IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete
(AFP) World champions Sergey Shubenkov and Maria Kuchina are among seven more Russian athletes cleared to compete as neutrals, while the Russian team is banned for doping, the IAAF said on Tuesday.
It takes the tally of Russians granted permission by athletics' governing body to compete to 12 and was greeted with cautious optimism in Russia, with high-jump star Kuchina saying she was relishing returning to elite-level action.
"I wish to thank the Doping Review Board for their continued dedication and diligence in assessing these applications," said IAAF President Sebastian Coe, clearing the seven to take part in international competition, including the world championships in London in August.
The other Russians deemed to be drug-free were: Illia Mudrov (pole vault); Sergey Shirobokov (race walks); Daniil Tsyplakov (high jump); Olga Mullina (pole vault); and Yana Smerdova (race walks). The Doping Review Board of the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) 'unanimously accepted' their applications, the IAAF said in a statement, as it attempts to clean up the sport.
Russia's athletics team was barred wholesale from the Rio Olympics last summer because of widespread doping that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) says was state-sponsored.
Moscow has repeatedly denied allegations it was involved, but WADA has said the cheating extended to multiple Olympic sports from the Summer and Winter Games over several years.
The reigning 2015 world champion Kuchina told R-Sport agency: "Of course the main event is the world championships and I need to prepare for it.
"I have enough power and emotions and will just start working. I'm happy to compete together with the world's strongest high jumpers. Happy there finally will be a tough competition."
In February the IAAF extended the ban on Russia's track and field team to the prestigious world championships this summer -- Russia has been barred from international competition since November 2015.
Reigning 110m hurdles world champion Shubenkov was damning then of the IAAF's prolonged ban on the Russian team.
The drug-tainted RusAF, the Russian Athletics Federation, said dozens more of its athletes were hoping to make it to the London showpiece.
"It's a good sign that the IAAF has issued a decision that we have all been waiting a long time for," Maria Trushchenkova, a RusAF top official, told AFP on Tuesday.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2291
- Wag the Dog 2288
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2235
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2258
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2262
- dead man was near fashion mall 2300
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2264
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2273
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2282
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2274
- Government can be sent home 2814
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2282
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2250
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2267
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2261
- Redefining Rape 2431
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1912
- First adventures in Europe 1998
- Inspiration for writers 1969
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2285
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2167
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1903
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1954
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1927
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1918
- Palace shock Arsenal 1891
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1913
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1883
- Murray returns from injury 1903
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1861
- Galle win by 188 runs 1873
- Keeping Cool 1901
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1906
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2502
- In the heart of the old country 2325
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2153
- No moral right to play with public funds 2084
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 1998
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 1922
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1740
- Health authorities in denial? 2226
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2249
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1504
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2650
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2029
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2441
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3104
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1964
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1937
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1924
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1919
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1926
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1889
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1917
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1898
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1908
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1892
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1895
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1896
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1877
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1897
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1891
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1951
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1917
- Economics of gambling 1823
- Trans National Aural Identity 3479
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3540
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3540
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3631
- From Couture to Kutir 3529
- Hybrid Sources 4919
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 4982
- Poetry and its possibilities 5037
- With a festive bang! 1140
- Easter Fun 1130
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1178
- Avurudu on the streets 1187
- Tick control 1169
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1148
- It’s time to save the world 1196
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1216
- Expert skincare and makeup 1238
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1206
- Exo 1234
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2324