lanka.
The ITU has stated that granting the required space may affect service in other countries in ways that may be difficult to identify even once the bands are specified in more detail.
Responding to the Ceylon FT question, minister said that there's no such thing as public opinion but there is a spectrum allocation issue. However, he said there was no government costs involved in carrying out this Project Loon discussion.
He said with regard to this spectrum issue, the Cabinet recommended seeking the advice of the Attorney General.
The Attorney General coordinated consultations in this connection with the participation of the Secretary, Ministry of Telecommunication and Digital Infrastructure and senior representatives from both TRCSL and ICTA.
The report of the Attorney General is to be presented to the Cabinet Committee on Economic Management chaired by the Prime Minister, he said.
Meanwhile, speaking to the Ceylon FT the telecom sector experts said Sri Lanka hasn't completed the ground work before announcing this project.
"Sri Lanka must obey the ITU regulations," they said.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2101
- Wag the Dog 2125
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2066
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2078
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2092
- dead man was near fashion mall 2121
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2090
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2100
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2089
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2101
- Government can be sent home 2635
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2099
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2085
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2088
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2092
- Redefining Rape 2127
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1725
- First adventures in Europe 1810
- Inspiration for writers 1809
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 1870
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 1951
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1729
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1761
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1747
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1729
- Palace shock Arsenal 1725
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1735
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1726
- Murray returns from injury 1722
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1715
- Galle win by 188 runs 1713
- Keeping Cool 1734
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1733
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2305
- In the heart of the old country 2151
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 1950
- No moral right to play with public funds 1889
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 1764
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 1718
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1553
- Health authorities in denial? 2016
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2071
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1327
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2423
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 1842
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2141
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 2942
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1763
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1727
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1749
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1729
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1750
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1720
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1738
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1737
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1724
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1727
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1733
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1727
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1726
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1728
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1730
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1773
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1739
- Economics of gambling 1601
- Trans National Aural Identity 3300
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3325
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3347
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3450
- From Couture to Kutir 3320
- Hybrid Sources 4723
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 4798
- Poetry and its possibilities 4807
- With a festive bang! 951
- Easter Fun 949
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 968
- Avurudu on the streets 983
- Tick control 953
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 963
- It’s time to save the world 1030
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1024
- Expert skincare and makeup 1039
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1004
- Exo 1030
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2110