Messi double edges six-goal thriller Barca's way
(AFP) Barcelona closed to within two points of Real Madrid at the top of La Liga as Lionel Messi scored twice in a thrilling 4-2 win over 10-man Valencia at Camp Nou on Sunday.
Earlier, Antoine Griezmann scored a stunning free-kick as Atletico Madrid compounded a week to forget for Sevilla with a 3-1 at the Vicente Calderon.
Barca needed to come from behind to keep the pressure on Madrid as Eliaquim Mangala headed Valencia in front.
But the on-loan Manchester City defender was sent-off for pulling down Luis Suarez after the Uruguayan had levelled and Messi smashed home the resulting penalty.
Munir El Haddadi briefly levelled for the 10 men before half-time, but Messi and finally Andre Gomes with his first Barca goal sealed the three points.
Madrid still also have a game in hand over their title rivals.
"We created a huge number of chances and deserved to win by a bigger margin," Barca boss Luis Enrique told Spanish TV station Movistar.
"Against an opponent with very good players we've picked up three valuable points."
Enrique named the same side that beat Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 10 days ago to progress to the Champions League quarter-finals in stunning fashion.
And whilst not matching that drama, there was no shortage of action as Valencia showed up the defensive flaws in Enrique's new 3-4-3 system.
An action packed final 15 minutes of the first-half saw four goals and a red card.
Barca's weakness from set-pieces was exposed again a week on from conceding twice from corners in a 2-1 defeat at Deportivo la Coruna when Mangala powered home Dani Parejo's corner to open the scoring.
The lead lasted just six minutes as Suarez raced onto Neymar's throw-in to slot into the far corner.
Mangala went from hero to villain as he then pulled down Suarez inside the area to concede a penalty and be sent-off.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2184
- Wag the Dog 2195
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2145
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2168
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2170
- dead man was near fashion mall 2214
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2176
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2187
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2178
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2193
- Government can be sent home 2728
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2192
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2165
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2179
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2176
- Redefining Rape 2279
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1819
- First adventures in Europe 1902
- Inspiration for writers 1882
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2041
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2063
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1814
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1862
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1830
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1817
- Palace shock Arsenal 1807
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1821
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1796
- Murray returns from injury 1806
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1791
- Galle win by 188 runs 1793
- Keeping Cool 1812
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1821
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2406
- In the heart of the old country 2235
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2057
- No moral right to play with public funds 1977
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 1868
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 1810
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1643
- Health authorities in denial? 2114
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2162
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1419
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2537
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 1929
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2318
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3031
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1866
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1810
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1831
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1808
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1838
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1800
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1818
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1818
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1814
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1808
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1812
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1815
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1806
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1804
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1811
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1857
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1825
- Economics of gambling 1707
- Trans National Aural Identity 3392
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3418
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3434
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3545
- From Couture to Kutir 3427
- Hybrid Sources 4830
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 4886
- Poetry and its possibilities 4925
- With a festive bang! 1047
- Easter Fun 1036
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1069
- Avurudu on the streets 1084
- Tick control 1062
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1056
- It’s time to save the world 1118
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1119
- Expert skincare and makeup 1142
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1106
- Exo 1132
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2224