Du Plessis to lead South Africa in all formats
(AFP) South Africa Test captain Faf du Plessis was on Monday named as the country's one-day international skipper to add to his leadership roles in Test and Twenty20 internationals.
Du Plessis, who is in Lahore this week to lead a World XI in three T20 internationals against Pakistan, takes over from AB de Villiers.
De Villiers announced recently that he was stepping down from the ODI captaincy despite an earlier stated ambition to lead South Africa to the 2019 World Cup.
"Congratulations to Faf on his appointment as the natural successor to the ODI leadership," CSA Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said in a statement.
"He has established himself as one of the best leaders in world cricket and this was reflected in his appointment as the captain for the World XI currently engaged in the T20 Series against Pakistan."
Du Plessis has forged a strong captaincy record after initially being appointed only to the T20 role in 2012.
He was named full-time Test captain last year after De Villiers decided to take a break from the longest cricket format after missing two series because of injury.
Du Plessis led South Africa to series wins against New Zealand (twice), Australia and Sri Lanka before South Africa were beaten in a recent series in England.
He also captained South Africa to a 5-0 ODI sweep against Australia while De Villiers was injured.
South Africa's next international engagement is at home against Bangladesh, who will play two Tests, starting on 28 September, followed by three ODIs and two T20 internationals.
Fast bowler Dale Steyn, who has not played any cricket since suffering a broken shoulder in a Test in Australia last November, could make his international return in the Test series.
He is planning to play for the Titans franchise in a first-class match next week after a long period of rehabilitation.
Steyn needs five wickets to overtake Shaun Pollock's South African Test record of 421.
Bangladesh will be without star all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan in the Tests after he requested a break from the longest format.
- Bellanwila Chief Prelate’s Death Police await JSC report to probe Coroner’s complaint Samaraweera insists on immediate action
- UN’s Resident Coordinator Una McCauley no more
- EP Women LG membership hopefuls harassed
- Bank of Maldives soon in Colombo
- Male’s NCTC says 50 Maldivians in ISIS Two nabbed at BIA recently
- Having PC polls on PR system discussed
- Police arrest 2,500 in pre-dawn swoop
- Lanka ready to take in ‘failed’ asylum seekers
- Washington Must Rethink Policy on North Korea
- Commitments made to International community Government must be held accountable - Sampanthan
- Lankan worker in KSA named in employer’s will Rewarded for services 22 years later
- Chinese New Year from 1 to 4 March Independence Square Arcade lights up from 6 p.m. to 10p.m.
- SAITM u’grads write to President Pleased with enrolment to KDU
- Journalist Joe Seneviratne’s funeral today
- President scheduled to visit Delhi Will attend ISA conference and solar summit
- Hospital ship USNS Mercy arrives in Sri Lanka Humanitarian and disaster preparedness mission
- Diyatalawa bus explosion Army appoints CoI
- Divi Neguma case in June
- CIABOC driver nabbed with heroin
- SriLankan Unions form Alliance For sustainability
- Baby jumbo possession sans license Magistrate Gamage’s bail condition relaxed
- Drug lord D. Manju killed in shooting
- Amnesty Int’l charges SL backsliding on HR commitments
- Seeking release from Avant-Garde case Gota files revision petition
- Child porn on Whatsapp racket India’s CBI to write to SL
- Kandy SC hold edge over Navy SC
- Million rupee donation for PSJASL
- Sanadru scores 100 not out
- Four teams advance to quarters
- Australians in front against South Africa A
- Thurstan finish on top
- Sharma set to lead in Sri Lanka
- Christ King beat Loyola by 184 runs
- Kavindu, Shermila clocks fastest 200m times
- 1500 athletes participating
- Irfan, Sangakkara fashion Multan win
- Hundred men to cycle 445.9 Km
- FIFA trusts Russia for safe World Cup
- Tiafoe topples del Potro in Delray Beach
- League Starts today
- Wenger vows to attack Man City in final
- Kenya captain, coach and board president resign
- Aitken Spence regain archery crown
- D.S. Senanayake and Mahinda in final
- Cummins, Hazlewood in pace blitz
- SL apparel exports hit US$ 5B, highest ever Exports to EU increase by 27.2% after GSP+ reinstatement
- Hambantota Port takes quantum leap, expands services
- Coal imports hit US$ 261.5 million for 2017
- EasyHotel to raise £ 50M for budget hotel expansions
- Corruption Perception Index Sri Lanka improves 4 points to rank 91 Journalists continue to die for the truth in corrupt nations
- Government Securities Market NFOs top $61.39M
- South Asian Micro-Entrepreneurs to host microfinance conference
- Women earn up to 43% less at Barclays
- National Chamber one-day workshop ‘HR- Driving force in an organization’
- CIM Sri Lanka to host networking event for 2018
- NDB Wealth sponsors 2017 Sri Lanka National Junior Golf Ranking Awards
- Ceylinco General Insurance records excellent results in 2017
- HNB launches Gateway Student Savings Unit
- Nestlé delivers Rs 37.6 billion sales in 2017
- Commercial Bank ends 2017 on strong footing
- Sri Lanka Ports Authority records Rs 13B in Profit Before Tax for 2017
- COLOMBO CITY CENTRE BAGS ASIA’S BRANDS & LEADERS AWARDS 2017
- Renault celebrates 120 years
- Pumping fuel with NTB American Express and win iPhone X devices
- Softlogic Properties promotes Everest Apartments
- Concretes & Abstracts Shuffling the pack or packing the shuffle?
- Government legal Speaker
- CONSTITUTION ON REMOVAL OF PM
- Where there is no vision, there is no hope
- Pursuing Peace Subverting Government through foreign funding
- For women candidates Battle is far from over
- Who really understands their anguish as they cry out...Where are they? Office of Missing Persons is yet to be made operational
- Tree planting goes hi-tech with Thuru
- Komaali Kings Breathing life into Lankan Tamil cinema
- Creating rain where there is none Artificial rain generation to tackle droughts
- Yameen is ‘cleaning up’ decades of elite rule – Maldives Envoy
- Masses are more politically literate than politicians
- Gota is Lankan Putin – Gammanpila
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- Planetary combinations that nullify Arishta yogas
- Saraswathie –Consort of Maha Brahma
- Autobiography: Lighthouse of the Impossible Beyond conditioned mind and world
- Kitchen should be properly planned
- 7th House foretells nature of marriage
- K. S. Sivakumaran’s On Films Seen
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Anger in NE Nigeria over Boko Haram ‘abduction’ response
- Macerata, Italy’s reluctant immigration battleground
- How Dudley’s 30-day Govt got defeated