Latest addition to the iphone family
By Shenali Welikala
Its 10 years since the first iPhone was released. There was rumour and excitement for many months about a new iPhone to commemorate the iPhone's 10th anniversary. As a result, the release of iPhone X, a special edition phone was announced on 11 September 2017, at the Steve Jobes Theater by the Apple CEO Tom Cook.
Though it was announced alongside the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus, which are iterative improvements over the 7/7 Plus, the iPhone X definitely has something different from its predecessors.
Even though the product and the sociological value for iPhones are in another level comparing to Apple's rivals, the newest situation seems as if the feedbacks from the public is not entirely positive.
Before digging deep into the product here is everything you need to know about it in a nutshell.
The Design: 143.6mm X 70.9 mm X 7.7mm, 174g, glass on front and back-surgical grade stainless steel frame, water and dust resistant IP67, no Home button, Space Gray and Silver colour options.
The Screen: 5.8 inch HDR OLED edge-to-edge display, 2436 X 1125 pixel resolution ( 458ppi)
Specs: Apple A11 Bionic 6-core SoC with Apple GPU, Face ID,Stereo speakers, Fast-charging capable (50% charge in 30 minutes), wireless charging, iOS 11.
Let's now move on to a critical analysis of the product design. Can you see something missing at a glance of the iPhone X? "The Home Button" It's no longer there. With iPhone 7, Apple removed the head phone jack. This time it's the home button. This sums up the conclusion that all the future iPhones will no longer have Home Buttons. This might be infuriating for the loyal iPhone users, yet Samsung users might not worry of such an architectural design since neither the Samsung Galaxy S8 nor LG G6 have buttons below the screen.
As an added advantage the screen size of the phone is much larger than iPhone 7 and this turns out to be the best looking phone after the iconic iPhone 4. If you are wondering whether the headphone jack made a comeback, no it hasn't. You might still need to purchase or use your Lightning-cable headphones or wireless headphone and of course there is the wireless Airpods.
Even though there are no such iconic changes in the specs, the pixel size is large and the ISP (Image Signal Processor) seems to be much faster. Apple also promises 83% more light in the photos and 36% more light for the second rear sensor. The second rear camera now has OIS (Optical Image Stabilization).
Then there is the face recognition system. Due to the omission of the Home Button, there needs to be a method to replace it. The TrueDepth Camera system helps to do the job.
The next important factor is the A11 Vionic chip, which is a neural engine, processes the image in real time and that can mathematically map the shape and contours of your face.
Wireless charging is also available with iPhoneX. It is Qi compatible, which means you will be able to use any Qi charger you might already own. The disadvantage with Qi charging is that the charging speed is twice as slow as the charging cable.
However there was one thing that was not mentioned when the announcement was made. It's that, the iPhone X comes with smart charging. That means you can get 50% of the battery life back from a 30 minutes quick charge. The battery life is as twice as long the battery life of iPhone 8 and 8 Plus.
You might already know that iPhone X benefits from newer OLED technology. This is the first time this technology was used in an iPhone. It is called the Super Retina Display, and measures 5.8 inches, with a resolution of 2,436 x 1125 pixels. It has an added Dobly Vision and HDR10 spport for stunning video playback. It also features TrueTone dynamic white balance adjustment, iPhone X is the highest resolution iPhone screen we've ever seen.
When referring to all the above one might say that the product will indeed become a user's favourite yet when browsing through articles and blogs your idea might change. After all the final judgment is in the hands of the users. Therefore let's wait and watch.
If we join with the govt then the vote will tilt to the JVP or people will abstain from voting We have to form a new party!
- Moscow’s Middle East Resurgence
- How the UK Always Plays Ireland
- SEUSL gets a ‘Hela Bojun’ outlet
- BRT system could solve transport issues – Dr Gunaruwan
- Rajitha call for unity to eradicate malaria
- Foreign Investments strengthen Reserves
- Five arrested for attacking students
- Russian drowns in Hikkaduwa
- Inflation in 2017:Inclement weather to blame - CBSL
- Hasen Ali quits SLMC for UPA
- PC Amendment Act Bathiudeen unhappy
- Dayasiri blasts Janayugaya
- Recognizing Jerusalem as Israeli capital:SPPFA criticizes Trump
- Sriyani pledges to support President Quits JO due to neglect
- 25% Women representation Faiszer blasts opposing Ministers
- Most Ven. Prajnananda Maha Thero dead
- Railway strike to continue Talks with Kariyawasam not fruitful - Dodangoda
- Opposition failed to criticize Budget– Harsha
- Air Force X’mas Carols
- Prof. Hapuarachchi accepts responsibility, says: ‘Mawbima’ news item is correct
- Railway Unions adamant Despite essential service declaration
- UN’s CAT OP effective from 4 Jan
- H’tota Port officially handed over to China First tranche of US$ 294 M paid yesterday
- Supply of coconuts to Army Treasury faces huge loss
- Budget passed with 99 majority
- Lakmal stars in Sri Lanka’s victory
- Asia Rugby U-19 Hong Kong trounce Sri Lanka
- Premier League Club Cricket BRC and Colts win
- Dialog Champions League Emma scores hat-trick
- Army SC in hard fought win
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Cricket Match drawn at Moratuwa
- 12th Singapore Nationals Lankan Synchro swimmers excel
- England draw warm-up match
- Shakib named new Bangladesh Test captain
- Dr. Lucas wins gold medals
- Truax shocks DeGale with majority decision
- Southee, Boult dominate for Kiwis
- James carries Cavs, Clippers edge Wizards
- Conte concedes title chances are gone
- Lowry-McDowell share lead
- MAS boxers dominate
- Turkey: Nearly 70 journalists on trial in one week
- Havelocks win a tight game
- Sri Lanka can rise to the occasion
- Singer Cup’ Under-19 Schools Cricket Rahula and S. Thomas’ win
- Fiscal Liability Act in Parliament in Jan
- First tranche of us$ 294 M for Hambantota Port Boost for foreign reserves, imports- cb Governor
- ‘Ports and Shipping Ministry ranked least efficient’
- Finance Company bad loans up 11.5%
- Dilshan Wirasekara elected to CSE Board
- The Jobs Numbers: US employers add 228,000 new jobs Last updated: 8 December 2017
- Stocks rally as dollar posts best week this year
- Nikkei leads Asia markets higher on Friday
- World Bank says Government lacks the will
- Lessons for WTO from EU’s ‘differentiated integration’
- Global powers lobby to stop ‘special’ Brexit deal
- WTO summit What you need to know
- US jobs growth stronger than expected
- WTO won’t survive Recognizing China as a Market Economy
- China has one big advantage
- Offline and online integration delightful customer journeys
- New investors for operational Port
- tea, rubber, spice exports to Korea soon President slams Diplomats for not promoting exports Says many countries aren’t aware SL produces tea, rubber Navin eyes 40% Chinese market share, from current 25%
- TI Cycles to buy two Lankan firms for $3.3M
- Two shortlisted for BOC’s new GM/CEO post
- Local Govt elections: Dilemma of the voter People get the leaders they deserve - Joseph de Maistre
- From stifling the freedom of expression A culture of accountability need of the hour To deal with the culture of impunity that pervades Sri Lankan institutions
- Concretes & Abstracts Pogrom in the Penitentiary & T.S. Elliot
- FRANCHISE DELAYED IS FRANCHISE DENIED
- Books the potent portable medium
- Sampanthan’s unique role
- United nations warns:No hasty returns of Rohingya to Myanmar!
- New Constitution Altering Territorial Boundaries
- Sale of migrants as slaves in Libya May be crime against humanity UN
- Trimble Inc land survey contract Surveyors cry foul, but accused of inefficiency
- Railway tracks cheaper than highways
- Delimitation process Public response quite low – Dr. K. Thavalingam
- Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- We are moving forward whilst clashing with each other
- Transport systems Cheaper and efficient solutions needed – Prof. Kumarage
- Alleged human rights violations Lord Naseby defends Sri Lanka
- Tourists least concerned about liquor availability Reducing the price of beer a blunder! A gateway to all other drugs
- Plantar fasciitis That Intolerable Heel Ache
- Neecha Dosha of planets and how it is cancelled Neechabhanga Rajayoga
- Vastu defects and bathrooms
- Are you endowed with Pancha Maha PurushaYoga?
- God Aiyanayake: Guardian Deity of Jungle and Village
- Good thoughts eliminate bad planetary influence
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Silvia Senanayake Dazzles at Mrs. Asia International
- Let’s Taco Colombo
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENNETTE MULLED WINE
- Hunger gnaws at Rohingya Children in camps
- Defeating IS Russia has ‘accomplished’ task
- Saudi Princess Ameera Aidan fights sex exploitation
- Hacking into the gate
- Review: A Bad Moms Christmas Relatable holiday humour
- A must watch superhero film!