Govt fully committed to anti-money laundering
By Ishara Gamage
Sri Lanka has the utmost political commitment to the fight against money laundering, terrorist financing and all sorts of other crimes, government and Central Bank officials said yesterday.
Addressing the opening ceremony of the 20th Annual Meeting of the Asia/Pacific Group (APG) on Money Laundering in Colombo, Finance Minister Mangala Samaraweera said that the government's objective is to ensure Sri Lankan institutions, financial systems, economies as well day-to-day lives are free from the threats posed by money launderers and terrorists.
"We have emerged from a period where corruption was rife," he said.
He also said that as the Finance Minister who is responsible for the country's Financial Intelligence Unit (FIU), he is committed to......improving the anti-money laundering and terrorism financing combatting framework.
The APG's objectives are set out by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), which include the ensuring of effective implementation and enforcement of internationally accepted anti-money laundering and terrorism financing standards.
Speaking to Ceylon FT, FATF Executive Secretary, David Lewis said that global money laundering transactions are estimated at 2 to 5% of global GDP.
"We are happy with the progress of Sri Lanka's anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing process," he said.
However, according to the FATF's, Sri Lanka Mutual Evaluation Report last year (2015), there were several bottlenecks in the country's anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing process
The FIU-Sri Lanka that was established in 2007 has evolved with the challenges and necessities of the time.
The FIU receives information on any suspicious transaction relating to ML and TF from all banks, finance companies, insurance companies and stock brokers.
Recently this requirement was imposed on non-financial businesses and professions as well.
Sri Lanka has also signed 33 MOUs with foreign FIUs to share information for intelligence purposes.
Speaking at the event the Co-Chair of APG on Money Laundering from the host country and the FIU-Sri Lanka Head Dr. H. Amarathunga said that Sri Lanka can be proud of being among the first 13 countries which took the initial steps to set up the APG in 1997.
Dr. Amarathunga said that Sri Lanka is always willing to play a pivotal role in combating ML and TF with the support of other international partners.
"I would like to reiterate to the distinguished gathering here today that ML and TF can be prevented only through the collective effort of our local and international stakeholders and partners," he said.
The APG Annual Meeting is one of the flagship events of the APG Calendar. There were approximately 400 delegates from 41 member countries and 25 observers from approximately 14 international organizations attending this Sri Lankan event.
The APG is an autonomous and collaborative international organization founded in 1997 in Bangkok, Thailand consisting of 41 members and a number of international and regional observers.
Some of the key international organizations who participate in, and support, the efforts of the APG in the region include the FATF, International Monetary Fund, World Bank, OECD, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Asian Development Bank and the Egmont Group of Financial Intelligence Units.
APG members and observers are committed to the effective implementation and enforcement of internationally accepted standards against money laundering and the financing of terrorism, in particular the Forty Recommendations of the FATF.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- No consensus on Constitution 2420
- India-US Economic Relations Bounce Back 2416
- Symposium on Islamic and Arabic Studies 2416
- Two-day workshop at Prisons Dept.On Materials Management 2416
- Mere ploys to delay elections, CaFFE cries out! 30% rep for women & having elections on the same day 2416
- Students struggle without teachers in Kalpitiya 2417
- Students in ‘Osari Pota’ row Governor defends CM 2418
- President Sirisena returns 2416
- Girl (15) rescued by cops from nightclub 2422
- Scholarship Exam results out on 5 October 2418
- Obtaining a Driving licence Mental Health certificate required – Dr. Kodagoda 2412
- Interim Report on CA Constituent parties to be consulted – Senathirajah 2414
