True inclusivity in the makeup world
When it came to her new makeup line, Rihanna had a "wild thought": inclusivity. Fenty Beauty by Rihanna launched in USA on 8 September 2017, and the line has already made waves in the beauty industry.
The new line has 40 different foundation shades along with concealers, highlighters and blotting paper among others. When you managed to take a peek at the foundation collection, you'll notice the wide range of shades available. And sadly, this is still something rare within the beauty industry, which was exactly why business women Riri took it upon herself to make a change. Rihanna created the line after experimenting with all types of products throughout her years in and out of the limelight, and finding that there was still a something missing – a line that caters for all skin shades and tones. She designed Fenty Beauty so that "women everywhere would be included." It's cruelty free and the line is named after the stars own real name. With 40 foundation shades and 20 concealer stick colours, getting that perfect blend should be that bit easier now. And people love it. As of last week eight of the 10 deep foundations were sold out on Sephora's website, illustrating the demand for makeup that caters to women of colour.
"Fenty Beauty was created for everyone: for women of all shades, personalities, attitudes, cultures, and races," Rihanna wrote on her makeup line's website. "I wanted everyone to feel included."
Affinity Magazine tweeted that "The dark Fenty Beauty foundation shades are sold
out everywhere! This is for all the makeup brands who think the dark shades won't sell well". Pink+White (@amir_ahhh) tweeted out "I work at Sephora and I've NEVER SEEN SO MANY [women of colour] IN OUR STORE. Plus, all the deeper shades of fenty beauty are sold out. That's amazing."
Some are touting Rihanna's makeup line as a game-changer. "Shoutout to @rihanna for finally showing the makeup industry what inclusive means," one fan, Ellie Lamkin (@ekl817), wrote on Twitter.
Actresses Gabourey Sidibe and Mindy Kaling are also celebrating the beauty line. "In case you're wondering about #FentyBeauty on dark skin, issa YES for me dawg," Sidibe tweeted. "#FentyBeauty has got SHADES! Thank you @rihanna!!! Kween!" Kaling added. Model Nneoma Anosike, one of 40 women displaying the range of available shades on Fenty Beauty's site, shared her thoughts on the line's significance on Instagram. "Representing one of the dark shades of foundation for @fentybeauty is an amazing thing not only because it was created by Rihanna but more importantly, that the beauty world for people of colour has welcomed yet another brand that goes into understanding that we melanins have different undertones and shades- not just 3 but multiple! We have amazing brands representing us, yes, but not enough. I believe we are getting there slowly, and some day we are going to have too many and for all. But for now, we have 40 shades from Fenty Beauty to use! Meaning that I get a shade, you get a shade, and every freaking one of you can get a shade- so girl, go look! Thank you Fenty beauty and @badgalriri. Welcome to the makeup world! You started with a bang!"
It's not just woman of colour who are rejoicing. Krystal Robertson, a 25-year-old licensed practical nurse from Mississippi. She described herself to BuzzFeed News as a "complete makeup junkie." However, Robertson has always had trouble finding makeup that matched perfectly because of her unique skin tone. She has albinism, meaning she has no skin pigmentation. Aside from cosmetics considerations, Robertson says her condition means she'll burn if she's exposed to the sun for too long and also affects her eyesight. But when it comes to makeup, most foundations Robertson has tried would leave her with a "weird yellow–orange ring around my face," she said. "Even if I bought the lightest shade for that brand, it would still be darker than my complexion," she said. Unfortunately, Robertson said these makeup mishaps led her to be bullied in high school. "One day it was so bad," she said. "I did my makeup in bad lighting and I didn't know until I got outside and on the bus. The kids laughed at me all day, it was horrible. As soon as I got off the bus, I headed to bathroom and washed and scrubbed my face to get the makeup off."
"Even if I bought the lightest shade for that brand, it would still be darker than my complexion," she said. Robertson's high school drama teacher took her under her wing and worked with her to find the best foundation for her unique colouring. The closest they could find was CoverGirl's creamy beige, which Robertson has used ever since.
"There was still a small noticeable light ring around my face so I would use it on my neck and try to blend it in ... but then the rest of my body would still be off-colour," she said. Still, Robertson said she made do, because "makeup junkies never quit."
So, when Rihanna announced she was developing Fenty Beauty, a makeup line dedicated to all skin tones, Robertson was hopeful she could find her perfect shade, too.
"I rushed to Rihanna social media pages, but they were not ready for sale so I waited and waited," she said. "I live an hour away from Sephora so when they made Fenty Beauty available I rushed to YouTube. I watched so many reviews and that's how I was able to pick my shade, ordered online, then waited and waited some more for delivery."
The result? It was a PERFECT match. Robertson excitedly posted about her shade, #110, on Instagram. "I'm freaking out... rethinking all the times I ended up orange," she said. "It's a new world great job @badgalriri #AlbinoMatch."
Her Instagram post, and a post she wrote on Facebook, soon spread throughout the internet. So much so that Rihanna herself posted Robertson's review on her Instagram story and followed her.
(Source: ok.co.uk, edition.cnn.com and buzzfeed.com)
- Khaleda Zia’s conviction and its repercussions
- China is biggest impediment to Korean reunification
- Trump’s Budget Priorities: Crimes Against Humanity?
