Latest addition to the iphone family
By Shenali Welikala
Its 10 years since the first iPhone was released. There was rumour and excitement for many months about a new iPhone to commemorate the iPhone's 10th anniversary. As a result, the release of iPhone X, a special edition phone was announced on 11 September 2017, at the Steve Jobes Theater by the Apple CEO Tom Cook.
Though it was announced alongside the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, which are iterative improvements over the 7/7 Plus, the iPhone X definitely has something different from its predecessors.
Even though the product and the sociological value for iPhones are in another level comparing to Apple's rivals, the newest situation seems as if the feedbacks from the public is not entirely positive.
Before digging deep into the product here is everything you need to know about it in a nutshell.
The Design: 143.6mm X 70.9 mm X 7.7mm, 174g, glass on front and back-surgical grade stainless steel frame, water and dust resistant IP67, no Home button, Space Gray and Silver colour options.
The Screen: 5.8 inch HDR OLED edge-to-edge display, 2436 X 1125 pixel resolution ( 458ppi)
Specs: Apple A11 Bionic 6-core SoC with Apple GPU, Face ID,Stereo speakers, Fast-charging capable (50% charge in 30 minutes), wireless charging, iOS 11.
Let's now move on to a critical analysis of the product design. Can you see something missing at a glance of the iPhone X? "The Home Button" It's no longer there. With iPhone 7, Apple removed the head phone jack. This time it's the home button. This sums up the conclusion that all the future iPhones will no longer have Home Buttons. This might be infuriating for the loyal iPhone users, yet Samsung users might not worry of such an architectural design since neither the Samsung Galaxy S8 nor LG G6 have buttons below the screen.
As an added advantage the screen size of the phone is much larger than iPhone 7 and this turns out to be the best looking phone after the iconic iPhone 4. If you are wondering whether the headphone jack made a comeback, no it hasn't. You might still need to purchase or use your Lightning-cable headphones or wireless headphone and of course there is the wireless Airpods.
Even though there are no such iconic changes in the specs, the pixel size is large and the ISP (Image Signal Processor) seems to be much faster. Apple also promises 83% more light in the photos and 36% more light for the second rear sensor. The second rear camera now has OIS (Optical Image Stabilization).
Then there is the face recognition system. Due to the omission of the Home Button, there needs to be a method to replace it. The TrueDepth Camera system helps to do the job.
The next important factor is the A11 Vionic chip, which is a neural engine, processes the image in real time and that can mathematically map the shape and contours of your face.
Wireless charging is also available with iPhoneX. It is Qi compatible, which means you will be able to use any Qi charger you might already own. The disadvantage with Qi charging is that the charging speed is twice as slow as the charging cable.
However there was one thing that was not mentioned when the announcement was made. It's that, the iPhone X comes with smart charging. That means you can get 50% of the battery life back from a 30 minutes quick charge. The battery life is as twice as long the battery life of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.
You might already know that iPhone X benefits from newer OLED technology. This is the first time this technology was used in an iPhone. It is called the Super Retina Display, and measures 5.8 inches, with a resolution of 2,436 x 1125 pixels. It has an added Dobly Vision and HDR10 spport for stunning video playback. It also features TrueTone dynamic white balance adjustment, iPhone X is the highest resolution iPhone screen we've ever seen.
When referring to all the above one might say that the product will indeed become a user's favourite yet when browsing through articles and blogs your idea might change. After all the final judgment is in the hands of the users. Therefore let's wait and watch.
