Sri Lankan Awarded Highest Us Defence Security Accolade
A Sri Lankan Associate Professor of Information Technology employed in the United States, has been bestowed the highest academic honour in the arena of Defence, Security and Intelligence and becomes the first and only Sri Lankan to achieve this landmark.
The accolade was presented to him on
April 8, 2017.
Samanga Amarasinghe, (40) currently Adjunct Associate Professor of Information Technology of the Bellevue University, Nebraska, USA and a distinguished alumnus of Trinity College, Kandy was elected as an honoured member of the much coveted Order of the Sword and Shield International Honours Society on April 8.
The motto of his work has been Ex Scientia Pax - "Out of knowledge comes peace."
"It is not who I am today, but it is all about what I give back through what I have accomplished," a jubilant Amarasinghe told Ceylon Today recently.
The Order of the Sword and the Shield is the first and only academic and professional Honour Society dedicated exclusively to homeland security, intelligence, emergency management, and all protective security disciplines. The mission of the Society is to promote critical thinking, high scholarship and professional development; to further enhance the ethical standards of the protective security professions; and to cultivate a high order of personal living.
Amarasinghe also said that it was the two publications he wrote that won him the highest US accolade.
His two publications are: Independence to Freedom (Published in 2011) and American National Security and Foreign Policy from an International Perspective (Published in 2016).
He holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Military History (2002 – 2010) of Bellevue University and is a Deans Scholar Student and a Master of Arts in Political Leadership (2010-2012) of Bellevue University having graduated with Honours.
He is now reading for his PhD in Public Policy Administration and Terrorism Mediation and Peace at the Walden University, Minnesota USA.
Contradicted and corrected - Obama's immigration policy
One of the major career landmarks that Amarasinghe has achieved in his life is that he has even contradicted former US President Barack Obama's Immigration Policy.
"President Obama never admitted that he was wrong but he made the requisite amendments of the regulations to it," chuckled Amarasinghe.
What Amarasinghe had effectively told the former US President was that legal immigrants and illegal immigrants were separate and not to mix the two. He also told Obama not to legalize illegal immigrants.
Explaining the issue, Amarasinghe said: "The issue of migration has been a modern debate in American public agenda. Each US President from John F. Kennedy onwards has successively attempted various solutions in addressing this issue. In addressing migration, the American agenda is concerned about illegal emigrants that come to the US through illegal means such as crossing the border from Mexico or arriving by boat from Cuba and settling in the US without proper legal documentations that make them legal." According to Amarasinghe, unlike in the South East the US operates primarily with the individuals' Social Security number - a number given when legally entering the nation. Whether it may be to attend a school, open a bank account, start a mortgage for a house or to obtain a driver's license this number plays a vital role. The advantage of this social security number comes when one is past the age of 65. Having contributed to the programme earlier it provides the elderly with a means of income in accordance with what they put in.
Amarasinghe went on "Additionally under health and human services the US provided various programmes using the Social Security system for its populous going through a tough time having trouble financially in providing for their families. These programmess maintained by the Federal and State governments provided a family in need with ample financial and/or food incentives to hold on until they are able to come out of the crisis they are in. Now, according to the emigration issue most of the illegal emigrants who come to the US come with no trade or literary qualifications; some even do not speak nor can they read or write in English."
Thus these illegal emigrants heavily forge documents such as Social Security cards and obtain fake driver's licenses to sustain themselves in the nation as they have no other means of doing so without trade or academic qualifications. It is with this segment that the issue of illegal emigration becomes an issue to be addressed in every presidential election. President Obama, coming to power on January 20th 2009 as the 44th President of the US, being elected through a large minority vote, as part of his agenda wanted to implement an emigration policy where it would allow these illegal emigrants to be legalized.
"While many democrats agreed with the issue, myself once having been a legal immigrant, I knew clearly what it would mean for the nation's poli-socio-economic balance if this plan was deployed as it was. Thus, I having done some research and having uprooted the existing five methods of arriving in the US legally realized some methods such as the Green Card Lottery to be a easy way of getting through with minimum technology and knowledge since all it takes is a picture from a smart phone and a short application. Then considering all the information and adding my experience as a legal immigrant who climbed the ladder in becoming a professor as well as having achieved resident status of the US, I started a campaign with the Republicans to veto the Bill proposed by President Obama."
Amarasinghe explained further, "To start I sent a letter explaining all the pros and cons of his agenda.
To my surprise in the first note he replied and then establishing a relationship with the First Person of the US I was able to add some additional clauses and quotes to filter who came to the US and how to really track them and keep from causing mischief."