- Mahanayake Thera of Asgiriya Chapter says Unity Govt should be scrapped
- Corruption case against Wimal on 16 May
- Govt won’t last till next General Election - JO
- Lankan fisherman yearns to return home
- EU awards 18 schols To promote sustainable consumption and production
- Ready for a rally
- Harassing tribal woman Lankan held in Andhra Pradesh
- People are very angry says Mavai
- Awards for bright religious students
- Delimitation Committee Report Govt must hold APC CaFFE
- Father of two requires urgent kidney transplant Seeks public help to raise Rs 1.5 M
- 2014 Aluthgama riot Govt to compensate victims in March & April
- Gajaba Regiment hands out schols
- Leadership training for principals suspended
- PAFFREL urges Appoint maximum number of women possible
- Tender irregularities hinted at A/L Tab Project temporarily suspended Project is being re-evaluated Rajitha
- CID wants INTERPOL ‘Red Notice’ on Mahendran
- Inquest into Bellanwila thera’s death Coroner complains to IGP Claims Boralesgamuwa Police ignored warnings
- 14 Hump Nosed Lizards born at Dehiwala Zoo
- EC informs party secys and ind group leaders 25% of 8,356 elected must be women Speaker says 25% quota not scrapped
- SL bidder for EAP Group chastises CBSL Over negotiation process
- Non-renewal of MoU Unity Govt cannot continue – Opposition
- In form CR to try and outmatch Kandy
- Havelocks face Navy SC at Race Course
- Madushanka doubtful for Nidahas Trophy
- SLSRFA to conduct workshop
- Trinity close on heels of St. Aloysius
- Khan leads Afghanistan to thumping series win
- Sri Lanka face India in the curtain raiser
- Third doping scandal hits Games
- Bayliss willing to step aside as T20 coach
- Brazilian match abandoned after brawl
- Shirantha promises transparency and accountability in NOC
- Rashid, Bumrah joint No.1 in ODI rankings
- Wigan shock Man City
- Black Caps coach rejects call to scrap T20
- Richmond in comprehensive win
- Arsenal announce record shirt deal with Emirates
- Olympics reels as ‘clean’ Russian curler hit by doping case
- Kandy SC too good for Airmen
- Red Stars SC emerge division I champions
- Hundreds participate in CISM Run
- Sampath Bank reports Profit After Tax above Rs 12B
- Dfcc Bank records impressive performance in 2017
- Hayleys Advantis partners IRONMAN 70.3 Colombo
- SL troops facelift Sakkotei tourist attraction
- Pantum becomes distributor for EWIS Peripherals
- Hyundai Lanka appoints AutoMaasters as authorized dealer in Jaffna
- Will online retailing outdo traditional retailing?
- Sarvodaya Finance joins LankaPay Common ATM Network
- JLanka Technologies to participate at Architect 2018
- Edirisinghe Brothers’ Hybrid Hub, SLIC to open Hybrid Vehicle Clinics
- NDB holds all-night Pirith ceremony
- AI-powered Dialog Voice Agent now on Google Assistant
- SLIM represents SL at prestigious conference in Asia
- NTB American Express travel around the world winners to visit five cities
- Munchee Super Cream Crackers ranks on top
- Ceylinco Life donates High Dependency Unit to Kalubowila Hospital
- Asian shares slip as dollar firms
- Cabinet approval underway for National Audit Bill Bill to be tabled in Parliament shortly
- Unpoliticized Maritime Promotion Bureau required: Ports Authority Chairman
- ComBank licensed for Microfinance operations in Myanmar
- Subramanian Swamy’s love-hate relationship with Sri Lanka
- Tea, haircuts and fish bones Letting the light into Pakistan
- REVISITING SRI LANKA’S FOREIGN POLICY
- Howlers that wreck language
- Pursuing Peace The UN’s lack of accountability
- Welcome to Earth
- Can nuclear technology zap hunger?
- Bouncing back from LG election drubbing
- Trapped by the system Ethiopian workers in Lebanon see no freedom
- Current Marketing Practices Customer is King! Does it really apply to us?
- Gota is Lankan Putin – Gammanpila
- President and PM are responsible for the election results
- Basil says…Await the return of ‘Spiritual Leader’ MR
- Rajapaksas’ Presidential hopeful is Gota
- Sins of the past Govt cannot be forgotten- Anura Kumara
- Accomplice to the crime Our own indifference
- UK flower farm suspected of enslaving migrants
- Costly Renovation
- REV. PROF BELLANWILA WIMALARATANA THERA
- Why Masses Brought Victory to Past President
- White Sapphire absorbs the power of Venus
- Partial eclipse that occurred on Feb 16
- Effects of Sun in Aquarius
- Some recent impressions
- Bandula Nanayakkarawasam: From Galle to the world
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cowboy boots
- Pauline Kael: The critic wore cow boy boots
- “Hail, Caesar!” Silliness as a virtue
- Notes on history: The thinkers and the doers
- Reflections on a nation of non-readers
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Never say never to anything!
- What’s In My Bag I want to carry my dog Ricky Ruchira
- Indian Elegance Raaya Clothing & Accessories
- Election promises that took people for a ride
- 7 killed in Florida school shooting by former student: sheriff
- Man with moustache who went to Rajarata a thousand times in a ramshackle Jeep