Rajitha’s personal medical bill Rs 10 M – JVP
The JVP in Parliament yesterday charged the Government was boasting of high level State medical facilities, while its own Health Minister seeks medical treatment in a foreign nation.
Chief Opposition Whip and Leader of the JVP, MP Anura Kumara Dissanayake, while moving an adjournment motion on the plight of those affected by the prevailing drought, said that affected farming families were suffering due to a lack of medicines at State Hospitals.
"Thousands of farming families are in dire need of affordable medical care but State Hospitals are ill equipped, compelling one of the most vulnerable groups of society to buy medicines from private pharmacies at excessive prices," the Chief Opposition Whip said.
Minister of Health Rajitha Seneratne: "Where are these hospitals with a shortage of medicines?"
Chief Opposition Whip: "Moneragala."
Minister Seneratne: "I will immediately conduct an investigation into the work of the director of that hospital."
Chief Opposition Whip: "The Government brags that our State Hospitals were at optimal conditions and that all laboratory services are provided free of charge. Why then are there countless numbers of private laboratories surrounding State Hospitals to analyse blood and urine? If Government hospitals have enough stocks of medicines, why are there so many private pharmacies near State Hospitals? In the past we had funeral parlours and casket houses near hospitals because hospitals didn't provide coffins for deceased patients during those times.Today we have scores of private pharmacies and laboratories providing the same services the Government claims State Hospitals provide free of charge."
At this point Minister Seneratne attempted to respond but the Chief Opposition Whip continued his tirade.
"If State Hospitals offer the best medical care, why then did the Minister withdraw Rs 10 million from the President's fund to go to Singapore to procure treatment at Mount Elizabeth Hospital? What kind of beggar is he?"
Opposition were seen shouting criticism at Minister Seneratne and Speaker Karu Jayasuriya called on the House to maintain order.
Chief Opposition Whip: "Why should I sit down? This is my allocated time. Ask the Minister to sit down. Why is he barking like a dog? While he was the Minister of Fisheries he rented the Mutwal Fisheries Harbour at an estimated Rs 1.7 million a month but he gave it away for a mere Rs 125,000 per month for 300 months. When the Bribery Commission was investigating the matter he got the President to transfer the commissioner.
He has put his brother-in-law to head the Ayurvedic Corporation. His wife is giving appointments. He is a thief. Do not make me speak more of your misdeeds. The Minister lost Parliament seat because of his business. He should worship Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe for giving him a Parliament seat through the National List.
He is the only person who lost his MP post because of his business. Ask him to sit down. Today the Health sector is in ruin. Villagers die because they do not have the money to buy medicine from private pharmacies. Farmers are suffering from Chronic Kidney disease.
- City Coroner complains to Fort Magistrate Call to probe death of Bellanwila Thera Monk was moved from CSGTH against medical advice
- Will Transitional Justice wither? Int’l community in quandary over LG polls results
- Govt now trying to postpone PC polls
- President has not consulted me yet – AG
- Govt brought in 19A to block Rajapaksas We also can change 19A – Basil
- November 2012 Welikada Prison Massacre Second eyewitness ready to come forward
- President pressed to find suitable PM Political crisis continues
- South China Sea Unmanned vessels and future operations
- Malaysia’s 2018 General Election Alternative Scenarios?
- Back to the chessboard?
- Buddhika goes to CIABOC Alleges Rs 2 B fraud in Army food tender
- Sleeping man run over by container
- SLPP felicitates winners
- Money laundering case Namal allowed foreign travel
- Kuwait MP says expats are ‘opportunistic bacteria’ Al-Hashim blames traffic congestion and pollution on foreigners
- SL’s 70th Independence celebrated in S Korea
- Prez summons Ministry Secys All official duties to continue
- Rosy writes to Mahinda Deshapriya Wants 25% female quota implemented urgently
- Aloysius and Palisena denied bail Notice issued to Mahendran to appear before CID by 8th March
- Women NGOs write to EC Chair We expected ‘confusion’ over 25% rep Goonasekera
- One killed in shooting Assailant assaulted to death
- Bid to apprehend Weeratunga Marapana to leave for UAE Fugitive ex-envoy prevented from leaving
- Appointment of new PM Prez to consult AG and senior PCs
- Govt to continue as per Constitution – Ranil
- Inter-Korean collaboration Money, lies, and pleasure squads
- Strategic plans worked well – Hathurusinghe
- Jayamanna scores double ton
- Royal win Frank Gunasekara Shield
- Nalanda run out of time
- 16 teams qualify to pre quarters
- Pre-quarter finalists found
- Sirimavo Bandaranaike, Piliyandala Central emerge champions
- CR in dashing form crush CH
- Election commission rejects votes of athletes’ commission
- So easy for Kandy SC
- Tamim returns to boost hosts
- Royal win Inaugural ‘Alles-Gunasekara’ Encounter
- Didn’t take Bangladesh for granted - Gunathilaka
- Kandy SC should have it easy
- Jayamanna scores unbeaten ton
- Navy SC fight hard to win
- Bhanuka and Lahiru in unbroken stand of 251
- Lionel, Nilani eye title at Cross Country
- Army SC can topple Havies
- New Kids on Big Match stage
- Sri Lanka has already missed ‘three buses’ in digitalization: Dialog CEO
- CBSL to raise Rs 30B to pay maturing debt
- ADB lends $ 75M to strengthen Sri Lanka SMEs
- Tea Board Chairman submits resignation
- Singapore FTA no game changer: Verite
- Solid Waste Management - global issue
- NDB partners with United Motors for vehicle leasing
- HNB recognized at IFM Awards 2017 for microfinance innovation
- zMessenger nominated at Festival of Media APAC Awards 2018
- Sunquick consumers drink and win again
- Grabbing a bigger slice of the FDI pie
- ABANS LAUNCHES BEATS HEADPHONES IN SL
- SLT opens contact centre in Bandarawela
- William Angliss Institute graduates felicitated
- ‘If Chrysotile fibre is harmful, Government must prove it’ Arecanut is also in WHO banned list, but still legal in SL: Fibre Cement Product Manufacturers’ Association
- Housing a priority in Govt’s development effort
- Singer posts over Rs 1B sales of Huawei smartphones monthly
- Nippon Paint holds AYDA 2017 for young designers
- Mobitel named fastest mobile network in Sri Lanka by Ookla
- TEA PRICES, ONLY ONE METRIC OF RPC SUCCESSes
- INTERPOL REFUSES TO DELIVER SUMMONS TO MAHENDRAN ARREST WARRANT TO BE SOUGHT AFTER MARCH 8 IF…
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Oxfam Scandal Funding fears may drive charities to hide offences
- Prof Bellanwila Wimalarathana Thera’s demise Call for probe as questions remain in limbo
- Colombo’s construction frenzy Lack of policies and awareness a major issue
- I take full responsibility for the results delay Deshapriya speaks out
- Concretes & Abstracts Visionary sans apostles
- UNP’s future at stake Defeat at the recent LG polls renews calls for reform
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Law and order is quite weak
- I will continue Gota’s legacy - Milinda Rajapaksha
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep