Best Hikes in Sri Lanka
By Uwin Lugoda
Hiking is one of the best ways to experience nature, and nothing speaks of nature like the diverse terrain of Sri Lanka.
Littered with gorgeous mountainous landscapes and hidden waterfalls, Sri Lanka has become famous among avid hikers. While each hike is different from the other, whether it is in distance or the difficulty level, all of them lead to beautiful locations.
Here are some of the best hikes you can go for in Sri Lanka:
The second tallest mountain in Sri Lanka is home to a grand hike. Located in the Nuwara Eliya District to the west of the Horton Plains, Kirigalpoththa is the highest summit in the country accessible by the general public. This is because the highest peak, Pidurutalagala, is home to a military base and is off-limits to the public.
The hike is 12 km and is a fairly easy one. Starting at the Horton Plains National Park, the trek takes you through marshy lands, a tributary of the Belihul Oya and finally across a beautiful cloud forest. Throughout the hike you find yourself being exposed to this island's unique flora and fauna, Binara flower, horned chameleon and sometimes even leopards.
Finally at the end of the hike you are greeted with a complete panoramic view, with no obstructions. The trek is an amazing experience and the view you get at the top is one you won't see anywhere else.
Ella Rock hike
Ella is one of those places that came into reality straight out of a fairytale. Surrounded by beautiful landscape, untouched by man, Ella has become one of, if not the most famous hike in all of Sri Lanka.
Starting off at the Ella Railway Station, the trail takes you through train tracks; passes a waterfall, a rubber tree forest and a tea plantation. And once you reach the top, you will be witness to a breathtaking view of the valley below and the surrounding landscape.
The hike is also home to a beautiful sunrise and sunset, making the ideal times to climb the rock, either early in the morning or late afternoon.
This particular hike has been attracting adventurers from all over the globe making the Ella town a famous tourist spot in Sri Lanka.
The Knuckles Mountain Range has gained fame due to its beautiful scenery, lush ecosystem and rich history.
The mountain range covers parts of Kandy and Matale districts, and earns its name from the fact that the peaks create the illusion of a clenched fist.
The mountain range is a hikers' paradise, with its beautiful views, crystal clear waterways, cloudy forest and, exquisite flora and fauna. One of the remarkable features of this area is that it holds most of Sri Lanka's climatic conditions within it.
Knuckles, is home to multiple peaks, to trek all of them you will have to camp out in the forest for a few days. Due to the vastness of the mountain range a guide who knows the mountains is needed to show you around so you don't lose your way.
Tourist and locals from all over the world come to experience the range. It's the perfect place to get away, as it takes you away from the busy cities and into a wholly different world where nature meets the soul.
Mini Adam's Peak
This is the closest and easiest hike in Ella. With a not so rough terrain, almost anyone can complete the hike.
Just a 15 minute walk from Ella town and you will reach the entry point to this hike. The entire hike takes around one and a half hours and is more like a relaxing stroll instead of a hike. Mini Adam's Peak is 1141m in height and provides you with a 360 degree panoramic view once at the top.
The trail takes trekkers through tea estates and through some amazing views.
Mini Adam's Peak is best experienced in the morning and the evening so that you can catch the sunrise or the sunset. This also helps avoid the hot afternoon sun beating down on you while you climb.
This is the perfect hike for amateur trekkers, but it's definitely a must for tourist and locals.
Solution must be acceptable to Tamils Separate State is not a reasonable request - Former Army Commander, General Gerry De Silva RWP, VSV, USP
- India joins Wassenaar Arrangement
- A story of two blockades New York City and Yemen
- Merkel’s Germany: Shaper or Taker of a United Europe?
