Police mark their 153rd Heroes Day
Sri Lanka Police celebrated its 150th Anniversary on 3 September 2016. However, this time Sri Lanka Police marks the 153rd Police Heroes Day.
It is said that the acolyte of one of the country's Robin Hood styled champions, Uthuwankande Saradiel, Mammale Marikkar fired at a Police Constable Saban, who eventually succumbed to his injuries, during a raid to capture Saradiel's gang on 21 March 1864 in the Uthuwankande area.
Police sources said that in commemoration of that heroic sacrifice of life by the Police Constable, the Police Department has continued to mark 21 March as the Police Heroes Day.
This year, the main event of the Police Heroes Day will be graced by IGP Pujith Jayasundera. It will be held at the Police Field Force Headquarters in Thimbirigasyaya, Colombo 5, in front of the memorial statue.
A special Police Heroes Day event has also been planned for the same day at the Mawanella town, at the precise spot where Police Constable Saban sacrificed his life, in his attempt to arrest Saradiel and his acolyte Marikkar.
Another special Police Heroes Day event has also been planned to be held at Roopaskulam, in the Ampara District, where 400 Police Officers sacrificed their lives during the separatist war on 11 June 1990.
IGP Pujith Jayasundera's attention has been drawn towards the welfare of Police officers of all ranks in the Police Department.
The IGP has instructed officials to continue payment of compensation to all Police Officers disabled during the war, while paying similar compensation to Police Officers who were rendered disabled when on duty.
The IGP has ordered the payment of compensation to Police Officers who have been sent on retirement, without completing 10 years of service due to being disabled while on duty.
The IGP has also ordered the construction of a housing scheme at the Police Heroes Village at Walbothale in Meerigama for the families of Police officers who have sacrificed their lives for the country.
The IGP has also ordered that prominence be given to those kith and kin of Police heroes who are being treated at the Police Hospital.
Among the welfare services already being rendered by the Police Department are the providing of housing facilities for Police heroes and their families by the Police Wanitha Sewa Unit.
Providing school and university scholarships to children of Police heroes and providing medical care for those afflicted by dreaded diseases.
- PEB to manage SOEs - Kabir 3422
- The other side of the story 3432
- First Ambassador of SL accredited to Principality of Andorra 3410
- Entrance test in Colombo on 21 May 3419
- A fair and expeditious solution 3419
- Anti-imperialist coalition now steadier than ever 3421
- Dramatic comeback for Europe 3433
- Turkish Thorn in EU’s side 3417
- Judges probing Bond scam threatened 3434
- Only 63.2% utilized – Ranil 3429
- UK officially exits from EU 3413
- Weerawansa admitted to Nat. Hospital 3414
- Monkey robs British student’s phone 3430
- Around 800,000 suffer from depression 3412
- Will meet when time is right 3416
- Freedom fighter or terrorist? 3208
- Fond memories 3189
- In pursuit of A dream 3186
- The farce and folly of the UNHRC 3244
- The deluge we caused in Geneva 3481
- Tragedy of the common class 3141
- I’ve got my day job back- Sharapova 2856
- CPCA conducts coaching programme 2844
- RTC ALL SET FOR A GALLOPING APRIL SEASON 2842
- Sinhawansa new General Secretary 2846
- Event successfully conducted on 18/19 March 2838
- Brazil book World Cup berth 2841
- Top-seed Wawrinka ousted 2837
- Aussie media slam 'classless' Kohli 2838
- Former England keeper Read to retire 2832
- South Africa 'saved by rain' 2831
- India’s Yogi Chief Minister 2533
- The roles people play Prioritizing Sex & Gender 3262
- Typical double standards & hypocrisy 3112
- Main cause of kidney diseases 3122
- ‘Posh Pooches’ to be lavished with love 3058
- Preventive measures 3035
- Opening a can of worms 3096
- COMPOUNDED MISERY 3591
- Forefathers of Tamils of SL were original inhabitants of this Country 3856
- Jaffna Prepares for Chronic Kidney Disease 3447
- North wanted to send 1,000 participants – Shantha Bandara 3085
- India should leave SL alone– Dr. Sudarshini Fernandopulle 3707
- International mechanism will try LTTE cadres again – Thulasi 3371
- Rewarded for sensitizing rights of the disabled 3256
- Foreign Judges can hear cases – Niran Anketell 3196
- We await President’s response – Gemunu 3252
- Jade Restaurants brings unbeatable seasonal offers 2609
- SRI LANKA’S FIRST TAXI METER WITH PRINTER INTRODUCED 2709
- Munchee treat for Sri Pada pilgrims 2606
- LAND ROVER DISCOVERY WITH DRONE TO HELP RED CROSS 2613
- Why Brexit is best for Britain 2612
- ‘BOC Triple Wasi’ produces 125 lucky winners 2612
- Avurudu discounts from retailers for 2620
- High rates and gifts for Avurudu from Pan Asia 2618
- DFCC Bank’s ‘Avurudu Hat-Trick’ offers season’s best rewards 2619
- Cinnamon TBCasia sets benchmark at ITB Berlin 2611
- Softlogic opens Burger King and Softlogic Max in Ja-Ela 2612
- Keells Super partners Institute of Post Harvest Technology 2619
- Singer Mega launches ‘Singer Mega Millionaire’ promotion 2613
- Global Housing & Real Estate commences Marriott project 2616
- London Stock Exchange-Deutsche Boerse deal blocked by EU 2619
- Domestic succumbs to burn injuries 2543
- The crisis in Parliament: Twilight of a functioning democracy 3524
- Mispriced Risk of Infectious Diseases 2459
- Musicalisation of Narrative 5193
- The Many Faces of Galle -Part 2 5232
- Footpaths Towards Deconstruction- Part 14 5202
- Afternoon Shadows 5209
- Living up to ideals 5379
- Clash of the Titans in Nuwara Eliya 5254
- Musicalized Version of Nostalgia 5475
- The Many Faces of Galle 6343
- The plight of our corals 1756
- India’s largest international décor mall launched in Bangalore 1735
- The games gods and politicians play 1726
- A challenged life 1721
- The Threshold: Patching up our privileged defeats 1791
- Animal assisted therapy 1719
- Empowering vocational studies 1835
- Your dream gaming machine 1843
- An enchanting remake 1841
- Refreshingly delicious 1836
- Xiumin 1845
- Batteries to firebombs 1354
Weather today 765