Bangladesh's Shafiul gets Champions Trophy nod
(AFP) Bangladesh on Thursday recalled fit-again fast bowler Shafiul Islam as they named a 15-man Champions Trophy squad ahead of the tournament in England in June.
Shafiul, who last played for Bangladesh in October, replaces Subashis Roy, the only change to the squad that drew the recent ODI series 1-1 in Sri Lanka.
"Shafiul has been our one of the best bowlers of late, but we could not include him in the squad in recent tours because of fitness concerns," said chief selector Minhajul Abedin.
"Now he looks fit and we hope the conditions in UK will also suit his bowling," he added.
Wicketkeeper-batsman Nurul Hasan and all-rounder Shuvagata Hom, who were included in the extended squad in Sri Lanka but did not play, missed out.
Bangladesh will return to the Champions Trophy after more than a decade, having last played the tournament in 2006 in India.
They will feature in Group A alongside hosts England, and Australia and New Zealand in the eight-team event.
The Mashrafe Mortaza-led team will open their campaign against England at the Oval on June 1.
Bangladesh will hold a 10-day training camp in Sussex and a tri-series competition against Ireland and New Zealand ahead of the main tournament.
Bangladeshi selectors added Nurul, Roy and batsman Nasir Hossain to their squad for the tri-series event, which will be hosted by Ireland.
Nasir, who has played 17 Tests and 58 ODIs, will make his return after missing recent tours in New Zealand and Sri Lanka during a drop in form.
"He played well in recent competitions, so we decided to take him to the tri-series to help him readjust in the national team set-up," said Minhajul.
Bangladesh - Mashrafe Mortaza (capt), Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Kayes, Soumya Sarkar, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riyad, Sabbir Rahman, Mosaddek Hossain, Sanjamul Islam, Mustafizur Rahman, Taskin Ahmed, Rubel Hossain, Mehedi Hasan and Shafiul Islam.
Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA
- Harmony needed for religious freedom – Minister 1646
- CMC property taxes 1643
- Proposed tax on EPF, ETF ICEU seeks urgent meeting with Minister 1644
- Car plunges into river Two dead, three critically injured 1645
- Arson attack on schoolgirl’s house Minister promises new home 1646
- Australian gender advocate in Lanka Broderick to meet business, public leaders 1643
- Fire at Weligama textile store 1641
- Protest planned on Matale A9 Road Compensation demand for lost property 1643
- Rs 128,250,000 spent on survey Samurdhi union demands reimbursement 1642
- NEC to boost economy – President Shot in the arm for agriculture sector 1643
- Driver who killed 13 in Barcelona rampage Spanish police in manhunt 1639
- NLB, DLB back with Finance Ministry 1637
- Govt. has failed says Sampanthan Complains in letter to UNSG 1636
- New LG Draft Bill in Parliament on 24 August 1637
- Travis Sinniah appointed Navy Chief Holder of highest combat medal 1641
- Solution to ethnic issue New Constitution the only way – Mano 1637
- 18-year sentence sought for Lankan Convicted of human smuggling 1637
- SIS man on the mat Nabbed with gold at BIA 1637
- Dullas defends Wijeyadasa 1639
- Student leader Ryan remanded Surrenders to Court through lawyers 1637
- No mandate for foreign judges – Marapana 1637
- Floods, landslides cost Rs 109 B Rs 70B needed to rebuild houses – PM 1637
- China and Turkey aspiring for Greatness in the World 3259
- General Wanasinghe’s 84th birthday today 3356
- Wiggy blasts Thavarajah 3419
- Bribery and corruption pervasive malaise in Sri Lanka 1645
- Schoolboy publisher Notching up half a century in business 1642
- Spirits Nether world inhabitants visiting us 1644
- Persisting pseudo ideals 1638
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 1914
- Seven countries compete 1640
- Saparamadu wins gold medal in Taiwan 1643
- Theekshana, Ranasinghe emerge champions 1641
- Doluweera and Sayuni win in chess 1644
- Singer Cup’ U-17 Division II Cricket St. Peter’s meet Galahitiyawa Central 1641
- Ronaldo nominated for FIFA player award 1641
- Halep advances 1637
- Ton-up Cook and Root give Windies hard day’s night 1637
- England power to semi finals 1637
- More Floodlights for Dambulla 1658
- Political commentary What’s next? Who’s next? 3676
- THE SHADOWS IN THE CB SCAMS 4463
- Turmeric eaten on daily basis reverses cancer Confirmed by new scientific evidence 3936
- Drivers welcome stiffer traffic fines 4688
- What the FCID have achieved since 2015 3772
- Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA 2584
- No taxes on EPF withdrawals– John Seneviratne 3294
- Zero support for Justice Minister within UNP – Ajith P. Perera 3338
- Recent increase in security has caused fear among Northerners – Ramanathan 2637
- Lanka should gain from OBOR - Dr. Jayasuriya 3897
- China cracks down on VPN vendors 1644
- Roaming downtime hits customers on Three in Europe 1644
- Very few girls took computing A-levels 1643
- Chatbot helps students to choose courses 1644
- Game of Thrones struck by fresh leak 1642
- Peanut allergy treatment ‘lasts up to four years’ 1642
- Anger and hatred can make us feel happy, says study 1638
- Japanese fungus spreading in UK hospitals 1638
- Plants ‘hijacked’ to make polio vaccine 1639
- Disruption is over, and Facebook won 1638
- A time of gifts Staying on 1397
- Manuka honey:The superbug killer 2230
- A time of gifts Trying to settle down 2127
- Chithral releases his latest song 1396
- Florals: A Fashion Favourite 1394
- Be a lioness not a lamb 906
- Places to visit in Kandy 1262
- Dhothalu Oya Sandaraja Forest amidst tea estates 1390
- Understanding and Interpreting their results 1859
- Two lunar eclipses in August 1730
- Undergoing an Erashtaka period ? 1717
- Aging with Venus 1673
- Gemstones empower aura 1682
- Correlation Between Social Formation and Text 3765
- The global and local in Hong Kong cinema-part 05 3671
- Commendations or Brickbats 4313
- Why we should listen to Jane Austen in the age of Tinder 4457
- Lullaby of the Ever-Returning Love universal yet coloured by culture 4461
- A story of Palestinians without Palestine 3647
- First impressions, are they important? 3652
- Oscar nominee to perform in Sri Lanka 3644
- Healing the helpless 1728
- Winging it overseas 1713
- From the hospital to the news room 1732
- India revisited 1702
- Showers of blessings 1720
- Healing from port to port 1696
- Master gamers 1717
- The flawed beauty 1705
- The second best in Asia 1708
- Young robotics engineers 1667
- A quest to fight evil 1673
- NCT Dream 1670