IAAF clears seven more Russians to compete
(AFP) World champions Sergey Shubenkov and Maria Kuchina are among seven more Russian athletes cleared to compete as neutrals, while the Russian team is banned for doping, the IAAF said on Tuesday.
It takes the tally of Russians granted permission by athletics' governing body to compete to 12 and was greeted with cautious optimism in Russia, with high-jump star Kuchina saying she was relishing returning to elite-level action.
"I wish to thank the Doping Review Board for their continued dedication and diligence in assessing these applications," said IAAF President Sebastian Coe, clearing the seven to take part in international competition, including the world championships in London in August.
The other Russians deemed to be drug-free were: Illia Mudrov (pole vault); Sergey Shirobokov (race walks); Daniil Tsyplakov (high jump); Olga Mullina (pole vault); and Yana Smerdova (race walks). The Doping Review Board of the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations) 'unanimously accepted' their applications, the IAAF said in a statement, as it attempts to clean up the sport.
Russia's athletics team was barred wholesale from the Rio Olympics last summer because of widespread doping that the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) says was state-sponsored.
Moscow has repeatedly denied allegations it was involved, but WADA has said the cheating extended to multiple Olympic sports from the Summer and Winter Games over several years.
The reigning 2015 world champion Kuchina told R-Sport agency: "Of course the main event is the world championships and I need to prepare for it.
"I have enough power and emotions and will just start working. I'm happy to compete together with the world's strongest high jumpers. Happy there finally will be a tough competition."
In February the IAAF extended the ban on Russia's track and field team to the prestigious world championships this summer -- Russia has been barred from international competition since November 2015.
Reigning 110m hurdles world champion Shubenkov was damning then of the IAAF's prolonged ban on the Russian team.
The drug-tainted RusAF, the Russian Athletics Federation, said dozens more of its athletes were hoping to make it to the London showpiece.
"It's a good sign that the IAAF has issued a decision that we have all been waiting a long time for," Maria Trushchenkova, a RusAF top official, told AFP on Tuesday.
- China to provide 90 water bowsers worth Rs 1b 2184
- Wag the Dog 2195
- A brief look at FARC’s origins in Colombia 2145
- ‘Panama Papers’ bags Pulitzer 2168
- SAITM will cooperate with Govt 2170
- dead man was near fashion mall 2214
- Japanese MPs back Lanka’s development 2176
- CB Bond earnings whitewashed – JVP 2187
- Talks to extend Lanka’s Continental Shelf 2178
- Ex-DIG and son re-remanded 2193
- Government can be sent home 2728
- GMOA flogging SAITM for Mahinda– Rajitha 2192
- Ranil invites Japan to invest in S. Asia 2165
- Somali Pirates’ Captives Back Home 2179
- Customs in Rs 8 M bust 2176
- Redefining Rape 2279
- The march of folly Our mad Cabinet system 1819
- First adventures in Europe 1902
- Inspiration for writers 1882
- Sri Lanka’s sustainable development dream 2041
- Sinhala and Tamil New Year with Easter 2063
- Filipino Oconer wins overall title 1814
- Unsporty conduct by Joes 1862
- Bertie Wijesinghe, pre-Test era Sri Lankan cricketer, dies aged 96 1830
- CEAT revs up for 2017 1817
- Palace shock Arsenal 1807
- Argentina fire coach Bauza 1821
- BCCI postpones SGM to 18 April 1796
- Murray returns from injury 1806
- New mum Azarenka to return to WTA 1791
- Galle win by 188 runs 1793
- Keeping Cool 1812
- Do the right thing and do it now! 1821
- Ravi Jayewardene Pious son of a political giant 2406
- In the heart of the old country 2235
- Sarath Weerasekera’s Geneva adventure 2057
- No moral right to play with public funds 1977
- No need for fine if route permits are issued in fair, just manner 1868
- UDA incurs Rs 330M Loss 1810
- DOUSING A MEGA SHIP FIRE 1643
- Health authorities in denial? 2114
- Minorities’ frustration a powder keg – VIDURA 2162
- Administrative powers a must for the Plantation Tamils –Radhakrishnan 1419
- Rajapaksa sought advice from McGuinness– Indika Perera 2537
- I will lead SLFP to victory in future elections – President 1929
- Hang the ‘traitors’– RTD. REAR ADMIRAL WEERASEKARA 2318
- We oppose Nationalism and Federalism – Samarasinghe 3031
- SilkAir launches direct flights to Colombo 1866
- Rupee falls on thin volumes 1810
- SriLankan, Japan Airlines add new routes 1831
- Colombo Port box volume up 5.6-pct in Jan 1808
- Private sector to transform into main domestic growth engine 1838
- Oil eases from 5-week top, rising US production weighs 1800
- Tight fiscal and monetary policies constrain SL’s growth 1818
- Shell admits dealing with money launderer 1818
- Toshiba may sell chip business to Foxconn for $27bn 1814
- Asian shares pressured by geopolitical risks; Nikkei down 0.25% 1808
- SLIM launches Certificate in Digital Marketing 1812
- Microsoft Hosts Second ‘Device Day’ in Sri Lanka 1815
- Emirates named Best Airline in the World 1806
- Turkish Airlines and social media assist Somalia 1804
- Brain cell therapy ‘promising’ for Parkinson’s disease 1811
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1857
- Thailand discovers Power of Women Travellers 1825
- Economics of gambling 1707
- Trans National Aural Identity 3392
- Queen Anula The Shadow of Cleopatra 3418
- Poetry and its possibilities Part 2 3434
- The Enigma of Labyrinths 3545
- From Couture to Kutir 3427
- Hybrid Sources 4830
- Offering Riddles & Enigmas 4886
- Poetry and its possibilities 4925
- With a festive bang! 1047
- Easter Fun 1036
- Arrogance and crowing is the way of the doomed 1069
- Avurudu on the streets 1084
- Tick control 1062
- Sunny Sunday on the beach 1056
- It’s time to save the world 1118
- From viewer to YouTuber! 1119
- Expert skincare and makeup 1142
- Avurudu at Induruwa 1106
- Exo 1132
- Remembering our fallen heroes 2224