Amazing Anitha vaults to new SL record
By Anjana Kaluarachchi in Matara
CT Sports: Jaffna's vaulting queen Anitha Jagatheeshwaran once again renewed her own SL record in the Pole Vault at the 43rd National Sports Festival started in Matara yesterday.
Anitha who already renewed the SL record less than a month ago at the National Athletics Championship with 3.47m went over 3.48m here before the rain interruption. Downpour for a few minutes halted her progress making the take off area muddy and that affected her performance. She had to settle at the 3.48m mark once again failing to go over the 3.50m mark which Anitha was trying to achieve since last year.
Trained by C. Subashkaran, Anitha had been instrumental in the event during recent years and AASL had even sent her for an international competition making it the first such instant in history where a female pole vaulter was exposed to international competition. Anitha was selected to the University of Sabaragamuwa Sports Management Degree, but gave up the idea at the thought of having to move away from her coach which would have also affected her athletics career.
She is yet to learn the proper technique in pole vault but she still clears these heights just like someone who started vaulting with an ordinary pole. Proper technique would see her jumping greater heights with lesser effort.
Meanwhile distance runner Lionel Samarajeewa completed his seventh consecutive title in the 10000m clocking 31 minutes:14.22 seconds to win the event. Samarajeewa will now aim for the double with the 5000m.
Nilani Ratnayake sealed her third consecutive 5000m title and she will too eye to make it a double with a win in her pet event 3000m steeple chase. Tharika Fernando who set a new SL record in Shot put in last year's event defended her title with a performance of 14.35m.
Triple jump pit wasn't ready
Men's Triple Jump was moved to another area from its designated location which was in front of the main pavilion. Although the Sports Ministry had paid to get the ground ready on time, the run up area of the new triple jump pit was in an unusable condition and officials tried to get it ready by using a roller in the morning but failed.
Sanjaya Jayasinghe once again defended his title with a leap of 15.78m beating Atheetha Karunasinghe while National Record Holder Eranda Fernando finished without a medal.
Gayanthika and Indunil arrived directly from air port
Gold medallist of the Asian Indoor Games Gayanthika Abeyrathne and Indunil Herath arrived in Sri Lanka yesterday after their Turkmenistan heroics and was straight away brought down to Matara to run the 800m heats. The pair ran without having any sleep as they were travelling for hours in two flights to get to Matara. The event was delayed for around 1 and half hours in the morning waiting for them to arrive from the airport. Both of them won their heats comfortably getting ready for today's finals.
Olympic torch drama
The opening ceremony in the afternoon was attended by Prime Minister Ranil Wickramasinghe and Sports Minister Dayasiri Jayasekara with former national athletes Sujith Rohitha and Dammika Menike were set to light the games' flame. But after going through a lap with the torch they failed to light up the lamp as it was made without considering the length of the torch and it was too tall for them to reach. Officials had to light up a long stick to finally get it lit up.
Athletes go through hell
As usual athletes had to go through hell to win medals at NSF where they were sleeping on small desks inside school class rooms and were mostly sleepless due to mosquitoes. On Thursday athletes who arrived at the ground for registration had to wait till 9 p.m. as there was only one desk and two officers to do the registering which went on until late night.
As Ceylon Today revealed yesterday Southern Province athletes did not participate in the opening ceremony in protest for removing Southern Province Sports Minister Weerasumana Weerasinghe last week. Only officials participated in the opening ceremony and march past.
10000m: 1. Lionel Samarajeewa (CP) 31:14.22 sec, 2. G.K. Bandara (CP) 31:18.48 sec, 3. A.P. Maduranga (SGP) 31:33.03 sec
Discus Throw: 1. Z.T.M. Aasik (EP) 42.97m, 2. D.B. Ratnayake (CP) 41.68m, 3. Sunanda Niroshana (SP) 41.21m
5000m: 1. Nilani Rathnayaka (SGP) 17:09.6 sec 2. Nilani Ariyadasa (SGP) 17:35.0 sec, 3. Anusha Lamahewa (Uva) 17:50.0 sec
Shot Put: 1. Tharika Fernando (WP) 14:35.m, 2. Nadeeka Muthunayake (CP) 12.19m, 3. PS Klarans (Uva) 11.94m,
Triple Jump: 1. Sanjaya Jayasinghe (SGP) 15.78m, 2. Atheetha Karunasinghe (WP) 15.75m, 3. H.G. Sampath (Uva) 15.51m.
