Defines unique structure and global agenda
Swim Week Colombo 2018, presented by OLU Tropical Water, will showcase latest swimwear collections of eleven progressive Sri Lankan designers and three international designers.
As demonstrated in its previous editions, Swim Week Colombo is the foremost platform for swimwear designers in Sri Lanka as well as the region and brings together some of the leading minds in the fine art of swimwear the world over. Swim Week Colombo 2018 will take place from 27 June to 2 July with runway shows on 30 June and 1 July.
Swim Week Colombo was established in 2015 to create a global platform for swimwear and positioning Sri Lanka as the swimwear capital of the world. Sri Lanka is renowned globally for its world-class swimwear manufacturing capabilities, which has engineered and produced swimwear for some of the world's finest swimwear brands. This existing knowledge and expertise, along with Sri Lanka's strategic position as an island with world-famous beaches and holiday attractions, lends itself the potential to become a global swimwear hub.
"Swim Week Colombo is a strategic fashion development project to showcase Sri Lanka as an expert is swimwear, resort and active wear. This year we are adopting a positioning which is close to our heart and creates an ecosystem based on Green Consciousness. This is another level of activities.",Swim Week Colombo Founder, Ajai Vir Singh said.
Swim Week Colombo is attempting to become the world's first eco-ethical fashion week, and branding has been developed as SWIM WEEK COLOMBO, GREEN CONSCIOUS AND EARTH SENSITIVE. To qualify for this status, three pillars of impact have been detailed; Impact on Garment, Impact on Supply Chain and Impact on the environment.
This season, each participating designer needs to implement any one or more of the above impacts to participate. Every Collection will in some way contribute to being Green Conscious and Earth Sensitive.
The Title Partner of Swim Week Colombo, OLU Tropical Water, is recognized as a premier Sri Lankan brand of natural mineral water with the potential to be recognized globally as an international brand.
"OLU Tropical Water is proud to be the Title Partner of Swim Week Colombo once again as principal partner. Swim Week Colombo has established itself as a key event in the Asian Fashion calendar and this year's theme of Green conscious and Earth sensitive is very close to the heart of OLU as a brand as we strive to minimize our impact on the environment." says OLU Tropical Water. CEO, Shalindra Fernando said, "Swim Week Colombo is a technical collaboration with state-of-the-art swimwear manufacturer, Linea Aqua. Through this partnership, Swim Week Colombo hopes to realize its vision to position Sri Lanka as a hub for swimwear design and manufacturing among the global creative class. "We are happy to join this groundbreaking path in Sri Lanka a global swimwear hub, as 'The Journey' is what Linea Aqua takes pride in." says, Linea Aqua CEO, Muditha Ferdinando.
Over the last decade, swimwear has been identified as one of the strongest categories in the global fashion industry, with an estimated worth of more than US$17.6 billion. Although once a status symbol of the elite, high-quality swimwear is now more accessible than ever due to the rise in the number of designers who are branching out to swimwear and the introduction of innovative fabrics and silhouettes that target a wider audience. The rise in beach culture, ease of travel to holiday destinations throughout the year and social media influencers have also lead to the rise of swimwear as a versatile, essential piece of clothing in the wardrobes of discerning fashion consumers.
Hosted by Hilton Colombo, its base for the last few years, GM, Manesh Fernando said "It's been a great partnership that has benefitted all of us throughout the years, which has placed Sri Lanka on the global map as being a must visit destination not only for sun, sea, culture and adventure but for fashion too. Hilton Colombo is also committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility and fully endorse Swim Week Colombo's green initiative."
Nations Trust Bank American Express will be Official Fashion Card of Swim Week Colombo. Swim Week is proud to associate with a card that opens doors to amazing experiences and opportunities not only in Sri Lanka but around the world.
Swim Week Colombo has formed relevant and strategic partnerships with Sri Lanka's leading brands and they all play an important role in pushing the annual event to international level. Jaguar as the Official Automobile Partner, Wine World is the Official Lifestyle Beverage Partner, Ramani Fernando is Official Hair and Make-Up Partner, Leo Burnett Sri Lanka and MSL Group Sri Lanka is the official PR Partner and Emerging Media is the Outdoor Digital Media Partner –all of them extend their support towards the vision and aspirations of Swim Week Colombo
Swim week Colombo 2018 will feature the following segments:
In this edition of Swim Week Colombo, Art Connect will return and feature five of Sri Lanka's most acclaimed artists. The artists selected for the exhibition are Mahen Perera, Bandu Manamperi, Vajira Gunawardena, Chathurika Jayani Ajith and Susantha.
Fashion and Food
As with the previous seasons, Swim Week Colombo will see leading restaurants in Colombo curate limited edition menus to provide attendees with an unparalleled gastronomical experience exclusively during the fashion week from 27 June to 2 July.
Fashion and Food will encourage the participation of an entire spectrum of premium tastemakers which will create special events during Swim Week. 'Rare at Uga Residence' will host the launch of Swim Week. 'We love fashion' will be held at The Love Bar at Flamingo House while 'Meet at the Lab' will be held at The Hilton Lobby bar. Café Français by Pourcel, will be the venue of the after party.
This inclusion will create an expression that transcends the runway, making Summer a celebration of immaculate style and taste.