- Death of Jacintha Peiris
- Renovation work on golden canopy begins
- Poverty down to 4.1% But highest in the North
- MR to preside at SLPP rallies
- Prelates decrying new Constitution Govt to blame says Mano
- New office to assist Uma Oya affected
- Importance of Tourism stressed Dengue threat lgnored
- Indian soldier revisits a brutal battlefield
- Large crowd at Berlin Katina Pooja
- PC polls campaigns Nimal, John lead SLFP team
- ‘Savisthri’ report handed over to Sampanthan
- Nimal warns Railway unions Strict action against strikers
- Attack on Rohingya refugee shelter Police trap monk in Nittambuwa
- Call to extend PCoI term VAC wants to unmask 20 UNPers
- K’Nochchi poorest, at Rs 28,483 Household expenses increase to Rs 62,237 pm Rich spend Rs 158,072 pm per household
- Don’t be misled on new Constitution – President
- PM presents economic policy to Parliament Govt targets private sector involvement
- One Final Offer From the EU to the UK
- Anti-Dumping Bill Gazetted Protection for Local Industries
- Tourism Statistics SLTDA disputes CCC
- Smugglers detained at BIA
- SI injured during hooch raid Falls from third floor balcony
- 1070 traffic fatalities in 2017 121 murders during same period - Police
- Rattota Police OIC suspended
- Technical error in Diversity Visa Programme DV-2019 US Embassy says re-register
- Sri Lanka crumble again, 173 All Out
- De Villiers, Hasan Ali move to top of ODI rankings
- Resurgent Zimbabwe face rising West Indies
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Hasintha gets ton
- SLCA shows concern for players’ safety
- WI keep SL to 69 to take 1-0 lead
- Trinitians roar to regain Lanka Lions Rugby Sevens title Dilshan Kelaniyangoda named Player of the Tournament
- Hafeez reported for suspect bowling action
- MAS win swimming crown for seventh year
- Kiwis out to tame India's newest spin duo
- Root must 'con' players into Ashes mindset - Vaughan
- Improved Wallabies ready for All Blacks tilt - Hooper
- Waidyathilake quits from ITO officiating
- Troubled Chelsea fight to boost flagging morale
- Pogba on comeback trail for injury-hit Man Utd
- Neymar, Mbappe primed for PSG-Marseille rivalry
- Sadeera’s inclusion will strengthen batting Sri Lanka face uphill task
- Anika into semis in Singapore
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket 15-year-old Pawan scores century
- Sheoran takes Sri Lanka Golf title in thriller
- This simple investment strategy could protect you if the US stock market cracks
- Google’s parent company leads $1 billion investment in Lyft
- Nissan halts production in Japan
- These airline stocks have doubled while rivals go bust
- China's answer to Groupon and Yelp is now worth $30B
- Goldman Sachs Chief Lloyd Blankfein hints at Frankfurt move
- Amazon: More than 100 cities bid for new headquarters
- End of Australia auto-making sector as Holden closes doors
- May pleads for Brexit deal she can sell at home
- Black Monday 1987: ‘Our jaws hit the desk’
- Sustainability a priority for Port City Project
- National Chamber hosts Iranian Ambassador
- Fair demand for Ceylon Tea from Japan, China
- China third quarter growth meets expectations at 6.8%
- The rise of consumerism Thorstein Veblen’s conspicuous consumption now a global phenomenon
- HNB announces seasonal discounts
- Janashakthi takes home Gold at Effie Awards
- Standard Chartered running seasonal promo
- Dialog launches first TIER III Certified Data Centre in Sri Lanka
- CSE to add dollar-denominated board
- Concentrated wisdom Learning from others
- lateral thinking Nation’s guardians celebrate 68th Anniversary
- A Time of Gifts Starting to wind down
- The month of ‘Katina Pinkama’
- OVERWHELMING RESPONSE HUMANITY AT ITS BEST
- Fall of Raqqa
- UN urges B’desh to move Rohingya refugees
- Flu shots are the greatest medical fraud in the history of the world
- Sucking it up
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- No Revenge I want to embrace all those who left us – Basil Rajapaksa
- Large Industrial Zone for Thulhiriya
- Even the PM should be in Prison for the frauds
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Hindustani Violin recital
- Classical rendering of a masterly-crafted musical
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead