Defines unique structure and global agenda
Swim Week Colombo 2018, presented by OLU Tropical Water, will showcase latest swimwear collections of eleven progressive Sri Lankan designers and three international designers.
As demonstrated in its previous editions, Swim Week Colombo is the foremost platform for swimwear designers in Sri Lanka as well as the region and brings together some of the leading minds in the fine art of swimwear the world over. Swim Week Colombo 2018 will take place from 27 June to 2 July with runway shows on 30 June and 1 July.
Swim Week Colombo was established in 2015 to create a global platform for swimwear and positioning Sri Lanka as the swimwear capital of the world. Sri Lanka is renowned globally for its world-class swimwear manufacturing capabilities, which has engineered and produced swimwear for some of the world's finest swimwear brands. This existing knowledge and expertise, along with Sri Lanka's strategic position as an island with world-famous beaches and holiday attractions, lends itself the potential to become a global swimwear hub.
"Swim Week Colombo is a strategic fashion development project to showcase Sri Lanka as an expert is swimwear, resort and active wear. This year we are adopting a positioning which is close to our heart and creates an ecosystem based on Green Consciousness. This is another level of activities.",Swim Week Colombo Founder, Ajai Vir Singh said.
Swim Week Colombo is attempting to become the world's first eco-ethical fashion week, and branding has been developed as SWIM WEEK COLOMBO, GREEN CONSCIOUS AND EARTH SENSITIVE. To qualify for this status, three pillars of impact have been detailed; Impact on Garment, Impact on Supply Chain and Impact on the environment.
This season, each participating designer needs to implement any one or more of the above impacts to participate. Every Collection will in some way contribute to being Green Conscious and Earth Sensitive.
The Title Partner of Swim Week Colombo, OLU Tropical Water, is recognized as a premier Sri Lankan brand of natural mineral water with the potential to be recognized globally as an international brand.
"OLU Tropical Water is proud to be the Title Partner of Swim Week Colombo once again as principal partner. Swim Week Colombo has established itself as a key event in the Asian Fashion calendar and this year's theme of Green conscious and Earth sensitive is very close to the heart of OLU as a brand as we strive to minimize our impact on the environment." says OLU Tropical Water. CEO, Shalindra Fernando said, "Swim Week Colombo is a technical collaboration with state-of-the-art swimwear manufacturer, Linea Aqua. Through this partnership, Swim Week Colombo hopes to realize its vision to position Sri Lanka as a hub for swimwear design and manufacturing among the global creative class. "We are happy to join this groundbreaking path in Sri Lanka a global swimwear hub, as 'The Journey' is what Linea Aqua takes pride in." says, Linea Aqua CEO, Muditha Ferdinando.
Over the last decade, swimwear has been identified as one of the strongest categories in the global fashion industry, with an estimated worth of more than US$17.6 billion. Although once a status symbol of the elite, high-quality swimwear is now more accessible than ever due to the rise in the number of designers who are branching out to swimwear and the introduction of innovative fabrics and silhouettes that target a wider audience. The rise in beach culture, ease of travel to holiday destinations throughout the year and social media influencers have also lead to the rise of swimwear as a versatile, essential piece of clothing in the wardrobes of discerning fashion consumers.
Hosted by Hilton Colombo, its base for the last few years, GM, Manesh Fernando said "It's been a great partnership that has benefitted all of us throughout the years, which has placed Sri Lanka on the global map as being a must visit destination not only for sun, sea, culture and adventure but for fashion too. Hilton Colombo is also committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility and fully endorse Swim Week Colombo's green initiative."
Nations Trust Bank American Express will be Official Fashion Card of Swim Week Colombo. Swim Week is proud to associate with a card that opens doors to amazing experiences and opportunities not only in Sri Lanka but around the world.
Swim Week Colombo has formed relevant and strategic partnerships with Sri Lanka's leading brands and they all play an important role in pushing the annual event to international level. Jaguar as the Official Automobile Partner, Wine World is the Official Lifestyle Beverage Partner, Ramani Fernando is Official Hair and Make-Up Partner, Leo Burnett Sri Lanka and MSL Group Sri Lanka is the official PR Partner and Emerging Media is the Outdoor Digital Media Partner –all of them extend their support towards the vision and aspirations of Swim Week Colombo
Swim week Colombo 2018 will feature the following segments:
In this edition of Swim Week Colombo, Art Connect will return and feature five of Sri Lanka's most acclaimed artists. The artists selected for the exhibition are Mahen Perera, Bandu Manamperi, Vajira Gunawardena, Chathurika Jayani Ajith and Susantha.
Fashion and Food
As with the previous seasons, Swim Week Colombo will see leading restaurants in Colombo curate limited edition menus to provide attendees with an unparalleled gastronomical experience exclusively during the fashion week from 27 June to 2 July.
Fashion and Food will encourage the participation of an entire spectrum of premium tastemakers which will create special events during Swim Week. 'Rare at Uga Residence' will host the launch of Swim Week. 'We love fashion' will be held at The Love Bar at Flamingo House while 'Meet at the Lab' will be held at The Hilton Lobby bar. Café Français by Pourcel, will be the venue of the after party.
This inclusion will create an expression that transcends the runway, making Summer a celebration of immaculate style and taste.
This segment, on 30 June and 1 July, aims to encourage the active collaboration of the two creative streams of fashion and film, producing interesting and innovative interpretations. Last season's winner 'You're My Favourite' returns for another season along with Jason of IFilms, along with new directors Kavindu, Ihshan Iqbal and Reza Akram.
