Police mark their 153rd Heroes Day
Sri Lanka Police celebrated its 150th Anniversary on 3 September 2016. However, this time Sri Lanka Police marks the 153rd Police Heroes Day.
It is said that the acolyte of one of the country's Robin Hood styled champions, Uthuwankande Saradiel, Mammale Marikkar fired at a Police Constable Saban, who eventually succumbed to his injuries, during a raid to capture Saradiel's gang on 21 March 1864 in the Uthuwankande area.
Police sources said that in commemoration of that heroic sacrifice of life by the Police Constable, the Police Department has continued to mark 21 March as the Police Heroes Day.
This year, the main event of the Police Heroes Day will be graced by IGP Pujith Jayasundera. It will be held at the Police Field Force Headquarters in Thimbirigasyaya, Colombo 5, in front of the memorial statue.
A special Police Heroes Day event has also been planned for the same day at the Mawanella town, at the precise spot where Police Constable Saban sacrificed his life, in his attempt to arrest Saradiel and his acolyte Marikkar.
Another special Police Heroes Day event has also been planned to be held at Roopaskulam, in the Ampara District, where 400 Police Officers sacrificed their lives during the separatist war on 11 June 1990.
IGP Pujith Jayasundera's attention has been drawn towards the welfare of Police officers of all ranks in the Police Department.
The IGP has instructed officials to continue payment of compensation to all Police Officers disabled during the war, while paying similar compensation to Police Officers who were rendered disabled when on duty.
The IGP has ordered the payment of compensation to Police Officers who have been sent on retirement, without completing 10 years of service due to being disabled while on duty.
The IGP has also ordered the construction of a housing scheme at the Police Heroes Village at Walbothale in Meerigama for the families of Police officers who have sacrificed their lives for the country.
The IGP has also ordered that prominence be given to those kith and kin of Police heroes who are being treated at the Police Hospital.
Among the welfare services already being rendered by the Police Department are the providing of housing facilities for Police heroes and their families by the Police Wanitha Sewa Unit.
Providing school and university scholarships to children of Police heroes and providing medical care for those afflicted by dreaded diseases.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2291
- Wag the Dog 2288
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2235
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2258
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2262
- dead man was near fashion mall 2300
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2264
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2273
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2282
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2274
- Government can be sent home 2814
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2282
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2250
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2267
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2261
- Redefining Rape 2431
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1912
- First adventures in Europe 1998
- Inspiration for writers 1969
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2285
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2167
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1903
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1954
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1927
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1918
- Palace shock Arsenal 1891
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1913
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1883
- Murray returns from injury 1903
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1861
- Galle win by 188 runs 1873
- Keeping Cool 1901
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1906
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2502
- In the heart of the old country 2325
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2153
- No moral right to play with public funds 2084
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 1998
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 1922
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1740
- Health authorities in denial? 2226
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2249
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1504
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2650
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2029
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2441
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3104
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1964
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1937
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1924
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1919
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1926
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1889
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1917
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1898
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1908
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1892
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1895
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1896
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1877
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1897
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1891
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1951
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1917
- Economics of gambling 1823
- Trans National Aural Identity 3479
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3540
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3540
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3631
- From Couture to Kutir 3529
- Hybrid Sources 4919
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 4982
- Poetry and its possibilities 5037
- With a festive bang! 1140
- Easter Fun 1130
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1178
- Avurudu on the streets 1187
- Tick control 1169
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1148
- It’s time to save the world 1196
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1216
- Expert skincare and makeup 1238
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1206
- Exo 1234
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2324