I would speed across the country
By Darshani Abeyrathna
Amilani Perera gives rise to a line of garments that mixes elegance with beauty. She also has proved that when the mind is free to discover and unleash its creativity, it will bring you stunning results. Fashion is something she does, and yes has completely become a part of herself and her personality. It also doesn't really feel like her job either: it's more like her dream come true.
Q. Tell us a little bit about yourself.
A. I'm a graduate from La Salle College of the Arts in Singapore. I started my career at Sri Lanka s leading global garment manufacturer MAS Holdings for the amanté lingerie brand. Thereafter I was employed as a design consultant for "Arvind Life Style Brands", Bangalore, India.
Q. How and why did you start your brand?
A.While I was working at MAS holdings I decided to launch my brand and decided to apply for Colombo Fashion week. And once I got selected the rest was history.
Q. When did you decide you wanted to become a designer?
A.Since I was 14 years old I always wanted to become a designer. I even did drawing art as a subject just because I wanted to become a designer
Q. Can you describe your personal style?
A.It's a mix of vintage glam meeting street style
Q. What is unique about your brand?
A.The brand is dedicated to completely for vegan fashion. All raw materials used are 100% animal cruelty free
Q. How do you stay up to date with fashion?
A.I use trend forecasting websites such as WGSN.
Q. Are you self taught or did you study fashion design?
A.I studied fashion design at Lasalle College of the Arts in Singapore
Q. What is the biggest lesson that you have learned since you started your brand?
A.It's the joinery that counts
Q. If you were anything but a human, what would it be and why?
A.I would be an eagle because I'll be able to travel and will have the greatest sights ever.
Q. Would you like to share any dream or cherished moment of your childhood?
A.The day I got my first gold medal from the Japan art exhibition "Nippon" for one of my paintings
Q. If you could paint the world into one colour, what colour would you choose and why?
The textures are shown best in the purest form of white and that's what I would want to see in textures.
Q. What are your hobbies and interests?
A.Travelling and painting
Q. What's exciting to you about the fashion industry?
A.The most exciting thing currently for me in the fashion industry is the launch of my midsummer collection in New York at the US - LANKA fashion week in June.
Q. How do you think the fashion industry can improve?
A.Sri Lanka fashion industry need to engage more with overseas and trade in with trade shows to engage more with the designers.
Q. What is your definition of Happiness?
A.Being loved is my kind of happiness.
Q. If there were no rules in your life for a day, what would you do?
A. I would speed across the country.
- Death of Jacintha Peiris
- Renovation work on golden canopy begins
- Poverty down to 4.1% But highest in the North
- MR to preside at SLPP rallies
- Prelates decrying new Constitution Govt to blame says Mano
- New office to assist Uma Oya affected
- Importance of Tourism stressed Dengue threat lgnored
- Indian soldier revisits a brutal battlefield
- Large crowd at Berlin Katina Pooja
- PC polls campaigns Nimal, John lead SLFP team
- ‘Savisthri’ report handed over to Sampanthan
- Nimal warns Railway unions Strict action against strikers
- Attack on Rohingya refugee shelter Police trap monk in Nittambuwa
- Call to extend PCoI term VAC wants to unmask 20 UNPers
- K’Nochchi poorest, at Rs 28,483 Household expenses increase to Rs 62,237 pm Rich spend Rs 158,072 pm per household
- Don’t be misled on new Constitution – President
- PM presents economic policy to Parliament Govt targets private sector involvement
- One Final Offer From the EU to the UK
- Anti-Dumping Bill Gazetted Protection for Local Industries
- Tourism Statistics SLTDA disputes CCC
- Smugglers detained at BIA
- SI injured during hooch raid Falls from third floor balcony
- 1070 traffic fatalities in 2017 121 murders during same period - Police
- Rattota Police OIC suspended
- Technical error in Diversity Visa Programme DV-2019 US Embassy says re-register
- Sri Lanka crumble again, 173 All Out
- De Villiers, Hasan Ali move to top of ODI rankings
- Resurgent Zimbabwe face rising West Indies
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Hasintha gets ton
- SLCA shows concern for players’ safety
- WI keep SL to 69 to take 1-0 lead
- Trinitians roar to regain Lanka Lions Rugby Sevens title Dilshan Kelaniyangoda named Player of the Tournament
- Hafeez reported for suspect bowling action
- MAS win swimming crown for seventh year
- Kiwis out to tame India's newest spin duo
- Root must 'con' players into Ashes mindset - Vaughan
- Improved Wallabies ready for All Blacks tilt - Hooper
- Waidyathilake quits from ITO officiating
- Troubled Chelsea fight to boost flagging morale
- Pogba on comeback trail for injury-hit Man Utd
- Neymar, Mbappe primed for PSG-Marseille rivalry
- Sadeera’s inclusion will strengthen batting Sri Lanka face uphill task
- Anika into semis in Singapore
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket 15-year-old Pawan scores century
- Sheoran takes Sri Lanka Golf title in thriller
- This simple investment strategy could protect you if the US stock market cracks
- Google’s parent company leads $1 billion investment in Lyft
- Nissan halts production in Japan
- These airline stocks have doubled while rivals go bust
- China's answer to Groupon and Yelp is now worth $30B
- Goldman Sachs Chief Lloyd Blankfein hints at Frankfurt move
- Amazon: More than 100 cities bid for new headquarters
- End of Australia auto-making sector as Holden closes doors
- May pleads for Brexit deal she can sell at home
- Black Monday 1987: ‘Our jaws hit the desk’
- Sustainability a priority for Port City Project
- National Chamber hosts Iranian Ambassador
- Fair demand for Ceylon Tea from Japan, China
- China third quarter growth meets expectations at 6.8%
- The rise of consumerism Thorstein Veblen’s conspicuous consumption now a global phenomenon
- HNB announces seasonal discounts
- Janashakthi takes home Gold at Effie Awards
- Standard Chartered running seasonal promo
- Dialog launches first TIER III Certified Data Centre in Sri Lanka
- CSE to add dollar-denominated board
- Concentrated wisdom Learning from others
- lateral thinking Nation’s guardians celebrate 68th Anniversary
- A Time of Gifts Starting to wind down
- The month of ‘Katina Pinkama’
- OVERWHELMING RESPONSE HUMANITY AT ITS BEST
- Fall of Raqqa
- UN urges B’desh to move Rohingya refugees
- Flu shots are the greatest medical fraud in the history of the world
- Sucking it up
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- No Revenge I want to embrace all those who left us – Basil Rajapaksa
- Large Industrial Zone for Thulhiriya
- Even the PM should be in Prison for the frauds
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Hindustani Violin recital
- Classical rendering of a masterly-crafted musical
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead