The New Constitution Creating divisions for democracy
By Ananda Ariyarathne
"An ordinary Tamil who lives in Jaffna minds his personal affairs and looks forward to good events like paying homage to Lord Skanda and undertake such rigorous journeys on foot through the traditional paths. They go through Sinhala villages and are respected. How relaxed they feel after completing their journey and offering their devotion. Who would stop them from their annual pilgrimages like those? Do they want that legalized? Similarly, when Sinhalese go to worship Nagadeepa and other shrines in Tamil Hindu areas who would mind? Although some incidents are reported, either they are exaggerated or caused by mentally sick extremists."
Now after so many years of friction and imposed peace, people are getting used to the realities. The ordinary Tamil people know that Sinhalese are not monsters and they have started coming out of their 'Traditional Homelands' looking for opportunities in other lands. What is wrong in that? Even the so-called hard headed Sinhalese extremists would not say anything about that.
It is a very encouraging and a pleasing trend that Tamil youth can be seen everywhere in the country now mingling with the so-called 'monsters'. It is not a rare scene now to see young boys and girls working in garment factories associating each other so well. One can see young Sinhala boys helping their colleagues going out of their way to look for boarding houses and so on. How many building sites have become lively with masons and helpers who have come from Jaffna?
Self rule and day-to-day living
The cynicism and cruelty of human beings are not a social ailment. It is an ailment of a few individuals. As long as people do not step on each other's feet, there shall not be any reasons for people to start frictions. If people are left alone for themselves to live freely, those scheming politicians will not have any valid reasons to move around. That is why they want people to be different so that they will feel different and that way will never come closer. The funniest thing is that they talk about 'harmony'.
From morning till evening they think, plan and plot to set people against each other and they say they cannot find solutions.
How will such a thing like 'Self Rule' make it different? If people are alienated, how will they come closer? Self Rule denotes only one meaning. That is that there is no faith or trust. Will not the same set of self appointed saviours be running the show? Now, they have tried to give a decent appearance to this plot to segregate people by making it look more democratic. Now the champions talk about 'Sharing Power' and they show that even the Sinhalese will be benefited that way. The 'truth' they hide is the fact that even the Sinhalese will be divided. It is funny in a way, how desperately those 'Saviours' act in trying to prove what they try to do is the best.
Therefore, if we relax and become neutral to weigh things, it shall not be difficult to observe that it is not the system that has gone out of control. It is those operators of the system who have gone out of control.
It is the mental condition instilled in people who first become prejudiced before looking for what they wish to see. It is a negative condition people have developed in their minds. Due to that, the human values have disappeared. The members of our society, regardless of their ethnicities have problems which are aggravating by the day. It has nothing to do with ethnicities. Our society has been misled to such an extent, all have started running for something which make them forget their purpose of living even.
Those are the benefits we have got from this 'Open Economy' which permits anything to reach anyone anywhere. Then we scream that the younger generation is destroyed. While it can be said that there is problem like that, is it something that can be tagged only Sinhalese? That exemplary Tamil culture is getting destroyed too.
Everywhere there are divisions. People are not allowed to think independently. They are prevented from seeing reason. And we talk about democracy and rights of people. Everything is moving towards chaos. A well planned Chaos, at that.
Are Tamil people really angry with Sinhalese?
This is a question all of us ask from our own selves. The schemers have been using sensitive issues because such will be more convincing. If Tamil people are allowed to speak their minds, will they say that they suffered under armed forces?
How many parents died at the hands of ruthless LTTE killers? How many innocent young children were led to their deaths by those? What are those called? Definitely not atrocities! For a change, Tamil people should start inquiring about their own people who are missing. Now, even for those were caused to be missing by LTTE are going to the credit of the armed forces. How many young Sinhalese village boys gave their lives to free those innocent people from the LTTE fighters?
How many Tamil elders were killed by trigger happy misled youngsters? Again what was happening? Was not it the same malady? The creation of 'divisions'?
People should unite
Disregarding ethnicities, people should start reaching each other. That shall be the beginning of the end for the crafty and dishonest politicians who have made politics a way of life for them by becoming a severe burden on all the people.
Do we really want divisions for better democracy?
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
If we join with the govt then the vote will tilt to the JVP or people will abstain from voting We have to form a new party!