- Wiggy request voters to elect honest politicians
- No Natural Disasters but man-made ones –Prof. Gomes
- Rejected nomination lists SLPP packed with incompetent people – Sagala
- ‘Samurdhi Shakthi’ to be launched To showcase Samurdhi families’ talents
- Chinese worker plunges to his death at Mahabage
- Garbage mounts at Gampaha Hospital Row over incinerator
- LG Elections JVP offers protection to ‘clean’ officials
- SLFP to launch manifesto this week
- President at SLMA
- Scuffle inside temple premises Chief Monk, two others injured
- Postal Unions threaten to Strike Demand for a ‘Closed Service’
- Russian ban on Lankan tea Govt ignored earlier warning - Udayanga
- Govt has no foreign policy - Namal
- CEB unions in strike threat Over simmering bonus issue
- Malaysian PM arrives
- Russian tea row President to contact Putin
- Beetle in Lankan tea shipment to Russia Exporter to be spared says Pethiyagoda
- Canadian Police probe ‘suspicious’ deaths of billionaire couple
- Stock Market Investor losses extend to Rs 94B
- Use of polythene in political rallies CEA to take on offenders
- Draft Legislation HRCSL advice not sought – UN Experts
- Drugs and drug users on the increase
- Sri Lanka dismissed for 215 in 3rd ODI
- Bowling in T10 can help T20 skills - Amir
- Dialog Champions League Java Lane beat Navy SC
- Army in nerve racking win
- Russia making progress over doping says Coe
- Australia close to Ashes glory
- County grind 'sucks pace' out of England quicks Finn
- Nidahas Trophy 2018 SL skipper formally invites India SLC
- One dead as fans clash after Algeria derby
- Real retains Club World Cup
- Ronaldo wants to retire at Real
- 31st NYSC-Rupavahini Volleyball Tournament CEB and SLAF win men’s/women’s titles
- City make it 16 in a row
- Dialog President’s Gold Cup Volleyball Championship finals commence today
- Premier League Inter Club Cricket Tournament High scoring draw at CCC
- Dhawan, spinners seal series for India
- Premier League – Tier ‘B’ Navy and Air Force win
- Visakhapatnam will favour the home team Batsmen to dominate decider
- Jadeja hits six sixes in an over
- Ntini’s son Thando in SA U-19 World Cup squad
- SLTB AND TEA CHAIRMEN ENDORSE NO PERIL, BUT AUCTION PRICES COULD DIP
- Commercial agriculture in Wet Zone will reap high rice yields CBSL Governor Dry Zone yields low, measures needed to arrest disturbing trend
- Treasury sells dollars to CBSL From H’tota Port proceeds
- Unions go back on their word - SriLankan Chairman
- Make up your minds – Harsha tells businessmen
- Recognition for SL power supplier
- Rupee down 2.54-2.61% YoY
- GDP rate shows positive trend
- Asian stocks come under pressure as dollar struggles
- Way forward for village power producers Team Up With Large Developers WB
- Workplace practices not fit for the New Year
- Brexit deal proves critics wrong - Theresa May
- WINNING GLOBAL CEO AWARD, MY SIGNATURE HONOUR Retired Kahawatte Plantations Plc Deputy Chairman and Watawala Plantations Plc Ceo, Dr. Daniel Vasanthakumar Seevaratnam reminisces
- IPM Sri Lanka crowned overall winner at NBEA 2017
- Desktop FriMi wins global Award
- CMA Sri Lanka graduation ceremony 2017
- LOLC Micro Credit felicitates Grade 5 scholarship high-flyers
- The Singing Christmas Tree comes alive once again at MLH
- Com Bank’s Vocational Training flagship CSR project
- Govt backtracks on anti-coal policy Two 600MW coal plants coming up
- Changing Political Horizons in Sri Lanka?
- Modi’s Gujarat:Installing a Rahul Gandhi Government
- Protect Wilpattu Movement set in motion 5K strong turnout march in peaceful protest to UN office & handover petition
- Concretes & Abstracts Faith, Wayside Shrines & Urban Sprawl
- TGTE using Lawyers to challenge SL’s 6th amendment
- Nat Assets during Prabhakaran’s and Ranil’s heydays
- Mexican drug wars:Women murders on the rise
- Ahead of the LG Polls Identifying 500,000 untagged Lankans!
- Indian movie moguls Avoiding the Weinstein effect
- New Land Draft BiLL Political wrangling hinders ironing out complex land issues
- Maithri should not sit in a Cabinet sans SLFPers
- Wigneswaran sowing seeds of communalism
- SLFP supports devolution of power – Lasantha Alagiyawanna
- If Bond scammers are not prosecuted…President will lose his credibility –Bandula Gunawardena
- All information security issues are not cyber crimes
- Sirisena Presidency - A Parallax View As foretold by Sobhitha Hamuduruwo
- Blessed are the peacemakers
- Disinformation campaigns and public mistrust
- Kemadruma Yoga An evil yoga cancelling all other favourable yogas
- Sun into Sagittarius ‘Kona Month’ has just begun
- Inviting wrath of goddess Lakshmi
- Five Yoga Poses to Calm Your Mind
- Rahu in 7th House and marriage
- The Disaster Artist: The (un)making of a movie
- Our children and our cinema
- INTERPRETING ASIAN CINEMA: CHALLENGES AHEAD
- How Sanskrit journalism is slowly hogging headlines
- ice manufacturing in South Asia
- CMSC’s season finale concert
- Two documentaries on Sri Lanka in Film South Asia 2017
- Politics of nostalgia
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- I don’t get asked out
- Homemade apple & Chocolate Bodywash
- THE WRITER’S KITCHENETTE HOW THE GRINCH STOLE CHRISTMAS CUPCAKES Grinch Cupcakes
- New York Blast Terror charges filed against NY bomber
- Saga of Kohukumbure Rate Rala
- Attygalle murder and John Kotelawala Senior’s suicide