GOOGLE LOON MAY BE DOOMED
By Ishara Gamage
Sri Lanka might abandon the two-year-old Google Loon project trial, if the Sri Lanka's regulatory authorities fail to allocate the much needed spectrum facility, Minister of Telecommunication and Digital Infrastructure Harin Fernando told yesterday.
Last December Ceylon FT exclusively reported that Sri Lanka might abandon this project due to objections made by the International Telecommunication Union (ITU).
He said due to this Sri Lankan spectrum issue, Google is now considering to shift this project in to another country, most probably a country not bound by the ITU regulations.
Addressing a press conference in Colombo with regard to the Google Loon Project, he said, on 30 November 2016 Telecommunications Regulatory Commission of Sri Lanka (TRCSL) has sought clarification from the ITU .
"They have informed ICTA that the required frequencies cannot be released for the proposed test of Google Loon".
Ceylon FT learned that the ITU has strongly advised the TRCSL not to authorize this experiment without prior consultations with Sri Lanka's neighbouring countries and the public of Sri Lanka.
The ITU has stated that granting the required space may affect service in other countries in ways that may be difficult to identify even once the bands are specified in more detail.
Responding to the Ceylon FT question, minister said that there's no such thing as public opinion but there is a spectrum allocation issue. However, he said there was no government costs involved in carrying out this Project Loon discussion.
He said with regard to this spectrum issue, the Cabinet recommended seeking the advice of the Attorney General.
The Attorney General coordinated consultations in this connection with the participation of the Secretary, Ministry of Telecommunication and Digital Infrastructure and senior representatives from both TRCSL and ICTA.
The report of the Attorney General is to be presented to the Cabinet Committee on Economic Management chaired by the Prime Minister, he said.
Meanwhile, speaking to the Ceylon FT the telecom sector experts said Sri Lanka hasn't completed the ground work before announcing this project.
"Sri Lanka must obey the ITU regulations," they said.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2432
- Wag the Dog 2394
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2352
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2376
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2408
- dead man was near fashion mall 2415
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2392
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2387
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2401
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2405
- Government can be sent home 2954
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2411
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2361
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2377
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2381
- Redefining Rape 2679
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 2013
- First adventures in Europe 2107
- Inspiration for writers 2098
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2681
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2288
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2024
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2076
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2031
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2062
- Palace shock Arsenal 2013
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2026
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1991
- Murray returns from injury 2008
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1969
- Galle win by 188 runs 1975
- Keeping Cool 2020
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2033
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2618
- In the heart of the old country 2441
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2277
- No moral right to play with public funds 2227
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 2167
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 2067
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1873
- Health authorities in denial? 2381
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2367
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1631
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2798
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2158
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2610
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3218
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2097
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2047
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2031
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2042
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2040
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2012
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 2039
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 2017
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 2022
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 2000
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 2018
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 2013
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1978
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 2013
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 2010
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2073
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2050
- Economics of gambling 1978
- Trans National Aural Identity 3601
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3686
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3675
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3749
- From Couture to Kutir 3667
- Hybrid Sources 5049
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 5086
- Poetry and its possibilities 5213
- With a festive bang! 1261
- Easter Fun 1260
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1301
- Avurudu on the streets 1312
- Tick control 1349
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1271
- It’s time to save the world 1299
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1348
- Expert skincare and makeup 1349
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1328
- Exo 1356
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2436