700,000 Families affected – DMC
By Niranjala Ariyawansha
An estimated 700,000 farmer families have been affected owing to the prevailing drought in 13 districts of the dry zone, the Department of Disaster Management (DMC) warned yesterday.
The country's dry zone has not received any rainfall during the past seven months. In addition to that, a weak North-East monsoon with insufficient rain in October 2016 also contributed to the present situation, officials with the Ministry of Irrigation and Water Management said.
Irrigation Director (Water Management and Training) Wasantha Bandara Palugasweva told Ceylon Today that the water levels in all major reservoirs had declined to 19 per cent.
He said due to this only 50 per cent of paddy fields could be cultivated during the past Yala Season with water from reservoirs and tanks coming under the purview of the Department of Irrigation.
He warned that if the anticipated rainfall fails during the North-East monsoon that is expected in September it could severely affect the cultivations during the Maha Season as well.
"The Irrigation Department owns some 395 reservoirs and tanks both large and medium scale.From that number there are 73 major reservoirs.
From all the reservoirs that come under our control some 1.5 million paddy fields are cultivated throughout the year.
But, due to the drought during the past seven months only 750000 paddy fields had been cultivated," Palugasweva said.
Another 30 per cent of paddy fields are being cultivated through water supplied by reservoirs and tanks owned by the Mahaweli Authority.
According to Palugasweva the drought had mostly affected the North, East, North-Central and Wayamba Provinces.
The main districts involved in paddy cultivation in the dry zone are Ampara, Trincomalee, Vavuniya, Anuradhapura, Polonnaruwa, Kurunegala and Puttalam.
The dry zone usually receives rain from the North-East monsoon that arrives in September.
He also expressed hope that the expected rains would arrive at the very earliest. However, the Department of Meteorology has warned that there will be no rain in the dry zones of the island until October.
- WP North in command 2000
- The US embraces India: With some Modi-fications 2006
- The West on brink of failing in Afghanistan 1998
- Ranil can at least follow Churchill 2629
- Drought halves electricity generation 1997
- Dengue treatment gets shot in the arm 2126
- 53-year-old killed over dispute 1997
- National Cultural Festival – 2017 1999
- SL’s Service Exports up to 38% in 2016 1999
- Mankulam – the new Trade Hub 2001
- GL demands polls to 3 PCs 2003
- No Military activity allowed at H’tota Port 2002
- No accusation against us as serious as that of Ravi – Basil 2000
- Unions call off strike 1997
- H’tota Port deal signing might be postponed 2008
- CEB GM warns of power cuts 2873
- SAITM Dean on NFTH Board – Rajitha 1996
- Prez requests release 1993
- LTTE remains a terrorist org 2000
- Facing a stiff challenge – Harsha 2000
- US slaps sanctions on Russia, Iran, N. Korea 1993
- Mahendran ordered to handover com. devices 1991
- Ravi K fails to appear 1992
- Fiasco has had a negative impact on Govt 2829
- July’s Russia related bloopers and Putin’s manner 4010
- Querying about queues 2384
- Bitten by sci-fi bug 1486
- Bangladesh: Unremitting Effort 3692
- Can Government be toppled? 3173
- Can the unity govt deliver? 3075
- Rugby chiefs begin passing game 2021
- Gunaratne fractures thumb 1993
- SLT Speedup resumes from Puttalam 1998
- Testing England debut for Roland-Jones 2000
- Dhawan, Pujara make SL toil 1996
- Madrid clinch world record deal 1999
- Kids’ chance to understand golf 1999
- LYCEUM WATTALA U-19 CHAMPS 1997
- Kanrich Finance emerge overall winners 1997
- Championship entries now open 1996
- Nukes? No thanks 1997
- fuel shortage imminent 2584
- Animals to lose peace and quiet at night? 4858
- Right of Reply 4760
- Addressing dengue One hour, one day and every week is enough 5613
- UNP-SLFP government a mess 4003
- NFTH to Facilitate Clinical Training for SAITM 4452
- Prioritize FTAs with China and India – Dr. Wignaraja 3461
- Private medical education fraught with corruption – Prof. Carlo Fonseka 2518
- MULTINATIONALS HAVE SOUNDED DEATH KNELL FOR LOCAL TRISHAW INDUSTRY 4666
- ‘Less Talk, More Action’ needed – State Official 2000
- We are poor because we are corrupt 2000
- Tea Industry not sustainable 2000
- Target unilateral and bilateral trade hybrid 2001
- Shares jump as forex bill passed 2002
- WAY under 10% after 70 months 1999
- SL has exhausted borrowing capacity 2018
- Lanka IOC ensures a round-the-clock supply of fuel during strike 1999
- Apple faces $506M patent dispute payout 1996
- Asia markets close mixed as oil extends gains; Fed awaited 2000
- The New Constitution A Chronological Analysis 2032
- A Whitewash for Failed Politics 2533
- Mattek-Sands horror injury puts Djokovic, Federer in shadow 3072
- World’s fastest growing wetland The Yellow River Estuary 1701
- Harry Potter – A Safe Haven 2198
- How to Answer an Essay Type Question 2197
- Joie de vivre with the one I love 2193
- An Audacious Insurgent - Surekha Samarasena 2194
- Nadi Dosha – an evil that ruins married life– Part 2 1998
- Next four months will be crucial 1983
- Rahu in the 7th obstructs marital life? 1973
- Agate gemstones keep mind and body balance 1943
- There is no success or failure in Love 1951
- Radiobeiträge Radio as Potent Tool of Education 4836
- Speaking with a Forked Tongue 4835
- Global and Local in Hong Kong cinema -Part 2 4857
- Kuchipudi dance recital and Carnatic vocal recital 4812
- Fairway National Literary Awards 2017 4760
- PASCH International Youth Camp 2017 in Embilipitiya Holistic Approach to Education 4816
- History Can Guide us Towards Prosperous Lives 4749
- Melancholia and the Creative Urge 6557
- An endemic cure for snake bite 1114
- Summer holiday camp for kids 1127
- Shouldn’t they live too? 1102
- The dearth of skilled labour in the hospitality sector 1086
- The importance of grooming your pet 1081
- The new face of tea 1103
- Charging victory 1095
- An amazing biking experience 1130
- Young masters of Karate 1123
- Skills for all 1076
- The words,sound and legacy of Chester Bennington 1112
- Marching in celebration 1089