I would speed across the country
By Darshani Abeyrathna
Amilani Perera gives rise to a line of garments that mixes elegance with beauty. She also has proved that when the mind is free to discover and unleash its creativity, it will bring you stunning results. Fashion is something she does, and yes has completely become a part of herself and her personality. It also doesn't really feel like her job either: it's more like her dream come true.
Q. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
A. I'm a graduate from La Salle College of the Arts in Singapore. I started my career at Sri Lanka s leading global garment manufacturer MAS Holdings for the amanté lingerie brand. Thereafter I was employed as a design consultant for "Arvind Life Style Brands", Bangalore, India.
Q. How and why did you start your brand?
A.While I was working at MAS holdings I decided to launch my brand and decided to apply for Colombo Fashion week. And once I got selected the rest was history.
Q. When did you decide you wanted to become a designer?
A.Since I was 14 years old I always wanted to become a designer. I even did drawing art as a subject just because I wanted to become a designer
Q. Can you describe your personal style?
A.It's a mix of vintage glam meeting street style
Q. What is unique about your brand?
A.The brand is dedicated to completely for vegan fashion. All raw materials used are 100% animal cruelty free
Q. How do you stay up to date with fashion?
A.I use trend forecasting websites such as WGSN.
Q. Are you self taught or did you study fashion design?
A.I studied fashion design at Lasalle College of the Arts in Singapore
Q. What is the biggest lesson that you have learned since you started your brand?
A.It's the joinery that counts
Q. If you were anything but a human, what would it be and why?
A.I would be an eagle because I'll be able to travel and will have the greatest sights ever.
Q. Would you like to share any dream or cherished moment of your childhood?
A.The day I got my first gold medal from the Japan art exhibition "Nippon" for one of my paintings
Q. If you could paint the world into one colour, what colour would you choose and why?
The textures are shown best in the purest form of white and that's what I would want to see in textures.
Q. What are your hobbies and interests?
A.Travelling and painting
Q. What's exciting to you about the fashion industry?
A.The most exciting thing currently for me in the fashion industry is the launch of my midsummer collection in New York at the US - LANKA fashion week in June.
Q. How do you think the fashion industry can improve?
A.Sri Lanka fashion industry need to engage more with overseas and trade in with trade shows to engage more with the designers.
Q. What is your definition of Happiness?
A.Being loved is my kind of happiness.
Q. If there were no rules in your life for a day, what would you do?
A. I would speed across the country.
- Police media spokesman quits 2775
- IUSF Convener remanded 2750
- Reserves Grow To $ 7B 2750
- US, EU Growth To Aid Exports 2753
- Govt’s response ‘most brutal’ says MR 2863
- Heavy showers as SW Monsoon Breaks 2758
- IMF’s 3rd tranche in July 2741
- Former Govts Racketed in Bonds 3075
- Automatic pricing mechanisms for CEB, CPC 2767
- Hard landing for SriLankan Board? 2772
- Ravi K behind stink in alcohol industry – Anura Kumara 2911
- VAC says Aloysius dodging taxes 2754
- Won’t dump garbage in Meethotamulla 2740
- CB Governor Lowers Growth Forecast 2802
- Prado Imports for Ministers, MPs …Rs 3,000 Million lost in Taxes – PAC 2749
- Interviews completed 2734
- Gang of four busted 2746
- Malaysia First Lady in flood donation 2731
- Monks with a heart for the country 2747
- Batticaloa declared mine risk free 2728
- NFTH for dengue treatment 2880
- SLFP hits out at student protesters 2732
- Three parties petition HRCSL 2732
- NBRO kept in the dark – Yapa 2726
- GMOA slams Rajitha 2738
- June brides smell fresh! 2339
- Longest serving royal consort 2344
- In praise of idleness 2341
- A Sri Lankan perspective Right to self determination 2410
- Sri Lanka Crisis and foresight 2792
- Sri Lanka to gear up for IRONMAN triathlon 2388
- Muroya soars to double repeat in Japan 2339
- Red Bull Campus Cricket returns 2381
- Verstappen dominate opening practice 2334
- Etisalat snaps-up Marija, Srinath 2339
- Pregnant 'Wonder Woman' Montano takes more baby steps 2337
- Dharmaraja win by an innings 2334
- ‘Shakspeare Shield’ Golf on 2 July 2340
- Three schools teams win 2334
- Our team is well educated says Rodrigo 2357
- Making a case for coconut oil 3115
- Wahhabism: The curse of Islam and Sri Lankan Muslims 3014
- Sri Lanka’s child marriage law Wounded victims 1999
- Appreciation Tribute to Dr. Asoka Thenabadu on his first death anniversary 2159
- Voyage of Rediscovery 2147
- Lanka ranked global 5th in marine pollution– GENERAL MANAGER OF THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY DR. TERNEY PRADEEP KUMARA 3277
- NGO funded ‘traitors’ don’t want peace in Sri Lanka – Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe 4593
- Wigneswaran and Copose no threat to the State 4101
- Move to oust Wigneswaran 3060
- ETCA is being played very badly politically – Prof. Razeen sally 2818
- Prostate cancer blood test ‘helps target treatment’ 2343
- Two Britons arrested over Microsoft hack 2340
- Parkinson’s disease ‘may start in gut’ 2340
- Measuring muscle gap ‘helps players back on their feet’ 2335
- Cardiologist: Breast implants skew heart attack test 2334
- Green light for UK driverless car road trials 2334
- Sega debuts free classic games on mobiles 2336
- WhatsApp rises as a major force in news media 2344
- HS2 franchise: Bidder shortlist revealed 2337
- Wimbledon champion Boris Becker declared bankrupt 2346
- A time of gifts Beginning of my second year 2336
- Enlightening the younger generation 2669
- India needs to re-calibrate relations with Sri Lanka 3523
- The Brains behind Royal and Regal 1474
- Way to go France 1468
- In commemoration of late President Ranasinghe Premadasa’s 93rd birth Anniversary (23.06.2017) AN ODE 1644
- Soul Searching with Yoga Om to you on International Yoga Day 1625
- Highend Collecting 1614
- Bound Angle pose Baddha Konasana 1747
- The Christlike Life of Lahiri Mahasaya 1800
- Planets located in the 1st House and their effects 1808
- TRANSIT IN EMPLOYMENT 2 1724
- Birth Nakshatra says what you are – Part 3 1749
- Pickpockets! 3624
- Haunted House 3567
- Violin recital 3590
- Banku Weeraya 3550
- Letters to a Young Novelist 3595
- Indexicality in Cinema 3564
- Folk and semi classical vocal performance 3584
- Bharatnayam Recital 4528
- Early detection saves life 1215
- The predicament of the dead fish 2791
- Spectacular art extravaganza 2653
- Guatemala 2623
- History of astrology 2588
- Design redefined 2600
- Lankans vie for victory at Cannes 1366
- The mummy’s back 1403
- Understanding jump-scares 1362
- Gaming in the big leagues Registrations are now open 1406
- Helping flood affected schools 1381
- Mark 972