The New Constitution Creating divisions for democracy
By Ananda Ariyarathne
"An ordinary Tamil who lives in Jaffna minds his personal affairs and looks forward to good events like paying homage to Lord Skanda and undertake such rigorous journeys on foot through the traditional paths. They go through Sinhala villages and are respected. How relaxed they feel after completing their journey and offering their devotion. Who would stop them from their annual pilgrimages like those? Do they want that legalized? Similarly, when Sinhalese go to worship Nagadeepa and other shrines in Tamil Hindu areas who would mind? Although some incidents are reported, either they are exaggerated or caused by mentally sick extremists."
Now after so many years of friction and imposed peace, people are getting used to the realities. The ordinary Tamil people know that Sinhalese are not monsters and they have started coming out of their 'Traditional Homelands' looking for opportunities in other lands. What is wrong in that? Even the so-called hard headed Sinhalese extremists would not say anything about that.
It is a very encouraging and a pleasing trend that Tamil youth can be seen everywhere in the country now mingling with the so-called 'monsters'. It is not a rare scene now to see young boys and girls working in garment factories associating each other so well. One can see young Sinhala boys helping their colleagues going out of their way to look for boarding houses and so on. How many building sites have become lively with masons and helpers who have come from Jaffna?
Self rule and day-to-day living
The cynicism and cruelty of human beings are not a social ailment. It is an ailment of a few individuals. As long as people do not step on each other's feet, there shall not be any reasons for people to start frictions. If people are left alone for themselves to live freely, those scheming politicians will not have any valid reasons to move around. That is why they want people to be different so that they will feel different and that way will never come closer. The funniest thing is that they talk about 'harmony'.
From morning till evening they think, plan and plot to set people against each other and they say they cannot find solutions.
How will such a thing like 'Self Rule' make it different? If people are alienated, how will they come closer? Self Rule denotes only one meaning. That is that there is no faith or trust. Will not the same set of self appointed saviours be running the show? Now, they have tried to give a decent appearance to this plot to segregate people by making it look more democratic. Now the champions talk about 'Sharing Power' and they show that even the Sinhalese will be benefited that way. The 'truth' they hide is the fact that even the Sinhalese will be divided. It is funny in a way, how desperately those 'Saviours' act in trying to prove what they try to do is the best.
Therefore, if we relax and become neutral to weigh things, it shall not be difficult to observe that it is not the system that has gone out of control. It is those operators of the system who have gone out of control.
It is the mental condition instilled in people who first become prejudiced before looking for what they wish to see. It is a negative condition people have developed in their minds. Due to that, the human values have disappeared. The members of our society, regardless of their ethnicities have problems which are aggravating by the day. It has nothing to do with ethnicities. Our society has been misled to such an extent, all have started running for something which make them forget their purpose of living even.
Those are the benefits we have got from this 'Open Economy' which permits anything to reach anyone anywhere. Then we scream that the younger generation is destroyed. While it can be said that there is problem like that, is it something that can be tagged only Sinhalese? That exemplary Tamil culture is getting destroyed too.
Everywhere there are divisions. People are not allowed to think independently. They are prevented from seeing reason. And we talk about democracy and rights of people. Everything is moving towards chaos. A well planned Chaos, at that.
Are Tamil people really angry with Sinhalese?
This is a question all of us ask from our own selves. The schemers have been using sensitive issues because such will be more convincing. If Tamil people are allowed to speak their minds, will they say that they suffered under armed forces?
How many parents died at the hands of ruthless LTTE killers? How many innocent young children were led to their deaths by those? What are those called? Definitely not atrocities! For a change, Tamil people should start inquiring about their own people who are missing. Now, even for those were caused to be missing by LTTE are going to the credit of the armed forces. How many young Sinhalese village boys gave their lives to free those innocent people from the LTTE fighters?
How many Tamil elders were killed by trigger happy misled youngsters? Again what was happening? Was not it the same malady? The creation of 'divisions'?
People should unite
Disregarding ethnicities, people should start reaching each other. That shall be the beginning of the end for the crafty and dishonest politicians who have made politics a way of life for them by becoming a severe burden on all the people.
Do we really want divisions for better democracy?
