Dawn of Collectique
By Uwin Lugoda
With collectibles being all the rage these days, many stores have popped up trying to serve the needs of the collectors.
However Sri Lanka's first ever physical store came up last April. Ever since then Collectique has been the favorite of most collectors here. We were able to get an exclusive interview with the owner and founder of Collectique, Oshan Samaranayake.
Q. Are you a collector yourself?
A. Yes, I am a model car collector. I started collecting in 1997 and went crazy when I started earning in 2006.
Q. How did you get into collecting?
A. I was fascinated with car design and the closest I could get to having all my favorite cars was to collect accurate scale models of them. I specialized in the 1:18 scale. I was attracted to the high end models and I valued quality over quantity.
Also I have been a fan of main stream comic book characters, just like other kids from our era. The 90s saw a pop-culture boom in SL when all TV channels here showed a lot of 1980/90s hit cartoon series from Marvel, DC,Star Comics, Hanna–Barbera, etc.
And I always preferred statues over action figures but was scared to take the plunge as it was an expensive hobby. But I discovered Kotobukiya, who were making affordable statues in PVC, in 2015 and got hooked.
Q. How did you first come up with the idea for Collectique?
A. Well I always believed in being my own boss some day and was trying my luck in various ventures. 99% of them were failures but I learnt a lot from them. In parallel the model car collecting was getting too expensive for me (in 2010) so I decided to sell all the non-Ferraris, and I was shocked to be able to sell all of them in two days! Since then I tried bringing down high quality model cars as a part time business (since I knew there was an appetite for them here) but failed in that too. I was learning business sense the hard way!
The first Comic Con in 2015 took me by surprise and I was excited to expand my Kotobukiya collection. But to my dismay there weren't any vendors and this got me thinking. Later on I got together with two of my friends from school and formed Collectique in October 2016. Our vision was to become a one stop shop for all collectibles, but later we limited the scope to Pop culture and Automotive.
Q. When you started Collectique, what are some of the hurdles you had to jump through since this was the first physical collectible store in Sri Lanka?
A. The Sri Lankan market is tiny and still evolving, we had to face it as well as find good sourcing. A lot of friends and customers helped us along the way! We think big, so there will be a steady flow of hurdles that come our way in future too. We will never forget the people who helped us to come this far!
Q. How have you seen the geek culture grow here?
A. The geek culture has boomed! There has been many Comic Cons and the many Facebook pages dedicated to Geeks. Facebook groups like the Geek Club of Sri Lanka - Collectors page, have helped many vendors to approach the target market. It's a very exciting time for vendors.
Q. What are the highest selling collectibles in your store?
A. Hard question, anything to do with Batman, Wolverine, Deadpool, and Iron man sells. Brands wise, Kotobukiya (Statues), Hot Toys (action figures), XM Studios (statues) sell well.
We got the dealership of NECA (action figures), Prime one studios (Statues), CMC (model cars) and Unique & Limited (Fine art automotive prints) during the past month. We are in discussion with a few more as well. We are very excited about the future. We have created a win win situation. The collectors have accessibility to a lot of international brands at affordable rates.
Q. What are your future plans for Collectique?
A. We are trying to get into manufacturing our very own collectibles. Also we have introduced a membership program and we plan to bring additional value to the members. At the moment customers (non-members) can come to the shop and read comics free of charge. The membership program brings more benefits to the members. Apart from the usual membership discounts, we plan to build a gaming room that grants access to only members and their visitors, social events where the members get to bring their families, access to movie premiers, and maybe overseas trips! The sky is the limit!
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- No consensus on Constitution 2420
- India-US Economic Relations Bounce Back 2416
- Symposium on Islamic and Arabic Studies 2415
- Two-day workshop at Prisons Dept.On Materials Management 2416
- Mere ploys to delay elections, CaFFE cries out! 30% rep for women & having elections on the same day 2415
- Students struggle without teachers in Kalpitiya 2417
- Students in ‘Osari Pota’ row Governor defends CM 2418
- President Sirisena returns 2416
- Girl (15) rescued by cops from nightclub 2422
- Scholarship Exam results out on 5 October 2418
- Obtaining a Driving licence Mental Health certificate required – Dr. Kodagoda 2412
- Interim Report on CA Constituent parties to be consulted – Senathirajah 2414
- Disappearance of 11 Tamil youth Ex-Navy spokesman further remanded 2414
- Halloluwa resigns as CCFC chairman Says too much pressure to do wrong 2412
- In Vitro Fertilization in Govt hospitals soon 2415
- Passing of PC polls Bill BASL & TISL criticize Govt 2411
- Kahawatta killing Ex-Snr DIG Jayasinghe arrested Allegedly concealed evidence 2411
- Third stage of Central Expressway Agreement to be signed this week 2412
- 1.9 Million Affected By Drought – DMC Thousands Of Families Reduced To One Meal A Day – UN Farmer Suicides Increase 2419
- US Counter Measure to China-Pakistan Economic Corridor 3695
- NEW CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMS EXECUTIVE PRESIDENCY: MAIN BONE OF CONTENTION 3771
- Soldier arrested on sexual abuse claim Girl (15) the victim 3725
- Govt trying to pass Constitution in a corrupt manner – Wimal 3678
- Price index for coconuts Action against black marketeers – CCB Chairman 3679
- Call to hike tax on cheap fags Prevent switch by high brand smokers 3674
- The March of Folly Sarath Fonseka as both Good Cop and Bad Cop 2207
- Case of the abused autistic youth No Justice – Just Us Case heard after being stuck in legal backwater for ages 2206
- The Rohingya of Arakan: Homeless and Stateless 2209
- Unitary or united, undivided and indivisible Executive Presidency or Westminster Premier 3111
- Water, a key issue in South Asian Geopolitics Sino-Indian battle over Brahmaputra River 3072
- SLC donates Rs 1.6M for Cricket Umpires office complex 2206
- Sangakkara is still scoring 2208
- Maliyadeva BMC and Army SC win titles 2206
- Galagedara conducts goal keeping course 2206
- MCA 'B' division 50-over League Commercial Credit Finance ‘B’ and MAS Silueta win 2206
- WP South beat Uva 2208
- SL women down Thailand to win plate 2203
- Sri Lanka win Plate for the second time 2199
- SLC using Cricketers as ‘guinea pigs’ – Pramodya 2212
- SL women wrestlers finish pointless 2202
- Night opening of Zoo Crouching Tiger, Open Zoo 1883
- CEB JTUA’s continuous strike A 10% salary hike solves the family conflict 2946
- Interim report of the Steering Committee of CA Deep divisions in political parties 2934
- Enter Arjuna Mahendran! 3841
- Interim report on constitutional reforms Salient features 3090
- We will be intransigent! 1884
- Betel chewing main cause of oral cancer – Dr. Hemantha Amarasinghe 3210
- Lankan lawmakers have a ‘unitary mindset’ -Jayampathy 2807
- No cause to panic that LTTE will raise head again – DEFENCE SECRETARY KAPILA WAIDYARATNE PC 3011
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4144
- Lanka Graphite gets mining licence 1881
- Over $600M FDI in first 6 months 1883
- Working on regulating informal sector – John 1881
- Govt scraps tea blending plans 1881
- Global trade recovery threatened by downside risks: WTO 1883
- On’ally 23% stake sold 1882
- Shares hit new one-week low on foreign sales 1878
- ‘Spot’ goes below Rs 153 Money Printing 0.5% of GDP 1876
- Fitch affirms Abans at ‘BBB+(lka)'; Outlook stable 1878
- Asian stocks pressured by NK tensions, German election 1879
- Executing an Executive order 2800
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2622
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3643
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo? 2538
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2538
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2532
- best workout songs 1873
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1989
- close look at dreaded Sakata Yoga 2602
- Fortune and misfortune depicted in horoscope 2607
- Know the zodiac sign of your partner 2604
- Time to read first letters to toddlers 2584
- Secret Mantra that cures headache 2584
- CIBF and impact of culture on economy 3471
- Classical Chinese Poetry with a modernist face – 2 3465
- Time Never Waits 3479
- Hindi Diwas-2017 Indo-Lanka Hindi Sammelan 3465
- Music for Three 3455
- Handa Eliyata Wedi Tiyanna 3455
- How important pronunciation in foreign language teaching? 3448
- Body of the Text 3123
- Books, glorious books! 1936
- Every little heart deserves the best care 1935
- IN THE NICK OF THE TIME BUT YET.. 1935
- The Sri Lankan who always went places 1923
- The treatment of Diabetic Foot 1936
- Sri Lankans and their right to know 1925
- A Bibliophiles haven 2593
- Bluetooth can give your device security cavities 2607
- Narrative Progression 2597
- Strangers to friends 2591
- Colombo suits up 2606
- True inclusivity in the makeup world 2590