This segment, on 30 June and 1 July, aims to encourage the active collaboration of the two creative streams of fashion and film, producing interesting and innovative interpretations. Last season's winner 'You're My Favourite' returns for another season along with Jason of IFilms, along with new directors Kavindu, Ihshan Iqbal and Reza Akram.
Trend Swim Seminar
Trend Swim is a panel discussion, on important and trending news on the industry, which will take place on the morning of 1 July at the Hilton Blue. The panel will comprise three to four leaders in the field and will be moderated by Mihirini de Zoysa. Topics for discussion include 'Global Swimwear - Future direction, trends and consumer behaviour', 'Good and Sustainable Fashion: Building an earth-conscious future, sustainability practices and 'Textile Forum' - Fabric technology, innovations in process and product". Last year's edition of Trend Swim was praised for the valuable insight brought by the panel discussions. This year's edition is expected to be just as acclaimed.
Trend Swim Exhibit
Sri Lanka is renowned world-wide for its state-of-the-art manufacturing strength in swimwear. The presentation on 1 July, will showcase the capability of manufacturers and open a window into the work that goes into turning out a designer masterpiece.
To round up the week with a finale to these events, the SWC will conclude with a spectacular themed after party at the Café Français
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- Drugs & alcohol abuse in NE Religious reps to address issue
- Pvt hospital regulation Gazette in Feb
- 29 Lankan illegal migrants land at BIA
- NDB makes donation to Yatagara Vidyalaya, Niwithigala
- Path to reconciliation Women play major role - Dr. Udagama
- SL and Norway FOs hold consultations
- Airing SL war documentary HR activist withdraws appeal
- ‘Give the gift of life’ CCS and Katugastota Rotaracters conduct blood donation camp
- Why Pakistan is hyphenating Palestine and Kashmir The rest of the world has long distanced itself from the Islamist struggle in Kashmir – unlike Palestine
- Direct purchase of State vehicles mooted
- Trump-Palestine-Israel-Jerusalem issue SLPPFA to hold public seminar
- SL Navy assists critically ill Iranian sailor
- PEaCE fights child sexual exploitation in tourism Stakeholders discuss responsible business practices
- Cabinet approves PPP for underground Marine Drive extension Connecting Elevated Port Access Road
- Six new Ministry Secys appointed
- LG Elections SLFP hard pressed for suitable candidates – Sudarshini
- Debt ratio 79% of GDP
- Gnanasara thera meets Archbishop
- Renovation of tank in progress
- Jayasena warns errant Wildlife officials Low performance will not be tolerated
- Cost of rupee protection USD 6B depreciation in 5 years
- Lanka in foreign borrowing spree In the backdrop of falling exports
- UNP committed to free and fair polls – Sagala
- Wildlife Minister reveals racket Baby Jumbos sail overseas
- SriLankan TUs have no faith in Mgt Write to MS, Ranil and Cabinet
- SLC looking to re-launch showpiece T20 league
- 3rd Ashes Test Malan’s century lifts England
- Didn’t execute plans well -Samaraweera
- Premier League Inter Club Cricket Six Matches begin today
- CR & FC go out favourites
- CH vs Navy should be a thriller
- 2017 Macau International Kart Grand Prix Sri Lankan Pieris is champion
- Gampaha Peters win twice
- Asian Power-lifting - Masters Category Kandy’s iron man pockets gold
- MCA Inter Academy 30 Over League Rashitha 115 n.o. for Ragama CA
- PRIMA JUNIOR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP Weerasinghe takes clear lead
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Draw in Jaffna
- Fixing claims rock Ashes series
- ‘I broke no rules’ over drugs test - Froome
- LPGA announces record prize money for 2018 campaign
- Man City set to win record
- Sharma blows Sri Lanka away
- MCA Inter Academy 30 Over League CCC CA win in a thriller
- JUNIOR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP 2017 Taniya and Kayla Round 1 Joint Leaders
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Vinura ton helps Mahinda beat Dharmapala
- SEC to mandate dual roles for CEOs & Chairmen
- Alumex to commence EU & Aus exports
- Fiscal Policy Act remains toothless: Governor
- Samantha Rajapaksa gives up all AMW posts
- 'Publish excuses for corporate governance non-compliance'
- Jetwing Symphony IPO oversubscribed
- Shares recover from an 8-month low
- ‘Spot’ In freefall, closes at Rs 153.20/30
- Asian markets lower after Fed hikes interest rates
- SL tech solution BoardPAC enters Australia
- Nimal Perera’s NP capital buys 50% of digital disrupter Arimac for Rs 250M
- SriLankan wins Gold for 3rd straight year
- SLTDA wins e-Swabhimani Award for online licensing
- HNB Assurance wins Gold in Insurance category
- Sense Micro Distributors partners Chinese video surveillance company
- RDB Bank to give relief for coconut cultivation and Industry
- Electro-mobility in Sri Lanka
- Disney - Fox deal a media and entertainment earthquake
- Developing strong ‘people skills’ for success
- Abans to host ‘Christmas Delight’ promo
- LAW OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE Trials by High Court
- Trinity CA on tour to India
- National Prosperity Development Planning and Budgets
- Paradise Gains
- Crossover Season has begun
- Canada’s pivot to China hits a snag
- Brexit: The UK’s four options
- When the heart calls out, on a starry night
- On eve of climate summit Macron reminds Trump of ‘responsibility to history’
- FGM/FGC Victims speak out
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- We want a change in Muslim representation– Hasen Ali
- Railway tracks cheaper than highways
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!