Today (12) is International Youth Day Youth, Sri Lanka’s best hope for peace – UNDP Rep
According to the Sri Lanka National Human Development Report (NHDR 2014), 68.5% of youth surveyed believed in the right to be treated equally and without discrimination, a positive indication that youth see equality as key to social integration and their role in promoting it.
However, young people today face many challenges in education, employment, sexual and reproductive health and more, which seriously undermine their ability to reach their full potential , said UN Resident Coordinator and UNDP Resident Representative Ms. Una McCauley in her International Youth Day message.
Her message : In September of last year, I had the privilege of attending an event in Galle with the then UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, to meet over 100 young Sri Lankans actively engaged in peace-building work.
Skilled young men and women, their approaches to peace building were as varied as their backgrounds but every single one of them unified in their commitment and passion, actively contributing to a peaceful and unified Sri Lanka. These young people were born and lived their early lives during conflict, terror and displacement, yet their involvement in peace building, reconciliation and post-conflict transformation is playing a part in creating a better future for us all.
As the world celebrates International Youth Day this Saturday (12 August), the theme this year : "Youth building Peace" is especially relevant for Sri Lanka.
Just over a month ago, the UN Secretary General, António Guterres appointed one such champion, Sri Lanka's own Jayathma Wickramanayake, his global Envoy for Youth. Among her impressive list of achievements, Jayathma was most recently advocating for conflict prevention at the time of her appointment.
There are many Jayathmas in Sri Lanka, committed young men and women working tirelessly for the betterment of society.
Sri Lanka's youth has always been its greatest, yet most under estimated asset.
Only 8% of schools offer GCE A/L in Science, Arts and Commerce while 20% only offer Arts and Commerce (NHDR 2014). According to the Annual Labour Force Survey of 2015, youth (15-24 years) unemployment rate stands at 20.8%. This is alarming, considering that the overall unemployment rate stands at 4.7%.The National Youth Health Survey 2013 also found that 55% of respondents were not aware of reproductive health services in their region, while suicide is considered one of the leading causes of death among adolescents and youth in Sri Lanka.
There are over 4.4 million young people in Sri Lanka with diverse needs. Young people with disabilities, HIV+ youth, young LGBTI communities, rich and poor, in rural and urban areas.
Investing in each and everyone of these 4.4 million by creating inclusive access to quality education, knowledge and skills is key in ensuring meaningful employment and livelihoods which in turn will empower and enable more youth to join their peers in working towards a more just and equitable society.
But empowerment alone is not enough.
It is our responsibility as leaders to listen to the voices of youth, to ensure they are included in decisions that often affect them in ways that decision-makers seldom imagine.
Harnessing the potential of youth is essential to achieving sustainable peace. Inclusive participation of youth in decision-making processes at all levels of governance is essential to achieving sustainable peace. Applying the resourcefulness, openness and energy of Sri Lanka's multi-cultural youth is essential to achieving sustainable peace.
Youth is indefinitely Sri Lanka's best hope at achieving durable, lasting peace.
This is why, the UN Agencies in Sri Lanka are facilitating several engagements between young people and a multitude of stakeholders, including the government, civil society, private sector and development partners through the UN Peace Building Fund.
This International Youth Day, we celebrate the tremendous contributions young people make to their communities and the world to build peaceful societies.
Let us also not fail to recommit to work with, and for, the youth of Sri Lanka – the most valuable force we have to shape a better future for us all.
