Drs. Foster & Smith Inc.
Race Foster, DVM
Tick control is not unlike that used for fleas in that there are no shortcuts, no sure cures, and the battle must be on-going. Tick control is a two-step process, in that measures must be implemented to treat both the environment and the pet. Ticks, despite all their legs and ugliness are not hard to kill.
Reduce ticks in the environment
Tick control in the environment generally involves removing tick habitat. Removing leaves and clearing brush and tall grass from around the house and kennel areas can help reduce the number of ticks.
Because rodents, deer, and other animals can harbour ticks, it is important to control these animals as well.
Remember the cold, frosty fall weather does not kill ticks, and in fact, that is when the deer tick numbers are at their peak. In Northern, Wisconsin, the best time to contract Lyme Disease is during September, October, and November since the deer tick is the primary carrier. The point here is that environmental control needs to continue into the fall and early winter.
The Brown Dog Tick, Rhipicephalus sanguineus is the most troublesome tick in kennels and yards and is found almost
everywhere. It can complete its life cycle in about two months, and although uncommon, it can become established indoors. If you do encounter an indoor tick problem, then use a flea and tick fogger. Fog as you would for fleas. In the house, ticks tend to crawl to a higher area (like they do in grass). They may be found in cracks around windows and doors. Because of this tendency and the fact that ticks crawl, and do not jump or fly, another option is to apply a 1-foot barrier of insecticide such as a flea and tick powder where the carpet meets the wall around the entire room. As a result, ticks moving to the walls to climb higher will come in contact with the insecticide and be killed. And, finally, remember to wash the pet's bedding regularly.
Tick control on your pet
Keeping pets out of grasses and woods helps to reduce their exposure to ticks. But any animal outside can quite easily have a tick crawl on board. Perform a "tick check" on yourself and your pets after returning from being outside.
Products that kill and repel ticks are often needed. Products for pets are many and varied and include once-a-month topical products, sprays, powders, dips, shampoos, and collars.
Permethrin should NOT be used on cats. Instead, use a product containing pyrethrin, imidacloprid, or fipronil.
Once-a-month Topicals: Once-a-month topical insecticides are applied to a small area on the back of the pet, are probably the easiest product to use, and generally, last the longest. Some kill fleas and ticks, and others just fleas, so check the label carefully. Ingredients generally include permethrin, pyrethrin, imidacloprid, or fipronil. Examples of these products include Bio Spot-Spot On for Cats, Bio Spot-Spot On for Dogs, K9 Advantix II for Dogs, and Frontline Top Spot. Revolution, which contains selamectin, is a monthly topical product that controls American Dog Ticks (Dermacentor variabilis) only.
Sprays: Flea and tick control sprays can come as aerosols or pump bottles. When using a spray, you do not have to soak the pet with the spray, but be sure to spray all parts of the animal. Spray a small amount on a cotton ball to apply the product around the eyes and ears. Do not get any of these products in the eyes. Follow your veterinarian's and the manufacturer's directions on how often to spray, and spray in a well-ventilated area. Sprays often contain permethrin (use on dogs only, not on cats) or pyrethrin.
Note: Most cats prefer the pump bottles, since the hiss from the aerosols may sound too much like the hiss of another cat. If you are going to use an aerosol spray on a cat, it may be helpful to spray a cloth with the product (away from the cat), and then rub the cat with the cloth.
Powders: Powders are generally easy to apply but can create a mess. If you or your pet has asthma, powders may not be the best choice of product since the powder could be inhaled. Be sure to use powders in well-ventilated areas. Powders often contain pyrethrin.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2432
- Wag the Dog 2394
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2352
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2376
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2408
- dead man was near fashion mall 2415
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2392
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2387
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2401
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2405
- Government can be sent home 2954
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2411
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2361
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2377
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2381
- Redefining Rape 2679
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 2013
- First adventures in Europe 2107
- Inspiration for writers 2098
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2681
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2288
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2024
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2076
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2031
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2062
- Palace shock Arsenal 2013
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2026
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1991
- Murray returns from injury 2008
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1969
- Galle win by 188 runs 1975
- Keeping Cool 2020
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2033
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2618
- In the heart of the old country 2441
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2277
- No moral right to play with public funds 2227
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 2167
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 2067
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1873
- Health authorities in denial? 2381
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2367
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1630
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2798
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2158
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2609
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3218
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2097
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2047
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2031
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2042
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2040
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2012
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 2039
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 2017
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 2022
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 2000
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 2018
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 2013
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1978
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 2012
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 2010
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2073
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2050
- Economics of gambling 1977
- Trans National Aural Identity 3600
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3686
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3675
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3749
- From Couture to Kutir 3667
- Hybrid Sources 5049
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 5086
- Poetry and its possibilities 5213
- With a festive bang! 1261
- Easter Fun 1260
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1301
- Avurudu on the streets 1312
- Tick control 1349
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1271
- It’s time to save the world 1299
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1348
- Expert skincare and makeup 1349
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1328
- Exo 1356
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2436