- SAITM will continue with changes 3054
- Arundika questioned 2992
- Man hangs his children, commits suicide 3005
- Cabinet passes buck to Faiszer 3002
- Court restricts SAITM protests 3000
- UNHCR tracking Rohingya girl’s rape 3003
- Army Chief now a General & CDS 2999
- Lankans scammed in FB swindle 3002
- Nabbed with Rs 20 M Gold at BIA 2989
- 20 OICs shuffled countrywide 2998
- Lanka must consider nuclear option – Dr. Guruswamy 3009
- Police protection for garbage dumps 2981
- Attanagalla LG Polls… Basil wants seat discrepancies sorted out 2993
- GMOA WILL FIGHT ON FOR GLOBAL STANDARDS 3008
- Religious Leaders Seek Justice 3007
- Jaffna blood shortage sheer bunkum 2980
- Group of Sri Lankan boatpeople sent home 2972
- ‘Mistral’ and ‘Courbet’ Leave Colombo 2974
- National Waste Management Dialogue Begins 2973
- Businessman abducted in Wennappuwa 2978
- TN wants boats, fishermen released 2974
- Iran and the Jihadist virus 3003
- India-US: Convergences and Divergences 2976
- Challenges for Saudi Arabia’s new Crown Prince 3013
- Govt to issue fresh statement 4337
- ‘Gateway to Kataragama’ opens on 15 July 2139
- Gerald Mendis: Living the life to the fullest 2834
- IUSF abusing human rights 2146
- The march of folly Uses and instruments of disinformation 1974
- TRUMP BREAKS EID TRADITION AT WHITE HOUSE 1977
- Farah calls time on track racing 2477
- $2m sent to child of FIFA member before 2022 World Cup awarded - report 2474
- RACE TO BEAT THE RAIN 2474
- 40 teams advance to second round 2464
- 16 teams advance to second round 2460
- GAMPAHA PETERS’ IN CONVINCING WIN 2460
- Frank de Boer appointed Crystal Palace manager 3021
- SLC hires Podiatrist from Aussie 3186
- De Villiers to meet with CSA in August to decide future 3027
- Galle CC players yet to be paid 3040
- Toying with Danger 1050
- ‘Spot’ Unseats ‘Forwards’ After Years 1048
- Social media changing our lives 1765
- Correlation between terrorism and Islam Fact or fiction? 1792
- Eid-ul-Fitr A day of thanksgiving to God in all humility 2399
- Black Hartal in Bandarawela today! 2653
- Railway worries and TU action 3811
- TNA jittery over TPC – C.V. Wigneswaran 2265
- TPC with a hidden agendaSeeks to weaken ITAK – Senathirajah 2174
- Lanka ranked global 5th in marine pollution– GENERAL MANAGER OF THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY DR. TERNEY PRADEEP KUMARA 3616
- Lanka Hospitals PLC wins six Awards for Quality and Productivity at NCQP 2017 1859
- Innovators in payment 1850
- CIC sponsors ‘SLMA Health Run & Walk 2017’ 1848
- Arpico felicitates top hardware dealers 1857
- Grow Your Business exhibition 1854
- ‘Most tropical forests will disappear by end of century’ 1850
- The only specialists for all things hybrid in Sri Lanka 1855
- NEXT Campus celebrates graduation 1851
- Kahawita De Silva & Associates bags top honours 1850
- Chicken industry in jeopardy 1886
- Vivo retains IPL title rights till 2022 1333
- Holistic social intervention The crying need for waste management 4535
- A time of gifts Beginning of my second year 2370
- Winter is Here! Not really, but will be soon. 1477
- The Esoteric Romanticist Hashan Abeygunarathne 1500
- The Nightingale and the Rose 1471
- Explore what lies under the waves With the Power Ray Drone 1054
- She’s the Man: Review 1054
- Try this when people come to you with their problems 3460
- International Yoga Day Celebration 3443
- Females born under Maha Bhagya Yoga 3466
- Latest Findings on Coconut Oil Kills Cancer in Two Days! 3730
- Birth Nakshatra says what you are – Part 4 3431
- Flying with the Flamingos Saga of the survival of the human spirit 3916
- Hindustani Vocal recital 3848
- Flying with Flamingos Literary exploration into protracted conflict 3922
- Battles and Laments 3898
- Six walks in the fictional woods 3859
- Argus-eye Indexical Dimension of Sign-Making 3833
- Pickpockets! 3648
- Haunted House 3589
- Latest lady chef in city 940
- Horton Plains invaded 1062
- Haiti 911
- GERMANY 884
- Invention of coloured crayons for kids 892
- Sri Lankan contingent to take wing 903
- Jinyoung 709
- A colourful night 707
- The story of Madura 823
- Cycling through the island 716
- It’s all about winning 719
- Flying cars soon a reality? 718