What To Feed A Sick Dog
By Lauren Leonardi.
An upset stomach is never any fun, and it's hard to know what to give your dog to not make things any worse. Here are some suggestions to help your dog feel better.
Sometimes a brief change in diet will upset a dog's stomach. Overindulgence at a festive season, could also produce lethargy, diarrhea, or apparent discomfort. These stomach issues will often resolve themselves fairly quickly. While your dog is on the mend, you may be wondering what to feed a sick dog that will help, rather than upset them further.
Note: If symptoms like diarrhea persist beyond 48 hours, or vomiting for more than 24, get in touch with a vet. If it's just a little case of the over-did-its, try any of these remedies to ease your dog back into wellness and comfort:
Let Your Dog Eat Grass
Let them eat cake! And by cake, we mean grass! Grass is one of those instinctual remedies dogs may go for when they're feeling unwell. Grass may cause a dog to vomit. This is okay (as long as it's not on your favorite rug or, heaven forbid, a pillow).
Let your dog's instincts lead you both. If they want to eat grass when they're not feeling well, if they want to vomit a bit, that may be just what they need to do to feel better. Just make sure to keep them well hydrated. If they vomit more than twice, or persistently eat grass and vomit every time they take a trip outside, call a vet.
Your dog's kibble may be a bit too rich for them when they have an upset stomach. Try some simple boiled shredded chicken with a bit of white rice, or try some mashed pumpkin. Offer small amounts at a time, rather than a full meal. If they appear eager for more, it's a good sign. Their tummy might be on the mend. If they're still dubious, consider a no-salt chicken broth to entice them to eat a bit. Add water to whatever you offer them, as dehydration is the real danger of your average run of the mill upset tummy.
You May Not Have to do Anything
Your nauseated or gassy dog may refuse food. This is not cause for concern in the short term. 24 hours is probably the longest amount of time you should allow to lapse with nothing ingested. 48 hours could be okay if they're drinking water, but not eating solid foods. Anything beyond that, and you should call your vet.
Check for Dehydration
Lift your dog's lips and look at their gums. Gums should be pink and slick. That is, wet in appearance instead of dry. If you're not sure, press on your dog's gums until you see the color change. Remove your finger, and note how long it takes for color to come back. Color should come back immediately.
If it takes a couple of moments, your dog could be dehydrated.
You can also pull at the scruff of their neck, the way a mother animal may lift their young. If the skin snaps back, they should be fine. If it takes a long time for the skin to retract, they could be dehydrated.
How to Prevent and Treat Dehydration
If your dog is showing the above signs of dehydration, it's time to take their condition seriously. Many people offer their dehydrated dogs unflavored Pedialyte, which is a child's electrolyte drink. Even if your dog is drinking water, it sometimes isn't enough and Pedialyte will help replace electrolytes they may have lost from vomiting. Other dog-friendly products like Rebound may also help. If they won't drink it on their own, you may wish to use a feeding syringe (needle-less) to feed them the Pedialyte. Put the syringe into the side of the mouth, between the cheek and gums, and go slowly to prevent your dog from choking or breathing in the liquid.
Be careful, take it slowly, and keep them calm. Really sick dogs sometimes don't have the greatest gag reflex, and aspiration of these liquids can be dangerous.
How much should you give?
A dose to help a dog maintain hydration should be at least 15 ml per pound of body weight per day. This can turn out to be quite a bit of fluid to deliver with a syringe, so you may want to divide the dose into four per day.
You can also simply take your dog to the vet, where they will be able to treat dehydrated dogs by delivering fluids under the skin.
OVER THE COUNTER TREATMENTS FOR UPSET STOMACH IN DOGS
Some pet parents offer their pets human Pepto-bismol or Famotidine (Pepcid) for an upset tummy. These over-the-counter drugs can be safe, if administered minimally, at the proper dose. Be sure to ask your vet what the dosage should be for your dog.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- US Counter Measure to China-Pakistan Economic Corridor 3691
- NEW CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMS EXECUTIVE PRESIDENCY: MAIN BONE OF CONTENTION 3765
- Soldier arrested on sexual abuse claim Girl (15) the victim 3722
- Govt trying to pass Constitution in a corrupt manner – Wimal 3677
- Price index for coconuts Action against black marketeers – CCB Chairman 3677
- Call to hike tax on cheap fags Prevent switch by high brand smokers 3672
- Overseas job market Drop in women recruits – Thalatha 3669
- Two-thirds of Americans oppose strike on NK Majority trust military to handle crisis 3672
- Man held in mobile narco bust Cancer pills sold at Rs 100 each 3679
- Fowl story… a mega egg This Hen has been fouled! 3869
- SWRD Commemoration tomorrow 3656
- SAITM should get priority over Constitution – Premajayantha 3669
- Gag on JMP at Ja-ela Bala Mandala Ravi accused of instigating issue 3667
- Detaining young couples found in Parks HR activists cry foul 4292
- New laws to promote tourism Bid to boost economy – Ranil 3664
- Rumours linking him to Rohingya Rishad complains to CID 3669
- TUs act according to political agendas – Rajitha Govt to take over estate hospitals 3751
- Bite worse than bark Stray dogs & the spread of rabies 3125
- Claiming Defamation of Judiciary BASL requests CJ take action against Ranjan 2627
- Polls to 3 PCs after delimitation 2621
- Construction of US$ 3 billion refinery Sri Lanka in talks with two Chinese firms 2628
- SF personnel in alleged crimes None above the law – Waidyaratne 3504
- Call to expedite reconciliation process President stands firm 2628
- Pitch tampering allegations ICC launches probe Pramodya calls for PCoI 3497
- Modern slavery most prevalent in Africa followed by Asia and Pacific 2823
- Unitary or united, undivided and indivisible Executive Presidency or Westminster Premier 3102
- Water, a key issue in South Asian Geopolitics Sino-Indian battle over Brahmaputra River 3064
- Geneva Resolution Govt. commits ‘hara kiri’ 3145
- Samukka:A Novel by Jayani Pinnawale- Translated by Edmund Jayasuriya 3007
- Govt passes bill,loses MP 3015
- Royal, Visakha clinch waterpolo crowns 3494
- Sri Lanka clinch Plate 3491
- Asian Indoor Athletic and Martial Art Games Lankan grapplers crash out 3431
- SLC seeks support on ICC inquiry 3434
- S. De S. Jayasinghe emerge champions 3425
- Marquez wins Aragon GP 3427
- 43rd National Sports Festival 2017 Janaka and Vidusha best athletes 3465
- India on course to clinch series 3420
- 25th Singer – MCA Premier League 2018 MAS Unichela records 6th win in a row 3419
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under 19 Cricket Innings win for Antonians and Thomians 3418
- CEB JTUA’s continuous strike A 10% salary hike solves the family conflict 2924
- Interim report of the Steering Committee of CA Deep divisions in political parties 2931
- Enter Arjuna Mahendran! 3836
- Interim report on constitutional reforms Salient features 3088
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3265
- Betel chewing main cause of oral cancer – Dr. Hemantha Amarasinghe 3205
- Lankan lawmakers have a ‘unitary mindset’ -Jayampathy 2797
- No cause to panic that LTTE will raise head again – DEFENCE SECRETARY KAPILA WAIDYARATNE PC 3008
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4144
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 3374
- Andhra Pradesh keen on industrial corridor 3401
- US $100M Japanese loan for tea sector 3413
- Glyphosate ban has cut tea production by 20% 3478
- MV registrations down 40% in Aug 3642
- Global development financing short on capital supply 3397
- New Accounting body should not degrade Chartered Accountants - Bathiudeen 3407
- Mark Zuckerberg drops controversial stock plan 3387
- Asia markets close lower on Friday 3390
- World markets themes this week 3388
- Risk free policy environment needed to achieve 100% RE goal 3397
- Executing an Executive order 2798
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2620
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3641
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo? 2536
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2537
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2530
- best workout songs 1872
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1989
- close look at dreaded Sakata Yoga 2600
- Fortune and misfortune depicted in horoscope 2604
- Know the zodiac sign of your partner 2602
- Time to read first letters to toddlers 2582
- Secret Mantra that cures headache 2583
- CIBF and impact of culture on economy 2601
- Classical Chinese Poetry with a modernist face – 2 2596
- Time Never Waits 2607
- Hindi Diwas-2017 Indo-Lanka Hindi Sammelan 2594
- Music for Three 2586
- Handa Eliyata Wedi Tiyanna 2586
- How important pronunciation in foreign language teaching? 2580
- Body of the Text 3123
- Books, glorious books! 1933
- Every little heart deserves the best care 1933
- IN THE NICK OF THE TIME BUT YET.. 1933
- The Sri Lankan who always went places 1923
- The treatment of Diabetic Foot 1934
- Sri Lankans and their right to know 1925
- A Bibliophiles haven 2591
- Bluetooth can give your device security cavities 2605
- Narrative Progression 2596
- Strangers to friends 2590
- Colombo suits up 2603
- True inclusivity in the makeup world 2590