Madame arrested after chase
By Chamara Amarasuriya
A woman, whose driving antics endangered the life of a Police Constable, was arrested, after a chase by a civilian and remanded. On 10 March, around 11.30 p.m., Police Constables Upul (71060) and Pradeep (84770), of the Cinnamon Gardens Police were on patrol duty along Gregory's Road, close to Independence Square.
Although this is a one way road, they spotted a hybrid car being driven along it in the opposite direction. The policemen signalled it to stop, but the vehicle came to a halt only after speeding past them.
The policemen explained the offence to the driver, a beautiful woman wearing a lot of makeup and asked her to produce her licence. The woman was very angry. There were four women in the rear and one by the driver.
When PC Upul went to the front of the vehicle to check its number, the driver started the vehicle and drove off hitting him. The Constable fell on the bonnet and clung on for dear life, while PC Pradeep chased behind the vehicle.
When the car was speeding along Maitland Place, PC Upul suddenly heard a voice asking: "Sir, do you need help?" It was that of man who was driving a van parallel to the car.
"Please save me", the Police Officer screamed.
The van driver chased behind the car. It was like a car race in a movie. Soon, the van overtook the car and blocked the road.
The Police Constable would have been killed or severely injured if the car had not been forced to stop.
The van driver identified himself as Mohammed Mansoor Mohommed Manzar of Bandaranaike Road, Colombo.
All the women got off the car and took to their heels. The van driver chased the woman driver and caught her when she tripped and fell.
She was a 45-year-old married woman of Isuru Uyana in Kalutara North. She told the Police that she had been taking five girls to be delivered to several men at a night club in Cinnamon Gardens. The woman revealed that she had been the owner of a mobile brothel for a long time. She said her clients paid her between Rs 3,000 and 5,000 per a woman per night and she retained half of the take.
She had been arrested on several occasions for prostitution by the Colpetty and Bambalapitiya Police.
The car was identified as one rented from Kotte car rental for Rs 3,500 a day.
The woman driver was remanded.
Acting OIC of Cinnamon Gardens Police IP Maheka Silva and Crime OIC Upul Jayarathna are leading the investigations.
PC Upul was admitted to the Accident Ward of Colombo National Hospital.
Pic Venura Chandramalitha
- PEB to manage SOEs - Kabir 3422
- The other side of the story 3431
- First Ambassador of SL accredited to Principality of Andorra 3410
- Entrance test in Colombo on 21 May 3419
- A fair and expeditious solution 3419
- Anti-imperialist coalition now steadier than ever 3421
- Dramatic comeback for Europe 3433
- Turkish Thorn in EU’s side 3417
- Judges probing Bond scam threatened 3434
- Only 63.2% utilized – Ranil 3429
- UK officially exits from EU 3413
- Weerawansa admitted to Nat. Hospital 3414
- Monkey robs British student’s phone 3430
- Around 800,000 suffer from depression 3412
- Will meet when time is right 3416
- Freedom fighter or terrorist? 3208
- Fond memories 3189
- In pursuit of A dream 3186
- The farce and folly of the UNHRC 3244
- The deluge we caused in Geneva 3481
- Tragedy of the common class 3141
- I’ve got my day job back- Sharapova 2856
- CPCA conducts coaching programme 2844
- RTC ALL SET FOR A GALLOPING APRIL SEASON 2842
- Sinhawansa new General Secretary 2846
- Event successfully conducted on 18/19 March 2838
- Brazil book World Cup berth 2841
- Top-seed Wawrinka ousted 2837
- Aussie media slam 'classless' Kohli 2838
- Former England keeper Read to retire 2832
- South Africa 'saved by rain' 2831
- India’s Yogi Chief Minister 2533
- The roles people play Prioritizing Sex & Gender 3262
- Typical double standards & hypocrisy 3112
- Main cause of kidney diseases 3122
- ‘Posh Pooches’ to be lavished with love 3058
- Preventive measures 3035
- Opening a can of worms 3096
- COMPOUNDED MISERY 3591
- Forefathers of Tamils of SL were original inhabitants of this Country 3856
- Jaffna Prepares for Chronic Kidney Disease 3447
- North wanted to send 1,000 participants – Shantha Bandara 3085
- India should leave SL alone– Dr. Sudarshini Fernandopulle 3706
- International mechanism will try LTTE cadres again – Thulasi 3371
- Rewarded for sensitizing rights of the disabled 3256
- Foreign Judges can hear cases – Niran Anketell 3196
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3252
- Jade Restaurants brings unbeatable seasonal offers 2609
- SRI LANKA’S FIRST TAXI METER WITH PRINTER INTRODUCED 2709
- Munchee treat for Sri Pada pilgrims 2606
- LAND ROVER DISCOVERY WITH DRONE TO HELP RED CROSS 2613
- Why Brexit is best for Britain 2612
- ‘BOC Triple Wasi’ produces 125 lucky winners 2612
- Avurudu discounts from retailers for 2620
- High rates and gifts for Avurudu from Pan Asia 2618
- DFCC Bank’s ‘Avurudu Hat-Trick’ offers season’s best rewards 2619
- Cinnamon TBCasia sets benchmark at ITB Berlin 2611
- Softlogic opens Burger King and Softlogic Max in Ja-Ela 2612
- Keells Super partners Institute of Post Harvest Technology 2619
- Singer Mega launches ‘Singer Mega Millionaire’ promotion 2613
- Global Housing & Real Estate commences Marriott project 2616
- London Stock Exchange-Deutsche Boerse deal blocked by EU 2619
- Domestic succumbs to burn injuries 2543
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3524
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2459
- Musicalisation of Narrative 5193
- The Many Faces of Galle -Part 2 5232
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction- Part 14 5202
- Afternoon Shadows 5209
- Living up to ideals 5379
- Clash of the Titans in Nuwara Eliya 5254
- Musicalized Version of Nostalgia 5475
- The Many Faces of Galle 6343
- The plight of our corals 1756
- India’s largest international décor mall launched in Bangalore 1735
- The games gods and politicians play 1726
- A challenged life 1721
- The Threshold: Patching up our privileged defeats 1791
- Animal assisted therapy 1719
- Empowering vocational studies 1835
- Your dream gaming machine 1843
- An enchanting remake 1841
- Refreshingly delicious 1836
- Xiumin 1845
- Batteries to firebombs 1353
Weather today 765