Trend Swim Seminar
Trend Swim is a panel discussion, on important and trending news on the industry, which will take place on the morning of 1 July at the Hilton Blue. The panel will comprise three to four leaders in the field and will be moderated by Mihirini de Zoysa. Topics for discussion include 'Global Swimwear - Future direction, trends and consumer behaviour', 'Good and Sustainable Fashion: Building an earth-conscious future, sustainability practices and 'Textile Forum' - Fabric technology, innovations in process and product". Last year's edition of Trend Swim was praised for the valuable insight brought by the panel discussions. This year's edition is expected to be just as acclaimed.
Trend Swim Exhibit
Sri Lanka is renowned world-wide for its state-of-the-art manufacturing strength in swimwear. The presentation on 1 July, will showcase the capability of manufacturers and open a window into the work that goes into turning out a designer masterpiece.
To round up the week with a finale to these events, the SWC will conclude with a spectacular themed after party at the Café Français
- International Conventions and Debasement of Legislative Process Part II
- Developing education sector Will take tough decisions – Akila Viraj
- Guangzhou looking for investment opportunities – Tu Hongze
- Three women go missing in Orugodawatte
- Awareness on violence against women Mahela and Kumar address students
- Foreign Secretary’s visit to Sri Lanka Pakistan commits to stronger ties
- Sashi to take Ranjan to Court
- allegedly defrauded more than Rs 100mn Employment fraudster remanded
- Save our whales Regulate whale watching boats
- Foreign Fishing Vessels Act presented to Cabinet
- Jaffna Uni students on hunger strike
- PCoI concludes Treasury Bonds probe Steve Samuels becomes emotional during questioning
- SL’s debt repayment to double to US$ 4.2B in 2019
- Welikada prison riot AG’s dept instructed to conclude probe Comprehensive report called for by 6 December
- Anika flees amidst threats SG Kodagoda seeks protective custody for family
- Govt seeks Rs 25 B thro’ supplementary estimate To meet shortfall of expenses and provisions
- Treasury Bonds scandal:PCoI sends questions to PM
- Managing the US-Thailand Alliance in the Trump Era
- Don’t play games with youth
- Call to provide DF vehicles for migrant workers
- SAITM Controversy:BASL will inform GMOA on stance Dr. Aluthge
- Implementation of Research Programme SL and India sign 2nd PoC
- Pakistan’s Foreign Secretary to visit SL
- NBRO warns of floods if rains continue
- Veteran TULF politician Soosaithasan’s funeral today
- SL out to save series Batsmen aren’t fulfilling their responsibilities - Managers and Coach Kapugedera likely to play today
- Gunathilaka’s ban revised - SLC Ex-Co
- Sadeera to be included in ODI team
- 130 SRI LANKA AMATEUR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP 2017 at NUWARA ELIYA Chalitha Pushpika topples indian top seed Sri Lanka 3 out of 4 in SEMI-FINAL
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket Kamindu Mendis scores third ton
- Royal regain E.F.C. Pereira Challenge Trophy
- DSI Supersport Schools Volleyball Championship 2017 Finals just around the corner
- All Blacks coach backs Sonny Bill Williams
- Inter-School eSports Championship 2017 Gateway College crowned Champions
- West Indies women complete whitewash
- Mahrez snatches draw for struggling Leicester
- Police renew Stokes incident witness appeal
- CMCC 145th Anniversary Cosmos Hockey Club Melbourne joins celebrations
- Pakistan confident Sri Lanka will come
- Pakistan struggling
- Top seeds through to 2nd round
- Dialog Champions League Navy SC face Negombo SC today
- Cane inks long-term deal with All Blacks
- NZ Rugby to assist SL Rugby
- Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket 22 wickets fall in one day
- PM postpones ForEx Act implementation
- Nahil transfers East West shares to Wijesuriya children
- National Trade Information Portal to come next July
- Budget 2018 should continue fiscal consolidation IMF
- Trade deficit widens to US$ 6.2B Exports hit US$ 1B mark for the second month
- CBSL unable to control GoSL’s T-Bill borrowing costs WAYs Rise For 3rd Time
- Shares hit new one-week low
- Reversing Brexit would boost economy, says OECD
- Stocks in Asia climb dollar edges up; copper holds onto gains
- Leo Burnett wins Agency of the Year at Effie Awards
- Weekly Government Securities Market
- Narrowband Internet of Things (NB-IoT) technology
- HSBC Sri Lanka’s Best Consumer Digital Bank - Global Finance
- NDB Wealth encourages savings on Deepavali
- ICCSL to hold trade finance seminar
- Multilac triumphs at Export Awards 2017
- Artificial intelligence ideal for populous Asia Oracle says AI will boost Asia’s business capabilities Urges Asian companies to adopt enterprise-wide data strategy
- Professor H. A. de S. Gunasekera Memorial Oration 2017
- Mobile penetration rockets to 126% in SL
- ARC Awards in Tokyo Ceylinco Life 2016 Annual Report wins 3 awards
- A frightening future for Sri Lankans
- Government lethargy in protecting our forces
- Where is Sri Lanka heading?
- Securing Sri Lanka’s maritime boundaries:Russian Gepard 5.1 Class Frigates
- Sri Lanka and International Conventions - Part 1 Debasement of our legislative process
- Flu shots are the greatest medical fraud in the history of the world
- Sucking it up
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- Beware of drones!
- Anti-SAITM protests a political gimmick?
- Even the PM should be in Prison for the frauds
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- Federalism is the antithesis of separatism Wiggy
- Kiriella has no right to ask me not to speak-Handunnetti
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- An Aspirant to the Throne of Hearts-Virajini Thennekoon
- The latest addition to the Galle Hospitality industry
- Best Hikes in Sri Lanka
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo?
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Hindustani Violin recital
- Classical rendering of a masterly-crafted musical
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead