Defines unique structure and global agenda
Swim Week Colombo 2018, presented by OLU Tropical Water, will showcase latest swimwear collections of eleven progressive Sri Lankan designers and three international designers.
As demonstrated in its previous editions, Swim Week Colombo is the foremost platform for swimwear designers in Sri Lanka as well as the region and brings together some of the leading minds in the fine art of swimwear the world over. Swim Week Colombo 2018 will take place from 27 June to 2 July with runway shows on 30 June and 1 July.
Swim Week Colombo was established in 2015 to create a global platform for swimwear and positioning Sri Lanka as the swimwear capital of the world. Sri Lanka is renowned globally for its world-class swimwear manufacturing capabilities, which has engineered and produced swimwear for some of the world's finest swimwear brands. This existing knowledge and expertise, along with Sri Lanka's strategic position as an island with world-famous beaches and holiday attractions, lends itself the potential to become a global swimwear hub.
"Swim Week Colombo is a strategic fashion development project to showcase Sri Lanka as an expert is swimwear, resort and active wear. This year we are adopting a positioning which is close to our heart and creates an ecosystem based on Green Consciousness. This is another level of activities.",Swim Week Colombo Founder, Ajai Vir Singh said.
Swim Week Colombo is attempting to become the world's first eco-ethical fashion week, and branding has been developed as SWIM WEEK COLOMBO, GREEN CONSCIOUS AND EARTH SENSITIVE. To qualify for this status, three pillars of impact have been detailed; Impact on Garment, Impact on Supply Chain and Impact on the environment.
This season, each participating designer needs to implement any one or more of the above impacts to participate. Every Collection will in some way contribute to being Green Conscious and Earth Sensitive.
The Title Partner of Swim Week Colombo, OLU Tropical Water, is recognized as a premier Sri Lankan brand of natural mineral water with the potential to be recognized globally as an international brand.
"OLU Tropical Water is proud to be the Title Partner of Swim Week Colombo once again as principal partner. Swim Week Colombo has established itself as a key event in the Asian Fashion calendar and this year's theme of Green conscious and Earth sensitive is very close to the heart of OLU as a brand as we strive to minimize our impact on the environment." says OLU Tropical Water. CEO, Shalindra Fernando said, "Swim Week Colombo is a technical collaboration with state-of-the-art swimwear manufacturer, Linea Aqua. Through this partnership, Swim Week Colombo hopes to realize its vision to position Sri Lanka as a hub for swimwear design and manufacturing among the global creative class. "We are happy to join this groundbreaking path in Sri Lanka a global swimwear hub, as 'The Journey' is what Linea Aqua takes pride in." says, Linea Aqua CEO, Muditha Ferdinando.
Over the last decade, swimwear has been identified as one of the strongest categories in the global fashion industry, with an estimated worth of more than US$17.6 billion. Although once a status symbol of the elite, high-quality swimwear is now more accessible than ever due to the rise in the number of designers who are branching out to swimwear and the introduction of innovative fabrics and silhouettes that target a wider audience. The rise in beach culture, ease of travel to holiday destinations throughout the year and social media influencers have also lead to the rise of swimwear as a versatile, essential piece of clothing in the wardrobes of discerning fashion consumers.
Hosted by Hilton Colombo, its base for the last few years, GM, Manesh Fernando said "It's been a great partnership that has benefitted all of us throughout the years, which has placed Sri Lanka on the global map as being a must visit destination not only for sun, sea, culture and adventure but for fashion too. Hilton Colombo is also committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility and fully endorse Swim Week Colombo's green initiative."
Nations Trust Bank American Express will be Official Fashion Card of Swim Week Colombo. Swim Week is proud to associate with a card that opens doors to amazing experiences and opportunities not only in Sri Lanka but around the world.
Swim Week Colombo has formed relevant and strategic partnerships with Sri Lanka's leading brands and they all play an important role in pushing the annual event to international level. Jaguar as the Official Automobile Partner, Wine World is the Official Lifestyle Beverage Partner, Ramani Fernando is Official Hair and Make-Up Partner, Leo Burnett Sri Lanka and MSL Group Sri Lanka is the official PR Partner and Emerging Media is the Outdoor Digital Media Partner –all of them extend their support towards the vision and aspirations of Swim Week Colombo
Swim week Colombo 2018 will feature the following segments:
In this edition of Swim Week Colombo, Art Connect will return and feature five of Sri Lanka's most acclaimed artists. The artists selected for the exhibition are Mahen Perera, Bandu Manamperi, Vajira Gunawardena, Chathurika Jayani Ajith and Susantha.
Fashion and Food
As with the previous seasons, Swim Week Colombo will see leading restaurants in Colombo curate limited edition menus to provide attendees with an unparalleled gastronomical experience exclusively during the fashion week from 27 June to 2 July.
Fashion and Food will encourage the participation of an entire spectrum of premium tastemakers which will create special events during Swim Week. 'Rare at Uga Residence' will host the launch of Swim Week. 'We love fashion' will be held at The Love Bar at Flamingo House while 'Meet at the Lab' will be held at The Hilton Lobby bar. Café Français by Pourcel, will be the venue of the after party.
This inclusion will create an expression that transcends the runway, making Summer a celebration of immaculate style and taste.
This segment, on 30 June and 1 July, aims to encourage the active collaboration of the two creative streams of fashion and film, producing interesting and innovative interpretations. Last season's winner 'You're My Favourite' returns for another season along with Jason of IFilms, along with new directors Kavindu, Ihshan Iqbal and Reza Akram.
