I would speed across the country
By Darshani Abeyrathna
Amilani Perera gives rise to a line of garments that mixes elegance with beauty. She also has proved that when the mind is free to discover and unleash its creativity, it will bring you stunning results. Fashion is something she does, and yes has completely become a part of herself and her personality. It also doesn't really feel like her job either: it's more like her dream come true.
Q. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
A. I'm a graduate from La Salle College of the Arts in Singapore. I started my career at Sri Lanka s leading global garment manufacturer MAS Holdings for the amanté lingerie brand. Thereafter I was employed as a design consultant for "Arvind Life Style Brands", Bangalore, India.
Q. How and why did you start your brand?
A.While I was working at MAS holdings I decided to launch my brand and decided to apply for Colombo Fashion week. And once I got selected the rest was history.
Q. When did you decide you wanted to become a designer?
A.Since I was 14 years old I always wanted to become a designer. I even did drawing art as a subject just because I wanted to become a designer
Q. Can you describe your personal style?
A.It's a mix of vintage glam meeting street style
Q. What is unique about your brand?
A.The brand is dedicated to completely for vegan fashion. All raw materials used are 100% animal cruelty free
Q. How do you stay up to date with fashion?
A.I use trend forecasting websites such as WGSN.
Q. Are you self taught or did you study fashion design?
A.I studied fashion design at Lasalle College of the Arts in Singapore
Q. What is the biggest lesson that you have learned since you started your brand?
A.It's the joinery that counts
Q. If you were anything but a human, what would it be and why?
A.I would be an eagle because I'll be able to travel and will have the greatest sights ever.
Q. Would you like to share any dream or cherished moment of your childhood?
A.The day I got my first gold medal from the Japan art exhibition "Nippon" for one of my paintings
Q. If you could paint the world into one colour, what colour would you choose and why?
The textures are shown best in the purest form of white and that's what I would want to see in textures.
Q. What are your hobbies and interests?
A.Travelling and painting
Q. What's exciting to you about the fashion industry?
A.The most exciting thing currently for me in the fashion industry is the launch of my midsummer collection in New York at the US - LANKA fashion week in June.
Q. How do you think the fashion industry can improve?
A.Sri Lanka fashion industry need to engage more with overseas and trade in with trade shows to engage more with the designers.
Q. What is your definition of Happiness?
A.Being loved is my kind of happiness.
Q. If there were no rules in your life for a day, what would you do?
A. I would speed across the country.
Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA
- The Space Trump Fills in America’s Racial Politics 2995
- NEEDS BALANCING ACT BETWEEN INDIA, CHINA AND THE WORLD LANKA IN PHASE FOUR of HER FOREIGN POLICY 2907
- Landmines still a threat in Muhamalai Resettlement programme hampered 2256
- Ivan damns politicians No concern for the masses 2260
- Renowned Moulavi passes away 2266
- PM promises development of East and more jobs 2255
- Voters List 2017, registrations open till 6 September Registrations have dropped by 50% - Deshapriya 2254
- Binoy Surendra passes away 2255
- Liz Broderick at ASLA Networking Event:Gender diverse workforce leads to better performance 2251
- BIA customs peg smuggler with Rs 1.2M gold jewellery Released on penalty of Rs 100,000 2260
- Wastewater in Sigiriya Moat, alarm a canard – CCF 2248
- Granting a 10% bonus data on Internet Packages All Telco Operators agree 2253
- MPs get laptops 2246
- With view to finding solution Prez to chair discussion on SAITM 2250
- Stock Market in 127 Day Low Losses Increase To Rs 141B 2248