"While the Bill was eventually turned down despite President Obama's best efforts like his efforts to introduce the Obama Care Health Bill, the attempt was worthwhile to make sure the checks and balances of the American system still stood strong," Amarasinghe remarked.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- No free passes to prison hospital in future 1092
- Appoint honourable trustees to govern! 3262
- Nabbed with Kerala Ganja 3116
- Dengue eradication week on MoH deploys 3,000 teams this time 3418
- Badulla gets clean drinking water 3125
- Boost imports to grow – Harsha 3129
- Govt expects to generate Rs 103.8B from tobacco tax 3171
- British HC in C’bo celebrates Britain’s creative industries 3173
- Zoo to open at night 3120
- Anti-SAITM protests GMOA at it again! 3131
- CEB strike ends 3128
- Ranil May Implement Ease Of Doing Business Act 3124
- LG and PC polls before 31 March 2018 – PM 3113
- PC Elections Bill Party leaders decide to go ahead Amendments need not be reviewed – Speaker 3114
- President Sirisena meets Pakistani PM Expresses gratitude for support 3109
- Treasury Bonds Auction probe Mahendran not outside law of country – PCoI 3113
- 3rd stage of the Central Expressway project Signing with Taisei Corporation next week 3109
- Treasury Bonds Auction probe Cross Examination of Mahendran delayed Oral testimony inadequate material documentary evidence sought 3114
- Implementing UN Resolutions President urges Intl Community to be patient 3183
- AG probes SLLRDC tender process Irregularities running into billions 3113
- Sil Cloth case Weeratunga, Palpita out on bail 3111
- UN General Assembly Trump Warns ‘Rocket Man’ of Pyongyang 3112
- Today is Int’l Day of Peace 1178
- LG and PC polls next year – PM 3801
- Reactions to Suu Kyi’s speech 3813
- WIKIPEDIA AND the INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER OF UK HIGHLIGHTS NOSTRADAMUS’S 11 SHOCKINGLY ACCURATE PREDICTIONS 3048
- The privatization panacea 3026
- National Economy Rice Cultivation in a National Master Plan 3034
- Anti-SAITM forces and the rule of law 3106
- The March of Folly Promoting Amity, 15 years late 2840
- Sri Lanka secure World Cup berth 3025
- ‘Prima Champions Cup’ U-15 Inter Provincial Cricket Chamindu makes first ton of tournament 3029
- Rain threatens second ODI 3032
- Singer – MCA Premier League 2018 Udawatte ton helps MAS 3028
- Not in a bad place with my captaincy: Smith 3031
- Muguruza crushes Puig to advance in Tokyo 3027
- All rounder Boyagoda leads Trinity 3016
- New Head Quarters for ACUSL 3014
- City, United seize title spotlight 3012
- Sri Lanka schools mini marathons Second edition on 23 September 3014
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3158
- Big Ivan – Russia’s Bang! 2327
- Sri Lanka is a stable country now 2805
- Heading Hybrid Renewable Energy Lights Up Eluvaithivu Island 2919
- ‘Capacity To Pay’, ‘Ability To Pay’ Govt’s New Rates Question Tax Principles 3650
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 2738
- We are making plans to topple the Government 3786
- We will not support the 20th Amendment – Suresh Premachandran 3115
- Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done 2914
- SF’s vitriolic attack on Bhikkhus prompts Ven. Gunawansa’s foray into politics 4036
- Consumer durable market to recover in 2018 1Q – Singer 3137
- Fitch affirms Alliance Finance at BB+(lka); Withdraws ratings 3113
- Fitch rates LB Finance PLC’s senior and subordinated debt 3115
- Chevron props economic growth through exports to Pakistan 3127
- Fitch rates Sampath Bank’s Basel III Sub Debt ‘A(lka) (EXP) 3115
- Elephant House launches Lemoki 3128
- LMD names TRIAD ‘Most Respected Advertising Company’ 3105
- Maggi noodles now with enhanced flavours 3106
- Russia’s interesting new oil geopolitics 3108
- Fed pressing button to unwind quantitative easing 3103
- Executing an Executive order 2744
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2551
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3589
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2484
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2482
- best workout songs 1823
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1943
- Cosplayer fame 2197
- Astrological clue to the nature of your progeny 2416
- Vasu Defects that Affect Business Places 2405
- Venus the planet of love 2407
- Egypt before Pharaohs: When Gods ruled the Earth 2379
- Omens connected with muscle twitching 2368
- Body of the Text 3077
- Academic approaches to peace building and reconciliation 3091
- Insights into the life of remarkable missionary 3122
- Theatre Critics 3047
- Jaffna International Cinema Festival 2017 (JaffnaICF 2017) 3067
- Grammar through Literature and A Thousand Voiced Choir 3046
- Healing the wounded hearts 3050
- Labour power discourse in cinema 3329
- Animals in thirst 2727
- Enhancing life to the very end 2745
- Hearts break in silence 2733
- Awards for alumni at ‘the best school of all’ 2709
- Blue sky in warm champagne 2704
- A will of steel 2702
- Neural engines: the future of AI 2395
- CLOSING SOME WINDOWS 2392
- Celebrating 23 years 2395
- Dahl’s Twisted, Overlooked Stories for Adults 2375
- Powerful voices and musical talent 2374
- The business of fandom 2388