Serendib Flour Mills brings sustainability to the forefront
Serendib Flour Mills (SFML) is one of the leading flour mills in Sri Lanka and is a joint venture between Al Ghurair Foods (AGF) and Emirates Trading Agency (ETA). The company recently embarked on a long-term sustainability drive to minimize the company's impact on the planet, whilst improving the overall management of water and energy use at its milling facility. Serendib Flour Mills CEO Kevin O'Leary shines a light on the key protocols and measures that are being put in place at SFML to ensure that the company's flour milling operation becomes as lean, efficient and environmentally-friendly as possible.
Carbon footprint reductions and the efficient use of energy: Commenting on the overall objectives of SFML's sustainability initiatives, Kevin O'Leary said: "We are trying to reduce our long-term greenhouse gas emissions and ensure that we use water and energy in the most efficient manner. Whilst a more environmentally-friendly operation enables us to tread lightly on the planet, it also enables us to reduce our operational costs and minimize the unnecessary wastage of important natural resources."
A full 360-degree assessment: SFML recently hired Control Union, an independent international assurance and certification body to conduct a full environmental assessment of the company's operations and milling facility.
Based on the findings of the study, measures are now being put in place to reduce the company's total carbon emissions by 8% in 2017. A variety of smart energy solutions are also being discussed and will be rolled out throughout SFML over the course of the next five years.
A new tanker to silo operation: This month, SFML delivered its first tanker to silo operation to Diana Biscuits and is planning to offer the storage option to other customers as well. Instead of constantly transporting large volumes of flour between the milling facility and customer factories, the tanker stores 20 tonnes of flour at a customer's factory site itself, and eliminates additional transport costs altogether.
Explaining the benefits of using new storage solutions such as the silo, Kevin O'Leary said: "The use of this innovative storing option saves a great deal of fuel and energy, however, it is also more hygienic as the flour has zero human contact and travels directly from SFML to the silo and finally to a customer's factory site itself. The silo uses robust FIFO practises, is more efficient, it reduces unloading times as well as transportation and labour costs – enabling SFML and our customers to reduce costs and reduce the impact on the planet."
Green leadership: Commenting on how SFML is spearheading its sustainability initiatives, Kevin O'Leary said: "We recently appointed an energy management team – a diverse group of professionals from across the organization, who come together on a monthly basis to plan out all activities, analyse our reports and form our energy policies, in consultation with Control Union. The team also engages with an energy expert to share and learn more about best practises and new ideas." He further added: "We also are trying to increase employee awareness on key issues such as water conservation, recycling and the need to save energy, we've deployed a series on internal messages throughout the organization such as regular e-mail reminders and notices, we will also come together more as a team to celebrate key environmental hallmark days. Additionally, we will be investing in conducting ongoing training sessions, to ensure that proper environmental practises become a core part of even day-to-day office activities."
Saving resources at every touch point: Going forward, SFML will also be taking steps to replace key motors in the factory to more energy efficient models where possible.
A comprehensive maintenance plan has been put in place to ensure that no tools and equipment leak or overuse electrical energy. All washrooms, taps and water outlets will also be replaced with equipment modifications such as automated taps. In the future, SFML will also explore the potential of solar energy as part of its long-term plan to use more renewable energy sources to run key of its operation.
Sustainability is a way of life: Commenting on SFML's overall approach to sustainability, Kevin O'Leary concluded: "Sustainability is not just about reducing wastage and pollution, it should be a way of life. It's something that affects our well-being, our society and our business operations, so it's important for us take responsibility for it.
As a manufacturer and responsible corporate citizen, we must take measures to protect our natural environment and minimize our impact on the planet.
Applying a sustainable approach to business will prove pivotal to ensuring our own well-being, and it will secure the longevity of our industries and future generations as well."
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- UN damns Lanka 14,000 minors in childcare centres Calls for urgent reforms
- Russia restricts Lanka tea over beetle scare Top-level delegation off to Moscow
- Call to criminalize marital rape Justice Ministry seeks Cabinet approval
- Jumbo killings Armed protection unit to be set up Fines, jail terms to be increased
- Crossovers loom prior to polls
- SC issues notice on Elections Chief
- Jilted SLFP shuns JO forever
- CEB TU threatens strike Gives 18th as ultimatum
- Gnanasara Thera’s request for foreign travel denied
- Chinese envoy says OBOR will take Sino-Lanka ties to new level
- Police Chief in pre-poll warning Errant officers will be dealt with strictly
- Court extends Stay Order on Gota case
- Sriyani as State Minister of PCs and LG JO crossover pledged support for MS
- Rains to prevail Landslide warning to Galle, Kalutara to be reviewed
- BJP lauds ‘Ram Setu’ findings Hits out at critics
- Two held for impersonation at exam centre
- Female Genital Mutilation Advice sought from medical experts
- Hambantota Port to China India raises security concerns
- Indian Air Force Chief at passing out parade
- Statement from the Embassy of the State of Palestine
- LG Governance first to collapse in N&E
- Asgiriya Secy criticizes Govt
- Namal’s Hello Corp case on 13 December
- Attanayake’s foreign travel request Court to consider on 4 Dec
- Drugs & alcohol abuse in NE Religious reps to address issue
- Interesting battle at Havelock Park
- Thurstan win inaugural golf tourney
- History making Pulisic US men’s footballer of the year
- Knicks down Nets despite early exit for Porzingis
- 34th Mercantile Individual Tournament 2017 McLarens shuttlers Overall Champions
- Retired Hewitt takes tilt at Aussie Open doubles
- Lamborghini World Final 2017 Malagamuwa finishes third
- Committee clears Thilaka as SL coach
- Basnayake uncontested president at SLCF
- Premier League Club Cricket Primosh scores second ton
- Vinod and Taniya win Junior golf titles
- Taveesh wins two Gold medals
- Austin Waugh, in Australia's U-19
- CH come back to win
- Smith foils England again
- Emphatic win for CR
- No Malinga in T20 squad
- ‘Singer Trophy’ Under-19 Cricket Paceman Bandara steers Kingwood
- Federer voted BBC overseas sports personality of the year
- SLC looking to re-launch showpiece T20 league
- Astron wins again at SLIM NASCO 2017
- NDB brings Santa to the doorstep
- Com Bank opens branch No. 259 in Yatiyantota
- Amãna Takaful relocates Matale Branch
- Lotus Tyres rewards sales agents
- DFCC Bank sponsors 2017 Inter-School Golf Tournament
- Huawei announces Christmas promotion
- Elephant House recognized by Interbrand
- Singer (Sri Lanka) partners with Pan Asia Bank
- Disney deal suggests the Tax bill may mean little for the economy
- Commonwealth Bank admits failures in money laundering case
- Japanese business confidence hits 11-year high
- Eurozone economy to grow at faster rate, says Central Bank
- SEC to mandate dual roles for CEOs & Chairmen
- Alumex to commence EU & Aus exports
- Fiscal Policy Act remains toothless: Governor
- Samantha Rajapaksa gives up all AMW posts
- 'Publish excuses for corporate governance non-compliance'
- Jetwing Symphony IPO oversubscribed
- Shares recover from an 8-month low
- Christmas cheer is in the air!
- So, this is Christmas!
- A Time of Gifts Winding up
- Landmine deaths soar in 2016 With record number of child victims monitors
- Unravelling Nietzsche’s ‘death of God’ mystery
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- We want a change in Muslim representation– Hasen Ali
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!