How can I contest from the Lotus bud?
By Prageeth Sampath
UPFA Kalutara District MP Kumara Welgama admitted in an interview with Ceylon Today that certain wrongdoings took place during the Mahinda Rajapaksa regime. "That is why the minorities distanced themselves from us. The reason for our defeat was that we did not receive Muslim votes. Certain injustice was done to them. Therefore, we did not receive even two per cent of the Muslim votes. That is the truth."
Excerpts of the interview;
? Why didn't you attend the Sri Lanka Freedom Party Convention?
A: We did not get an invitation.
? The General Secretary of the SLFP said that everyone was sent an invitation
A: Even though he said that, we did not receive an invitation.
? You did not attend the conference for two years?
? Why, have you been cornered?
A: There is nothing like that. I am a strong member of the SLFP. I am a senior organizer in the party. I am the Deputy Chairman of the Central Committee. However, this time I did not receive an invitation.
? Has this happened before?
A: No. Previously, we received invitations. I will express my views regarding this, when I go to the Central Committee. Even though I am a long-standing SLFP member, I did not receive an invitation for the last two meetings of the Central Committee.
? Is this because you point out the faults of the SLFP?
A: I do not know about that. You have to ask them about it.
? What is the reason for this?
A: I looked into it. There are five members of the Joint Opposition in the Central Committee. The others do not go. Only I go for the Central Committee meetings. Now, even I do not get invited for those, either. I inquired about it.
? Did you inquire into it or did you ask them?
A: I tried to contact Duminda Dissanayake. He did not come to the phone. I spoke to one of his security officers, but I was unable to get through. Later on, I spoke to Mahinda Amaraweera. He said that he was the General Secretary of the Alliance and did not know anything about it.
? You created a new party while being in the SLFP and criticized the SLFP. Didn't Mahinda Amaraweera tell you to leave the party if you didn't like it?
A: Even though he said that, I did not even receive an invitation.
? Mahinda Amaraweera has alleged that you are sitting on the fence and trying to destroy the party. Is this true?
A: No. I love the SLFP. We are not sitting on the fence. We are clean members of the SLFP. Not only party members but the entire country is aware of that. They are the ones who are sitting on the fence. They have one foot in the SLFP and the other foot in the UNP.
? The proper policy of the SLFP is the Bandaranaike Policy and it is being protected by the SLFP. They are saying that the JO is engaged in destroying Bandaranaike Policies. Is this true?
A: S.W.R.D. Bandaranaike crossed over to the Opposition in 1952, because he did not like the policies of the UNP, D.A. Rajapaksa followed him. If you were to talk about party policies, Sirimavo Bandaranaike also condemned the policies of the UNP. It was because of the policies of the UNP that Sirimavo Bandaranaike's civic rights were removed. So, why has the SLFP got together with a party that does not have a policy and without protecting the Bandaranaike policies? Amaraweera has joined the UNP and is protecting the UNP policies. It was the members of the SLFP who went and leaned on the UNP Government. If not will our people who got 42, go and lean against the UNP which obtained 105? The UNP did not come and lean on the SLFP. It was the SLFP which went and leaned on the UNP. So, how can there be Bandaranaike policies there?
? The two parties got together to form a Government. They handled the pressure from the international community very well. That is what the President mentioned at the 66th Convention.
A: That is a lie. The Government asked them to carry out an investigation into the alleged war crimes committed by the Army. They did not defend the country. They tried to attack the Rajapaksa regime. The citizens of this country will not believe this story.
? Is there a disciplinary inquiry against you and the group?
A: No, not yet. We saw it in the media. Not even a letter has been sent, so far.
? Are they talking about a disciplinary inquiry?
A: I don't know, but there were some articles about this in the newspapers.
? Minister Rajitha Senaratne stated that he got fed up of the Rajapaksa regime due to the fact that they were inciting hatred and promoting racism. He also stated that this was the reason why he left the party. Is this true?
