Thompson in tune for worlds
(AFP) Jamaica's sprint queen Elaine Thompson tuned up for next month's world championships in style at the Rabat Diamond League meet on Sunday, but Olympic pole vault champion Thiago Braz endured a torrid time.
The Brazilian stole the show in Rio last year but failed in all three of his attempts at 5.40m.
Making his return to competition after a month sidelined with a knee problem in Morocco his lack of form will give him major cause for concern with London looming.
Reigning double Olympic sprint champion Thompson in contrast was all smiles after annexing the 100m in a meeting record 10.87sec.
Thompson, who owns the season's leading time of 10.71m set in Kingston last month, crossed clear of Marie-Josee Ta Lou of the Ivory Coast (10.90) in a re-run of the result in Paris on 1 July.
Trinidad and Tobago's Michelle-Lee Ahye took third in 11.02.
"My races are going fine, I'm in the shape that I want to be in and I'm looking forward to the London world championships," said Thompson.
Briton Chijindu Ujah timed 9.98sec to take the men's 100m from Ivorian Ben Youssef Meite in 10.01.
"I hope I can do something very special in London," ventured Ujah ahead of his clash with Jamaican sprint legend Usain Bolt next month.
Canada's Andre De Grasse, seen as the heir to Bolt when the Jamaican great calls it quits after London, came out on top in the 200m, timing 20.03sec.
American Ameer Webb took second in 20.18 with Briton Zharnel Hughes third in 20.22.
"I was pushed in the bend but I wanted to finish strong today and to stay relaxed. I wanted to use this to tune up for the worlds, and it went pretty well," said De Grasse.
The 22-year-old made history in Rio last year when he became the first Canadian sprinter to win three medals at a single Olympics -- silver in the 200m, behind Bolt, and bronze from the 100m and 4x100m relay.
Colombia's women's Olympic triple jump champion Caterine Ibarguen gave her London prospects a confidence boost in Rabat with a leap of 14.51m to beat Jamaican Kimberly Williams (14.31m).
"I'm hoping to arrive at the worlds at my top level," said Ibarguen. The Moroccan fans were served up a home 1-2-3 in the men's 1500m won by Brahim Akachab, while Botswana's Nijel Amos, who has the fastest time in the world this year, won the 800m in 1min 43.91. Kenyan Kipyegon Bett (1:44.28) came in second, with absent Olympic champion David Rudisha waiting for them in London.
Another home hope, 21-year-old Soufiane El Bakkali, saw off Kenyan rival Jairus Kipchoge Birech in the men's 3000m steeplechase in a personal best of 8min 05.12sec, and compatriot Abdelaati Iguider won the men's 3000m.
South African Rushwal Samaai took the men's long jump, while another star of the Rio 2016 Games, ShaunaeMiller-Uibo of the Bahamas, won the women's 400m.
She reflected: "This was actually a training run for me. The time (49.80sec) is good but it is not very important for me now, what counts are the world championships."
With Braz flopping, the pole vault went to Poland's Pawel Wojciechowski who cleared 5.85m to beat German Raphael Holzdeppe (5.70m).
The world championships in London run from 4 August to 13 August .
