Trinity in creative victory
Trinity displayed a scintillating brand of rugby to overwhelm S. Thomas' by 29 points (5 tries, 2 conversions) to 14 points (2 tries, 2 conversions) and to annex the 40th Canon R. de Seram Trophy in their annual rugby encounter played at Longden Place yesterday.
With this win Trinity remain unbeaten this season.
Trinity found their opponents S. Thomas' a tough bunch of defenders but they found the way to find the openings with their fast and open brand of rugby. They created the openings by moving the ball among their players and crossed the Thomian line five times.
Trinity began the game in a fast pace knowing that the Thomians can offer a similar brand in return. They faced some stiff resistance by the Thomian forwards who tackled resolutely knowing that Trinity can capitalize on any loose play.
Trinity had a good opportunity to score in the first minute of play when centre Dilruksha Dange received the ball and went through for a try but referee Rohan Fernando disallowed the try for some reason or other.
However, Trinity scored their first try in the 22nd minute when a series of moves saw Amith Kulatunga go over the line unchallenged.
Lashan Wijesuriya made the conversion easily.
Trinity increased on this lead ten minutes later when centre Avishka Sheik created an opening and went through. Wijesuriya again converted and they led 14-0.
Trinity continued to play fast open rugby and scored again five minutes later when Lashan Wijesuriya went over by the corner flag off a three-quarter move. He failed to convert but Trinity led 19-nil.
Trinity centre Dange again went over the line just before the half time but was not given due to an infringement, but Trinity led 19-nil at half time.
Thomians struck early in the second half and the game was just three minutes old when they were offered a penalty.
Fly half Hans Walpola took a quick short tap and ran through 20 metres to go under the post.
Dion Dias had an easy conversion to reduce on the score, 19-7.
Both teams continued to play fierce rugby with much physical contact that entertained the sparse crowd.
Trinity scored next just four minutes later when skipper and number eight Nathan Chang barged over for an unconverted try.
S. Thomas' scored next when they took play into Trinity territory and won a line out about 15 metres from Trinity goal line. They worked the backs and Jayasinghe went over for a try which Dias converted.
But Trinity were not done yet and with the minutes running out winger Jayasinghe went over from a three-quarter move.
Wijesuriya failed to convert it and with that the long whistle was blown leaving Trinity easy winners 29-14.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2205
- Wag the Dog 2205
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2160
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2183
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2185
- dead man was near fashion mall 2227
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2193
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2197
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2198
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2201
- Government can be sent home 2739
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2203
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2177
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2192
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2190
- Redefining Rape 2298
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1831
- First adventures in Europe 1917
- Inspiration for writers 1896
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2067
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2083
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1825
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1875
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1840
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1830
- Palace shock Arsenal 1820
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1831
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1805
- Murray returns from injury 1823
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1804
- Galle win by 188 runs 1803
- Keeping Cool 1822
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1832
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2420
- In the heart of the old country 2251
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2072
- No moral right to play with public funds 1991
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 1885
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 1826
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1654
- Health authorities in denial? 2126
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2172
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1428
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2552
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 1942
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2337
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3045
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1878
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1820
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1844
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1821
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1849
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1809
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1830
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1827
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1829
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1818
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1823
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1829
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1816
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1818
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1820
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1872
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1839
- Economics of gambling 1725
- Trans National Aural Identity 3406
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3435
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3449
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3557
- From Couture to Kutir 3442
- Hybrid Sources 4843
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 4897
- Poetry and its possibilities 4942
- With a festive bang! 1060
- Easter Fun 1049
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1083
- Avurudu on the streets 1098
- Tick control 1082
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1066
- It’s time to save the world 1124
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1127
- Expert skincare and makeup 1154
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1123
- Exo 1142
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2241