A: We accept the fact that certain blunders happened during the time of Mahinda Rajapaksa. That is why the minorities distanced themselves from us. We lost because we did not receive Muslim votes. There were certain injustices and we did not receive even two per cent of the Muslim votes. That is the truth.
Our Government carried out massive development work. The war ended during our time. Such good activities and things that were good for the country were carried out. In the meantime, there were certain small shortcomings and blunders that occurred. As a result, we did not receive the votes of the minorities and we lost the election.
? The problem of General Jagath Jayasuriya is not connected to the war. There is an accusation that the JO is spreading rumours throughout the country. What have you got to say about that?
A: Jagath Jayasuriya was a former Army Commander. Since he participated in this war he is being targeted with accusations. At this juncture, we need to work together and not discriminate against people based on their religion and ethnicity.
? The President promised to protect war heroes. When this is the case, why are false rumours being spread all over the country?
A: We did not spread false rumours. It is because the war ended that we are freely able to travel on the road. They are able to govern freely. How many terrorists targeted Maithripala Sirisena? At the same time, Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga lost an eye. Gamini Dissanayake and Lalith Athulathmudali were killed. The citizens lived in fear. People were killed. Small children were killed. Buddhist monks were hacked to death. The war heroes, who rid this country of such a ruthless terrorist outfit, should be protected. We need to speak up and defend them. At the same time, most of the people do not accept what Sarath Fonseka said. I do not accept it either.
? How many individuals from the JO will join the Government?
A: No one.
? Is this what they said?
A: The Government is daydreaming.
? Even the JO is the same!
? From time to time, you keep mentioning that SLFP members are going to join the JO? Can you please elaborate on this?
A: Yes. Even though the 66th Anniversary Conference was held and a large number attended, most of them will join us. None of our members will go like that. Who will climb into a sinking ship for goodness' sake? Even the rats are deserting them. No one will climb into this. However, I am sure that they will cross over to this side.
? The Local Government Elections/Provincial Councils Elections will be held soon. Are you going to contest under the 'hand' symbol or the flower bud?
A: I will not contest under the flower bud. I am a pure SLFPer. So, how can I contest under the flower bud?
? Many believe that the JO will contest under the flower bud. Is this true?
A: There is a party that has been formed under the flower bud symbol. The SLFP has lost its way due to the blunders of this Government. A party has been established on behalf of those who are there and for the development of the country. I can see that, that party is developing rapidly.
? Will you join the new party?
A: How can I join the new party? I am a SLFPer.
? Are they attempting to chase you away from the SLFP?
A: We will talk about that at that time. It has not happened. Even though there are articles about this in the newspapers, no such thing has occurred.
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- No free passes to prison hospital in future 1092
- Appoint honourable trustees to govern! 3262
- Nabbed with Kerala Ganja 3116
- Dengue eradication week on MoH deploys 3,000 teams this time 3418
- Badulla gets clean drinking water 3125
- Boost imports to grow – Harsha 3129
- Govt expects to generate Rs 103.8B from tobacco tax 3173
- British HC in C’bo celebrates Britain’s creative industries 3173
- Zoo to open at night 3120
- Anti-SAITM protests GMOA at it again! 3131
- CEB strike ends 3128
- Ranil May Implement Ease Of Doing Business Act 3124
- LG and PC polls before 31 March 2018 – PM 3113
- PC Elections Bill Party leaders decide to go ahead Amendments need not be reviewed – Speaker 3114
- President Sirisena meets Pakistani PM Expresses gratitude for support 3109
