National interests over global interests Sisyphus, Cerberus and the new world order
with Ravi Ladduwahetty
Indeed, Russia and the U.S. were allies during the two tragic conflicts of the two World Wars, which allows us to think there's something objectively bringing us together in difficult times, and I think – I believe – it has to do with geopolitical interests and also has a moral component.
– Russian President Vladimir Putin
In Greek mythology, Sisyphus or Sisyphosˈ was the king of Ephyra (now known as Corinth). He was punished for his self-aggrandizing craftiness and deceitfulness by being forced to roll an immense boulder up a hill, only to watch it come back to hit him, repeating this action for eternity. Through the classical influence on modern culture, tasks that are both laborious and futile are therefore described as Sisyphean.
On the other hand, also in Greek mythology, Cerberus often called the hound of Hades, is the monstrous multi-headed dog that guards the gates of the underworld to prevent the dead from leaving. Cerberus was the offspring of the monsters Echidna and Typhon, and usually is described as having three heads, a serpent for a tail, and snakes protruding from parts of his body.Cerberus is primarily known for his capture by Heracles, one of Heracles' twelve labourers.
The new world order
It is moot to note that most of the global issues and the bones of contention are of a Sisyphean nature and they are described as Sisyphean.
This is manifestly and patently clear in the case of the clarion call for global change. We have again gone to the bottom of the hill, again like Sisyphus, with the US opting out of the Paris Accord which was heavily lobbied for by the new French President Emmanuel Macron. Reaching global consensus on each of these matters which are of global importance, are Sisyphean by nature.
There are some countries which have already opted out, while some other countries stand firm on international standards regarding these global matters.
Take for instance, parameters in relation to integrating economies and global economic development. It is then that national interests come in. Otherwise, what else would explain BREXIT? England opted out of the European Union, as it felt that an unnecessary number of Europeans were moving in and out of her territory. So, here again , there were the national interests which came ahead of the global or at least regional interests, as was very evident, in this instance.
This is the Sisyphean task. Each time that the man was asked to throw the huge stone off the mountain, God Olympus ensured that the stone kept rolling back before the mountain. It was a never ending task for Sisyphus. That is evidenced by the candid examples which are seen in global geopolitics and global geo-economics of today. Whether it is climate change or whether it is disarmament or economic integration, global leaders agree on certain parameters, then they beg to disagree like the Paris Accord on Climate Change! States in our global community accept theories when the national interests match up to theregional or global interests, be they climate change, disarmament or economic integration as the case may be.
Take the case of the Paris Accord in 2000 where most Member States of the UN and others agreed to reduce carbon dioxide emissions. Now the United States President Donald Trump himself says that the US cannot agree to global standards! Then, there are other countries, which also state that they need more time for the interpretation of the conditions. Sri Lanka, as well as some other developing countries, has stated that they have not reached the level of operation of the developed countries, in this regard.
This includes India and China which is a manifestation of a pathetic situation. The so-called developed countries have come together which have had multiplier effects on the environment in different countries. These are not figments of imagination, but time will tell what serious impact climate change would have on the world.
The next topic would be disarmament and nuclear non-proliferation.
It is a good thing that the NPT or the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty has worked. There is the IAEA or the International Atomic Energy Authority Board of Governors also at work.
There is a clarion call from these global institutions that there should be no nuclear weapons.
But evidence shows that these very countries are continuing to increase their nuclear arsenal. It appears as if North Korea is continuing with their agendas while maintaining that they do not heed to the global call.
Global economic integration
Global economic integration is one of the best forms of enhancing per capita incomes and living standards of the world. In this instance, the CARICOM (Caribbean Community) is better than the most powerful economic power in the world which is the EU, which is seen crumbling with BREXIT. In sharp contrast, there is CARICOM and ASEAN which are seen as huge success stories.
However, Myanmar is seen to be ethnic cleansing and the movement is seen to be losing its respect. It is in this context that the CARICOM say they are better. When they tried to do the same ethnic cleansing, it is the Dominican Republic which tried to ostracize and take away the membership of Seychelles.
So, under these circumstances, the implementation of the new global order is a gargantuan Sisyphean task, and will never happen until and unless the global order and interests match with the national interests. It is then that we could see the proliferation of globalization. It will be then that Sisyphus will be able to throw the stone beyond the hill where God Olympus will not send it back.
As for Cerberus, the dog which was guarding the underworld, there is one thing that he was vulnerable to and that was good music and he would fall asleep to it, permitting the return of Orpheus' wife from the dead.
Now we see the manifestation of this in global geopolitics. A sop (an euphemism for a bribe) to Cerberus in the form of music ! That is to the countries which protect their own interests. This is also manifest with the presence of the United States in the Indian Ocean, which is not for the protection of the Indian Ocean and its border countries, per se, but to mitigate China's presence in the Indian Ocean! What a tangled web we weave!
