IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete
(AFP) World champions Sergey Shubenkov and Maria Kuchina are among seven more Russian athletes cleared to compete as neutrals, while the Russian team is banned for doping, the IAAF said on Tuesday.
It takes the tally of Russians granted permission by athletics' governing body to compete to 12 and was greeted with cautious optimism in Russia, with high-jump star Kuchina saying she was relishing returning to elite-level action.
"I wish to thank the Doping Review Board for their continued dedication and diligence in assessing these applications," said IAAF President Sebastian Coe, clearing the seven to take part in international competition, including the world championships in London in August.
The other Russians deemed to be drug-free were: Illia Mudrov (pole vault); Sergey Shirobokov (race walks); Daniil Tsyplakov (high jump); Olga Mullina (pole vault); and Yana Smerdova (race walks). The Doping Review Board of the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) 'unanimously accepted' their applications, the IAAF said in a statement, as it attempts to clean up the sport.
Russia's athletics team was barred wholesale from the Rio Olympics last summer because of widespread doping that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) says was state-sponsored.
Moscow has repeatedly denied allegations it was involved, but WADA has said the cheating extended to multiple Olympic sports from the Summer and Winter Games over several years.
The reigning 2015 world champion Kuchina told R-Sport agency: "Of course the main event is the world championships and I need to prepare for it.
"I have enough power and emotions and will just start working. I'm happy to compete together with the world's strongest high jumpers. Happy there finally will be a tough competition."
In February the IAAF extended the ban on Russia's track and field team to the prestigious world championships this summer -- Russia has been barred from international competition since November 2015.
Reigning 110m hurdles world champion Shubenkov was damning then of the IAAF's prolonged ban on the Russian team.
The drug-tainted RusAF, the Russian Athletics Federation, said dozens more of its athletes were hoping to make it to the London showpiece.
"It's a good sign that the IAAF has issued a decision that we have all been waiting a long time for," Maria Trushchenkova, a RusAF top official, told AFP on Tuesday.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2429
- Wag the Dog 2392
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2349
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2374
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2404
- dead man was near fashion mall 2415
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2391
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2384
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2398
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2402
- Government can be sent home 2950
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2409
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2359
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2374
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2379
- Redefining Rape 2676
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 2009
- First adventures in Europe 2101
- Inspiration for writers 2094
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2672
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2284
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 2019
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 2073
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 2029
- CEAT revs up for 2017 2059
- Palace shock Arsenal 2010
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 2022
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1989
- Murray returns from injury 2006
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1966
- Galle win by 188 runs 1971
- Keeping Cool 2016
- Do the right thing and do it now! 2029
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2613
- In the heart of the old country 2440
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2272
- No moral right to play with public funds 2225
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 2163
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 2064
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1870
- Health authorities in denial? 2376
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2362
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1625
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2794
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 2155
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2607
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3213
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 2095
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 2044
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 2031
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 2037
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 2037
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 2008
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 2036
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 2014
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 2017
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1996
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 2015
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 2009
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1977
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 2010
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 2006
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 2069
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 2046
- Economics of gambling 1976
- Trans National Aural Identity 3597
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3682
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3674
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3745
- From Couture to Kutir 3663
- Hybrid Sources 5045
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 5083
- Poetry and its possibilities 5207
- With a festive bang! 1258
- Easter Fun 1258
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1298
- Avurudu on the streets 1309
- Tick control 1341
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1269
- It’s time to save the world 1298
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1345
- Expert skincare and makeup 1349
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1326
- Exo 1353
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2434