Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
By Uwin Lugoda
If you love hiking, camping or watching the sunset from atop a beautiful mountain, then Ella is definitely for you. Surrounded by a beautiful landscape, Ella is home to two of the most scenic hikes in all of Sri Lanka. The hike up Ella rock and to mini Adam's peak has been attracting trekkers from all over the world, and has made Ella one of the hottest tourist spots in Sri Lanka.
The rock can be seen from anywhere in Ella and is extremely easy to distinguish from the other mountains.
The tough hike up the mountain is nothing compared to the view you get once you reach the very top. The four hour long hike may not seem like much, but it takes a lot of energy and will power to complete.
This hike is one of the best in Sri Lanka for many reasons, one of which is the diverseness of the hike. Starting off in the Ella train station, the trail takes you through train tracks; pass a waterfall, a rubber tree forest and a tea plantation. And once you reach the top, you will be greeted by a panoramic view that is accompanied by the mist and clouds.
The best time to climb the rock would be in the early morning where you'd be able to see the sunrise from atop Ella Rock and in the evening to see the sunset. During the rainy days the path can be slippery and caution should be taken. The locals are more than helpful and will give you directions on which paths are safer to take.
Once at the top, there is a small clearing that is perfect for camping. The whole area seems untouched by people, even though it has thousands of visitors each year. This is thanks to the conservation efforts of authorities and locals to keep this Sri Lankan gem pristine.
Mini Adams peaks is one of those rare beauties that you just want to keep going back to. For this reason it has become one of the best attractions in all of Ella.
This is the closest and easiest hike to Ella. With a not so rough terrain, almost anyone can complete the hike. Just a 15 min walk from Ella town along the Passara Road and you will reach the entry point to this hike. Or you could also get there using public transport, and get down at the 3rd mile post just after the flower Garden Resort.
The entire hike takes around one and a half hours and is more like a relaxing stroll instead a hike. Mini Adam's Peak is 1141m in height and provides you with a 360 degree panoramic view once at the top. One of the many reasons tourists love this hike is because the trail in itself is a worthwhile experience. It takes you through lush green tea estates and brings you across some amazing views that cannot be seen anywhere else.
Mini Adam's Peak is best experienced in the morning and the evening so that you can catch the sunrise or the sunset. This also helps avoid the hot afternoon sun beating down on you while you climb.
Anyone visiting Ella should do both these hikes. Each of them gives a unique experience to the traveller, and both the views from atop Ella rock and Mini Adams peak are two things everyone should have in their bucket list.
- Quo Vadis, China?
- Why Americans are no longer dynamic
- Pardon and release the 158 Tamil remand prisoners
- Workshops to develop tourism in the East
- SWOAD promotes rights of migrant workers
- PAFFREL seeks Gazetting of Elections Amendment Bill
- CMB Port City: Work will be completed by 2019– Sagala Ratnayaka
- AKD’s RTI request from TRC pending a reply
- Alliance Française gets new library & information corner
- Give more women & youth a chance – March 12 Movt
- SL and Pakistan to consolidate bilateral relations
- Missing girls surrender to Police Three charged with abduction
- Amaraweera claims life in danger
- For energy security SL to enter into agreement with Qatar
- Sex spray puts 3 girls in hospital
- JVP to sue Johnnie for Rs 500 M
- Hosting SAARC Summit Pakistan assured of SL’s support
- International Conventions and Debasement of Legislative Process Part II
- Developing education sector Will take tough decisions – Akila Viraj
- Guangzhou looking for investment opportunities – Tu Hongze
- Three women go missing in Orugodawatte
- Awareness on violence against women Mahela and Kumar address students
- Foreign Secretary’s visit to Sri Lanka Pakistan commits to stronger ties
