National interests over global interests Sisyphus, Cerberus and the new world order
with Ravi Ladduwahetty
Indeed, Russia and the U.S. were allies during the two tragic conflicts of the two World Wars, which allows us to think there's something objectively bringing us together in difficult times, and I think – I believe – it has to do with geopolitical interests and also has a moral component.
– Russian President Vladimir Putin
In Greek mythology, Sisyphus or Sisyphosˈ was the king of Ephyra (now known as Corinth). He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it come back to hit him, repeating this action for eternity. Through the classical influence on modern culture, tasks that are both laborious and futile are therefore described as Sisyphean.
On the other hand, also in Greek mythology, Cerberus often called the hound of Hades, is the monstrous multi-headed dog that guards the gates of the underworld to prevent the dead from leaving. Cerberus was the offspring of the monsters Echidna and Typhon, and usually is described as having three heads, a serpent for a tail, and snakes protruding from parts of his body.Cerberus is primarily known for his capture by Heracles, one of Heracles' twelve labourers.
The new world order
It is moot to note that most of the global issues and the bones of contention are of a Sisyphean nature and they are described as Sisyphean.
This is manifestly and patently clear in the case of the clarion call for global change. We have again gone to the bottom of the hill, again like Sisyphus, with the US opting out of the Paris Accord which was heavily lobbied for by the new French President Emmanuel Macron. Reaching global consensus on each of these matters which are of global importance, are Sisyphean by nature.
There are some countries which have already opted out, while some other countries stand firm on international standards regarding these global matters.
Take for instance, parameters in relation to integrating economies and global economic development. It is then that national interests come in. Otherwise, what else would explain BREXIT? England opted out of the European Union, as it felt that an unnecessary number of Europeans were moving in and out of her territory. So, here again , there were the national interests which came ahead of the global or at least regional interests, as was very evident, in this instance.
This is the Sisyphean task. Each time that the man was asked to throw the huge stone off the mountain, God Olympus ensured that the stone kept rolling back before the mountain. It was a never ending task for Sisyphus. That is evidenced by the candid examples which are seen in global geopolitics and global geo-economics of today. Whether it is climate change or whether it is disarmament or economic integration, global leaders agree on certain parameters, then they beg to disagree like the Paris Accord on Climate Change! States in our global community accept theories when the national interests match up to theregional or global interests, be they climate change, disarmament or economic integration as the case may be.
Take the case of the Paris Accord in 2000 where most Member States of the UN and others agreed to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Now the United States President Donald Trump himself says that the US cannot agree to global standards! Then, there are other countries, which also state that they need more time for the interpretation of the conditions. Sri Lanka, as well as some other developing countries, has stated that they have not reached the level of operation of the developed countries, in this regard.
This includes India and China which is a manifestation of a pathetic situation. The so-called developed countries have come together which have had multiplier effects on the environment in different countries. These are not figments of imagination, but time will tell what serious impact climate change would have on the world.
The next topic would be disarmament and nuclear non-proliferation.
It is a good thing that the NPT or the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty has worked. There is the IAEA or the International Atomic Energy Authority Board of Governors also at work.
There is a clarion call from these global institutions that there should be no nuclear weapons.
But evidence shows that these very countries are continuing to increase their nuclear arsenal. It appears as if North Korea is continuing with their agendas while maintaining that they do not heed to the global call.
Global economic integration
Global economic integration is one of the best forms of enhancing per capita incomes and living standards of the world. In this instance, the CARICOM (Caribbean Community) is better than the most powerful economic power in the world which is the EU, which is seen crumbling with BREXIT. In sharp contrast, there is CARICOM and ASEAN which are seen as huge success stories.
However, Myanmar is seen to be ethnic cleansing and the movement is seen to be losing its respect. It is in this context that the CARICOM say they are better. When they tried to do the same ethnic cleansing, it is the Dominican Republic which tried to ostracize and take away the membership of Seychelles.
So, under these circumstances, the implementation of the new global order is a gargantuan Sisyphean task, and will never happen until and unless the global order and interests match with the national interests. It is then that we could see the proliferation of globalization. It will be then that Sisyphus will be able to throw the stone beyond the hill where God Olympus will not send it back.
As for Cerberus, the dog which was guarding the underworld, there is one thing that he was vulnerable to and that was good music and he would fall asleep to it, permitting the return of Orpheus' wife from the dead.
Now we see the manifestation of this in global geopolitics. A sop (an euphemism for a bribe) to Cerberus in the form of music ! That is to the countries which protect their own interests. This is also manifest with the presence of the United States in the Indian Ocean, which is not for the protection of the Indian Ocean and its border countries, per se, but to mitigate China's presence in the Indian Ocean! What a tangled web we weave!
