The battle of the size
BY Natasha Siribaddana
The fashion industry is facing backlashes in a daily basis. First, the use of very unhealthily skinny models became a bad example for the future generations. Then recently the use of plus size models have been called off as glorifying obesity.
The extremely thin models are banned from some of the fashion runaways. The plus size models are not been used much in popular fashion shows either.
Some models starve to reach the requirement of the agent or the company. Honestly some models can be used as perfect examples to teach human anatomy. That much they are malnourished. Continuous starvation causes food disorders. Ultimately they cause damage to the whole body and get diagnosed for anorexia. Anorexia causes more severe complication like anemia etc.
Such companies should be banned for treating these models like objects. To recover from these disorders takes considerably a very long period.
Body shaming is a heated topic these days and many are bullied for being extremely thin or extremely obese. Even the most famous celebrities and public figures have experienced some level of body shaming.
Bulling starts at a very young age to some individuals and it physically and mentally scar them. But this should not mean that we or anyone have to accept their unhealthy body. This issue should be address by helping the people to become healthy. Parents should not advice the child to eat to be thin or fat; they should advice them to keep the body clean and healthy. There are food disorders that need medical attention.
A recent Sports Illustrated swimsuit catwalk show featured models of diverse body types, including plus-sized models. Some of the audience was moved to tears after seeing some of the models representing themselves. It was a touchy moment for everyone.
If these companies send very overweight or obese people down the catwalk modeling clothes, what it is saying, in a way, is that we are celebrating obesity. It is a dangerous health condition.
There should be a strict requirement in modeling agency not to in take any models underweight or overweight for the Body Mass Index (BMI). Modeling should not be used as a media to stop body shaming. It should be used as to spread healthy lifestyles for the young generations.
Modeling is a challenging field and these models work so hard to keep their beauty and confidence way up. Though modeling is seen as an easy job, it's actually really hectic. There is so much competition between these models to become perfect than the other.
Not everyone can be GiGi Hadid or Kendall Jenner; we don't even know whether they are underweight or not. Last year (2016), GiGi was called out by Tommy Hilfiger that she is not thin enough for the runway that's why she was covered with clothes to show less skin. After that statement she went on a diet to fit in to the runway. If GiGi was not thin enough, we should update of the definition of thin. To our eyes she was already thin enough to become a stunning healthy model.
The models who are working to Victoria secret should go on a strict diet and training months before the annual fashion show. The models work for these famous companies are trained so hard in the gym. But no one can believe these, judging from how thin they look. They have to work out number of hours per day and eat healthy as much as they can. They are constantly been monitored because these big companies have a responsibility to sell their products using these gorgeous models. If these models don't look very appealing and healthy it's a down fall to the company.
This only happens in considerably small amount in the fashion world. This system was initiated recently to check if the models fit in the runaway.
The use of plus size models as well as extremely skinny ones are now been labeled as spreading unhealthy trends to the world.
This is truly a huge change in the fashion industry. This message carries positivity towards children. The children who grow up wanting to be a model now knows that it's not how thin or chubby you look. To be a professional model the overall health also matters.