- Completion of six road projects Kiriella seeks Rs 53 B 2250
- Retain AG’s surcharge powers – TISL 2246
- Nuwara Eliya to get more local councils 2251
- NCP green light for draft 20A 2245
- PC Polls (Amendment) Bill SC gives go ahead 2251
- Local Government Act All inconsistent amendments will be removed – PM 2247
- National Payment Platform Govt admits ICTA released misleading info 2253
- Vithya murder case Magistrate directs CID to probe Senathirajah Ex-SDIG further remanded 2441
- India’s SC bans Islamic instant divorce 2244
- Tense situ at Kataragama Devalaya Nilame and shamans fight over keys 2249
- Sri Lankans react to Game of Thrones spoilers 2944
- No-Confidence Motions Galore 3173
- The march of folly Better service through local empowerment 2833
- Therapeutic properties of mangoes 2351
- New trio to handle middle-path foreign policy, friendship with all 2892
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-17 Division I Cricket St. Servatius meet Nalanda in semis 2252
- Sports is important for every child 2937
- John Keells in exciting win 2251
- National level Mercantile eSports Virtusa defends championship title 2251
- Army Blind Cricketers Win ‘Dilmah’ Trophy 2251
- Trinity juniors on winning spree 2250
- Rooney landmark 200th goal a ‘sweet moment’ 2247
- Klopp feels heat as Liverpool eye group phase 2245
- Booing ‘hurt’ sprint champion Gatlin 2880
- Gayle, Samuels to fly in for ODI series with England 2740
- Computerized Court systems 2796
- Wear and tear of joints at a glance 2692
- The quest for peace:Let us not ignore crime’s impact 2388
- Sri Lanka’s Hambantota Gambit 2696
- Mother and son die in electrocution horror 2696
- media sensationalizing Crime in Jaffna – Reginold Cooray 2218
- I believe that the current minister of justice must resign – Ashu 2712
- Students won’t give up till demands met – Lahiru 3803
- Referendum needed to postpone polls – Deshapriya 3745
- Proposed crippling countrywide strike TO SAVE ECONOMY, ASSETS, NATURAL RESOURCES– D.J. RAJAKARUNA 2849
- Achieving Food Security: A plausible reality or a pipe dream for Sri Lanka? 2033
- ODEL opens new 10,000 sq. ft. extension 2033
- Nestomalt Plus with Oats launched 2028
- Mega Lifesciences introduces VITAVITE to Sri Lanka 2026
- STAX sees opportunities for SL companies in Africa 2027
- As rural Sri Lanka dries out, young farmers look for new job options 2029
- Cinnamon hotels and SriLankan reward FlySmiLes members 2022
- Cathay Dragon to modernize and expand fleet 2020
- LIC (Lanka) Ltd’s equal right to life policy 2019
- Hotel Riu Sri Lanka caters to a variety of tastes 2018
- Why did Sri Lanka seek Chinese investments in ports? 2441
- Political administration Adopting a holistic approach 1278
- A time of gifts Staying on 1606
- Power of Candles 1088
- An Artful Raconteuse of Mediocrity- Kanchana Priyakantha 1090
- To Saint Anthony 1086
- Innocence 1084
- An app that supports your healthy living 819
- prelate who promoted Buddhist studies in British era 1871
- Principles underlying planetary combinations Understanding and Interpreting their results 1867
- CAUSE OF DEATH- 2 1855
- How to identify 22nd Derkanadhipati 1833
- Shadow planets transit new Houses 1839
- Cinema of Attraction 3623
- The global and local in Hong Kong cinema 3681
- Pakistani Cinema Had Its Own Way of Looking at Partition Too 3371
- Locarno: Sri Lanka’s Sky Entertainers Presents Lineup at Open Doors Lab 3463
- Fitting Social critique 3939
- Collection of critical essays 3336
- Ven. Olande Anada Thero Encountering Buddhism 3418
- De Lanerolle brothers redefined SL music scene 3330
- Knowledge on the go 1226
- Anxiety: the 21st century pandemic 1383
- Prawn farming – a delicious destruction 1265
- When you hit rock bottom 1290
- Electronic waste – a looming threat 1220
- The humble roti revamped 1229
- A knockout victory 1223
- Sharing a bit of Italian history 1247
- Magic pills and cute emojis 1239
- A decade of victories 1214
- Promising and creepy 1218
- A choral treat 1206