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- No consensus on Constitution 2420
- India-US Economic Relations Bounce Back 2416
- Symposium on Islamic and Arabic Studies 2416
- Two-day workshop at Prisons Dept.On Materials Management 2416
- Mere ploys to delay elections, CaFFE cries out! 30% rep for women & having elections on the same day 2416
- Students struggle without teachers in Kalpitiya 2417
- Students in ‘Osari Pota’ row Governor defends CM 2418
- President Sirisena returns 2416
- Girl (15) rescued by cops from nightclub 2422
- Scholarship Exam results out on 5 October 2418
- Obtaining a Driving licence Mental Health certificate required – Dr. Kodagoda 2412
- Interim Report on CA Constituent parties to be consulted – Senathirajah 2414
- Disappearance of 11 Tamil youth Ex-Navy spokesman further remanded 2414
- Halloluwa resigns as CCFC chairman Says too much pressure to do wrong 2412
- In Vitro Fertilization in Govt hospitals soon 2415
- Passing of PC polls Bill BASL & TISL criticize Govt 2411
- Kahawatta killing Ex-Snr DIG Jayasinghe arrested Allegedly concealed evidence 2411
- Third stage of Central Expressway Agreement to be signed this week 2412
- 1.9 Million Affected By Drought – DMC Thousands Of Families Reduced To One Meal A Day – UN Farmer Suicides Increase 2419
- US Counter Measure to China-Pakistan Economic Corridor 3695
- NEW CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMS EXECUTIVE PRESIDENCY: MAIN BONE OF CONTENTION 3771
- Soldier arrested on sexual abuse claim Girl (15) the victim 3725
- Govt trying to pass Constitution in a corrupt manner – Wimal 3678
- Price index for coconuts Action against black marketeers – CCB Chairman 3679
- Call to hike tax on cheap fags Prevent switch by high brand smokers 3674
- The March of Folly Sarath Fonseka as both Good Cop and Bad Cop 2208
- Case of the abused autistic youth No Justice – Just Us Case heard after being stuck in legal backwater for ages 2206
- The Rohingya of Arakan: Homeless and Stateless 2209
- Unitary or united, undivided and indivisible Executive Presidency or Westminster Premier 3112
- Water, a key issue in South Asian Geopolitics Sino-Indian battle over Brahmaputra River 3072
- SLC donates Rs 1.6M for Cricket Umpires office complex 2206
- Sangakkara is still scoring 2208
- Maliyadeva BMC and Army SC win titles 2206
- Galagedara conducts goal keeping course 2206
- MCA 'B' division 50-over League Commercial Credit Finance ‘B’ and MAS Silueta win 2206
- WP South beat Uva 2208
- SL women down Thailand to win plate 2203
- Sri Lanka win Plate for the second time 2199
- SLC using Cricketers as ‘guinea pigs’ – Pramodya 2214
- SL women wrestlers finish pointless 2202
- Night opening of Zoo Crouching Tiger, Open Zoo 1883
- CEB JTUA’s continuous strike A 10% salary hike solves the family conflict 2947
- Interim report of the Steering Committee of CA Deep divisions in political parties 2934
- Enter Arjuna Mahendran! 3842
- Interim report on constitutional reforms Salient features 3090
- We will be intransigent! 1884
- Betel chewing main cause of oral cancer – Dr. Hemantha Amarasinghe 3210
- Lankan lawmakers have a ‘unitary mindset’ -Jayampathy 2807
- No cause to panic that LTTE will raise head again – DEFENCE SECRETARY KAPILA WAIDYARATNE PC 3011
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4144
- Lanka Graphite gets mining licence 1881
- Over $600M FDI in first 6 months 1883
- Working on regulating informal sector – John 1881
- Govt scraps tea blending plans 1881
- Global trade recovery threatened by downside risks: WTO 1883
- On’ally 23% stake sold 1882
- Shares hit new one-week low on foreign sales 1878
- ‘Spot’ goes below Rs 153 Money Printing 0.5% of GDP 1876
- Fitch affirms Abans at ‘BBB+(lka)'; Outlook stable 1878
- Asian stocks pressured by NK tensions, German election 1879
- Executing an Executive order 2800
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2622
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3643
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo? 2538
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2538
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2532
- best workout songs 1873
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1989
- close look at dreaded Sakata Yoga 2602
- Fortune and misfortune depicted in horoscope 2607
- Know the zodiac sign of your partner 2604
- Time to read first letters to toddlers 2584
- Secret Mantra that cures headache 2584
- CIBF and impact of culture on economy 3471
- Classical Chinese Poetry with a modernist face – 2 3465
- Time Never Waits 3479
- Hindi Diwas-2017 Indo-Lanka Hindi Sammelan 3465
- Music for Three 3455
- Handa Eliyata Wedi Tiyanna 3455
- How important pronunciation in foreign language teaching? 3448
- Body of the Text 3123
- Books, glorious books! 1936
- Every little heart deserves the best care 1935
- IN THE NICK OF THE TIME BUT YET.. 1935
- The Sri Lankan who always went places 1923
- The treatment of Diabetic Foot 1936
- Sri Lankans and their right to know 1925
- A Bibliophiles haven 2593
- Bluetooth can give your device security cavities 2607
- Narrative Progression 2597
- Strangers to friends 2591
- Colombo suits up 2606
- True inclusivity in the makeup world 2590