Lankan woman in US wins car
A 30-year-old Sri Lankan woman in Austin won a new car on Wednesday by keeping her lips locked on it for 50 hours.
Dilini Jayasuriya got the keys to a 2017 Kia Optima LX after winning a drawing that included the six other people who had finished the "Kiss a Kia" contest held by 96.7 KISS FM radio at Southwest Kia in Round Rock.
Jayasuriya, who is married and works in a state health lab, is a native of Sri Lanka. She said she and her husband were sharing one car since she had to give up on her 1998 Toyota Camry because it broke down too much.
Her husband, Ashan Panagoda, was at Southwest Kia Round Rock on Wednesday morning when she won the car. She called out to him, "I want to go to the beach," before he gave her a big hug.
Jayasuriya said she was surprised to win. There were times she felt like giving up during the contest, she said. "I had a couple of freak-out moments like something was in my eye," she said. She also said she would then tell herself she could keep going.
The car Jayasuriya won is worth $23,108. The other six finalists who had kept their lips pressed to two cars on and off since 7 a.m. Monday won a variety of prizes, including Austin City Limits passes and tickets to Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars and the Chainsmokers.
The competition started with 20 contestants but most never made it to the end because they took their lips off the cars they were kissing, either because they fell asleep, got distracted or just wanted to leave.
The contestants had a 10-minute break every hour. They also were required to rotate around the cars they were kissing and had to spend time sitting and standing.
August Kostroun, a 36-year-old draftsman and designer from Round Rock, was one of the finalists. He said the friends and family who texted him during the contest helped him last until the very end. The hardest part was when it was his turn to sit down, he said, because he would lose circulation in his legs and get cramps.
The event drew national attention and part of it was filmed by ABC-TV's "Good Morning America."
About 150 people initially entered the contest but a drawing narrowed that down to the 20 people who competed.
Anne Hudson, an on-air personality for the radio station, said she was not surprised that seven people lasted the full 50 hours.
"They were determined," she said.
- ‘Garbage Gazette violates FR’ BASL to seek Supreme Court ruling 3545
- Damning EU report puts GSP in doubt 3558
- I could’ve gone blind if not for Arjuna – Prof. Ariyaratne 3471
- CPC walks out en masse tomorrow Huge Opposition to Trinco Oil Tank Agreement 3474
- President arrogates powers Ultra Vires 3481
- Anti-smoking measures flop 3461
- Anti-garbage ‘mafia’ exposed 2586
- Over 200,000 expected 2367
- JVP condemns gazette notification 2353
- President’s Gazette Violates Rights – CRPS 2427
- Canberra toughens process 2354
- Police deployed to crush protests 2351
- 19 sailors barred from leaving Sri Lanka 2525
- SL maid arrested seven years later 2360
- President’s Proposals on SAITM Contradictory 2366
- Seeking sustainable development in neoliberalism 2638
- A time of gifts Settling down at Oxford 2277
- Enactment of legislation Protecting armed forces 2227
- Butterflies in my stomach 2210
- Army deserters and gun culture 2887
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE 2893
- Super U-19 Provincial L/O Cricket Ten Provincial Teams to participate 2190
- Sri Lanka U-19 tour to Australia Fifth Youth ODI Match today 2187
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Division II Inter Schools (Two Day Knock-out) Tournament Exchanges even at Maggona 2189
- Tintu, Nimali and Gayanthika to battle for 800m honours 2191
- Djokovic looking for answers after loss in Monte Carlo 2189
- Young tells United to aim high 2190
- Bekele star attraction in London with Royal touch 2190
- Windies revival frustrates Pakistan 2189
- Asian Games in Indonesia to feature 39 sports 2214
- N’Eliya Badminton C’ship from 29 April 2207
- Want Govt to Degazette wilpattu forests 3987
- Muslims rage over Mannar land 3994
- Rajitha and Naveen at cross purposes 3987
- John and Rose clash over ATDA 3989
- Betwixt political trash and mounting garbage 3987
- Jumbo killing Wildlife disaster 3985
- Sri Lanka’s loss – Australia’s gain 3090
- No garbage piles or slides then 2204
- Meethotamulla tragedy Govt accused of soft–pedalling disaster 3024
- New Constitution A lull in activities? 2248
- Ministry of Megapolis responsible for Meethotamulla TRAGEDY 2197
- Garbage crisis has reached epic proportions 2195
- MR confident of ousting govt next year – Dinesh 2879
- Marikkar pours scorn on Govt, Rajapaksas 3240
- Mahinda Rajapaksa never left the fray – MR 2863
- Solution to problems is removal of Capitalist economy 2672
- Microsoft rallies finance leaders to embrace future 2593
- SLIM elects Elangovan Karthik as new President 2595
- ikman.lk revamps ‘ikman Deals’ with new features 2592
- JWT Sri Lanka expands with ‘Fortune’ 2594
- Hirdaramani tops JASTECA awards list for 2nd year 2590
- Forbes and Walker Tea Awards 2016 Hayleys Plantations bags 20 awards 2592
- CAB Interbank Quiz to be held on 29 April 2591
- DFCC Bank new branches in Ambalantota and Wattegama 2592
- BOC Swashakthi Loans to empower entrepreneurs 2594
- SLI launches islandwide campaign 2589
- Pan Asia opens 83rd branch in Dankotuwa 2590
- Colombo City CENTRE BRINGS A CITY WITHIN A CITY 2595
- LAUGFS Car Care opens 11th Centre in Kalagedihena 2592
- Seeking sustainable development in neoliberalism 2589
- Towards the US$ 50B export target 2600
- The New Constitution Creating divisions for democracy 1721
- What is Good Governance? 1617
- Trump pushed into bombing Syria 1860
- Stallion heralds New Year 3459
- The House that Love Built 3469
- The challenges of self-representation 3455
- Solidarity Award for Prasanna Vithanage 3455
- History of Cinema 3452
- Trans national Cinematic Musical Discourse 3214
- An American Girl in a Sri Lankan World- a day of unlikely adventure 3284
- Thomas hardy – poet of time 3220
- Beware of touchy feeling! 833
- Dazzling stars illuminated 826
- G O O D L I F E D i a r i e s 830
- Cuba 823
- Science experiments A parachute 831
- ENJOY WAFFLES TO YOUR HART'S CONTENT 833
- Uniting through music 1414
- Yunho 1413
- A more complex first encounter 1419
- Hilariously delightful 1415
- Games that aren’t games 1418
- A colourful blend of young musicians 1423