Indian board backs down on Dravid, Zaheer appointments
(AFP) India's cricket board on Saturday made a U-turn on naming former paceman Zaheer Khan and batting great Rahul Dravid as consultants to the national Test team.
The move came only four days after Khan and Dravid were named in the team to assist new coach Ravi Shastri. Just days before India leave for a tour of Sri Lanka, it added to a sense of chaos within Indian cricket's leadership.
Some reports said the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) had forced the pair on Shastri and a Supreme Court-appointed committee overseeing BCCI affairs said the ruling body had overstepped its powers.
The committee confirmed Shastri as head coach but said the "appointments of other consultants will be decided by the committee in consultation with the head coach."
The BCCI has formed yet another panel to decide on the role of Zaheer and Dravid or any other support staff that Shastri wishes to use for overseas tours.
The BCCI said earlier it had picked the coaching staff until the 2019 World Cup, following recommendations made by former Test stars Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman.
However Indian media said the court appointed committee felt the Test greats had gone beyond their brief in appointing Shastri's support staff.
Shastri took over following the dramatic exit of former Test captain Anil Kumble following the breakdown of his relationship with current skipper Virat Kohli.
When they announced Dravid and Khan as batting and bowling consults, the BCCI said in a statement: "We sincerely feel that the new combination will steward the team to number one position in the World Cup."
India's Supreme Court appointed a panel in January to run the affairs of the BCCI and make sure reforms ordered by the court are carried out.
- Long term conciliation in Korea
- Germany and Europe: A New Relationship?
- Key role to strengthen SLFP -Wijewickrama
- Blood donation at SEUSL
- Faizer Mustapha says Muslims must trust SLFP and President
- Construction of Kerawalapitiya LNG Power Plant Political pressure blocks tender award
- One cannot expect failed rebels to become effective administrators MR
- FTA with Singapore Professionals claim Govt misleading public
- Alleged manhandling of principal:CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- 60 arrested in Kataragama mayhem
- Call to roll back FBR rule for female workers Thousands of foreign jobs in limbo - ALFEA
- Alleged manhandling of principal: CM QUITS EDUCATION PORTFOLIO, pending probe
- Senior Journalist Jatila Wellaboda passes away
- Hunt on for missing Police weapon Team flees Jumbo charge during ganja raid
- ‘Gender-based violence on the rise at Pera Uni’
- New Ambassador-Designate of China arrives in SL
- Two SLPPers pledge support to President Sirisena
- Wants Armed Forces out of Jaffna
- Using a dog as live bait to capture Panmure leopard Environmentalists cry foul
- PRESIDENT TO TAKE OVER ECONOMY AFTER LG POLLS
- Only fraction of requested funds sent to NPC last year Lack of funds derails development plans – CM
- US Govt in shutdown
- PCoI report on Bonds issue AG holds back 103 pages
- Alarming Police statistics reveal 3 underage girls raped every day!
- LANKAN LAWS SUFFICIENT ARJUNA MAHENDRAN CAN BE ARRESTED – AG
- Acceptance of new NSFs by NOC NOC Members expect further clarification from IOC
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Cambrians win by an innings
- 92nd National Boxing Championship Army retain men’s title MAS Unichela emerge women’s champs
- Standard Chartered Hong Kong Marathon Madumali finishes 11th with PB
- Man City back on track
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-13 Div.II Cricket St. John’s advance to semis
- Sainz survives dunes to win Dakar Rally
- Nadal survives test, Wozniacki turns on style
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Plate Championship begins today
- Premier League Club Cricket – Tier ‘B’ Panadura SC crush Galle CC
- Buttler serves up series success for England
- Police force a draw
- 58th Senior Nationals Hockey tournament Defence Services clinch titles
- All rounder Thisara saves SL blushes
- Premier League Club Cricket-Tier A NCC win by 10 wickets
- NOCSL Members came out together against current regime Rohan Fernando announces candidacy for presidency
- North and South Korea to compete under one flag
- Financial irregularities of NOCSL exposed in Audit
- HNB Sponsors Millennium Trophy Golf Tournament Dr. Scarth and Niloo Jayathilake clinch top awards
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup Ireland beat Afghanistan
- China, Sri Lanka and the ‘Politics of Investment’ What are the sources and impact of China’s economic leverage?
- Swaps boost liquidity by over 1,000%
- Rocell among Top 20 Sri Lankan Brands
- Bupa Global Insurance to further develop SL operations
- What happens at the World Economic Forum?
- Investigate losses in the CSE, T-Bond issues from 2008-14: Presidential Commission
- IMF has choked Tunisia, and now the people are protesting
- Will we ever be able to trust driverless cars?
- Gateway Graduate School and Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University sign MOU Innovative Aerospace dual enrolment programme outside US
- World markets hammer higher on rising metal prices
- New research puts SL at 89th in ‘Doing Business’ index
- Browns to set up $5M pharma plant
- Norochcholai workers’ lives in danger
- Guidelines allegedly violated
- SriLankan posts highest-ever monthly revenue in December
- Shares gain for the first time in eight days
- India to become fastest growing large economy in 2018: Report
- PUCSL to sue CEB
- Emergency power costs SL Rs 40B
- Tourism earnings up 2.3% Jan-Nov
- Foreign missions’ failure to correct Sri Lanka’s tarnished image Tamil Diaspora vilifications
- Concretes & Abstracts Pitipana Committee and Public Debt
- Achieving true lasting reconciliation
- Dying art of sending postcards
- The Pursuit of Peace Starting at SCOPP
- Vote for women this LG Polls
- Block law’s lacunae Not letting bond thieves go scot-free
- Europe prods homeless with spikes and cold showers
- UN warns of South Sudan’s ‘lost generation’ grinding conflict
- Hazardous multi-plug on the way out
- Participatory citizenship is important - Rosy
- I have a master plan - Salley
- All set for Free and Fair LG Polls – Mahinda Deshapriya
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Forecast your own destiny An astrological guide
- Kala Sarpa Yoga will test sustainability of government
- TIMING OF EVENTS –CHILD BIRTH
- Season for Marriage and Construction
- Cancer Causing Vastu Defects
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Indu & Sanwada We have so much in common
- The Writer’s Kitchenette Vietnamese Fusion Rice Wraps
- ‘Derana Champion’ Shines with OPPO
- A Possible Fallout as US freezes Funds for Palestinian refugees
- Jungle loving President Premadasa
- How Felix Dias became Bandaranaike
- IT IS MY CHOICE
- In your own skin be the barrel you want
- Dear Patriarchy,Dilshani Palugaswewa tells it like it is in this open letter