- Disappearance of 11 Tamil youth Ex-Navy spokesman further remanded 2414
- Halloluwa resigns as CCFC chairman Says too much pressure to do wrong 2412
- In Vitro Fertilization in Govt hospitals soon 2415
- Passing of PC polls Bill BASL & TISL criticize Govt 2411
- Kahawatta killing Ex-Snr DIG Jayasinghe arrested Allegedly concealed evidence 2411
- Third stage of Central Expressway Agreement to be signed this week 2412
- 1.9 Million Affected By Drought – DMC Thousands Of Families Reduced To One Meal A Day – UN Farmer Suicides Increase 2419
- US Counter Measure to China-Pakistan Economic Corridor 3695
- NEW CONSTITUTIONAL REFORMS EXECUTIVE PRESIDENCY: MAIN BONE OF CONTENTION 3771
- Soldier arrested on sexual abuse claim Girl (15) the victim 3725
- Govt trying to pass Constitution in a corrupt manner – Wimal 3678
- Price index for coconuts Action against black marketeers – CCB Chairman 3679
- Call to hike tax on cheap fags Prevent switch by high brand smokers 3674
- The March of Folly Sarath Fonseka as both Good Cop and Bad Cop 2208
- Case of the abused autistic youth No Justice – Just Us Case heard after being stuck in legal backwater for ages 2206
- The Rohingya of Arakan: Homeless and Stateless 2209
- Unitary or united, undivided and indivisible Executive Presidency or Westminster Premier 3112
- Water, a key issue in South Asian Geopolitics Sino-Indian battle over Brahmaputra River 3072
- SLC donates Rs 1.6M for Cricket Umpires office complex 2206
- Sangakkara is still scoring 2208
- Maliyadeva BMC and Army SC win titles 2206
- Galagedara conducts goal keeping course 2206
- MCA 'B' division 50-over League Commercial Credit Finance ‘B’ and MAS Silueta win 2206
- WP South beat Uva 2208
- SL women down Thailand to win plate 2203
- Sri Lanka win Plate for the second time 2199
- SLC using Cricketers as ‘guinea pigs’ – Pramodya 2214
- SL women wrestlers finish pointless 2202
- Night opening of Zoo Crouching Tiger, Open Zoo 1883
- CEB JTUA’s continuous strike A 10% salary hike solves the family conflict 2947
- Interim report of the Steering Committee of CA Deep divisions in political parties 2934
- Enter Arjuna Mahendran! 3842
- Interim report on constitutional reforms Salient features 3090
- We will be intransigent! 1884
- Betel chewing main cause of oral cancer – Dr. Hemantha Amarasinghe 3210
- Lankan lawmakers have a ‘unitary mindset’ -Jayampathy 2807
- No cause to panic that LTTE will raise head again – DEFENCE SECRETARY KAPILA WAIDYARATNE PC 3011
- Mother was a steadfast support to my father Chathurika Sirisena 4144
- Lanka Graphite gets mining licence 1881
- Over $600M FDI in first 6 months 1883
- Working on regulating informal sector – John 1881
- Govt scraps tea blending plans 1881
- Global trade recovery threatened by downside risks: WTO 1883
- On’ally 23% stake sold 1882
- Shares hit new one-week low on foreign sales 1878
- ‘Spot’ goes below Rs 153 Money Printing 0.5% of GDP 1876
- Fitch affirms Abans at ‘BBB+(lka)'; Outlook stable 1878
- Asian stocks pressured by NK tensions, German election 1879
- Executing an Executive order 2800
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2622
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3643
- What went wrong at the Apple Inc. iPhone X demo? 2538
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2538
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2532
- best workout songs 1873
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1989
- close look at dreaded Sakata Yoga 2602
- Fortune and misfortune depicted in horoscope 2607
- Know the zodiac sign of your partner 2604
- Time to read first letters to toddlers 2584
- Secret Mantra that cures headache 2584
- CIBF and impact of culture on economy 3471
- Classical Chinese Poetry with a modernist face – 2 3465
- Time Never Waits 3479
- Hindi Diwas-2017 Indo-Lanka Hindi Sammelan 3465
- Music for Three 3455
- Handa Eliyata Wedi Tiyanna 3455
- How important pronunciation in foreign language teaching? 3448
- Body of the Text 3123
- Books, glorious books! 1936
- Every little heart deserves the best care 1935
- IN THE NICK OF THE TIME BUT YET.. 1935
- The Sri Lankan who always went places 1923
- The treatment of Diabetic Foot 1936
- Sri Lankans and their right to know 1925
- A Bibliophiles haven 2593
- Bluetooth can give your device security cavities 2607
- Narrative Progression 2597
- Strangers to friends 2591
- Colombo suits up 2606
- True inclusivity in the makeup world 2590