Using her influence wisely
The Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network will recognize the 21-year-old at a gala ceremony next month. The organization known as GLSEN is calling Zendaya a game-changer.
GLSEN says it will recognize the 21-year-old entertainer with its Gamechanger Award at a gala ceremony next month. The executive director of GLSEN says the award was created to spotlight the next generation of leaders, and Zendaya was chosen for her commitment to social justice.
The star of Spider-Man: Homecoming and TV's K.C. Undercover used her acceptance speech at last month's Teen Choice Awards to call on young people to become engaged with current events and to speak up for what they think is right.
Zendaya will receive the Gamechanger recognition on 20 October at the 2017 GLSEN Respect Awards in Beverly Hills, California.
Zendaya has achieved more than we'll probably get round to by the time we're 50, and she's only just 21. The singer, actor, designer and activist has been in the spotlight since 2010, though firmly brushes off those 'child actor' stereotypes.
Clearly aware of her influence over teens and young girls, she takes her position as role model seriously, using her social media platforms to call out fat-shamers and sexist behaviour.
So, perhaps it isn't too surprising to see that Zendaya wasn't downing shots on her recent 21st birthday. In fact, on 1 September, Zendaya released a statement on her website explaining why she's not looking to taking up drinking any time soon.
She said: "Today I turn 21! Holla!!! But just because I'm now the legal drinking age, doesn't mean I'm going to start throwing 'em back. I don't plan to start drinking. My life is too stressful to need help with relaxing by having a cocktail.
This industry is way too nuts for me to not be in control of myself and my decisions, so I just don't want to introduce drinking! Plus, I don't want drinking to become a vice. Why try something if you don't need it?!
The star also she proved she wasn't only wise, but generous too. For her Birthday she asked her fans to donate to the victims of Hurricane Harvey through a project between herself and Convoy of Hope.
Zendaya is obviously aware of what a positive impact she can have over women, regularly posting love advice and more on her website.
(Source: Billboard.com, elleuk.com)
Ministry Secretaries should be appointed on Best interest of Public not Minister Lethargy blocking change
- ‘A prisoner in Indian jail on Eelam soil’
- Sagala vows to crush Aava group Police deployed in full strength
- Politico’s son-in-law in school frock drama Teacher threatened after student is reprimanded
- Lanka alarmed over increased smuggling of ‘KG’
- SC to hear Tangalle ASP assault case
- 656 kg Glyphosate nabbed
- FPTP opens gate for undesirables, warns Amunugama
- EC to issue nomination notice on 27th
- NPC Education Minister shuns national flag Sarveshwaran was Chief Guest at school event
- Geological changes in Jaffna – Academics
- Violence against children World Vision launches campaign
- Females from soldier families on SLPP list
- JO goes to CIABOC against five COPE members
- Warrant issued on Jaliya Wickramasuriya For failure to appear in court
- Appuhamy admits to communicating with Aloysius Denies wrongdoing
- Gota’s objections thrown out Avant Garde case to go ahead
- JVP to team up with the devil! Vows to defeat LG polls gazette case
- UNP and JO in ‘secret deal’ to tarnish SLFP – Dayasiri
- CID evidence on COPE members and Aloysius JO urges Speaker to investigate
- An Inconsistent US Assertive China and Asia’s Hobbesian Order
- Jorge Sharp and Citizen Movements:New Momentum for Chilean Left?
- Zimbabwe’s Tailspin: The Lessons for Africa
- Lankan family facing deportation due to MS diagnosis
- Malaysian security forces in SL Undergo sea combat training
- Customs nabs man with gold jewellery
- HNB clinch two titles
- Nadal wins defamation case
- One-legged footballer melts hearts
- Paine handed shock recall for Australia
- Italy's stars fall back to earth in Serie A
- 20th Army Para Athletic Meet 700 Servicemen and 5 Koreans in the fray 2 Korean Olympians provide international flavour
- 47 successful at AASL Technical Officers exam
- England’s May up to speed for Wallabies
- MCA Premier League 2018 MAS and DIMO into Semis
- 34th MBA Inter-Firm Team Badminton Championships 2017 McLarens Group are overall champions
- Fourteen teams for beach tag rugby
- CH in vigorous win over CR
- Havies up against tough Navy SC
- Pujara holds on as India struggle
- Waruna off to Finland
- Sevens players given SLR contracts 20 men and 16 women players will be signed on starting November
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Sanjula gets 150 runs
- Lakmal rattles India on rain-hit day
- Curious case of Sri Lanka Winter Sports Association
- Inter Club Rugby League Tournament CR clash with arch rivals CH today
- Asian Markets Rise As Risk Appetite Improves
- Singapore suspends trade ties with North Korea
- House Republicans pass $1.4Tn Tax Overhaul bill
- The world’s largest automaker is putting big money into electric vehicles in China
- Emotional toll of diabetes 'needs more recognition'
- Could buying paintings make you rich?
- Walmart helps to lift US markets
- $7.5 million Schumacher Ferrari sets record: Sotheby's
- Norway's state fund ‘needs to drop oil and gas investments'
- Japan railway 'deeply sorry' after train leaves 20 seconds early
- Creditors rule Venezuela state oil firm PDVSA in default
- Asia Property Awards in Singapore Capital TRUST Residencies wins Best Condo in SL
- Lanka IOC reports losses for 3rd consecutive quarter
- Airtel and Google debut online purchasing in SL
- AIA Insurance Lanka revenue up 17% in Q3
- Full day of CSE trading from Disaster Recovery site
- Introducing Mars to agriculture
- How an oil giant came to dominate wheat
- Asian Shares Higher Ahead Of US Tax Vote
- Going green needs defined regulations to go forward
- Remembering ‘Dictionary Johnson’
- Budgetary design of blue green enterprise
- A Time of Gifts Different Perspectives
- We were forced to work like animals
- Enjoying the bounty and giving thanks
- BREXIT Impact on free movement of people
- Padmavati triggers stir in Bollywood
- Military burning houses Rohingya refugees flee to Bangladesh
- Rice Revolution Role of Dairy Centres
- Pollution in India: 2.5 million people killed in 2015
- There is no journey with the UNP
- Core values of the UNP are eroding - Pradeep Jayewardene
- UN compensation for Kuwait workers Rs 3.2 B on migrant worker welfare
- Professor Matteo Legrenzi says: Gulf States are not keen on all-out war
- I regret the inconvenience caused to the public
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Astrological remedies for Agriculture
- Unintentional Murder and law
- An Idyl in South India
- GRANDMA’S HAIR GROWTH OIL
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Vibrancy of classical Sinhala poetry
- Gazing at the 'gems' of Sri Lanka
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Man who rebelled against the British
- Rohingya kids fill void of parents
- Looking back at Sri Lanka Police