Pole Vault: 1. Anitha Jagatheshwaran (NP) 3.48m, 2. Anoma Karunawansha (EP) 3.10m, 3. S.D. Ranasinghe (WP) 3.00m
- Khaleda Zia’s conviction and its repercussions
- China is biggest impediment to Korean reunification
- Trump’s Budget Priorities: Crimes Against Humanity?
- Mahanayake Thera of Asgiriya Chapter says Unity Govt should be scrapped
- Corruption case against Wimal on 16 May
- Govt won’t last till next General Election - JO
- Lankan fisherman yearns to return home
- EU awards 18 schols To promote sustainable consumption and production
- Ready for a rally
- Harassing tribal woman Lankan held in Andhra Pradesh
- People are very angry says Mavai
- Awards for bright religious students
- Delimitation Committee Report Govt must hold APC CaFFE
- Father of two requires urgent kidney transplant Seeks public help to raise Rs 1.5 M
- 2014 Aluthgama riot Govt to compensate victims in March & April
- Gajaba Regiment hands out schols
- Leadership training for principals suspended
- PAFFREL urges Appoint maximum number of women possible
- Tender irregularities hinted at A/L Tab Project temporarily suspended Project is being re-evaluated Rajitha
- CID wants INTERPOL ‘Red Notice’ on Mahendran
- Inquest into Bellanwila thera’s death Coroner complains to IGP Claims Boralesgamuwa Police ignored warnings
- 14 Hump Nosed Lizards born at Dehiwala Zoo
- EC informs party secys and ind group leaders 25% of 8,356 elected must be women Speaker says 25% quota not scrapped
- SL bidder for EAP Group chastises CBSL Over negotiation process
- Non-renewal of MoU Unity Govt cannot continue – Opposition
- In form CR to try and outmatch Kandy
- Havelocks face Navy SC at Race Course
- Madushanka doubtful for Nidahas Trophy
- SLSRFA to conduct workshop
- Trinity close on heels of St. Aloysius
- Khan leads Afghanistan to thumping series win
- Sri Lanka face India in the curtain raiser
- Third doping scandal hits Games
- Bayliss willing to step aside as T20 coach
- Brazilian match abandoned after brawl
- Shirantha promises transparency and accountability in NOC
- Rashid, Bumrah joint No.1 in ODI rankings
- Wigan shock Man City
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Sampath Bank reports Profit After Tax above Rs 12B
- Dfcc Bank records impressive performance in 2017
- Hayleys Advantis partners IRONMAN 70.3 Colombo
- SL troops facelift Sakkotei tourist attraction
- Pantum becomes distributor for EWIS Peripherals
- Hyundai Lanka appoints AutoMaasters as authorized dealer in Jaffna
- Will online retailing outdo traditional retailing?
- Sarvodaya Finance joins LankaPay Common ATM Network
- JLanka Technologies to participate at Architect 2018
- Edirisinghe Brothers’ Hybrid Hub, SLIC to open Hybrid Vehicle Clinics
- NDB holds all-night Pirith ceremony
- AI-powered Dialog Voice Agent now on Google Assistant
- SLIM represents SL at prestigious conference in Asia
- NTB American Express travel around the world winners to visit five cities
- Munchee Super Cream Crackers ranks on top
- Ceylinco Life donates High Dependency Unit to Kalubowila Hospital
- Asian shares slip as dollar firms
- Cabinet approval underway for National Audit Bill Bill to be tabled in Parliament shortly
- Unpoliticized Maritime Promotion Bureau required: Ports Authority Chairman
- ComBank licensed for Microfinance operations in Myanmar
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Welcome to Earth
- Can nuclear technology zap hunger?
- Bouncing back from LG election drubbing
- Trapped by the system Ethiopian workers in Lebanon see no freedom
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Gota is Lankan Putin – Gammanpila
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep