Today (12) is International Youth Day Youth, Sri Lanka’s best hope for peace – UNDP Rep
According to the Sri Lanka National Human Development Report (NHDR 2014), 68.5% of youth surveyed believed in the right to be treated equally and without discrimination, a positive indication that youth see equality as key to social integration and their role in promoting it.
However, young people today face many challenges in education, employment, sexual and reproductive health and more, which seriously undermine their ability to reach their full potential , said UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative Ms. Una McCauley in her International Youth Day message.
Her message : In September of last year, I had the privilege of attending an event in Galle with the then UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, to meet over 100 young Sri Lankans actively engaged in peace-building work.
Skilled young men and women, their approaches to peace building were as varied as their backgrounds but every single one of them unified in their commitment and passion, actively contributing to a peaceful and unified Sri Lanka. These young people were born and lived their early lives during conflict, terror and displacement, yet their involvement in peace building, reconciliation and post-conflict transformation is playing a part in creating a better future for us all.
As the world celebrates International Youth Day this Saturday (12 August), the theme this year : "Youth building Peace" is especially relevant for Sri Lanka.
Just over a month ago, the UN Secretary General, António Guterres appointed one such champion, Sri Lanka's own Jayathma Wickramanayake, his global Envoy for Youth. Among her impressive list of achievements, Jayathma was most recently advocating for conflict prevention at the time of her appointment.
There are many Jayathmas in Sri Lanka, committed young men and women working tirelessly for the betterment of society.
Sri Lanka's youth has always been its greatest, yet most under estimated asset.
Only 8% of schools offer GCE A/L in Science, Arts and Commerce while 20% only offer Arts and Commerce (NHDR 2014). According to the Annual Labour Force Survey of 2015, youth (15-24 years) unemployment rate stands at 20.8%. This is alarming, considering that the overall unemployment rate stands at 4.7%.The National Youth Health Survey 2013 also found that 55% of respondents were not aware of reproductive health services in their region, while suicide is considered one of the leading causes of death among adolescents and youth in Sri Lanka.
There are over 4.4 million young people in Sri Lanka with diverse needs. Young people with disabilities, HIV+ youth, young LGBTI communities, rich and poor, in rural and urban areas.
Investing in each and everyone of these 4.4 million by creating inclusive access to quality education, knowledge and skills is key in ensuring meaningful employment and livelihoods which in turn will empower and enable more youth to join their peers in working towards a more just and equitable society.
But empowerment alone is not enough.
It is our responsibility as leaders to listen to the voices of youth, to ensure they are included in decisions that often affect them in ways that decision-makers seldom imagine.
Harnessing the potential of youth is essential to achieving sustainable peace. Inclusive participation of youth in decision-making processes at all levels of governance is essential to achieving sustainable peace. Applying the resourcefulness, openness and energy of Sri Lanka's multi-cultural youth is essential to achieving sustainable peace.
Youth is indefinitely Sri Lanka's best hope at achieving durable, lasting peace.
This is why, the UN Agencies in Sri Lanka are facilitating several engagements between young people and a multitude of stakeholders, including the government, civil society, private sector and development partners through the UN Peace Building Fund.
This International Youth Day, we celebrate the tremendous contributions young people make to their communities and the world to build peaceful societies.
Let us also not fail to recommit to work with, and for, the youth of Sri Lanka – the most valuable force we have to shape a better future for us all.
- The Architecture of Democracy’s Processes
- WHY A N-E MERGER IS UNNECESSARY NEW CONSTITUTION:A VERITABLE TIME BOMB!
