The battle of the size
BY Natasha Siribaddana
The fashion industry is facing backlashes in a daily basis. First, the use of very unhealthily skinny models became a bad example for the future generations. Then recently the use of plus size models have been called off as glorifying obesity.
The extremely thin models are banned from some of the fashion runaways. The plus size models are not been used much in popular fashion shows either.
Some models starve to reach the requirement of the agent or the company. Honestly some models can be used as perfect examples to teach human anatomy. That much they are malnourished. Continuous starvation causes food disorders. Ultimately they cause damage to the whole body and get diagnosed for anorexia. Anorexia causes more severe complication like anemia etc.
Such companies should be banned for treating these models like objects. To recover from these disorders takes considerably a very long period.
Body shaming is a heated topic these days and many are bullied for being extremely thin or extremely obese. Even the most famous celebrities and public figures have experienced some level of body shaming.
Bulling starts at a very young age to some individuals and it physically and mentally scar them. But this should not mean that we or anyone have to accept their unhealthy body. This issue should be address by helping the people to become healthy. Parents should not advice the child to eat to be thin or fat; they should advice them to keep the body clean and healthy. There are food disorders that need medical attention.
A recent Sports Illustrated swimsuit catwalk show featured models of diverse body types, including plus-sized models. Some of the audience was moved to tears after seeing some of the models representing themselves. It was a touchy moment for everyone.
If these companies send very overweight or obese people down the catwalk modeling clothes, what it is saying, in a way, is that we are celebrating obesity. It is a dangerous health condition.
There should be a strict requirement in modeling agency not to in take any models underweight or overweight for the Body Mass Index (BMI). Modeling should not be used as a media to stop body shaming. It should be used as to spread healthy lifestyles for the young generations.
Modeling is a challenging field and these models work so hard to keep their beauty and confidence way up. Though modeling is seen as an easy job, it's actually really hectic. There is so much competition between these models to become perfect than the other.
Not everyone can be GiGi Hadid or Kendall Jenner; we don't even know whether they are underweight or not. Last year (2016), GiGi was called out by Tommy Hilfiger that she is not thin enough for the runway that's why she was covered with clothes to show less skin. After that statement she went on a diet to fit in to the runway. If GiGi was not thin enough, we should update of the definition of thin. To our eyes she was already thin enough to become a stunning healthy model.
The models who are working to Victoria secret should go on a strict diet and training months before the annual fashion show. The models work for these famous companies are trained so hard in the gym. But no one can believe these, judging from how thin they look. They have to work out number of hours per day and eat healthy as much as they can. They are constantly been monitored because these big companies have a responsibility to sell their products using these gorgeous models. If these models don't look very appealing and healthy it's a down fall to the company.
This only happens in considerably small amount in the fashion world. This system was initiated recently to check if the models fit in the runaway.
The use of plus size models as well as extremely skinny ones are now been labeled as spreading unhealthy trends to the world.
This is truly a huge change in the fashion industry. This message carries positivity towards children. The children who grow up wanting to be a model now knows that it's not how thin or chubby you look. To be a professional model the overall health also matters.
- The Architecture of Democracy’s Processes
- WHY A N-E MERGER IS UNNECESSARY NEW CONSTITUTION:A VERITABLE TIME BOMB!
- Six houses damaged in wild jumbo fury Jittery villagers live in fear
- ‘Faculty Day’ at SEUSL
- Sponsor Free Visa Lanka dropped in new Oman facility The Maldives, Bhutan on selected list
- Two killed in crash on E-03
- Indian HC launches B. Tech degree course at SIBA
- Devolution might have an adverse effect on healthcare GMOA
- Girl expelled from school NCPA to act on Police probe
- People’s plight has worsened Siriwimala Thera
- This is no fairy tale Sheree joyously waits Meeting up with biological mum and twin sis in Gampaha
- Prompt aid for disaster victims Ranil Flays Ministries for delays
- Alleged assault on protesters: Report to NPC next week
- Aloysius senior in alleged estate scam Rs 8,000 as rent for 450 acres
- New Constitution not prepared yet Ranil
- Tamil translation of proposed new Constitution Public invited to participate
- President dares critics provide solutions to devolution
- Pakistan’s press freedom not suppressed-Janjua
- President visits Vithya’s mother
- Temple of Tooth gets new mallet Gifted by ex-Japanese politician
- Govt to hold back Audit Bill Claiming AG Dept unions’ opposition
- Sampanthan and Pablo meet Prisoners, land issues raised
- Unemployment increases to 4.5% Labour force drops to 53.9%
- Government debt passes Rs 10 Trillion
- Death of Jacintha Peiris
- Sri Lanka aim to arrest slide
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ tour of the Caribbean Sri Lanka ‘A’ win by 280 runs
- Former Police ruggerite ‘Kunta’ dies
- Kandy SC beat Singapore
- Blue and Gold Hockey 7s Nalanda and Musaeus emerge champions
- Kohli scores 100 in his 200th ODI match
- Dialog Champions League Matara hold Renown to a draw
- Man Utd loss lets Man City pull away
- WEBXPAY partners with Havelock Sports Club
- Dialog spearheads ‘Play for a Cause’ to empower School Cricket
- MCA ‘B’ Division 50 –Over League Tournament 2018 Unbeaten MAS Silueta emerge champions
- Singer Trophy’ Under-13 Division I Cricket Induwara scores first double ton
- DSI Supersport Schools’ Volleyball Championship National level finals begin today
- My dream has come true: Thisara
- Thisara to lead SL T/20 team
- Blue and Gold Hockey Sevens Pre quarter-finalists found
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ lead by 370 runs
- Gozal wins singles crown
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket St. Sebastian’s take lead
- Air Force trounce Up Country Lions
- The need for a balanced National Tobacco Policy
- A sweeter path to sustainable energy
- Will Australia’s ‘miracle economy’ keep on winning?