Trend Swim Seminar
Trend Swim is a panel discussion, on important and trending news on the industry, which will take place on the morning of 1 July at the Hilton Blue. The panel will comprise three to four leaders in the field and will be moderated by Mihirini de Zoysa. Topics for discussion include 'Global Swimwear - Future direction, trends and consumer behaviour', 'Good and Sustainable Fashion: Building an earth-conscious future, sustainability practices and 'Textile Forum' - Fabric technology, innovations in process and product". Last year's edition of Trend Swim was praised for the valuable insight brought by the panel discussions. This year's edition is expected to be just as acclaimed.
Trend Swim Exhibit
Sri Lanka is renowned world-wide for its state-of-the-art manufacturing strength in swimwear. The presentation on 1 July, will showcase the capability of manufacturers and open a window into the work that goes into turning out a designer masterpiece.
To round up the week with a finale to these events, the SWC will conclude with a spectacular themed after party at the Café Français
- Govt to issue fresh statement 3750
- GMOA threatens another strike 3698
- Rs 40 Bn more needed to correct flaws 4219
- Two more students arrested 3689
- Teachers threaten strike 3698
- Scot stranded in SL begs for help to return home 3698
- Return of Lanka’s boat people 3695
- GHSATD on strike 3684
- Daylight heist in Ragama 3682
- Six million in disaster prone areas 3678
- Details on Parliament vehicles withheld 3700
- Dambulla Rock Temple 3684
- India challenges China’s intentions 3687
- Surviving the Trump problem 3689
- Foreign policy geared to promoting unity –Ravi K 3686
- Strike cripples postal services 3687
- Garbage disposal facility at Puttalam 3678
- Anti-garbage drive in WP 3676
- J-SLPFL offers flood relief 3668
- Tea growers in doldrums after floods 3672
- Government takes a step back on SAITM - Ignore human nature at your peril 3889
- Ampara Muslims celebrate Ramazan on grand scale 3674
- Committee hands in its recommendations 3673
- Govt to stop SAITM enrolment and degree awards 3686
- IUSF claims leaders’ parents threatened 3083
- The march of folly Uses and instruments of disinformation 1943
- TRUMP BREAKS EID TRADITION AT WHITE HOUSE 1949
- Amsterdam – Canals, Bicycles, and Rembrandt 1949
- The Ideal of Islamic Charity 2384
- Eid-Ul-Fitr a Unique Festival Time of Joy for Muslims 2386
- Frank de Boer appointed Crystal Palace manager 3005
- SLC hires Podiatrist from Aussie 3109
- De Villiers to meet with CSA in August to decide future 3008
- Galle CC players yet to be paid 3017
- Samitha seals Bronze in Korea 3008
- Mahela dismisses report about Indian coaching job 3010
- Jayantha follows Ford’s footsteps 4055
- Akash, Taniya, Dhuwarshan, Yannik and Reshan on Top 3010
- Ricciardo wins in Baku 3007
- Coleman downed again as upsets hit trials 3006
- Social media changing our lives 1747
- Correlation between terrorism and Islam Fact or fiction? 1770
- Eid-ul-Fitr A day of thanksgiving to God in all humility 2390
- I regret introducing commercial whale watching – Ranawake 2747
- Beaten but not defeated 2731
- Railway worries and TU action 3782
- TNA jittery over TPC – C.V. Wigneswaran 2248
- TPC with a hidden agendaSeeks to weaken ITAK – Senathirajah 2153
- Lanka ranked global 5th in marine pollution– GENERAL MANAGER OF THE MARINE ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION AUTHORITY DR. TERNEY PRADEEP KUMARA 3585
- NGO funded ‘traitors’ don’t want peace in Sri Lanka – Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe 4659
- Amaranthé Bay wins ‘2017 Certificate of Excellence’ 2612
- Vespa and Aprilia SR 150 launched in Sri Lanka 2613
- The adversity of Trumponomics and Philippines goes 'Blink' 2609
- The need for a ‘Smarter Trade Strategy’ to be discussed 2610
- ThreadSol – Key to accelerating apparel exports 2608
- DR. SAMAN KELEGAMA: A STUPENDOUS CONTRIBUTION TO THE STATE, PRIVATE SECTORS 2641
- Exciting new leasing promo from Commercial Bank and United Motors 2611
- Kanrich Finance receives Carbon Conscious Certificate 2615
- Mastercard expands Labs in Asia Pacific 2613
- Sampath Bank named ‘Most Innovative Bank’ in Sri Lanka 2607
- Holistic social intervention The crying need for waste management 4483
- A time of gifts Beginning of my second year 2359
- Enlightening the younger generation 2692
- Explore what lies under the waves With the Power Ray Drone 1032
- She’s the Man: Review 1027
- Understanding Rheumatoid Arthritis 1292
- Eid-ul-Fitr A day of Love and Compassion 1298
- The Brains behind Royal and Regal 1512
- Try this when people come to you with their problems 3451
- International Yoga Day Celebration 3433
- Females born under Maha Bhagya Yoga 3446
- Latest Findings on Coconut Oil Kills Cancer in Two Days! 3712
- Birth Nakshatra says what you are – Part 4 3424
- Flying with the Flamingos Saga of the survival of the human spirit 3900
- Hindustani Vocal recital 3839
- Flying with Flamingos Literary exploration into protracted conflict 3899
- Battles and Laments 3890
- Six walks in the fictional woods 3848
- Argus-eye Indexical Dimension of Sign-Making 3826
- Pickpockets! 3641
- Haunted House 3584
- Latest lady chef in city 920
- Horton Plains invaded 1042
- Haiti 902
- GERMANY 878
- Invention of coloured crayons for kids 888
- Sri Lankan contingent to take wing 894
- Jinyoung 701
- A colourful night 697
- The story of Madura 789
- Cycling through the island 703
- It’s all about winning 710
- Flying cars soon a reality? 706