Exo is a South Korean-Chinese boy group based in Seoul. Formed by S.M. Entertainment in 2011, the group debuted in 2012 with twelve members separated into two subgroups, Exo-K (Suho, Baekhyun, Chanyeol, D.O., Kai, and Sehun) and Exo-M (Xiumin, Lay, Chen and former members Kris, Luhan and Tao), performing music in Korean and Mandarin respectively.
In May 2011, at a Hallyu business seminar held at Stanford University, Lee Soo-man spoke about a strategy of debuting a new boyband, in which they would be divided into two subgroups, promoting the same music simultaneously in South Korea and China by performing songs in both Korean and Mandarin. After several member changes, in December 2011, the group finalized their name to Exo, taken from the word exoplanet. They are divided into two subgroups, Exo-K ('K' for Korean) for South Korea and Exo-M ('M' for Mandarin) for China. They debuted their first televised performance at SBS's annual 'Gayo Daejun' event on 29 December 2011.
Exo-K and Exo-M's prologue single "What Is Love" was released on 30 January 2012, in mainland China and South Korea. On 9 March the group released their second prologue single "History", which was written and produced by Thomas Troelsen and Remee.
A concert for the group was held in Seoul's Olympic Stadium on 31 March. Approximately 3,000 fans from 8,000 applicants were selected to attend. A second concert was held in the Great Hall of the Beijing University of International Business and Economics on 1 April.
Exo-K and Exo-M released their debut single, "Mama", on 8 April followed by an EP Mama, on 9 April. The two sub-groups promoted the album separately in two countries. On 8 April Exo-K performed on South Korea's music program The Music Trend, while Exo-M made their debut in China's Top Chinese Music Awards on the same day. The mandarin version of Mama reached number two on China's Sina Album Chart, while the Korean album peaked at number one on the Gaon Album Chart and number eight on the Billboard World Albums Chart.
In November, Exo won Best New Asian Artist Group at the 2012 Mnet Asian Music Awards. Exo-K received three nominations at the 27th Golden Disk Awards, winning the Newcomer Award. Exo-M received the Most Popular Group Award at the 2013 Top Chinese Music Awards.
Exo's first album XOXO (2013), which contained the breakthrough hit "Growl", was a critical and commercial success, winning both Disk Daesang at the 28th Golden Disk Awards and Album of the Year at the 15th Mnet Asian Music Awards. It sold over one million copies, making Exo the best-selling Korean artist in twelve years. Exo ended 2013 with six albums in the Gaon's Yearly Top 10 Best-Selling Albums, including all their 2013 album releases in both the Korean and Chinese version as well as their debut EP Mama.
In May 2014, Kris filed a lawsuit against S.M. Entertainment to be removed from the group. Luhan followed suit in October 2014. In April 2015, Tao suspended his activities and subsequently followed suit in August 2015. Following their departures, Exo carried on with nine members. In July 2016, it was announced that the lawsuit between Luhan, Kris, and S.M. Entertainment had been settled: the two idols will maintain their contract with SM until 2022, S.M. Entertainment will contract out their work outside of Korea and Japan – i.e. to their current Chinese agencies – and they will "share related revenues with S.M. Entertainment".
Subsequent albums and EPs continued with strong sales, and Exo were ranked the most influential celebrity by Forbes Korea Power Celebrity for the year 2014 and 2015. They have been named "the biggest boyband in the world" by media outlets, saying that "EXO are at the forefront of pop domination, with knife-point choreography seamlessly gelled to songs crafted by some of the world's most gifted writers and producers, honed by their myriad of personalities and talents."
Exo's third studio album, Ex'Act, along with its singles "Lucky One" and "Monster", were released on 9 June 2016 in both Korean and Mandarin versions. Domestic pre-sales for the album surpassed 660,000, making it the most pre-ordered K-pop album of all time. The album later broke the record for the highest first week sales of a Korean album, breaking their previous record set by Sing For You, by selling 522,372 copies in one week. The album also went on to top the United World Albums Chart. "Monster" became Exo's first number one on the Billboard World Digital Songs chart, while "Lucky One" debuted at number 3. As part of their Ex'Act promotions, Exo and Korean fashion magazine W Korea collaborated on "Exoclusive", a project to publish a 54-page, nine-cover edition of the magazine. "Exoclusive" ended up recording the highest number of sales as a fashion magazine in Korea after selling nearly a million copies. On 15 July S.M. Entertainment and Putto Entertainment released Exo's official mobile game Exorun.
On 18 August a repackaged edition for Ex'Act, titled Lotto, was released. It contained the original tracks from Ex'Act along with four new songs including the single of the same name. "Lotto" became Exo's second number one on the Billboard World Digital Songs Chart and peaked at number 2 on Gaon's Digital Chart. Lotto's Korean and Chinese versions reached number 1 and 2 respectively on Gaon's Album Chart. Within two months of its original release, Ex'Act sold over 1.17 million copies, honouring Exo with the title of "Triple Million Sellers".
On 5 October, S.M. Entertainment announced the first sub-unit of Exo, consisting of three members: Chen, Baekhyun and Xiumin, who had previously released an original soundtrack titled "For You" for the SBS television series Moon Lovers: Scarlet Heart Ryeo. On 24 October the sub-unit was announced to be named EXO-CBX, "CBX" being the initials of the members' stage names. EXO-CBX released their debut extended play Hey Mama! and the music video for the single of the same name on 31 October.
Their third winter album and fifth extended play For Life was released on 19 December. They did not engage in promotions for the album or it's single "For Life", and as of 2017 it had sold over 442,000 copies. It was revealed at the end of 2016 that during the year, the group had sold 2.13 million albums including solos and sub-units.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2114
- Wag the Dog 2136
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2078
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2091
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2105
- dead man was near fashion mall 2135
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2104
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2112
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2105
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2117
- Government can be sent home 2649
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2115
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2098
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2103
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2106
- Redefining Rape 2146
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1738
- First adventures in Europe 1824
- Inspiration for writers 1821
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 1896
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 1967
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1740
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1775
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1760
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1744
- Palace shock Arsenal 1734
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1749
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1736
- Murray returns from injury 1734
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1727
- Galle win by 188 runs 1722
- Keeping Cool 1746
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1746
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2326
- In the heart of the old country 2165
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 1965
- No moral right to play with public funds 1900
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 1777
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 1733
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1565
- Health authorities in denial? 2032
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2087
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1341
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2443
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 1861
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2158
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 2956
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1779
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1740
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1764
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1738
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1764
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1735
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1754
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1752
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1736
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1740
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1744
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1736
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1740
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1740
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1745
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1783
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1751
- Economics of gambling 1622
- Trans National Aural Identity 3316
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3341
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3364
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3468
- From Couture to Kutir 3341
- Hybrid Sources 4740
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 4812
- Poetry and its possibilities 4824
- With a festive bang! 969
- Easter Fun 964
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 983
- Avurudu on the streets 1004
- Tick control 976
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 983
- It’s time to save the world 1047
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1040
- Expert skincare and makeup 1053
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1018
- Exo 1047
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2127