- Will Legal Action be taken to recover bonds scam loss? Corruption Watchdogs express concern
- PM’s special statement on bonds scam Rs 12B PTL assets under CB control Frozen assets to be used to regain Rs 9.2B loss
- Rift between SLFP and UNP Investors feel country unstable - SLID Chairman
- Approx 60 candidates unsuited for LG
- Failure to probe financial misconduct CIABOC charges ex-CJ Mohan Peiris with corruption
- PRECIFAC Report Majority implicated are SLFPers- Amaraweera
- Revocation of excise notice lifting ban on women FR petitioners to form army Mangala signs notice re-imposing ban on Cabinet request
- Reserves down $ 484.36M to $ 7,468.22M
- Marsoof Report on Muslim Matrimonial Law ready Committee Chair awaits meeting Justice Minister to release Report
- Mixing kerosene with diesel CPC closes petrol shed in Nawala Minister Ranatunga seeks public help to catch errant shed owners
- Public help sought to identify kidnappers
- MP Ranjith de Zoysa removed from SLFP organizer post
- Nepalese Army Chief of Staff meets SLAF Commander
- Perumal blasts TNA for clinging to Govt
- Poaching Indian fishers nabbed with heroin
- UNP’s Hassen Ali crosses over
- Female representation in politics should be 50 pc - Ponnambalam
- Akkaraipattu gets 4 agri roads
- Overseas travel ban on Aluthgamage lifted
- Pakistani Army Chief says Lanka has achieved significant development
- Posting Eelam/LTTE New Year greetings Suspects re-remanded
- Rohitha’s travel ban lifted
- I & E officers’ TU action meanders on
- HC hears plaintiff’s testimony
- Breach of trust and misappropriation Arrest warrant issued on singer Rajeew Sebastian
- Sri Lanka batters fail
- Chelsea edge into FA Cup fourth round
- Missed Messi penalty cost Barca in cup derby defeat
- Neymar scores four as Cavani matches Zlatan record
- Crowd behaves badly as prankster halts play
- Sainz closes in on second Dakar title
- Kohli named ‘Cricketer of the Year’
- Kanrich ‘B’ crush Stafford Motors
- Premier League Cricket Tier A Final six matches begins today
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Ameen achieves 50 wicket milestone
- ‘Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Sebastians win by an innings
- Nayer charged under ICC anti-corruption code
- Sri Lanka Vs Bangladesh 2nd ODI Mathews under injury cloud
- Dayasiri blasts Arjuna Invites him to take over Selection Committee Invites him to take over Selection Committee
- 12th ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup SL meet Pakistan today
- FIFA World Cup in Colombo on 22 Jan
- Kerber sets up Sharapova clash
- CH bag fifth victory
- Wozniacki, Svitolina survive scares
- Afghanistan to play maiden Test at Bangalore in June
- No attempts to remove PUCSL members: Power Secretary
- Agreement with China, UN for fruit production
- Airbus Superjumbo jet’s future secured by Emirates order
- ‘Spot’ falls on political uncertainty
- Shares tumble further
- Asian shares mixed as China data comes in
- WE Have done everything possible to address Weliamuna issues: SriLankan
- China’s economy grew 6.9% in 2017, topping both official target and 2016 growth
- Indian Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad delivers Kadirgamar Lecture
- NDB’s ‘Pancha Maama’ visits Katana Pre-school
- Dialog Gaming’s Play Expo concludes successfully
- Ceylinco Life opens Green branch in Chilaw
- MBSL to host Vehicle Leasing Fair
- CTC laboratory receives ISO/IEC 17025:2005 certification
- Is bitcoin a ludicrous investment?
- Apple is pumping billions in cash back into US; a win for Trump
- Eden Resort & Spa wins Gold for third straight year
- Mohamed Riyal appointed Serendib Flour Mills CEO
- Lalith Wijetunge inducted as OPA President
- LAUGFS Lubricants Brand Ambassador triumphs
- National Prosperity Starter for turning the tide!
- Taiwan mulls Third gender option on passports, IDs
- Yemen could face famine in 2018
- Imposing Civic Liability for the Bond Scam
- With rebel ceasefire in tatters Fears of fresh displacement in Colombia –UN
- ‘Jallikattu’ Syndrome: Expression of ethnic angst
- Big brands unite to fight slavery in Asia Banks to casinos unite in fight
- Evolution of India’s Constitutional and Democratic Polity
- Overlooking the Monetary Law Act 1949 Politicization of the Central Bank
- Complete Rohingya return in two years Bangladesh agrees with Myanmar
- If given power We’ll develop country in two years -Chandrasiri Mahagamage
- Upcoming LG Elections a referendum
- No political solution for Tamil grievances in sight – Ananthy Sasitharan
- Division in SLFP main reason for UNP victory
- We don’t endorse Basil’s leadership
- National Prosperity Turning the Tide
- Disposable coffee cups:British lawmakers call for “latte levy”
- If only we could crackdown on the root causes to effect sustainable solutions Herein lies a Nation’s progress
- Planetary combines that foreshadow misfortune for father
- Pirith chants for abundant harvest
- Venus into Capricorn
- Vastu and Domestic Animals
- Yoga for Children and Adults with Disabilities
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Trump’s ‘madman’ ACT scared N. Korea to talks
- Calls for ‘revenge’ Israeli settler killed in attack
- Banning of Colombo Journal First English Newspaper
- Sri Lankan author publishes for the world
- Broadway brought to our own shores
- Celebrating the harvest