- Will Legal Action be taken to recover bonds scam loss? Corruption Watchdogs express concern
- PM’s special statement on bonds scam Rs 12B PTL assets under CB control Frozen assets to be used to regain Rs 9.2B loss
- Rift between SLFP and UNP Investors feel country unstable - SLID Chairman
- Approx 60 candidates unsuited for LG
- Failure to probe financial misconduct CIABOC charges ex-CJ Mohan Peiris with corruption
- PRECIFAC Report Majority implicated are SLFPers- Amaraweera
- Revocation of excise notice lifting ban on women FR petitioners to form army Mangala signs notice re-imposing ban on Cabinet request
- Reserves down $ 484.36M to $ 7,468.22M
- Marsoof Report on Muslim Matrimonial Law ready Committee Chair awaits meeting Justice Minister to release Report
- Mixing kerosene with diesel CPC closes petrol shed in Nawala Minister Ranatunga seeks public help to catch errant shed owners
- Public help sought to identify kidnappers
- MP Ranjith de Zoysa removed from SLFP organizer post
- Nepalese Army Chief of Staff meets SLAF Commander
- Perumal blasts TNA for clinging to Govt
- Poaching Indian fishers nabbed with heroin
- UNP’s Hassen Ali crosses over
- Female representation in politics should be 50 pc - Ponnambalam
- Akkaraipattu gets 4 agri roads
- Overseas travel ban on Aluthgamage lifted
- Pakistani Army Chief says Lanka has achieved significant development
- Posting Eelam/LTTE New Year greetings Suspects re-remanded
- Rohitha’s travel ban lifted
- I & E officers’ TU action meanders on
- HC hears plaintiff’s testimony
- Breach of trust and misappropriation Arrest warrant issued on singer Rajeew Sebastian
- Sri Lanka batters fail
- Chelsea edge into FA Cup fourth round
- Missed Messi penalty cost Barca in cup derby defeat
- Neymar scores four as Cavani matches Zlatan record
- Crowd behaves badly as prankster halts play
- Sainz closes in on second Dakar title
- Kohli named ‘Cricketer of the Year’
- Kanrich ‘B’ crush Stafford Motors
- Premier League Cricket Tier A Final six matches begins today
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Ameen achieves 50 wicket milestone
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Sebastians win by an innings
- Nayer charged under ICC anti-corruption code
- Sri Lanka Vs Bangladesh 2nd ODI Mathews under injury cloud
- Dayasiri blasts Arjuna Invites him to take over Selection Committee Invites him to take over Selection Committee
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup SL meet Pakistan today
- FIFA World Cup in Colombo on 22 Jan
- Kerber sets up Sharapova clash
- CH bag fifth victory
- Wozniacki, Svitolina survive scares
- Afghanistan to play maiden Test at Bangalore in June
- No attempts to remove PUCSL members: Power Secretary
- Agreement with China, UN for fruit production
- Airbus Superjumbo jet’s future secured by Emirates order
- ‘Spot’ falls on political uncertainty
- Shares tumble further
- Asian shares mixed as China data comes in
- WE Have done everything possible to address Weliamuna issues: SriLankan
- China’s economy grew 6.9% in 2017, topping both official target and 2016 growth
- Indian Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad delivers Kadirgamar Lecture
- NDB’s ‘Pancha Maama’ visits Katana Pre-school
- Dialog Gaming’s Play Expo concludes successfully
- Ceylinco Life opens Green branch in Chilaw
- MBSL to host Vehicle Leasing Fair
- CTC laboratory receives ISO/IEC 17025:2005 certification
- Is bitcoin a ludicrous investment?
- Apple is pumping billions in cash back into US; a win for Trump
- Eden Resort & Spa wins Gold for third straight year
- Mohamed Riyal appointed Serendib Flour Mills CEO
- Lalith Wijetunge inducted as OPA President
- LAUGFS Lubricants Brand Ambassador triumphs
- National Prosperity Starter for turning the tide!
- Taiwan mulls Third gender option on passports, IDs
- Yemen could face famine in 2018
- Imposing Civic Liability for the Bond Scam
- With rebel ceasefire in tatters Fears of fresh displacement in Colombia –UN
- ‘Jallikattu’ Syndrome: Expression of ethnic angst
- Big brands unite to fight slavery in Asia Banks to casinos unite in fight
- Evolution of India’s Constitutional and Democratic Polity
- Overlooking the Monetary Law Act 1949 Politicization of the Central Bank
- Complete Rohingya return in two years Bangladesh agrees with Myanmar
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- No political solution for Tamil grievances in sight – Ananthy Sasitharan
- Division in SLFP main reason for UNP victory
- We don’t endorse Basil’s leadership
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Planetary combines that foreshadow misfortune for father
- Pirith chants for abundant harvest
- Venus into Capricorn
- Vastu and Domestic Animals
- Yoga for Children and Adults with Disabilities
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Trump’s ‘madman’ ACT scared N. Korea to talks
- Calls for ‘revenge’ Israeli settler killed in attack
- Banning of Colombo Journal First English Newspaper
- Sri Lankan author publishes for the world
- Broadway brought to our own shores
- Celebrating the harvest