Latest addition to the iphone family
By Shenali Welikala
Its 10 years since the first iPhone was released. There was rumour and excitement for many months about a new iPhone to commemorate the iPhone's 10th anniversary. As a result, the release of iPhone X, a special edition phone was announced on 11 September 2017, at the Steve Jobes Theater by the Apple CEO Tom Cook.
Though it was announced alongside the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, which are iterative improvements over the 7/7 Plus, the iPhone X definitely has something different from its predecessors.
Even though the product and the sociological value for iPhones are in another level comparing to Apple's rivals, the newest situation seems as if the feedbacks from the public is not entirely positive.
Before digging deep into the product here is everything you need to know about it in a nutshell.
The Design: 143.6mm X 70.9 mm X 7.7mm, 174g, glass on front and back-surgical grade stainless steel frame, water and dust resistant IP67, no Home button, Space Gray and Silver colour options.
The Screen: 5.8 inch HDR OLED edge-to-edge display, 2436 X 1125 pixel resolution ( 458ppi)
Specs: Apple A11 Bionic 6-core SoC with Apple GPU, Face ID,Stereo speakers, Fast-charging capable (50% charge in 30 minutes), wireless charging, iOS 11.
Let's now move on to a critical analysis of the product design. Can you see something missing at a glance of the iPhone X? "The Home Button" It's no longer there. With iPhone 7, Apple removed the head phone jack. This time it's the home button. This sums up the conclusion that all the future iPhones will no longer have Home Buttons. This might be infuriating for the loyal iPhone users, yet Samsung users might not worry of such an architectural design since neither the Samsung Galaxy S8 nor LG G6 have buttons below the screen.
As an added advantage the screen size of the phone is much larger than iPhone 7 and this turns out to be the best looking phone after the iconic iPhone 4. If you are wondering whether the headphone jack made a comeback, no it hasn't. You might still need to purchase or use your Lightning-cable headphones or wireless headphone and of course there is the wireless Airpods.
Even though there are no such iconic changes in the specs, the pixel size is large and the ISP (Image Signal Processor) seems to be much faster. Apple also promises 83% more light in the photos and 36% more light for the second rear sensor. The second rear camera now has OIS (Optical Image Stabilization).
Then there is the face recognition system. Due to the omission of the Home Button, there needs to be a method to replace it. The TrueDepth Camera system helps to do the job.
The next important factor is the A11 Vionic chip, which is a neural engine, processes the image in real time and that can mathematically map the shape and contours of your face.
Wireless charging is also available with iPhoneX. It is Qi compatible, which means you will be able to use any Qi charger you might already own. The disadvantage with Qi charging is that the charging speed is twice as slow as the charging cable.
However there was one thing that was not mentioned when the announcement was made. It's that, the iPhone X comes with smart charging. That means you can get 50% of the battery life back from a 30 minutes quick charge. The battery life is as twice as long the battery life of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.
You might already know that iPhone X benefits from newer OLED technology. This is the first time this technology was used in an iPhone. It is called the Super Retina Display, and measures 5.8 inches, with a resolution of 2,436 x 1125 pixels. It has an added Dobly Vision and HDR10 spport for stunning video playback. It also features TrueTone dynamic white balance adjustment, iPhone X is the highest resolution iPhone screen we've ever seen.
When referring to all the above one might say that the product will indeed become a user's favourite yet when browsing through articles and blogs your idea might change. After all the final judgment is in the hands of the users. Therefore let's wait and watch.
- Khaleda Zia’s conviction and its repercussions
- China is biggest impediment to Korean reunification
- Trump’s Budget Priorities: Crimes Against Humanity?
- Mahanayake Thera of Asgiriya Chapter says Unity Govt should be scrapped
- Corruption case against Wimal on 16 May
- Govt won’t last till next General Election - JO
- Lankan fisherman yearns to return home
- EU awards 18 schols To promote sustainable consumption and production
- Ready for a rally
- Harassing tribal woman Lankan held in Andhra Pradesh
- People are very angry says Mavai
- Awards for bright religious students
- Delimitation Committee Report Govt must hold APC CaFFE
- Father of two requires urgent kidney transplant Seeks public help to raise Rs 1.5 M
- 2014 Aluthgama riot Govt to compensate victims in March & April
- Gajaba Regiment hands out schols
- Leadership training for principals suspended
- PAFFREL urges Appoint maximum number of women possible
- Tender irregularities hinted at A/L Tab Project temporarily suspended Project is being re-evaluated Rajitha
- CID wants INTERPOL ‘Red Notice’ on Mahendran
- Inquest into Bellanwila thera’s death Coroner complains to IGP Claims Boralesgamuwa Police ignored warnings
- 14 Hump Nosed Lizards born at Dehiwala Zoo
- EC informs party secys and ind group leaders 25% of 8,356 elected must be women Speaker says 25% quota not scrapped
- SL bidder for EAP Group chastises CBSL Over negotiation process
- Non-renewal of MoU Unity Govt cannot continue – Opposition
- In form CR to try and outmatch Kandy
- Havelocks face Navy SC at Race Course
- Madushanka doubtful for Nidahas Trophy
- SLSRFA to conduct workshop
- Trinity close on heels of St. Aloysius
- Khan leads Afghanistan to thumping series win
- Sri Lanka face India in the curtain raiser
- Third doping scandal hits Games
- Bayliss willing to step aside as T20 coach
- Brazilian match abandoned after brawl
- Shirantha promises transparency and accountability in NOC
- Rashid, Bumrah joint No.1 in ODI rankings
- Wigan shock Man City
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Sampath Bank reports Profit After Tax above Rs 12B
- Dfcc Bank records impressive performance in 2017
- Hayleys Advantis partners IRONMAN 70.3 Colombo
- SL troops facelift Sakkotei tourist attraction
- Pantum becomes distributor for EWIS Peripherals
- Hyundai Lanka appoints AutoMaasters as authorized dealer in Jaffna
- Will online retailing outdo traditional retailing?
- Sarvodaya Finance joins LankaPay Common ATM Network
- JLanka Technologies to participate at Architect 2018
- Edirisinghe Brothers’ Hybrid Hub, SLIC to open Hybrid Vehicle Clinics
- NDB holds all-night Pirith ceremony
- AI-powered Dialog Voice Agent now on Google Assistant
- SLIM represents SL at prestigious conference in Asia
- NTB American Express travel around the world winners to visit five cities
- Munchee Super Cream Crackers ranks on top
- Ceylinco Life donates High Dependency Unit to Kalubowila Hospital
- Asian shares slip as dollar firms
- Cabinet approval underway for National Audit Bill Bill to be tabled in Parliament shortly
- Unpoliticized Maritime Promotion Bureau required: Ports Authority Chairman
- ComBank licensed for Microfinance operations in Myanmar
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Welcome to Earth
- Can nuclear technology zap hunger?
- Bouncing back from LG election drubbing
- Trapped by the system Ethiopian workers in Lebanon see no freedom
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Gota is Lankan Putin – Gammanpila
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep