Bangladesh's Shafiul gets Champions Trophy nod
(AFP) Bangladesh on Thursday recalled fit-again fast bowler Shafiul Islam as they named a 15-man Champions Trophy squad ahead of the tournament in England in June.
Shafiul, who last played for Bangladesh in October, replaces Subashis Roy, the only change to the squad that drew the recent ODI series 1-1 in Sri Lanka.
"Shafiul has been our one of the best bowlers of late, but we could not include him in the squad in recent tours because of fitness concerns," said chief selector Minhajul Abedin.
"Now he looks fit and we hope the conditions in UK will also suit his bowling," he added.
Wicketkeeper-batsman Nurul Hasan and all-rounder Shuvagata Hom, who were included in the extended squad in Sri Lanka but did not play, missed out.
Bangladesh will return to the Champions Trophy after more than a decade, having last played the tournament in 2006 in India.
They will feature in Group A alongside hosts England, and Australia and New Zealand in the eight-team event.
The Mashrafe Mortaza-led team will open their campaign against England at the Oval on June 1.
Bangladesh will hold a 10-day training camp in Sussex and a tri-series competition against Ireland and New Zealand ahead of the main tournament.
Bangladeshi selectors added Nurul, Roy and batsman Nasir Hossain to their squad for the tri-series event, which will be hosted by Ireland.
Nasir, who has played 17 Tests and 58 ODIs, will make his return after missing recent tours in New Zealand and Sri Lanka during a drop in form.
"He played well in recent competitions, so we decided to take him to the tri-series to help him readjust in the national team set-up," said Minhajul.
Bangladesh - Mashrafe Mortaza (capt), Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Soumya Sarkar, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Sabbir Rahman, Mosaddek Hossain, Sanjamul Islam, Mustafizur Rahman, Taskin Ahmed, Rubel Hossain, Mehedi Hasan and Shafiul Islam.
- Govt to issue fresh statement 3108
- GMOA threatens another strike 3067
- Rs 40 Bn more needed to correct flaws 3581
- Two more students arrested 3061
- Teachers threaten strike 3064
- Scot stranded in SL begs for help to return home 3065
- Return of Lanka’s boat people 3064
- GHSATD on strike 3055
- Daylight heist in Ragama 3052
- Six million in disaster prone areas 3051
- Details on Parliament vehicles withheld 3069
- Dambulla Rock Temple 3054
- India challenges China’s intentions 3059
- Surviving the Trump problem 3060
- Foreign policy geared to promoting unity –Ravi K 3056
- Strike cripples postal services 3057
- Garbage disposal facility at Puttalam 3049
- Anti-garbage drive in WP 3048
- J-SLPFL offers flood relief 3042
- Tea growers in doldrums after floods 3046
- Government takes a step back on SAITM Ignores human nature at your peril 3233
- Ampara Muslims celebrate Ramazan on grand scale 3045
- Committee hands in its recommendations 3044
- Govt to stop SAITM enrolment and degree awards 3681
- IUSF claims leaders’ parents threatened 3081
- The march of folly Uses and instruments of disinformation 1940
- TRUMP BREAKS EID TRADITION AT WHITE HOUSE 1946
- Amsterdam – Canals, Bicycles, and Rembrandt 1946
- The Ideal of Islamic Charity 2383
- Eid-Ul-Fitr a Unique Festival Time of Joy for Muslims 2386
- Frank de Boer appointed Crystal Palace manager 2379
- SLC hires Podiatrist from Aussie 2440
- De Villiers to meet with CSA in August to decide future 2381
- Galle CC players yet to be paid 2388
- Samitha seals Bronze in Korea 2380
- Mahela dismisses report about Indian coaching job 2383
- Jayantha follows Ford’s footsteps 2982
- Akash, Taniya, Dhuwarshan, Yannik and Reshan on Top 2382
- Ricciardo wins in Baku 2380
- Coleman downed again as upsets hit trials 2380
- Social media changing our lives 1746
- Correlation between terrorism and Islam Fact or fiction? 1760
- Eid-ul-Fitr A day of thanksgiving to God in all humility 2389
- I regret introducing commercial whale watching – Ranawake 2747
- Beaten but not defeated 2728
- Railway worries and TU action 3779
- TNA jittery over TPC – C.V. Wigneswaran 2246
- TPC with a hidden agendaSeeks to weaken ITAK – Senathirajah 2148
- Lanka ranked global 5th in marine pollution– GENERAL MANAGER OF THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY DR. TERNEY PRADEEP KUMARA 3577
- NGO funded ‘traitors’ don’t want peace in Sri Lanka – Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe 4655
- Amaranthé Bay wins ‘2017 Certificate of Excellence’ 1982
- Vespa and Aprilia SR 150 launched in Sri Lanka 1985
- The adversity of Trumponomics and Philippines goes 'Blink' 1981
- The need for a ‘Smarter Trade Strategy’ to be discussed 1981
- ThreadSol – Key to accelerating apparel exports 1982
- DR. SAMAN KELEGAMA: A STUPENDOUS CONTRIBUTION TO THE STATE, PRIVATE SECTORS 2004
- Exciting new leasing promo from Commercial Bank and United Motors 1982
- Kanrich Finance receives Carbon Conscious Certificate 1985
- Mastercard expands Labs in Asia Pacific 1983
- Sampath Bank named ‘Most Innovative Bank’ in Sri Lanka 1978
- Holistic social intervention The crying need for waste management 3836
- A time of gifts Beginning of my second year 2359
- Enlightening the younger generation 2692
- Explore what lies under the waves With the Power Ray Drone 1030
- She’s the Man: Review 1024
- Understanding Rheumatoid Arthritis 1291
- Eid-ul-Fitr A day of Love and Compassion 1297
- The Brains behind Royal and Regal 1511
- Try this when people come to you with their problems 3450
- International Yoga Day Celebration 3432
- Females born under Maha Bhagya Yoga 3444
- Latest Findings on Coconut Oil Kills Cancer in Two Days! 3706
- Birth Nakshatra says what you are – Part 4 3424
- Flying with the Flamingos Saga of the survival of the human spirit 3899
- Hindustani Vocal recital 3838
- Flying with Flamingos Literary exploration into protracted conflict 3899
- Battles and Laments 3890
- Six walks in the fictional woods 3847
- Argus-eye Indexical Dimension of Sign-Making 3826
- Pickpockets! 3641
- Haunted House 3583
- Latest lady chef in city 914
- Horton Plains invaded 1040
- Haiti 901
- GERMANY 878
- Invention of coloured crayons for kids 888
- Sri Lankan contingent to take wing 893
- Jinyoung 701
- A colourful night 697
- The story of Madura 783
- Cycling through the island 700
- It’s all about winning 708
- Flying cars soon a reality? 702
LATEST NEWSRead More