- Six houses damaged in wild jumbo fury Jittery villagers live in fear
- ‘Faculty Day’ at SEUSL
- Sponsor Free Visa Lanka dropped in new Oman facility The Maldives, Bhutan on selected list
- Two killed in crash on E-03
- Indian HC launches B. Tech degree course at SIBA
- Devolution might have an adverse effect on healthcare GMOA
- Girl expelled from school NCPA to act on Police probe
- People’s plight has worsened Siriwimala Thera
- This is no fairy tale Sheree joyously waits Meeting up with biological mum and twin sis in Gampaha
- Prompt aid for disaster victims Ranil Flays Ministries for delays
- Alleged assault on protesters: Report to NPC next week
- Aloysius senior in alleged estate scam Rs 8,000 as rent for 450 acres
- New Constitution not prepared yet Ranil
- Tamil translation of proposed new Constitution Public invited to participate
- President dares critics provide solutions to devolution
- Pakistan’s press freedom not suppressed-Janjua
- President visits Vithya’s mother
- Temple of Tooth gets new mallet Gifted by ex-Japanese politician
- Govt to hold back Audit Bill Claiming AG Dept unions’ opposition
- Sampanthan and Pablo meet Prisoners, land issues raised
- Unemployment increases to 4.5% Labour force drops to 53.9%
- Government debt passes Rs 10 Trillion
- Death of Jacintha Peiris
- Sri Lanka aim to arrest slide
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ tour of the Caribbean Sri Lanka ‘A’ win by 280 runs
- Former Police ruggerite ‘Kunta’ dies
- Kandy SC beat Singapore
- Blue and Gold Hockey 7s Nalanda and Musaeus emerge champions
- Kohli scores 100 in his 200th ODI match
- Dialog Champions League Matara hold Renown to a draw
- Man Utd loss lets Man City pull away
- WEBXPAY partners with Havelock Sports Club
- Dialog spearheads ‘Play for a Cause’ to empower School Cricket
- MCA ‘B’ Division 50 –Over League Tournament 2018 Unbeaten MAS Silueta emerge champions
- Singer Trophy’ Under-13 Division I Cricket Induwara scores first double ton
- DSI Supersport Schools’ Volleyball Championship National level finals begin today
- My dream has come true: Thisara
- Thisara to lead SL T/20 team
- Blue and Gold Hockey Sevens Pre quarter-finalists found
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ lead by 370 runs
- Gozal wins singles crown
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket St. Sebastian’s take lead
- Air Force trounce Up Country Lions
- The need for a balanced National Tobacco Policy
- A sweeter path to sustainable energy
- Will Australia’s ‘miracle economy’ keep on winning?
- Rumours aside, the ‘world’s biggest IPO’ is on track
- Bring Wet Zone under the plough Only 22% get Govt drought relief WFP
- Startup success, and the new future of consumer testing
- CHINA’S ASIA VISION similar to 1945, WITH ONE DIFFERENCE MONEY Post-World War plans inspired many, but were undermined by a dire economic situation
- US business goes in to battle for cherished tax breaks Lobbyists descend on the Hill as Republicans debate eliminating popular loopholes
- OPPO to launch new Selfie Expert First full-screen device from the smartphone brand
- Advantis Engineering awarded at NCASL Construct 2017
- COMBANK UnionPay now POS-enabled
- Asian markets higher after US budget measures Kiwi dollar falls to multi-month lows
- CBSL retires Rs 8.8 B worth of MP
- US $152 M Bibile sugar investment in peril Mahaweli Authority delays eviction of land encroachers
- Philippines wary of SL-like ‘debt trap’ Vice President warns against heavy Chinese funding
- ‘Invest Sri Lanka’ at iconic NASDAQ site
- Int’l Trade Ministry should handle tea exports Exporters Rs 2 B of promotional funds misdirected by last regime Govt to remove promotional levy; TEA calls for removal of all CESSes
- Govt invests Rs 225 M to computerize Tea Auction
- Shares recover from 10-day low on Friday
- Milan Maersk docks in Colombo CICT welcomes one of the world’s largest ships
- Extremism will strengthen the devil
- Kiriella tells Dinesh ‘You’ve misled Mahanayakes’
- Concentrated wisdom Learning from others
- lateral thinking Nation’s guardians celebrate 68th Anniversary
- A Time of Gifts Starting to wind down
- Plague in Madagascar: Death toll nears 100
- Tiger Trap
- Chronic kidney diseases Pinning down ‘culprits’
- Federalism made a dirty word by politicians - Wigneswaran
- 100th Birth Anniversary Mahanama Samaraweera was a Housing Minister without a house - H.G. Sirisena
- Suicide prevention Sri Lanka has made best improvements WHO data outdated
- Namal trying hard to become a political prisoner Betrays protesters to party in Russia – Rajakaruna
- Aloysius should have been arrested-Namal Rajapaksa
- No Revenge I want to embrace all those who left us – Basil Rajapaksa
- Large Industrial Zone for Thulhiriya
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Saturn’s return to Sagittarius on Oct: 26
- SATURN TRANSITS SAGITTARIUS
- Saturn transits Sagittarius October 26 onwards crucial for offenders
- How to relieve a headache in five minutes
- Best ways to use illusion
- Kazuo Ishiguro and English diction
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – the new Nobel Laureate
- Flair for the Exotic
- OUSL wins Gold and Silver medals for the Best Practice Award
- Invitation for Project proposals
- Colombo Theatre Forum The Dramaturge
- Fairway English Creative Writing Workshop 2017
- Inspired by farms and country
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- “My greatest achievement is yet to be achieved” - Thiyasha De Fonseka
- WAXED COLOMBO
- Writer’s Kitchenette Banana Bread Cheesecake
- Was Dudley Senanayake aware of the ‘62’ coup
- Batticaloa MP Sinna Lebbe proposed Lion Flag
- The Deadliest Bombing in Somalia
- Long live Sybil!
- Pettah’s ‘Fashion Star’
- Do’s and don’ts of celebrating your child’s birthday at an orphanage