- Treasury Bonds Auction probe Mahendran not outside law of country – PCoI 3113
- 3rd stage of the Central Expressway project Signing with Taisei Corporation next week 3109
- Treasury Bonds Auction probe Cross Examination of Mahendran delayed Oral testimony inadequate material documentary evidence sought 3114
- Implementing UN Resolutions President urges Intl Community to be patient 3183
- AG probes SLLRDC tender process Irregularities running into billions 3113
- Sil Cloth case Weeratunga, Palpita out on bail 3111
- UN General Assembly Trump Warns ‘Rocket Man’ of Pyongyang 3112
- Today is Int’l Day of Peace 1178
- LG and PC polls next year – PM 3801
- Reactions to Suu Kyi’s speech 3813
- WIKIPEDIA AND the INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER OF UK HIGHLIGHTS NOSTRADAMUS’S 11 SHOCKINGLY ACCURATE PREDICTIONS 3048
- The privatization panacea 3026
- National Economy Rice Cultivation in a National Master Plan 3034
- Anti-SAITM forces and the rule of law 3106
- The March of Folly Promoting Amity, 15 years late 2840
- Sri Lanka secure World Cup berth 3025
- ‘Prima Champions Cup’ U-15 Inter Provincial Cricket Chamindu makes first ton of tournament 3029
- Rain threatens second ODI 3032
- Singer – MCA Premier League 2018 Udawatte ton helps MAS 3028
- Not in a bad place with my captaincy: Smith 3031
- Muguruza crushes Puig to advance in Tokyo 3027
- All rounder Boyagoda leads Trinity 3016
- New Head Quarters for ACUSL 3014
- City, United seize title spotlight 3012
- Sri Lanka schools mini marathons Second edition on 23 September 3014
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3158
- Big Ivan – Russia’s Bang! 2327
- Sri Lanka is a stable country now 2805
- Heading Hybrid Renewable Energy Lights Up Eluvaithivu Island 2919
- ‘Capacity To Pay’, ‘Ability To Pay’ Govt’s New Rates Question Tax Principles 3650
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 2738
- We are making plans to topple the Government 3786
- We will not support the 20th Amendment – Suresh Premachandran 3115
- Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done 2914
- SF’s vitriolic attack on Bhikkhus prompts Ven. Gunawansa’s foray into politics 4036
- Consumer durable market to recover in 2018 1Q – Singer 3137
- Fitch affirms Alliance Finance at BB+(lka); Withdraws ratings 3113
- Fitch rates LB Finance PLC’s senior and subordinated debt 3115
- Chevron props economic growth through exports to Pakistan 3127
- Fitch rates Sampath Bank’s Basel III Sub Debt ‘A(lka) (EXP) 3115
- Elephant House launches Lemoki 3128
- LMD names TRIAD ‘Most Respected Advertising Company’ 3105
- Maggi noodles now with enhanced flavours 3106
- Russia’s interesting new oil geopolitics 3108
- Fed pressing button to unwind quantitative easing 3103
- Executing an Executive order 2744
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2551
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3589
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2484
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2482
- best workout songs 1823
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1943
- Cosplayer fame 2197
- Astrological clue to the nature of your progeny 2416
- Vasu Defects that Affect Business Places 2405
- Venus the planet of love 2407
- Egypt before Pharaohs: When Gods ruled the Earth 2379
- Omens connected with muscle twitching 2368
- Body of the Text 3077
- Academic approaches to peace building and reconciliation 3091
- Insights into the life of remarkable missionary 3122
- Theatre Critics 3047
- Jaffna International Cinema Festival 2017 (JaffnaICF 2017) 3067
- Grammar through Literature and A Thousand Voiced Choir 3046
- Healing the wounded hearts 3050
- Labour power discourse in cinema 3329
- Animals in thirst 2727
- Enhancing life to the very end 2745
- Hearts break in silence 2733
- Awards for alumni at ‘the best school of all’ 2709
- Blue sky in warm champagne 2704
- A will of steel 2702
- Neural engines: the future of AI 2395
- CLOSING SOME WINDOWS 2392
- Celebrating 23 years 2395
- Dahl’s Twisted, Overlooked Stories for Adults 2375
- Powerful voices and musical talent 2374
- The business of fandom 2388