- Rumours aside, the ‘world’s biggest IPO’ is on track
- Bring Wet Zone under the plough Only 22% get Govt drought relief WFP
- Startup success, and the new future of consumer testing
- CHINA’S ASIA VISION similar to 1945, WITH ONE DIFFERENCE MONEY Post-World War plans inspired many, but were undermined by a dire economic situation
- US business goes in to battle for cherished tax breaks Lobbyists descend on the Hill as Republicans debate eliminating popular loopholes
- OPPO to launch new Selfie Expert First full-screen device from the smartphone brand
- Advantis Engineering awarded at NCASL Construct 2017
- COMBANK UnionPay now POS-enabled
- Asian markets higher after US budget measures Kiwi dollar falls to multi-month lows
- CBSL retires Rs 8.8 B worth of MP
- US $152 M Bibile sugar investment in peril Mahaweli Authority delays eviction of land encroachers
- Philippines wary of SL-like ‘debt trap’ Vice President warns against heavy Chinese funding
- ‘Invest Sri Lanka’ at iconic NASDAQ site
- Int’l Trade Ministry should handle tea exports Exporters Rs 2 B of promotional funds misdirected by last regime Govt to remove promotional levy; TEA calls for removal of all CESSes
- Govt invests Rs 225 M to computerize Tea Auction
- Shares recover from 10-day low on Friday
- Milan Maersk docks in Colombo CICT welcomes one of the world’s largest ships
- Extremism will strengthen the devil
- Kiriella tells Dinesh ‘You’ve misled Mahanayakes’
- Concentrated wisdom Learning from others
- lateral thinking Nation’s guardians celebrate 68th Anniversary
- A Time of Gifts Starting to wind down
- Plague in Madagascar: Death toll nears 100
- Tiger Trap
- Chronic kidney diseases Pinning down ‘culprits’
- Federalism made a dirty word by politicians - Wigneswaran
- 100th Birth Anniversary Mahanama Samaraweera was a Housing Minister without a house - H.G. Sirisena
- Suicide prevention Sri Lanka has made best improvements WHO data outdated
- Namal trying hard to become a political prisoner Betrays protesters to party in Russia – Rajakaruna
- Aloysius should have been arrested-Namal Rajapaksa
- No Revenge I want to embrace all those who left us – Basil Rajapaksa
- Large Industrial Zone for Thulhiriya
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Saturn’s return to Sagittarius on Oct: 26
- SATURN TRANSITS SAGITTARIUS
- Saturn transits Sagittarius October 26 onwards crucial for offenders
- How to relieve a headache in five minutes
- Best ways to use illusion
- Kazuo Ishiguro and English diction
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – the new Nobel Laureate
- Flair for the Exotic
- OUSL wins Gold and Silver medals for the Best Practice Award
- Invitation for Project proposals
- Colombo Theatre Forum The Dramaturge
- Fairway English Creative Writing Workshop 2017
- Inspired by farms and country
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- “My greatest achievement is yet to be achieved” - Thiyasha De Fonseka
- WAXED COLOMBO
- Writer’s Kitchenette Banana Bread Cheesecake
- Was Dudley Senanayake aware of the ‘62’ coup
- Batticaloa MP Sinna Lebbe proposed Lion Flag
- The Deadliest Bombing in Somalia
- Long live Sybil!
- Pettah’s ‘Fashion Star’
- Do’s and don’ts of celebrating your child’s birthday at an orphanage