This columnist could be contacted on [email protected]
Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done
Mahinda Rajapaksa :I did my best for the CountrySays Constitution allows him to become Prime Minister
- No free passes to prison hospital in future 1092
- Appoint honourable trustees to govern! 3262
- Nabbed with Kerala Ganja 3116
- Dengue eradication week on MoH deploys 3,000 teams this time 3418
- Badulla gets clean drinking water 3125
- Boost imports to grow – Harsha 3129
- Govt expects to generate Rs 103.8B from tobacco tax 3171
- British HC in C’bo celebrates Britain’s creative industries 3173
- Zoo to open at night 3120
- Anti-SAITM protests GMOA at it again! 3131
- CEB strike ends 3128
- Ranil May Implement Ease Of Doing Business Act 3124
- LG and PC polls before 31 March 2018 – PM 3113
- PC Elections Bill Party leaders decide to go ahead Amendments need not be reviewed – Speaker 3114
- President Sirisena meets Pakistani PM Expresses gratitude for support 3109
- Treasury Bonds Auction probe Mahendran not outside law of country – PCoI 3113
- 3rd stage of the Central Expressway project Signing with Taisei Corporation next week 3109
- Treasury Bonds Auction probe Cross Examination of Mahendran delayed Oral testimony inadequate material documentary evidence sought 3114
- Implementing UN Resolutions President urges Intl Community to be patient 3183
- AG probes SLLRDC tender process Irregularities running into billions 3113
- Sil Cloth case Weeratunga, Palpita out on bail 3111
- UN General Assembly Trump Warns ‘Rocket Man’ of Pyongyang 3112
- Today is Int’l Day of Peace 1178
- LG and PC polls next year – PM 3801
- Reactions to Suu Kyi’s speech 3813
- WIKIPEDIA AND the INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPER OF UK HIGHLIGHTS NOSTRADAMUS’S 11 SHOCKINGLY ACCURATE PREDICTIONS 3048
- The privatization panacea 3026
- National Economy Rice Cultivation in a National Master Plan 3034
- Anti-SAITM forces and the rule of law 3106
- The March of Folly Promoting Amity, 15 years late 2840
- Sri Lanka secure World Cup berth 3025
- ‘Prima Champions Cup’ U-15 Inter Provincial Cricket Chamindu makes first ton of tournament 3029
- Rain threatens second ODI 3032
- Singer – MCA Premier League 2018 Udawatte ton helps MAS 3028
- Not in a bad place with my captaincy: Smith 3031
- Muguruza crushes Puig to advance in Tokyo 3027
- All rounder Boyagoda leads Trinity 3016
- New Head Quarters for ACUSL 3014
- City, United seize title spotlight 3012
- Sri Lanka schools mini marathons Second edition on 23 September 3014
- Within the arc of Chinese influence 3158
- Big Ivan – Russia’s Bang! 2327
- Sri Lanka is a stable country now 2805
- Heading Hybrid Renewable Energy Lights Up Eluvaithivu Island 2918
- ‘Capacity To Pay’, ‘Ability To Pay’ Govt’s New Rates Question Tax Principles 3650
- I will take legal action against ‘footnote’ accusations – Sujeewa Senasinghe 2738
- We are making plans to topple the Government 3786
- We will not support the 20th Amendment – Suresh Premachandran 3115
- Lanka Private Bus Owners’ Association President says Bus lanes are good but more needs to be done 2914
- SF’s vitriolic attack on Bhikkhus prompts Ven. Gunawansa’s foray into politics 4036
- Consumer durable market to recover in 2018 1Q – Singer 3137
- Fitch affirms Alliance Finance at BB+(lka); Withdraws ratings 3113
- Fitch rates LB Finance PLC’s senior and subordinated debt 3115
- Chevron props economic growth through exports to Pakistan 3127
- Fitch rates Sampath Bank’s Basel III Sub Debt ‘A(lka) (EXP) 3115
- Elephant House launches Lemoki 3128
- LMD names TRIAD ‘Most Respected Advertising Company’ 3105
- Maggi noodles now with enhanced flavours 3106
- Russia’s interesting new oil geopolitics 3108
- Fed pressing button to unwind quantitative easing 3103
- Executing an Executive order 2744
- What are The Best Laxative Foods? 2551
- YOU CAN’T JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER 3589
- NASA's spacecraft makes death plunge into Saturn 2484
- Latest addition to the iphone family 2482
- best workout songs 1823
- BOUNCE BACK: AN OPEN MIC 1943
- Cosplayer fame 2197
- Astrological clue to the nature of your progeny 2416
- Vasu Defects that Affect Business Places 2405
- Venus the planet of love 2407
- Egypt before Pharaohs: When Gods ruled the Earth 2379
- Omens connected with muscle twitching 2368
- Body of the Text 3077
- Academic approaches to peace building and reconciliation 3091
- Insights into the life of remarkable missionary 3122
- Theatre Critics 3047
- Jaffna International Cinema Festival 2017 (JaffnaICF 2017) 3067
- Grammar through Literature and A Thousand Voiced Choir 3046
- Healing the wounded hearts 3050
- Labour power discourse in cinema 3329
- Animals in thirst 2727
- Enhancing life to the very end 2745
- Hearts break in silence 2733
- Awards for alumni at ‘the best school of all’ 2709
- Blue sky in warm champagne 2704
- A will of steel 2702
- Neural engines: the future of AI 2395
- CLOSING SOME WINDOWS 2392
- Celebrating 23 years 2395
- Dahl’s Twisted, Overlooked Stories for Adults 2375
- Powerful voices and musical talent 2374
- The business of fandom 2388