- Sashi to take Ranjan to Court
- allegedly defrauded more than Rs 100mn Employment fraudster remanded
- Kusal Perera ruled out from Pakistan T20Is
- De Villiers hits thrilling century
- Sri Lanka ‘A’ tour of West Indies 2nd Four day match starts today
- Sluggish Sri Lanka move slowly
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket St. John’s Jaffna create major upset
- SL women’s tour of WIndies T20 matches start today
- Sri Lanka approaching Pakistan visit cautiously
- Wattala Antonian Sixes 2017 this weekend
- Golf ‘really healthy’ even without Tiger, says Rose
- Lanka Lions Tag Rugby Sevens Trinity wins cup for fifth time in UAE
- TTSC Softball Cricket ‘Sixes’ 2017 51 Men’s, 7 Women’s teams battle for honours
- Kuldeep cements place in Indian attack
- SL out to save series Batsmen aren’t fulfilling their responsibilities - Managers and Coach Kapugedera likely to play today
- Gunathilaka’s ban revised - SLC Ex-Co
- Sadeera to be included in ODI team
- 130 SRI LANKA AMATEUR GOLF CHAMPIONSHIP 2017 at NUWARA ELIYA Chalitha Pushpika topples indian top seed Sri Lanka 3 out of 4 in SEMI-FINAL
- ‘Singer Cup’ U-19 Schools Cricket Kamindu Mendis scores third ton
- Royal regain E.F.C. Pereira Challenge Trophy
- DSI Supersport Schools Volleyball Championship 2017 Finals just around the corner
- All Blacks coach backs Sonny Bill Williams
- SL remains too protectionist
- Govt. aims $1.6B FDI next year, $2B in 2019
- 70% growth from consumption and investment
- ADB debuts risk sharing to support trade in developing Asia
- SL GDP to grow 7% from 2020 - Mangala
- Retail sector asks for Govt support to boost retail tourism
- Dr. coom in for good times!
- ‘Excon 2017’ Road Show to highlight SL construction sector
- Sri Lanka impresses investors in New York
- West Coast beach front soaring in value
- Asia markets tread water Investors scrutinize China’s Party Congress
- SL among Asia’s fastest adopters of cloud computing
- Hosted by Sri Lanka-China Business Cooperation Council
- Toyota Lanka contributes Hybrid Learning Centre to AETI
- Value of social networking yet to be determined
- Sri Lanka to inaugurate performance art center for tourists
- Guangzhou Govt representatives positive about investing
- Lanka Hospitals & Sri Lanka Heart Association to mark World Heart Day
- BBDO Lanka strikes gold at Effies
- Sampath Bank celebrates ‘Thrift Month’ with eco-friendly gifts
- Implications of Provincial Police Departments
- Cairo: Most dangerous megacity for women
- Proxy Waiting
- Shortage of Science Graduates
- Rice Revolution Simply a Catalyst or more…?
- Fall of Raqqa
- UN urges B’desh to move Rohingya refugees
- Flu shots are the greatest medical fraud in the history of the world
- Sucking it up
- Ahikuntika community of Sri Lanka Diminishing cultural traits
- Even the PM should be in Prison for the frauds
- Would like more Pradeshiya Sabhas for N’Eliya-Radhakrishnan
- Skills mismatch a massive economic cost Education system must be reformed
- Federalism is the antithesis of separatism Wiggy
- Kiriella has no right to ask me not to speak-Handunnetti
- UNHRC Resolution 30/1 Implications for Sri Lanka (Part II) (Based on a presentation to the OPA)
- Electoral Reforms are for People’s Benefit
- Managing perception with international community
- Salient points of horoscope Assessment
- KARMIC CONNECTIONS IN THE BIRTH CHARTS 2
- Dream of travelling abroad?
- Mystery behind Osama bin Laden explained
- Three poses to relieve trauma
- Socio-economic developments from critical perspective
- KAZUO ISHIGURO – THE NEW NOBEL LAUREATE
- The Fairway Galle Literary Festival 2018 –Internationally acclaimed authors to take part
- Portrayal of country and nature
- Resonant Field Imaging - a Marvel in Technology
- Shankar’s International Children’s Competition 2018
- Hindustani Violin recital
- Classical rendering of a masterly-crafted musical
- Kite Surfing Lanka Kalpitiya An experience of a lifetime
- Ella and mini Adam’s Peak
- A cave of history -Ravana Cave
- Making plus-sized clothing trendy
- Pyjamas go viral as well - Sharmila Srikumar
- Giving back to Society
- Double treat at Pinnawala
- Mental illness a health issue Replacing stigma with compassion
- Studying to be ahead