Madame arrested after chase
By Chamara Amarasuriya
A woman, whose driving antics endangered the life of a Police Constable, was arrested, after a chase by a civilian and remanded. On 10 March, around 11.30 p.m., Police Constables Upul (71060) and Pradeep (84770), of the Cinnamon Gardens Police were on patrol duty along Gregory's Road, close to Independence Square.
Although this is a one way road, they spotted a hybrid car being driven along it in the opposite direction. The policemen signalled it to stop, but the vehicle came to a halt only after speeding past them.
The policemen explained the offence to the driver, a beautiful woman wearing a lot of makeup and asked her to produce her licence. The woman was very angry. There were four women in the rear and one by the driver.
When PC Upul went to the front of the vehicle to check its number, the driver started the vehicle and drove off hitting him. The Constable fell on the bonnet and clung on for dear life, while PC Pradeep chased behind the vehicle.
When the car was speeding along Maitland Place, PC Upul suddenly heard a voice asking: "Sir, do you need help?" It was that of man who was driving a van parallel to the car.
"Please save me", the Police Officer screamed.
The van driver chased behind the car. It was like a car race in a movie. Soon, the van overtook the car and blocked the road.
The Police Constable would have been killed or severely injured if the car had not been forced to stop.
The van driver identified himself as Mohammed Mansoor Mohommed Manzar of Bandaranaike Road, Colombo.
All the women got off the car and took to their heels. The van driver chased the woman driver and caught her when she tripped and fell.
She was a 45-year-old married woman of Isuru Uyana in Kalutara North. She told the Police that she had been taking five girls to be delivered to several men at a night club in Cinnamon Gardens. The woman revealed that she had been the owner of a mobile brothel for a long time. She said her clients paid her between Rs 3,000 and 5,000 per a woman per night and she retained half of the take.
She had been arrested on several occasions for prostitution by the Colpetty and Bambalapitiya Police.
The car was identified as one rented from Kotte car rental for Rs 3,500 a day.
The woman driver was remanded.
Acting OIC of Cinnamon Gardens Police IP Maheka Silva and Crime OIC Upul Jayarathna are leading the investigations.
PC Upul was admitted to the Accident Ward of Colombo National Hospital.
Pic Venura Chandramalitha
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2429
- Wag the Dog 2392
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2349
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2374
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2404
- dead man was near fashion mall 2415
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2391
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2384
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2398
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2402
- Government can be sent home 2950
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2409
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2359
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2374
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2379
- Redefining Rape 2676
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 2009
- First adventures in Europe 2101
- Inspiration for writers 2094
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2672
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2284
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2018
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2072
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2029
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2059
- Palace shock Arsenal 2010
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2022
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1989
- Murray returns from injury 2006
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1966
- Galle win by 188 runs 1971
- Keeping Cool 2016
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2029
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2613
- In the heart of the old country 2440
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2272
- No moral right to play with public funds 2225
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 2163
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 2064
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1870
- Health authorities in denial? 2376
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2362
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1625
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2794
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2155
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2607
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3213
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2095
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2044
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2031
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2037
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2037
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2008
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 2036
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 2014
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 2017
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1996
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 2015
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 2009
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1977
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 2010
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 2006
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2069
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2046
- Economics of gambling 1975
- Trans National Aural Identity 3597
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3682
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3674
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3745
- From Couture to Kutir 3663
- Hybrid Sources 5045
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 5083
- Poetry and its possibilities 5207
- With a festive bang! 1258
- Easter Fun 1258
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1298
- Avurudu on the streets 1309
- Tick control 1341
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1269
- It’s time to save the world 1298
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1345
- Expert skincare and makeup 1349
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1326
- Exo 1353
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2434