Trinity in creative victory

  👤  4090 readers have read this article !
By 2017-03-21

Trinity displayed a scintillating brand of rugby to overwhelm S. Thomas' by 29 points (5 tries, 2 conversions) to 14 points (2 tries, 2 conversions) and to annex the 40th Canon R. de Seram Trophy in their annual rugby encounter played at Longden Place yesterday.

With this win Trinity remain unbeaten this season.
Trinity found their opponents S. Thomas' a tough bunch of defenders but they found the way to find the openings with their fast and open brand of rugby. They created the openings by moving the ball among their players and crossed the Thomian line five times.

Trinity began the game in a fast pace knowing that the Thomians can offer a similar brand in return. They faced some stiff resistance by the Thomian forwards who tackled resolutely knowing that Trinity can capitalize on any loose play.
Trinity had a good opportunity to score in the first minute of play when centre Dilruksha Dange received the ball and went through for a try but referee Rohan Fernando disallowed the try for some reason or other.
However, Trinity scored their first try in the 22nd minute when a series of moves saw Amith Kulatunga go over the line unchallenged.

Lashan Wijesuriya made the conversion easily.
Trinity increased on this lead ten minutes later when centre Avishka Sheik created an opening and went through. Wijesuriya again converted and they led 14-0.

Trinity continued to play fast open rugby and scored again five minutes later when Lashan Wijesuriya went over by the corner flag off a three-quarter move. He failed to convert but Trinity led 19-nil.
Trinity centre Dange again went over the line just before the half time but was not given due to an infringement, but Trinity led 19-nil at half time.

Thomians struck early in the second half and the game was just three minutes old when they were offered a penalty.
Fly half Hans Walpola took a quick short tap and ran through 20 metres to go under the post.
Dion Dias had an easy conversion to reduce on the score, 19-7.

Both teams continued to play fierce rugby with much physical contact that entertained the sparse crowd.
Trinity scored next just four minutes later when skipper and number eight Nathan Chang barged over for an unconverted try.
S. Thomas' scored next when they took play into Trinity territory and won a line out about 15 metres from Trinity goal line. They worked the backs and Jayasinghe went over for a try which Dias converted.

But Trinity were not done yet and with the minutes running out winger Jayasinghe went over from a three-quarter move.
Wijesuriya failed to convert it and with that the long whistle was blown leaving Trinity easy winners 29-14.




Read More


Read More


Read More


Read More


Read More



Read More


Read More


Read More