This columnist could be contacted on [email protected]
Ministry Secretaries should be appointed on Best interest of Public not Minister Lethargy blocking change
- ‘A prisoner in Indian jail on Eelam soil’
- Sagala vows to crush Aava group Police deployed in full strength
- Politico’s son-in-law in school frock drama Teacher threatened after student is reprimanded
- Lanka alarmed over increased smuggling of ‘KG’
- SC to hear Tangalle ASP assault case
- 656 kg Glyphosate nabbed
- FPTP opens gate for undesirables, warns Amunugama
- EC to issue nomination notice on 27th
- NPC Education Minister shuns national flag Sarveshwaran was Chief Guest at school event
- Geological changes in Jaffna – Academics
- Violence against children World Vision launches campaign
- Females from soldier families on SLPP list
- JO goes to CIABOC against five COPE members
- Warrant issued on Jaliya Wickramasuriya For failure to appear in court
- Appuhamy admits to communicating with Aloysius Denies wrongdoing
- Gota’s objections thrown out Avant Garde case to go ahead
- JVP to team up with the devil! Vows to defeat LG polls gazette case
- UNP and JO in ‘secret deal’ to tarnish SLFP – Dayasiri
- CID evidence on COPE members and Aloysius JO urges Speaker to investigate
- An Inconsistent US Assertive China and Asia’s Hobbesian Order
- Jorge Sharp and Citizen Movements:New Momentum for Chilean Left?
- Zimbabwe’s Tailspin: The Lessons for Africa
- Lankan family facing deportation due to MS diagnosis
- Malaysian security forces in SL Undergo sea combat training
- Customs nabs man with gold jewellery
- HNB clinch two titles
- Nadal wins defamation case
- One-legged footballer melts hearts
- Paine handed shock recall for Australia
- Italy's stars fall back to earth in Serie A
- 20th Army Para Athletic Meet 700 Servicemen and 5 Koreans in the fray 2 Korean Olympians provide international flavour
- 47 successful at AASL Technical Officers exam
- England’s May up to speed for Wallabies
- MCA Premier League 2018 MAS and DIMO into Semis
- 34th MBA Inter-Firm Team Badminton Championships 2017 McLarens Group are overall champions
- Fourteen teams for beach tag rugby
- CH in vigorous win over CR
- Havies up against tough Navy SC
- Pujara holds on as India struggle
- Waruna off to Finland
- Sevens players given SLR contracts 20 men and 16 women players will be signed on starting November
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Sanjula gets 150 runs
- Lakmal rattles India on rain-hit day
- Curious case of Sri Lanka Winter Sports Association
- Inter Club Rugby League Tournament CR clash with arch rivals CH today
- Asian Markets Rise As Risk Appetite Improves
- Singapore suspends trade ties with North Korea
- House Republicans pass $1.4Tn Tax Overhaul bill
- The world’s largest automaker is putting big money into electric vehicles in China
- Emotional toll of diabetes 'needs more recognition'
- Could buying paintings make you rich?
- Walmart helps to lift US markets
- $7.5 million Schumacher Ferrari sets record: Sotheby's
- Norway's state fund ‘needs to drop oil and gas investments'
- Japan railway 'deeply sorry' after train leaves 20 seconds early
- Creditors rule Venezuela state oil firm PDVSA in default
- Asia Property Awards in Singapore Capital TRUST Residencies wins Best Condo in SL
- Lanka IOC reports losses for 3rd consecutive quarter
- Airtel and Google debut online purchasing in SL
- AIA Insurance Lanka revenue up 17% in Q3
- Full day of CSE trading from Disaster Recovery site
- Introducing Mars to agriculture
- How an oil giant came to dominate wheat
- Asian Shares Higher Ahead Of US Tax Vote
- Going green needs defined regulations to go forward
- Remembering ‘Dictionary Johnson’
- Budgetary design of blue green enterprise
- A Time of Gifts Different Perspectives
- We were forced to work like animals
- Enjoying the bounty and giving thanks
- BREXIT Impact on free movement of people
- Padmavati triggers stir in Bollywood
- Military burning houses Rohingya refugees flee to Bangladesh
- Rice Revolution Role of Dairy Centres
- Pollution in India: 2.5 million people killed in 2015
- There is no journey with the UNP
- Core values of the UNP are eroding - Pradeep Jayewardene
- UN compensation for Kuwait workers Rs 3.2 B on migrant worker welfare
- Professor Matteo Legrenzi says: Gulf States are not keen on all-out war
- I regret the inconvenience caused to the public
- An argument for a new Constitution
- ‘Otriachchi’, ‘Orumiththa Nadu’, ‘Aekeeya Rajya’ and unitary state
- A Constitutional Framework for Sri Lanka
- PAST LIFE AND RULING PLANETS IN KRISHNAMURTHI PADHDHATHI
- Astrological remedies for Agriculture
- Unintentional Murder and law
- An Idyl in South India
- GRANDMA’S HAIR GROWTH OIL
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Vibrancy of classical Sinhala poetry
- Gazing at the 'gems' of Sri Lanka
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Man who rebelled against the British
- Rohingya kids fill void of parents
- Looking back at Sri Lanka Police