- Moscow’s Middle East Resurgence
- How the UK Always Plays Ireland
- SEUSL gets a ‘Hela Bojun’ outlet
- BRT system could solve transport issues – Dr Gunaruwan
- Rajitha call for unity to eradicate malaria
- Foreign Investments strengthen Reserves
- Five arrested for attacking students
- Russian drowns in Hikkaduwa
- Inflation in 2017:Inclement weather to blame - CBSL
- Hasen Ali quits SLMC for UPA
- PC Amendment Act Bathiudeen unhappy
- Dayasiri blasts Janayugaya
- Recognizing Jerusalem as Israeli capital:SPPFA criticizes Trump
- Sriyani pledges to support President Quits JO due to neglect
- 25% Women representation Faiszer blasts opposing Ministers
- Most Ven. Prajnananda Maha Thero dead
- Railway strike to continue Talks with Kariyawasam not fruitful - Dodangoda
- Opposition failed to criticize Budget– Harsha
- Air Force X’mas Carols
- Prof. Hapuarachchi accepts responsibility, says: ‘Mawbima’ news item is correct
- Railway Unions adamant Despite essential service declaration
- UN’s CAT OP effective from 4 Jan
- H’tota Port officially handed over to China First tranche of US$ 294 M paid yesterday
- Supply of coconuts to Army Treasury faces huge loss
- Budget passed with 99 majority
- Lakmal stars in Sri Lanka’s victory
- Asia Rugby U-19 Hong Kong trounce Sri Lanka
- Premier League Club Cricket BRC and Colts win
- Dialog Champions League Emma scores hat-trick
- Army SC in hard fought win
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Match drawn at Moratuwa
- 12th Singapore Nationals Lankan Synchro swimmers excel
- England draw warm-up match
- Shakib named new Bangladesh Test captain
- Dr. Lucas wins gold medals
- Truax shocks DeGale with majority decision
- Southee, Boult dominate for Kiwis
- James carries Cavs, Clippers edge Wizards
- Conte concedes title chances are gone
- Lowry-McDowell share lead
- MAS boxers dominate
- Turkey: Nearly 70 journalists on trial in one week
- Havelocks win a tight game
- Sri Lanka can rise to the occasion
- Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Rahula and S. Thomas’ win
- Fiscal Liability Act in Parliament in Jan
- First tranche of us$ 294 M for Hambantota Port Boost for foreign reserves, imports- cb Governor
- ‘Ports and Shipping Ministry ranked least efficient’
- Finance Company bad loans up 11.5%
- Dilshan Wirasekara elected to CSE Board
- The Jobs Numbers: US employers add 228,000 new jobs Last updated: 8 December 2017
- Stocks rally as dollar posts best week this year
- Nikkei leads Asia markets higher on Friday
- World Bank says Government lacks the will
- Lessons for WTO from EU’s ‘differentiated integration’
- Global powers lobby to stop ‘special’ Brexit deal
- WTO summit What you need to know
- US jobs growth stronger than expected
- WTO won’t survive Recognizing China as a Market Economy
- China has one big advantage
- Offline and online integration delightful customer journeys
- New investors for operational Port
- tea, rubber, spice exports to Korea soon President slams Diplomats for not promoting exports Says many countries aren’t aware SL produces tea, rubber Navin eyes 40% Chinese market share, from current 25%
- TI Cycles to buy two Lankan firms for $3.3M
- Two shortlisted for BOC’s new GM/CEO post
- Local Govt elections: Dilemma of the voter People get the leaders they deserve - Joseph de Maistre
- From stifling the freedom of expression A culture of accountability need of the hour To deal with the culture of impunity that pervades Sri Lankan institutions
- Concretes & Abstracts Pogrom in the Penitentiary & T.S. Elliot
- FRANCHISE DELAYED IS FRANCHISE DENIED
- Books the potent portable medium
- Sampanthan’s unique role
- United nations warns:No hasty returns of Rohingya to Myanmar!
- New Constitution Altering Territorial Boundaries
- Sale of migrants as slaves in Libya May be crime against humanity UN
- Trimble Inc land survey contract Surveyors cry foul, but accused of inefficiency
- Railway tracks cheaper than highways
- Delimitation process Public response quite low – Dr. K. Thavalingam
- Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- We are moving forward whilst clashing with each other
- Transport systems Cheaper and efficient solutions needed – Prof. Kumarage
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Tourists least concerned about liquor availability Reducing the price of beer a blunder! A gateway to all other drugs
- Plantar fasciitis That Intolerable Heel Ache
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!